PDA

View Full Version : need expert help

Haralamb
06-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Good morning everybody!
Recently, I wrapped an acrylic painting with plastic food wrap, to protect it from the cardboard box, and send it to a friend. After a few days he called me to ask how to remove the plastic, since it is stuck to the painting. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me solve this problem!
Best whishes to all!

Haralamb

Yorky
06-22-2011, 11:11 AM
I would say use a hair dryer to soften the plastic.

Doug

Charlie's Mum
06-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh dear! The paint was obviously not properly set - or the varnish not dry! It's one of the reasons why, if framing behind glass, there should be spacers to keep glass from painting surface.
It might be wise for you to try on a separate painting - which isn't important!
I would think that even softening the paint, as Yorky suggests you might try, could still lift the paint from the canvas.
The opposite could be tried too - put it in the freezer (if possible) and then try to remove it.
It's all a bit hit and miss I think!

Bizkit
06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
yup...freeze it.

chammi kaiser
06-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Poor you. What a pain!! Good advice re freezing it. Would be interested to know how it all ends up. Good luck.

Lady Carol
06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
I also think freezing would work but I suspect that there will be a mark left where the plastic was. It might be best to do it again.

mseymour
06-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I know this doesn't help the problem you have now, but, in the future, let the painting and varnish cure thoroughly (several weeks) then wrap the painting in glassine, not freezer paper or Saran wrap.

DonEc
06-25-2011, 01:40 PM
I know this doesn't help the problem you have now, but, in the future, let the painting and varnish cure thoroughly (several weeks) then wrap the painting in glassine, not freezer paper or Saran wrap.How about wax paper?