PDA

View Full Version : Stand, Sit, work flat, Easel??

Dcam
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
I started a thread like this in pastels and it brought up some great opinions. How do you like to work? I have to say, I usually work on an easel; standing. New health research shows that sitting for long periods is just not healthy for many reasons. I used to love to sit in my big cozy office chair on wheels, but got lazy.
On occasion I like to have my work flat on a table and after reading about some artists who do this and an artist friend who actually goes out painting with a folding table plein air, I thought I might experiment.
A new invention in offices now is the "Standing Table". Some swear by it and after some sore feet for a week or so, grow to love it.
I did this last painting (that most have seen here) while standing at a table. You might think well, how could you step back and get a good view of what you are doing? Easy, I just propped up the painting to vertical....stepped back and voila! Another reason I felt good at the table while painting this is the fact that I hate Mahl sticks but love detail. So.....how do YOU like to work?
Concrete barn Painted flat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2011/183894-LONGbarn2.jpg

idylbrush
06-28-2011, 03:50 PM
For the most part I stand at a drafting table but have been known to use a easel. Recent studies I have read suggest standing as a good choice. I do much the same as you with the standing back thing.

Dcam
06-28-2011, 05:04 PM
This is not me :lol: .
It is a pro Sumi-e painter. Maybe it is all in the way you hold the brush?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2011/183894-asumi.jpg

bluefish
06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Derek

I have an executive chair left over from the office days that I can swing around from an large wooden easel to a drafting table with verticle capabilities......table for paint on the right side of the chair/easel......
very comfortable.....all on a elevated 2"x6" wooden floor with insulation under, all over a concrete floor.....pastel dust falls between the floor board cracks and acrylic paint dots the boards....a beautiful abstract!!!!LOL!

A large 'slop sink' is next to the drafting table for easy access to water and clean up.....also coated with acrylic paint....I may sell both the sink and floor boards if 'abstacts' ever get popular again :lol:

'blue....' :wave:

Dcam
06-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Pretty cool setup Blue. How you gonna "frame" that floor abstract?

Ahhh what I would do for a sink in my studio. I go down to the basement and get the bucket.

Harold; Drafting tables can be great if you get a big one.
Cheers, derek

Einion
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Personally I think that seats were created for a reason! There's a lot to recommend working while seated. I'd put my money of most of the issues surrounding people sitting for long periods being that they're the same type of people who don't exercise as much as they should - sedentary job, sedentary lifestyle.

And being on your feet excessively, especially standing on your feet, is the cause of a lot of complaints itself, one of which is varicose veins (surgeons at higher risk of these, just like waitresses) but there's also the potential for knee, hip, back and neck issues.

Einion

Einion
06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Derek, everyone: if you're posting a picture used previously (by yourself or another member, doesn't matter) can you not upload it afresh? The pics are fairly small of course but it's better not to have the same image uploaded to the servers two, three or multiple times.

To do this, go to the previous thread it appears in and either quote the relevant post and copy the line of code in full or alternatively just right-click the image and select Copy Image Location, then enclose that in the IMG tags:
URL of picture here

Einion

samben84
06-28-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a couple of nails in strategic places. When painting with acrylics, I just hang my canvas wherever is handiest. I have a couple by my office chair so I can paint sitting; a couple at standing height; or, I paint with it flat on a glass display counter. I just paint wherever I feel like it, mainly. The only ways I don't paint is on the floor or at regular table height. Too much back pain that way.

Charlie's Mum
06-28-2011, 06:11 PM
All of the above in your title!

I have an easel and also a table, a stool and an office chair - also often stand - then discover the back of my leg aches because without realising it, I've been standing too long with weight mostly on one leg!
Sitting over the drawing board for small works adn miniatures often results in neck and shoulder pain ........ don't we all have to suffer for our art? :lol:

Watercolours - stand at the table.
Large canvases I stand at the easel.

When I'm tired, I sit :D

Haven't tried a large canvas lying on the table (the canvas, not me!) - but may do when I remove the sewing machine and bits of fabric :)

Kathrin G.
06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I paint while sitting in my comfy office chair with the painting on my table easel :D I am moving about outdoors all day in my job, so by the time I get home I am ready to sit and rest :lol: My drawings are done flat on my desk :)

Dcam
06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Einion: Good points about sitting AND loading pictures (sorry about that, but do you like the painting? :) ) I do get lots of exercise, so will not feel guilty about sitting once in a while: Thanks, Einion .

Kathrin, Samben, Mum....you sound like me...whatever is comfy at the time.
Derek

Andrew
06-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Standing mostly at my easel. I like being able to quickly step back an evaluate things at a good viewing distance.

I am more curious how you painted your mown grass in the OP painting. My lawns all seem to look really fluffy.

Andrew

M Douglas
06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
For years I painted sitting down which as you said Derek is great for detail work then I started painting with pastels standing at an easel and now do the same with my acrylics, I like being able to step back and view my painting as it progresses but (yep there's always a but) I have found that I tend to lean to one side when i'm working which unbalances my hips and if i'm not careful it gets very painful to the point of not being able to paint. Doing some stretches during a painting session helps.

Melodie

bluefish
06-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Derek....I failed to mention I have a North facing window over the drafting table and it is extremely effective for varnishing acrylic paintings in the morning light.......

