PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Patched Longwing x-posted watermedia challenge

samben84
06-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Also known as Red Passion Flower butterfly. Reference photo by Jerry Bridgers from the RIL. I struggled with this all weekend to try to figure out what to do with the background. I finally just threw some words at it and called it done. I'm not that happy with it, and I know the words are wonky. Please, all C&C greatly appreciated!

OkeeKat
06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
LOVE IT!!!
Great phrase and It looks wonderful together!!
Love the finish!!!!!! Great work Sandy!

samben84
06-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Kathie, I'm certainly glad somebody likes it. For some reason it just grates on me. The black lettering did help a bit, but I should have tried to figure out some way to get it on there a bit neater. Any ideas?

I figured it out on the computer, measured and hand printed it on a piece of paper and then tried to transfer it by graphite rubbing on the back. I painted the letters with what printers call "rich black", a combination of black and blue.

Oops! After all that, I forgot to paint the antennae. I did add them, along with the clubs.

RWSewell
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh I think the loose handwriting looks fine and works well with the image. Unfortunately you ran short of space on some of the lines so you had to switch to Sandy Condensed to fit it in. The butterfly looks excellent clubs and all. Whether this is for yourself or a gift you should be happy with this. :clap:

:) Rob

samben84
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately you ran short of space on some of the lines so you had to switch to Sandy Condensed to fit it in.

Yeah, that stinks. That smile ran smack dab into the edge. Of course, being a graphic artist, that just irks me no end. I'll get over it, though.
There are no clubs on this one, or any antennae. :) I painted them after I posted the pic. What you are seeing is the proboscis.