PDA

View Full Version : Kalihiwai Sunrise

rkprod
06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
This is my latest painting of an actual location on the island of Kauai. This is Kalihiwai Bay with the Kilauea Lighthouse in the distance at sunrise. The bay is on the North Shore of the island and the Lighthouse has the largest bulb of its type in the world. I have been considering painting some birds over the bay. The cliffs on the right include the Kilauea National Wildlife Sancturay were thousands of seabirds nest. Not sure if they would complement or detract.

This is my largest painting ever at 15" x 45". Had to rearrange my studio to accomodate a canvas this wide. But now I can even go wider.

Oil on canvas.

Comments and suggestions always appreciated. Thanks for looking,
Ron

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2011/159067-Kalihiwai-Sunrise_1.jpg

climber-man
06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
It's truly majestic Ron, a great glow in the piece!

Gillette
06-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi Ron,
that's a real beauty, and what a wonderful size.
I love your palette in this one too.
Jane.

randalljazz
06-30-2011, 01:23 AM
superb, ron! no need to add anything to that gorgeous sky, imho.

mooz49
06-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Gorgeous work Ron ..... it would brighten up any room at that size! :thumbsup:

Marty C
06-30-2011, 04:23 AM
Beautiful, Ron, wonderful light and a terrific sweeping vista.

lathadamle
06-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Wonderful painting. Lighthouse though distant looks striking. Sky, the water, all superb. One small observation: not a big one to incorporate, just my feeling. Pink on water and sky could have been slightly towards orange might make it more realistic. Now of course it is mystique! :thumbsup:

Skyenorth
06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Ron, great to see your latest painting. I think it is beautiful as it is. Packed with beautiful luminous light this is a very special painting.

ronart
06-30-2011, 08:53 AM
WOW! Ron that is awesome, the colors are beautiful

Ronnie

evieclm
06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
A beautiful painting!

JDWooldridge
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
I LOVE that sky Ron!! I'm sure you could pull off some birds that would not detract but my first thought is to just let this be!

DominicM
06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
wow, jaw droppingly beautiful

sjs
07-01-2011, 06:42 PM
This is beautiful, Ron!

rkprod
07-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Brian - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Jane - You are very kind. Thank you for your encouraging comments.

Randall - Thanks! Still not sure about the birds, but your advise does make me think, probably not.

Anne - You are always so generous with your comments. You are the angel of this forum.

Marty - Thanks, much appreciated.

Latha - Thank you for your kind words. The sunrises in Kauai are the pinkest I've ever seen. Must be something in the atmosphere.

Caroline - Thank you so much. I am a big fan of your work, so for you to enjoy mine is very rewarding.

Ron - Thanks! Really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Evelyn - It is always a treat to have comments from new members. Welcome to our forum. Glad you liked my work.

John - Thanks so much. Glad your Arkansas roots do not prohibit you from enjoying the ocean.

Dominic - Wow! Humbling comment. Thank you so much.

Sarah - Thank you! Glad you liked it.

skappy
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
This is gorgeous Ron:clap: :clap:
Robert

jocko500
07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
this is lovely.
as for the birds if you not sure paint some on paper the size that would fit the painting with some acyclic paint as it dries fast or use what ever you wish and cut them out and tape them to the painting to see how it would look. just a idea about the birds.
or tape them on a sheet of plastic and put up over the painting . Just had that idea.

thecatpainter
07-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I love it, the sky is perfect!
The ocean is beautiful, and the lighthouse in the distance is a great touch :)

Superb!

rkprod
07-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Robert - Thanks for your comment.Glad you liked it.

Jock - Thank you for taking the time to make your suggestions. Good ideas, but I've decided to leave it as it is and move on to the next painting. Maybe I'll add some birds in the next one.

Cat Painter - Thank you for your comments. They are very much appreciated. Welcome to the Marine Forum. I am uncomfortable referring to you as Cat Painter, but I don't know your name.