PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sloane

Banner
06-26-2011, 07:08 AM
:) Just to say thank you Robert for sharing your wonderful notes I just love your little diagrams & paintings. I wish you well & hope you find a place & get some Artist flat mates to share. :wave: from Auckland New Zealand

robertsloan2
06-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Wow, thank you! Your well wishes mean a lot!

I'm going to be funding the move by "Sale of the Keepers." I'll be listing some eBay auctions this week and posting them on Facebook and my LiveJournal blog. Anyone who wants to help me get to San Francisco, pick up those links and post them on your Facebook page and other social media.

All my friends have friends of friends that I don't know. If enough people who don't know me hear about my art, some of them may bid up my Keepers to the point that it won't matter that I didn't have time to build up savings before leaving.

I need to be able to have first and last month's rent share with my flatmates. I'll need money to get around the city on bus and make it to appointments. I'll possibly need to set up my own Internet service immediately as soon as I get home - to me, San Francisco is home.

Also thank you for that suggestion! Artist flat mates would be wonderful, they'd understand so much. But even if they're not artists, as long as they're easy to get along with I'll be happy.

You have just given me a brilliant idea though. I've been checking Craigslist listings for households that need flatmates. I need to place my own ad and explain that I'm an artist and what living situation I need. Any flatmates who are even remotely interested in art will probably be treated to art lessons just by hanging out with me, so that's a big plus. I might find really compatible flatmates just by being open about who I am and what I need.

fortysomething
06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Robert! Good luck and best wishes on your move home. :)

Another place to look for potential house mates would be local community colleges/universities. These types of advertisements are often found on bulletin boards in the campus student union or art dept. Just an idea...

hewill4giveu
06-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Word of caution DO NOT send money for something with out being there. Here in Cheyenne some people had their homes up for sale. Someone on craigs list took the info and was advertising their home as a rental. I guess a number of people have had that happen. People send a deposit thinking they had a home and nope. The realtor happened to see it and asked the owners about it. The owners did not put it on. So just be real careful. Hope you get there i know what it means to go home. Wish i could stay here but i will be back one day when i wont have to leave again.

LadyMadonna
06-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Thank you Robert!
I use your little notes as a looking reference all the time.
You have made a friend in each of us !

nougat
06-27-2011, 11:32 AM
i would like to add my thanks and good wishes :)

FLNH
06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
I also want to thank you for the effort you have put into the notes. They are my "go to" reference. You and Johannes have literally changed my life. I hope things work out for you.

lorigina
07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Re: Robert Sloane
Robert, although I wasn't able to attend the landscape class, I've read through most of your notes, and found them to be extremely helpful, as well as a pleasure to read. My sincere wish for you is that you are able to find the perfect living situation, one that enhances your life experience and enables you to further your artistic and financial goals. Good luck.

robertsloan2
07-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Thank you so much! All of you! Thanks for the gratitude and the advice. The apartment was a scam. Within one day, I did find the perfect living situation.

I lived in a residential hotel for a year and a few months before leaving San Francisco. Absolutely minimal maintenance. No kitchen or bathroom to clean, just one little room, very easy to live in. Pretty much the space I have now and no roommates.

Now I'm going back to something just like it minus my ex. I've looked into the street art licensing and I'm applying now, as soon as the holiday's over and the mail can go through. Hopefully I'll get screened to prove that I'm the artist doing these artworks within August, if not I'll be at the head of the list in September. Hopefully, I'll get my power chair without too much delay and all my prescriptions back and someone to come in doing the cleaning I can't and helping with anything else I can't do.

Once all that is lined up, I could be self employed again anywhere between a couple of months to a really good weekend depending on where I get my setup in the first few days. It won't hurt my gallery career. It'll actually help it - most of the good Jackson Square painters were also in galleries.

If I have good gallery representation, I'll have Johannes Vloothuis to thank for it.

If my Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf and other landmark landscapes sell, I have Johannes to thank for it. People need to recognize them, get the feel and the likeness, not necessarily have some sort of ruler-straight architectural drawing as if it was done by the architect building it.

I'll vary well known architectural landmarks with all the hidden beauties of my city, all the places that stopped me in my tracks with how cool they are. If I like a bit of gingerbread, maybe that'll be the foreground in itself and focal point and I'll perch a pigeon on it with some depth beyond it that's not as defined. If I paint the building as a whole it'll be a single curlicue or swirl and deliberately loose, not matching the other one.

I have high hopes that everything I've learned will come out in the new paintings. The tourists won't understand why it's better, but I think they'll respond from the heart. See it and like it without caring about all the golden nuggets that make it look better than the one on the post card.

