PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Gel Mediums

mydarling441
06-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is cherie - I am from topeka, ks. I am new to the forums here. I have my work on display in a local shop here. I recently had a request to commission a piece custom for a client.

She wants a glass like finish over the painting. I have looked into several mediums to accomplish this, but didn't know what might be the best for this. Most dry clear.

My other challenge has been how to apply the gel medium to a fairly large canvas without recorded brush strokes, etc.

Anyone run into this issue and how to fix it?

If it cannot be done would anyone know of any websites where I might be able to make a print with a similar affect?

Thanks! :)

ShannonTeague
06-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi Cherie,

The only gel I know of that might fit the bill is Golden's self-leveling clear gel. I'm not sure how much leveling the gel has, but it might be what you need. I've not used that particular gel myself so I can't say exactly how much leveling is has.

idylbrush
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Do you want a thin or thick look?

No brush marks means spraying the final coats, glass like to me means gloss medium. Thick means looking at a product outside of the acrylic world, something more in line with a two part epoxy. Using that means a rigid substrate. Everything depends on everything else it seems.

Einion
06-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Hi and welcome Cherie.

She wants a glass like finish over the painting.
Frame behind glass? ;) Seriously through, if you really must have a super-glossy finish that's physically part of the painting you probably have to go outside of regular artists' materials. Pourable resin finishes of the type intended for finishing bar tops are the way to go for this since they're tough and resistant to yellowing.

Pretty sure you'll need to paint on a rigid support to use anything like this.

Einion

bluefish
06-21-2011, 06:49 AM
look at the thread here on 'Liquidtex Pouring Liquid'......it has all the properties you are looking for......like under a sheet of glass....hope this helps.....

'blue....' :angel:

jfsart7
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I have been trying to put that "glass look" too. I work with small images, 3" x 4" Brush kills it. I get bubbles some time. You can not see the bubbles and then they pop leaving holes. I have been pouring the M. Graham gloss medium & varnish over the painting. It is working better but not still what I want. I am going to try what bluefish said 'Liquidtex Pouring Liquid'......
I was a dental Tech for twenty years. I used to make teeth. Had to use a lot of dental materials. When making models I used to vibrates the material. Takes off the bubbles. What ever does the job!! Good luck!! Let us know how it worked for you.
Jim

mydarling441
06-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi and welcome Cherie.

Frame behind glass? ;) Seriously through, if you really must have a super-glossy finish that's physically part of the painting you probably have to go outside of regular artists' materials. Pourable resin finishes of the type intended for finishing bar tops are the way to go for this since they're tough and resistant to yellowing.

Pretty sure you'll need to paint on a rigid support to use anything like this.

Einion

I hadn't even thought of that! I think I will buy some and see if this looks like what she had in mind. I will also try some of the other suggestions - self leveling gel by golden and liquitex pourable gel medium. I actually had thought of the other two mediums, but have run into issues applying it without imperfections (brush strokes, etc.). I really appreciate all the feedback and I will post the piece before the finish and after and tell you all what ended up working. Glad I am not the only one who has run into this! :)

Stacey3352
06-23-2011, 12:51 AM
You will need to pour the medium over the painting and depending how thick you want it, you may need to apply several thin coats. The medium must be allowed to flow over the sides in order to keep it flat and if you have texture it will end up building it up but it will still give the glass like look. Do not use a brush, if anything on a large surface use one of the liquitex freestyle knives to gently help level it out. I would tip the support instead. If you have never done this please practice with a few smaller pieces before you attempt a larger one.

Rick G
06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Here's a link to the webpage of an artist whose work I've seen. She often includes resin pours over her acrylic pieces. You may want to contact her for some suggestions as to materials and techniques. I spoke with her at an art fair last summer and she seemed very helpful.

http://www.sharilord.com/www.sharilord.com/Home_Page.html