PDA

View Full Version : North Cascades National Park AiR

earnest_ward
06-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi All! :wave:

I recently completed my spring 2011 Artist-in-Residence (6 weeks) with the National Park Service in Stehekin, WA, and will be posting some of my acrylic work here over the next few weeks.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Stehekin it is a community of 95 year-round residents four hours by ferry from the nearest grocery store/doctor/radio/TV/cell phone and is gateway to the NCNP Wilderness Area (which contains over half of the glaciers in the entire US.

If you're interested, I'm also posting images from my journals on the Art Journal forum and watercolors on that forum -- and in mid-Sept. or early Oct. I'm heading back up for the fall residency too (the first artist in the Stehekin program's history to be invited back.)

Thanks for letting me share.

Oh, this is Castle Rock peak as seen from my front porch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2011/101693-Castle_Rock.jpg

gaykir
06-12-2011, 07:24 PM
That's a beautiful area - now you have an idea why I left Texas and moved back to the Pacific Northwest! I enjoy this work. Is it on paper?

cyborg
06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Hello Earnest, great accomplishment! I visit Lake Chelan every summer and may relocate there eventually. Have never gone all the way up though to Sthkn. Glad to here about such a cool artisitic movement up there! Thanks for sharing,
Cy

earnest_ward
06-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Yep, the area is indeed a delightful place. The people are wonderful (if someone doesn't wave it's assumed they're a poor, stressed-out visitor from the city.) The atmosphere is lay-back. And even the bears (I met 9 of them) are well behaved and keep their distance.

I'm not certain how well I'd handle winter in the Cascades but, eventually, I'd like to observe and record the flora, fauna, and geography during each of the seasons.

This sketch was done on Arches 140 lbs. HP w/c paper with Micron pens and Golden Fluid acrylic (matte finish).

OkeeKat
06-12-2011, 09:23 PM
what beautiful country, fabulous painting.
and Congrats!!

Margaret 59
06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Wonderful place and great painting!

earnest_ward
06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Tupshin Peak was the other snow-capped mountain top that lit up for me each morning at 6. Not a bad way to start the day or to enjoy your first cuppa tea. :D (This one was done without pen & ink.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2011/101693-Tupshin_Peak.jpg

Paulafv
06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Beautiful paintings and interesting adventure. Congratulations on being chosen as the fall artist in residence.