PDA

View Full Version : Tree of life with blue flowers

davepuls
06-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Another experimental tree painting, loosely based on a version of Klimt's Tree of Life.

It's all heavy body acrylics on canvas board. Mostly painted with painting knives but with some loose brushwork on the branches. It is 8x8 inches.

The background is Cryla acrylic "Deep Gold" iridescent paint, which is normal acrylic, but they mix fine mica particles into it to make it shine like metal (or gold leaf). It is photographed in strong sunshine to show the texture and shine!

Do let me know what you think!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jun-2011/188291-Tree_of_life_with_blue_flowers.jpg

samben84
06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Love the texture on the tree trunk. The flowers really make it pop!

davepuls
06-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Thank you, Sandy.

arl
06-29-2011, 07:24 AM
I like the texture.

davepuls
06-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks Arlene.

I think the main thing that does not come through in the photo is the metallic shine of the background, which was my real reason for doing this painting... I will keep on experimenting with the metallic paint, though.

slowbro
10-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Tree of Life is a pattern inspired by the flowers (http://www.gardeningclan.com/choose-types-flowers-garden-landscaping.html) of Kashmir. This Crewel Fabric representing the flowers in a garden is a delicate balance of real flowers and an artistís imagination Tree of Life was added to our collection to provide the joy of the flower into our homes. Tree of Life is for you if you want a beautiful Crewel Fabric to make your home stylish and elegant.

inmystudio
10-01-2011, 03:16 AM
Cool, it almost looks like a mosaic!

plec
10-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Dave the main trunk looks good but the smaller branches look a bit weak on texture. ( never thought I would say that about your work.!!)
Ken..
P.S. i use this metalic paint and it really benifits from a gloss varnish finish.

friesin
10-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Looks happy !

OkeeKat
10-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Somehow I missed this one Dave.. interesting piece, I love your textures and colors.. those bright blue flowers really stand out..wonderful colors in the tree too!!
I see what Ken means about missing some texture on the branches. its not a s thick and colorful as the trunk.

davepuls
10-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! Yes, I had a bit of difficulty with the branches - after realising that I couldn't paint the sweeping curves with a knife I resorted to a brush, but my current style of painting isn't great for smooth curves, and retaining texture at the same time (need more practice if doing this kind of thing!) As usual, I didn't use a palette, water or any medium - just paint straight from tube to knife or brush, and mix on the canvas.