PDA

View Full Version : Ladybug ladybug.....

M Douglas
06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Finished this one back in May, was a rush to finish it up for a show and forgot to post it. As is usual with me I was doing the final varnish the morning of the show, i'm getting smarter and do the wiring before the varnish now :wink2: Although it probably doesn't look like it to you it's a much looser painting then I normally do. Had to do lots of correcting to get it right lol.

"Ladybug Ladybug fly away home.... your house is on fire and your children will burn. Except little Nan who sits in a pan, weaving gold laces as fast as she can."

If you want to know more about the Ladybug rhyme you can read my blog post here http://www.melodiedouglas.com/apps/blog/show/7117255-lady-bug-lady-bug-

Enjoy
Melodie

Ladybug ladybug.....
24" x 24" on 3/4" canvas

WILBEE
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Great job - I love the shine on the ladybug!

Bev

OkeeKat
06-19-2011, 01:06 AM
LOVE IT!!
Excellently done on everything!!

M Douglas
06-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Thank you Bev & Kathie, it's a fun happy painting. I just watched Calendar Girls (yep i'm way behind on movies) anyways they were saying in the movie that sunflowers follow the sun, as it moves the sunflowers move with it. Don't know if its true but sounded interesting.

Melodie

hummerseeker
06-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Wow, I love the center of that flower and the shine of the ladybug.

Chia
06-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Gorgeous colour palette and great depth to that flower! I like your use of soft greens in the background to really make the flower pop. And the ladybug is like a crowning jewel. I think that's right about sunflowers following the sun - I noticed that with the ones in our garden last summer.

chammi kaiser
06-20-2011, 04:49 AM
It is a super painting and I would love to see it IRL. I love the unusual colours of the sunflower and of course the little ladybird is delightful. There are huge field of sunflowers here in Germany and they always turn towards the sun.

ladypainter
06-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Love this. Lovely work.

BlueStarr
06-21-2011, 09:47 AM
nice! all the different textures make it an interesting piece :)

M Douglas
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Karen - Thank you very much, that center was a bit of a struggle I couldn't get the paint to do what I wanted it to do lol. (Yes i'm gonna blame the paint) lol.

Coralie - I have this painting hanging just off my kitchen, it brightens up my days. I loved your reference to the ladybug being a crowing jewel!

Chammi - I would love to see fields of sunflowers, i've googled them looking for growers in my area but no such luck.

Elinor - Thank you very much.

Blue Starr - Glad you can see the textures!

Melodie

lathadamle
06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Wow. Brilliant colors, striking ladybug. Nice muted background too :clap:

M Douglas
06-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you Latha!

Melodie