PDA

View Full Version : progress so far but i dont feel i want to finish

kate252
06-16-2011, 07:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2011/179491-IMGP1891.jpg here it is so far
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2011/179491-IMGP1890.jpg

but the canvas board has got too much primer on it..i painted over a failed painting and then i started with this one.....the surface has no "tooth" left and is just all slidey....

am I the only one to be fussy about the surface? im not too fussy really.......just a bit. shall I finish this only to say its done or consign it to experience and get a new canvas board today....seems to be a waste of hours really painting when you know it wont really look as good as you want it

the spice bottle are wonky etc because ive learnt over the years not to fiddle and mess too much, its better leaving it a bit wonky because it starts to get over worked and over painted- besides perfection- is illusive- yull never get it. your perception of an object is constantly changing.....unless you trace or project its best not to meddle so much with bowls and other objects....thats what i think anyway.....id prefer a nicely painted wonky bowl any day- as opposed to a perfect representation but one thats needed a whle load of re working over to get there.

kate

adtually on looking at it- i cab make a couple of changes- the grey bottle in the middle- can be made a little shorter. I dont think i tried very hard with this composition either......i sort of chucked them all down. Im sure I was supposed to have arranged them a bit better than this.

I had great fun with the jar of gerkins....but this was at the top of the canvas where it wasnt so heavily painted on before- the canas still had some teeth- but the shape of the gerkins and all the glass reflections- i really enjoyed, and i saw a spark there- but when i moved further down the jars....tha paint wasnt reacting wth th surface as i would have liked. it started doing that horrid plastic thing- getting too shiney. lololol

PattiLou
06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Actually there must be two of us that feel that way about a surface with too much paint. I have tried reusing an old canvas, sanding them down, etc. but they always feel like you said... slick and no tooth. Most people put layers and layers of gesso on to acheive a very smooth surface. To me the canvas doesn't grab the paint when there is too many layers of gesso and paint. A lot of artists don't like the canvas texture but it doesn't bother me.

If you are not happy with it just say it was a learning experience... I know that is hard to do with the cost of canvas now days. It use to be inexpensive but I still didn't like wasting them. Still I have pitched a few that I was very unhappy with.:lol: More than I like to admit.:o

Good luck on your decision, which can only be made by you.

idylbrush
06-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Have you considered adding some marble dust to the gesso. It gives it a wonderful tooth. Just a thought if tooth is what you want.

I have used it on ampersand board and it has a great feel to it.
Just a thought.

kate252
06-16-2011, 03:53 PM
of im glad im not the only one that is a bit fussy then- people say you can re-use canvases but i think you only have one sot with them really. ive never heard marble dust. ill look into it.

Ms Nan
06-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Marble dust!! What a great idea. WC strikes again!

idylbrush
06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
marble dust (http://www.dickblick.com/products/fredrix-powdered-marble-dust/)

link to description page
inexpensive
1 bag is enough to last years

I use it quite frequently. When I was doing silverpoint I found it good for that as well.

OkeeKat
06-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Kate, I think this is pretty good, not much left to do on it.. you can probably turn it into an abstract, with some palette knife painting on the background around the bottles, and line them with black or something.. its very interesting composition. and the bottles/jars are done well already.
just some smudging of mid tone background with a palette knife, to give it texture, push the paint around a bit with a medium light color.. might look good.