PDA

View Full Version : 1st Self Portrait

Smoker
06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi All,

This is my first self portrait. It was fun painting but I'm not sure I did it correctly.

Any comments will be appreciated.

The photo I used to base the painting on is on the bottom.

Thanks,

Smoker

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/117886-me2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/117886-Me.jpg

OkeeKat
06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi Smoker,
Well done, great likeness too!
My only concern is possibly toning down the background if possible
its quite bright and a little distracting.
maybe try to darken the blue in the lower half of the background and lighten it as it goes upward, would give it more depth and pop out a bit more.
its possible it might just be your lighting or flash or the background paling the portrait, but your darks could be darker and highlights lighter.
I hope that makes sense,
Great work over all!!

kittygirl1
06-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Well done, indeed! Love the facial tones and the hair. I agree with Kathie that the background is a little distracting. I would definitely be able to pick you out of a very large crowd using your portrait :) Impressive 1st self portrait.

Ms Nan
06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I think portraits are difficult, and self-prtraits even more so. You did a great job.

Wassie
06-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Good likeness, but I think the eyes (the irises and the pupils) stand out too much. Maybe the whites of the eyeballs are too white.

noodle1
06-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Well I'd say you did just great, considering self portraits not that easy I think you did very, very well.

Elaine

ladypainter
06-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Good likeness, but I think the eyes (the irises and the pupils) stand out too much. Maybe the whites of the eyeballs are too white.

I agree on the eyes and toning the background down but this is a very good portrait and a very good likeness.

Smoker
06-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who gave me input and encouragement.

Kathie and Kittygirl1- I lightened the background and think in really made a great difference.

Wassie and Elinor Using skin tones I darkened the whites and I tried to lighten the iris. (I have green eyes and I am not satisfied with the color of the iris in the least. I have mixed different combinations but to no avail.) It does seem to help decrease the prominence of the eyes. (I hope I am using the term prominence correctly.)

Smokerhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2011/117886-Updated_me.jpg

OkeeKat
06-16-2011, 10:36 PM
MUCH Much better Smoker.. I love the Changes!!
my only crit would be to adjust the back edge of the ear. its a bit large..
trimmig off the outer light section and moving the dark inward a bit.. put it side by side with your reference and you notice the difference.. size up and down fine.. just to wide towards the back.. it stands out a little too much.
other then that the face draws your eye in where it should!!
LOVE IT... great adjustments, really looks so much better.

artbox
06-18-2011, 05:16 AM
YES!!!! the 2nd is much better... great job on background! and you did a wonderful job on yourself! Good likeness. If you're not happy with the green eyes, try darkening the green, right under the lid, with a compliment.. you could use the red, from the skin tones.. experiment on a separate support until you get what you like, the whites, could be grayed down a bit.. maybe a darker reflection of what you have in the beard?

The improvement from the first is great.. I love the warmth you brought to the shadow side of your face..:thumbsup: Self portraits are not always the easiest, you did very well!!

PainterDeb
06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Great job on this, and your revision is def better! :thumbsup:

(self portraits are always a challenge! I haven't tried one since high school...and the art teacher said we couldn't sign our name - if he didn't recognize our face, we got an "F" for that assignment :) )

gaykir
06-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Great revision! Nice work on the hair and shirt too. Good job and I agree that self portraits are very difficult!