Raymo
06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Standing at my easel....usually clad only in a faux leopard thong as I tend to get all sweaty and smarmy when I paint....almost always in front of our big picture window at the front of the house....people usually stare at my paintings as I work....with their mouths wide open....at least I think theyre looking at my paintings....I also never shower till I get a painting done....usually only a week or two though.

Anywaysssss, that's how I do it. Later weirdos ! :wave:

Oh yeah almost forgot....music blaring and dancing along to Super Freak by Rick James.......supah freakyyyyyyy :lol:

RPut
06-28-2011, 08:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Leave it Ray to give us an interesting visual. :eek:

Dcam
06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Raymo you have not painted til' you've painted in a speedo and sombrero. Catch the gusto my friend.

Blue...North light? C'mon Vermeer.

Andrew and Melodie: Thanks for the input.
Derek

PainterDeb
06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
I paint sitting at a table, using a table top easel. I'd like to experiment with standing up though.

Raymo, maybe it's time for you to venture into plein air painting...?? :)

bluefish
06-29-2011, 07:38 AM
what an interesting and informative thread.......all these years I've been doing it wrong.......painting in a closed studio with head to toe sweats......

thong?.....speedo?....excuse me, I think Kohls has a big sale on those items.....I'm going to join the 'modern generation'......:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew
06-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Standing at my easel....usually clad only in a faux leopard thong as I tend to get all sweaty and smarmy when I paint....almost always in front of our big picture window at the front of the house....people usually stare at my paintings as I work....with their mouths wide open....at least I think theyre looking at my paintings....I also never shower till I get a painting done....usually only a week or two though.

Oh yeah almost forgot....music blaring and dancing along to Super Freak by Rick James.......supah freakyyyyyyy :lol:

TMI Ray! TMI!

Andrew

LavenderFrost
06-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I sit at my easel. Never could stand for very long.

Thanks for the laugh Ray. :lol:

chammi kaiser
06-29-2011, 11:44 AM
I stand and work at the easel, sit and work on a table easel, work flat. I am a little like Raymo. I suddenly decide as I am about to get into my bath, an inspired thought hits me. An hour later, I realise I am standing stark naked in front of my easel. Don't have a problem with people standing there with open mouths as am on the 3rd floor. I don't actually think it is the paintings, definitely not the bod but rather the thong, Raymo. They went out in the eighties and are pretty unique today!!!!!!

Charlie's Mum
06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Derek - how remiss of me (and others) to not comment on the painting!!! Sory ;)

I like the repeated textures throughout - nicely unifyling - love that treeline against the sky and all the colour changes in it and the foliage ....... good wall and building - and rocks and grass - have I missed anything?:lol:

Raymo - how could you not post in this thread - the opportunity was much too inviting ;) ;) Thanks for the giggle :D

Raymo
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
I need that sombrero Derek ! :lol:

Raymo
06-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I realise I am standing stark naked in front of my easel. Don't have a problem with people standing there with open mouths as am on the 3rd floor.

I was able to purchase a trampoline and binoculars off Ebay today....:evil:

Wassie
06-29-2011, 08:05 PM

So, would you please send your address? I'd like to see this.:D

Raymo
06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Haha....yeah, you stalker.

Kathryn Wilson
06-30-2011, 09:12 AM
what an interesting and informative thread.......all these years I've been doing it wrong.......painting in a closed studio with head to toe sweats......

thong?.....speedo?....excuse me, I think Kohls has a big sale on those items.....I'm going to join the 'modern generation'......:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, my, Blue - too much information! I can't imagine or envision :evil:

I stand at my easel, whether doing pastels or acrylics, plein air or studio. 3 hours is about my limit. When I worked in an art department, we had huge drafting tables to work at, but I found that difficult because you have to lean forward just a bit.

bluefish
06-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Hey Kat.......plain aire painting in thongs.......you ready? are those NC State police friendly?.......:lol:

wdame
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I sit in my comfy chair in front of the television and paint. LazyÖ..sure, but then again who says men canít multi-task. :lol:

DonEc
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
How do you keep the paint off your chair?:)

wdame
06-30-2011, 02:44 PM
I blessed with a wife who is not hesitant to remind me.

Raymo
06-30-2011, 05:44 PM
I sit in my comfy chair in front of the television and paint. LazyÖ..sure, but then again who says men canít multi-task. :lol:
A motorized comfy chair would be sweet....:thumbsup:....paint a bit then motor on over to the fridge ! You just may be on to somethin Billy.

OkeeKat
06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
:lol: ohhhh thanks for the laughs Ray and Chammi!!
you guys are a trip!!:lol:
I paint sitting down with a freestanding/stand up adjustable easel in my comfy armed chair listening to the TV in the corner above my work desk right now in my spare room, presently rearranging our office hubby and I use to fit my stuff in there.
usualy wearing my comfy baggy jersey pants.

Dcam
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Kat; Just too too comfy!:lol:

reikiart
07-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Love your painting! Wow, looks like a photo, only better! :clap: I would love to paint standing, but unfortunately every time I pick up a brush my three year old son wants me to hold him, :lol: so I almost always end up sitting at a table painting.