I'll laugh all the way to the bank when one of them says it's so real, it looks just like a photo - after I've gotten looser and less detailed than I ever have in my life.

The auctions didn't sell, but I'm getting some help on a donations link on my Livejournal blog. Got to the point where bare-bones - I'll get there with cat and luggage and a few boxes and some money left for covering the essentials not housing: Internet, phone, cat sand/food.

Frugal may turn very comfy though if the street art works as well as it did in New Orleans and the weather's good. Tourist season, before I got sick, I'd get my rent and necessities on the first good weekend and everything else went to supplies and luxuries like AC and cable television and so on. Most of all I won't have to walk to the setup or carry too much stuff and throw my back.

This is going to work. I look at it every which way and it will work. Just have a lot to do this month and next to pull it all together!

"Buildings" as the latest class - that was pure serendipity! I'll even put figures in the paintings - as I remember the scenes, I remember my neighbors and friends and I'll put them in loose and cool just like Jo does.

Going to start sorting and packing my studio on Tuesday, tomorrow's a holiday and I'm enjoying it.

Nahant
07-04-2011, 07:10 PM
God bless you Robert! I wish you the very best in your latestadventure. I have a thought which I'd like to explore. It concerns your immeasurable value to all Johannes fans who have benefited so greatly from your artfully rendered notes notes. It seem like I have been dropping 19.99 here and there ever since I started the landscape course. The money has been spent well and the rewards have been great. I would gladly send that amount to you for your priceless notes which were so generously provided from the goodness of your heart. Would your website support PayPal payments if I and others were to forward a monetary token of our gratitude and support?

Best Wishess,

Betty

oldradagast
07-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Best of luck to you, Robert - your effort in taking all those notes is greatly appreciated!

robertsloan2
07-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Thank you! I am so glad you enjoy my notes. I'll go on doing them.

loulop
07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Robert, I want to be one more person to thank you for your notes, I have copy them by hand to my journal, so that I can have the notes to refer to when I start doing paintings with a lose style, I have been doing decorative paintings now for 10 years, but I want to work on a more lose and relax style of painting.
Thank you and good luck on your new home and your career as a street artist.
Lourdes

robertsloan2
07-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Thank you so much! I think I'm going to have a great time in San Francisco!

hewill4giveu
07-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Least you are going where you will be happy. Looks like we will be crossing paths seems were headed to alabama.Quite different than Cheyenne and not as pretty but they do have some things to paint so i will be on the hunt. Will know for sure today we will leave Wed be there by thur.
Have fun Robert and paint , paint, paint.

J.Lloyd
08-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi - I've just spoken with Robert Sloan and he says that due to a glitch in getting online that he won't be connected until Monday. He says the move was fine, Ari is loving the new digs, and that they are both resting. Oh, he's got cable in his room and has been watching Shark Week.

If any of you are planning to attend the Mountains painting class with Johannes tomorrow, Robert has asked if someone else will please take notes.

Joan

sapphirelynn
08-07-2011, 11:23 PM
So glad to hear your move went well but OMG I miss your note taking for our first class on Mountains... Of course I made some of my own as usual but I always add my notes to yours as mine is very 3rd rate in comparison...hope to see you on line next week...hugs Lynn

Sandra39
08-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Joan -Or anyone who can get in touch with Robert. If he can not get on line by Thursday or Friday, he could go to the nearest Public Library and ask to use their computer. He would have to make a reservation for the time he wants which is on Saturday 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. est. (Not sure what time in SF). If he has an old library member card from his previous place it will be easier otherwise he has to start an application for new card and has to show his resident paper i.e. rental paper, etc. Some libraries will let you in as guest though. But the key is to make a reservation to make sure that there is one computer available at the time he wants.
Hope he can obtain access to computer by then. We all miss his notes for the last class on August 6th.

Sandi C.

robertsloan2
08-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Grr lost my post. I have Windows 7 issues with a jumping cursor and sometimes it tanks an entire post while I'm typing.

I got online on Monday with my Verizon 4G Mobile Hot Spot. I now have better access than I've had in years - five bars! Today I got my email with the link to last Saturday's class streaming video, so I'm watching it right now and taking a self scheduled coffee and posting break.

I'll message a moderator to let me post my notes as soon as I finish. Yep, I'll still be taking notes from the streaming video even when I have to miss a class for unavoidable circumstances.

Sadly, tomorrow is one of those situations. The friend from Nevada who helped me move is bringing the rest of my stuff tomorrow morning at 10 am or 10:30 am. Class starts at 10:00 am Pacific time. So I might catch just the beginning if she's running late but I'll need to stop and carry stuff up stairs when she comes.

I'll do the same thing, watch the streaming video and take notes as soon as I can get the link.

