PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia on Blue

OkeeKat
06-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Hello all, art framing/gallery owner loved my White Magnolia so much he asked me to repaint it for him with Blue background.
on 5x5x1.5" Gallery wrapped canvas with painted sides.
Ref photo from our own RIL thanks DuhVinci!!

Ref:

Underpainting with background:

Update one:

Update 2:

FINAL PAINTING:

RainySea
06-08-2011, 09:46 PM
beautiful floral. . . love the dark background

PainterDeb
06-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Kathie, this turned out great!! and that is a compliment to you, that he made a special request for this painting!

So you didn't frame it, just painted the sides? And also a technical question, hope you don't mind me asking....in the first 3 photos you can see the weave of the canvas, and in the final painting it is almost gone. Is that bc you have added more paint, or did you do the lighting/photography differently?

OkeeKat
06-08-2011, 10:24 PM
THANKS BJ!!
Deb, No I dont mind you asking at all. I painted the sides these little 5x5" ones are DEEP, 1.5" thickness to them so they actually are like a block of wood and stand on their own.
I'll try to get another photo from a different angle for you. all except the last photo were taken at the easel where I have close lighting and overhead ceiling fan w/light.. so it picks up every elevated weave. The final I take out on the screened in back porch surrounding natural light but no direct light on the canvas to glare.
Its a more natural looking photo, I think.
Between update and #2 I did mostly the center of the flower with touch ups here and there on the petals. THANKS for asking!

Edited..
here is a photo of the painting standing on its own, you see how thick it is.
Only one leaf on the upper left corner goes a little over the side.
am in between doing coats of varnish.

PainterDeb
06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Kathie, thanks for showing that last photo. Wow! it looks impressive, and the blue background shows up a lot better. Your flower really looks 3-D in this last one.

PainterDeb
06-08-2011, 11:05 PM
oh, one more question :o ..... so you apply the varnish with the black foam brush? that would be easier than the way I did it....

OkeeKat
06-08-2011, 11:07 PM
thanks so much Deb, the last photo I used flash as in the kitchen on table where I'm varnishing it isn't good lighting. so flower is a little burned out with flash, and a little brighter blue then in Real life, but does give you an idea of these canvas'.... check out them if your ever in Michaels, its an Artists' Loft brand gallery wrap with heavy duty canvas.. they were on special. quite sturdy and heavy wood stretcher bars.

OkeeKat
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
actually first I spray varnish with W&N acrylic varnish(Blue label can) then when dry I spread the liquitex mix of 3/4 matte and 1/4 gloss mixed in jar so slight sheen, mostly matte but not glossy so its a glare when viewed from different angles on wall or table when light shines on it.
Yes I use the foam brush, alternating directions with each coat.

draggingsticks
06-08-2011, 11:57 PM
i like it.

OkeeKat
06-09-2011, 12:17 AM
THanks Keith! :)

Foxyheart2002
06-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Very nice, Kathie!!!! It really pops!

chammi kaiser
06-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Kathie - well done and a warm congratulatory hug. It is a terrific painting and so small - wow!!!

arl
06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Beautiful use of color and value.

Goldeelocks
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I like it a lot, soothing picture and really pretty :)

Ms Nan
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
The blue background is a plus. Beautiful flower.

Lorraine Paris
06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Great i like this painting, love the petals and background.

OkeeKat
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
THANK YOU Sue, Chammi, Arlene, Goldeelocks, Nan and Lorraine!!
All your wonderful comments are greatly appreciated.
:D

PainterDeb
06-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Kathie, Thanks for the information about how you varnish! :)

OkeeKat
06-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Your very welcome Deb, glad to help any way I can.

Bruce Collins
06-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I think you made the flower look better than it does in real life... :) Great work.

OkeeKat
06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Awww thank you Bruce, how sweet of you!

ladypainter
06-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Magnolias are so lovely. You did a great job on this one.

Sonseeker
06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Oh! I like this very much on the blue background. So nice. The flower is beautiful. I look at the ref, then your rendering, back and forth.... I love the play of shadow and highlights. Great job Kathy:clap:

OkeeKat
06-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you very much Elinor and Patti, I really appreciate it!

lathadamle
06-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Kathie, very charming painting. Green leaves at the back with the background color adds to the charm.:thumbsup:

Kathrin G.
06-12-2011, 05:01 AM
gorgeous work Kathie :clap:

OkeeKat
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
THANK YOU very much Latha and Kathrin! :)

charliedawg
06-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Kathie - very nicely painted!

OkeeKat
06-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you very much Walter!
:)

Faded
06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
The blue background really gives this a classic feel. Your blending skills are superb, seamless and soft, beautiful work Kathie
-David

OkeeKat
06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
THANK YOU David, I really appreciate it!

jocko500
07-01-2011, 01:04 AM
very lovely

barsha
07-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Kathie, the different stages of your painting as also the photo where the painting stands on its own all are bliss to the eyes :) Thank you that you have shared such a beautiful thing on earth that is your painting :)

Marty Shay
07-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Okeekat: I'm copying your comment here:

"actually first I spray varnish with W&N acrylic varnish(Blue label can) then when dry I spread the liquitex mix of 3/4 matte and 1/4 gloss mixed in jar so slight sheen, mostly matte but not glossy so its a glare when viewed from different angles on wall or table when light shines on it.
Yes I use the foam brush, alternating directions with each coat."

This may answer a recent question I posted, on my Border Collie portrait, I have sealed it with a gloss, it's very glossy and I wanted to tone down the glare of the gloss but keep the detail and color intensity that the gloss gave me. Have you mixed satin and gloss and used it as a final varnish? Have you had any spotty effects if you have done this? Did mixing either matt or satin varnish with the gloss tone down the glare but keep your detail in the painting? I have the Liquitex brand for all the varnishes--no mixing of various brands. Thanks so much for your comments.
J

OkeeKat
07-01-2011, 03:01 AM
THANKS Jocko and Barsha I really appreciate it.
MartySHay, I have mixed in a grumbacher gloss varnish & Medium Jar which I used up by mixing with the matte varnish by Liquitex over a year ago.
I use now only Liquitex gloss and Matte Varnish.. see photo below the redish label. but I have used the green label in the past which is varnish and medium by liquitex.
First I use a spray varnish either gloss,matte or satin, whatever they have available, by Windsor & Newton. I do this to seal the painting and prevent color/tint from smearing.. might have been a fluke but once a few yrs ago I brushed on the varnish and the darker color showed a tint on the white areas, so had to touch up.. now I spray it first, not wanted to take chances. THEN>....I apply with a Foam brush usualy3-4 coats with drying between, each coat in different directions of the liquid gloss/matte medium.
Be sure its mixed well together.. I use craft sticks stirring slowly so not to have many airbubbles,even after sitting in jar for a wk or two even a day it needs to be REMixed as it kinda settles/separates.

Yes this is my final varnish
I presently have been using the spray varnish in Satin and the liquid mix of gloss and medium,... stir/mix it well before applying each coat.
if not you will get gloss/matte streaks from foam brush. wash out with soap and water.
hope this helps,
feel free to send me a message for more questions!

barsha
07-01-2011, 06:27 AM
MartySHay, I have mixed in a grumbacher gloss varnish & Medium Jar which I used up by mixing with the matte varnish by Liquitex over a year ago.
I use now only Liquitex gloss and Matte Varnish.. see photo below the redish label. but I have used the green label in the past which is varnish and medium by liquitex.
First I use a spray varnish either gloss,matte or satin, whatever they have available, by Windsor & Newton. I do this to seal the painting and prevent color/tint from smearing.. might have been a fluke but once a few yrs ago I brushed on the varnish and the darker color showed a tint on the white areas, so had to touch up.. now I spray it first, not wanted to take chances. THEN>....I apply with a Foam brush usualy3-4 coats with drying between, each coat in different directions of the liquid gloss/matte medium.
Be sure its mixed well together.. I use craft sticks stirring slowly so not to have many airbubbles,even after sitting in jar for a wk or two even a day it needs to be REMixed as it kinda settles/separates.

I presently have been using the spray varnish in Satin and the liquid mix of gloss and medium,... stir/mix it well before applying each coat.
if not you will get gloss/matte streaks from foam brush. wash out with soap and water.
hope this helps,
feel free to send me a message for more questions!
Kathie, this is what you do after the painting is finished. But is there anything required before the underpainting is done (on canvas)for the paintings' longevity?

And is spraying a must-do?

OkeeKat
07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure it helps the paintings Longevity, I think the final varnish is what preserves the painting from fading, yellowing and from the elements.
But before....I always Regesso any canvas' 2-3 times with lightly sanding in between the dry coats before painting, this is so I get the smoother surface I prefer for my details.. each coat helps fill in the weave, texture of the canvas a bit more making it easier to paint fine details.
I do however after my sketches on the white gesso I do spray seal it with a krylon workable fixative for pencil or Grumbacher's Final fixative for pencil/pastel/charcoal. this helps keep the sketch from smearing when I paint the undercoat. Sometimes I End up spraying to much, but then I just once dry lightly sand it to roughen it up a little so the painting isn't so slick.. sometimes if it is in spots I just go back and repaint the underpainting a few times, which is usualy watery thin.
Other wise I dont seal it any other time till finished.
The spray varnish is my own personal choice as I mentioned about previous experience where the color tint was in the varnish over the white once, SO I prefer not to have that occur again, so its one easy step so why not.
saves touching up.
Hope that helps explain.

Marty Shay
07-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Thank you so much, Kathie, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I use the same Liquitex products, right now I have the red label matte and satin and the green label gloss but by Liquitex. I'm going to try that, I want more gloss than I can get with the satin but it's too much with just the gloss. I do the same with a fine varnish brush--brush in perpendicular directions--and I apply several light coats. I also prepare my canvases the same way, I sand them lightly with fine sandpaper, then re-gesso, then sand again, I get a very smooth surface for my painting. I have done something similar with a very light coat of varnish when I start off if I have soft pencil marks, if not, I lay down my background color and start the painting. Thanks so much for your experience, I do try to mix even the pure varnish, gloss or satin, by a gentle rocking of the bottle to keep bubbles down--will make sure I have the combination of the two mixed as well.

And I forgot to tell you--in my excitement of getting my question to you--but the magnolia is absolutely beautiful, I see why the customer wanted another one with a blue background--I also love the thicker canvases with the wrap sides--I do the same, coat it to the edges. Thanks again for your help.
J

OkeeKat
07-01-2011, 12:06 PM
You are very welcome, Glad to help.
THANK YOU I am glad you enjoyed my Painting too!!
Have a great day!!

Marty Shay
07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Kathie: You will see from my posts on the Border Collie site and the Question post about mixing that I did exactly what you suggested, mixed the gloss and the satin--mixed approx. a 3 to 1--gloss over satin, mixed gently but thoroughly, it's perfect!!! Thanks so much, no streaks, went on very smoothly and is much closer to what I wanted, some gloss and the detail sharper than I could get with the satin or matte. Thank you so much!! :)
J

jocko500
07-01-2011, 09:00 PM
have you tried hard board if you like smooth surface?
here a link
http://painting.about.com/od/paintingforbeginners/a/hardboard.htm
and if you wonder about how long it will last it will tell you there too. longer than canvas.
I used mesitnie [i misspell so bad here that check spell do not work]it a smooth hard board that i primed with xim and then used some coated of gesso in the 1970's when i first started to paint. I stopped because i got marry and had a family. anyway my house burn down and all the canvas paintings burn up too i had. But the one I painted on the hard board did not burn. Yes it bustier some what and the smoke that got into the paint did a wonderful job on it. i thinking of doing more and smokeing them in a control way lol. I will post that painting this week end to show how it is now. it going into a show so that tell you some one likes the effect too.

Plus I saw this book in the libery [misspelled againthat check spell can not find, it a place you go to get books for free] It blow my mind and most of the images will tell what they painted on and it is the same as I used mestnie of a hard board, here the link
http://www.amazon.com/Chesley-Awards-Science-Fiction-Fantasy/dp/1904332102.
i know you not into sci-fi but you would like to see what and how they got these images which many of the artists will tell how. Like one made a mini castle outside the same type he going to paint just to get the shadows right in the first snow fall. And like I say they tell what they was painted in and on what they painted on. which you may find of value.
sorry to take up you time:thumbsup:

OkeeKat
07-01-2011, 09:41 PM
YEAH!!! I am so glad it worked out for you J!! Glad to help!! :))
Jocko, thanks for the info, yes I have used tempered masonite alot on the rough side and smoothe side gessoing them. I love the smoothe surfaces for my fine details.

Marty Shay
07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Very interesting, Jocko, and since it's masonite, no wonder it didn't burn--that's great. Look forward to seeing your finished work before you put it in a show. Be sure to post it. I do like the smooth canvas but I have no doubt it would burn too, :-(.
J

barsha
07-02-2011, 05:48 AM
thank u Kathie, really will help me a lot. Would save this page in 'favourites' :)

OkeeKat
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Glad to help Barsha!! :)