PDA

View Full Version : question about painting a mural

blunderbuss
06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

I was going to have my kids paint a mural on one of the walls in their room. I was wondering for a large area such as a mural do you use standard house paints for your colors or do you just buy big tubes of the cheap acrylic paint in the artstore?

It should be non-toxic too since I'd prefer them not to get more than their USDA recommended allowance of cadmium sulfide.

Thanks!

idylbrush
06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
You may want to talk to your pediatrician. I would imagine, and hope I would be correct that low or no VOC paints used in interior house paints might be an option to consider. Look on the label to be sure of low VOC and any warnings about toxins.

Another good side is that you may be able to buy the paints in sample bottles and save the large quantity and therefore large price that might otherwise go along with it.

cyborg
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
As far as the toxicity is concerned I aggree with Idylbrush, look into the potential harmful effects of any product a child would be painting with. As far as executing the painting itself, I use everything from regular old latex house paint to fine art Liquitex Acrylics, and as long as they are all latex or water soluble they can be mixed with each other to create your color scheme. Most art stores sell cheaper brands of "craft paints" for this type of application, but like I said I have mixed and matched them all.
Another thought is you may want to lay down an eggshell finish for an undercoat. A sky blue is always nice for kids to paint clouds and birds, airplanes etc.. on.

Hope this helps and have fun!!!!!
Cy

Ms Nan
06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Let's see the results!! Sounds like such fun.