Once I start doing my street sketching, I may have another time conflict. Depending on where I set up, I might be able to fold up my stall for a couple of hours on Saturday mornings to go to class. My access is mobile so I don't need to find a wifi cafe every time, but I do need to find a place near my setup that would let me plug in my laptop or I'll miss a Saturday. It's completely random where I set up any day that I go out to sell and Saturdays are the most lucrative day of the week - it's when locals come into the city to enjoy tourist stuff. I can afford to lose two hours or so by folding up to watch the class but I don't know if my battery will hold out that long.

I'll be experimenting with my netbook and mobile access to see if it has enough battery life to let me use that for taking class outdoors. Might be a bit strange but if that works then I'm set - the mobile access device has a stated five hour battery life so that should be fine. Wish me luck on the netbook thing. I'll be testing it before I try this. Also testing whether the laptop battery will last through an entire class.

Any weekend I miss all or part of class though, I will still pick up what I missed on streaming video, take notes and post them. Sorry about the delays but life happens.

I am so glad my access is stable now! It's fantastic having five bars and not worrying about whether bad weather is going to prevent me from class. That it didn't happen before now is pure good luck - I was losing hours and sometimes days all the time in Arkansas. I just lucked and it was never during class time.

oCDs01-711
08-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi, Robert!

Glad to hear everything is working out. Did you move with your daughter, or alone? I don't remember reading that??? If it's none of my business, don't bother telling me.:D

Sounds as though you're happy being so busy. Hope it pays financially!

So much reading to do if I want to review notes, don't you think? It's so great to be part of Johannes' class!

Keep postin'!:grouphug:

Shirley

sylvia
01-22-2012, 09:23 AM
THANKS FOR YOUR "NOTES" ROBERT..I COULD NOT HAVE UNDERSTOOD HALF OF THESE COURSES WITHOUT YOUR INPUT.
Your life seems to be pretty hectic right now I do hope you settle into a happier place soon. I know you have Fibromyalgia has that put you in a wheelchair?
You are well respected and needed here during these classes. Do take care of yourself. Phylllis

wetbob
02-08-2012, 03:44 AM
It is sad that we have to miss Roberts notes! I hope you are fine! Thnx for it!

Artglo
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I too hope you are well.

chalet_dor
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
THANKS FOR YOUR "NOTES" ROBERT..I COULD NOT HAVE UNDERSTOOD HALF OF THESE COURSES WITHOUT YOUR INPUT.
Your life seems to be pretty hectic right now I do hope you settle into a happier place soon. I know you have Fibromyalgia has that put you in a wheelchair?
You are well respected and needed here during these classes. Do take care of yourself. Phylllis

Hello Robert :wave:
I hope you are reading this and are doing well. I will miss your notes terribly because your notes helped me understand the webnar I watched and the video I purchased. I am very sad that your notes will not be there to help me. :(

irishpainter
02-15-2012, 08:13 PM
We will miss you Robert.

robertsloan2
02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
PURR thank you! I've fallen into a new rhythm of typing comments in chat so it's not like I'm not around. Just not formally taking notes any more. Thank you all so much.

chalet_dor
02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Smiles to you........:))

Dragoon
06-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Hello.
I'm aware I can't mention particulars here on WetCanvas, but it was mentioned during the class that someone is trying to organize some way to help out our friend Robert Sloan. He is MIA from the forums because his computer died. (?)

I was in the kitchen getting a drink when it was talked about and missed the link or info. that was given to find out more. Could someone please post the link here in this thread?
The gist of it is, that any aid we can get together has to be done offsite, as soliciting is against WetCanvas rules.

I'm sure that there are many out there who sometimes search his name to find out what has happened to him. I do! That's why I put his name in the post title, so others can find it, too.

Thanks a million!
D.

PS, Maybe Johannes can install the appropriate buttons on his website, and then mail someone a heartfelt gift?? :angel:

Dragoon
06-09-2013, 01:24 AM
Smiles!!

Robert's blog is active again!
Details about the fundraiser for him are on his blog:
http://robertsloan2.livejournal.com/

Hopefully he'll be back with us soon!!
Cheers,
D.

BumpaBob
09-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, Robert is still active and posted in the Pastels section of Wet Canvas just yesterday. I too have re-read his posts often - glad they are centrally located - and treasure them as reminders of the things I didn't catch when taking Jo's courses. :thumbsup:

Wetpaint0938
09-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Robert Best of luck in your new dwelling And another Thank You for your wonderful notes they are so helpful I have them handy when stuck on a problem ...GOD BLESS HAPPY PAINTING

chalet_dor
09-27-2013, 06:42 AM
They tell me that I must check in and say something!
Hello everyone and smiles

a special hello to Robert : )):clap: