PDA

View Full Version : canvas or cardboard?

miro68
06-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Hello,I am new to acrylics (some how) . I am curious to know how often artists use canvas or cardboard as a support?

idylbrush
06-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Describe cardboard.

Have seen some beautiful work on corrugated cardboard but have often been cautious of its archival qualities. I would think watercolor paper, archival illustration board, or any quality archival paper might be considered a better choice. I have taken good paper and then applied it to hardboard which I really happen to like. I like canvas, stretched, or as a board (when archival). Also like maple panels, mdf (depending on the use and hanging), and the list goes on and on.

ohlookitssarah
06-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I paint VERY thickly. I have only painted on cardboard once and personally didn't like the outcome. I do use stretched canvas often, but I prefer to paint on wood panels. You can use the wood grain to your benefit. ;)

OkeeKat
06-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I prefer to use Canvas stretched)stapled on back, so can paint the sides which gives the owners option to frame or Not as it looks great on wall without frame as painting is continued around all 4 sides. or Hardboard (Tempered Masonite) Never used cardboard.
Some people use the foam board or matte board,

ladypainter
06-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I think cardboard might have acid issues and it might not last that long.

Einion
06-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Canvas (even cheap stuff) wouldn't really be an equivalent to cardboard, even before thoughts about one being flexible and the other rigid.

Lots of people paint on canvas, both stretched on a frame and mounted to a board of some kind. Cardboard wouldn't be a common support, possibly mainly due to worries that it won't last*.

Basically you can paint on anything you want and there are no Art Police to tell you otherwise, and for learning why not paint on cheap brown cardboard if it would help? But in terms of board materials/panel eventually you might want to move on to something which has a little more assurance of lasting well, particularly if you want to sell.

*Standards for this vary, if 20 years or so is good enough for you then there's plenty of painting on cheap paper and cardboard that suggests you could expect at least this kind of lifespan.

Einion