PDA

View Full Version : Studio Lighting

idylbrush
06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I recently have been using compact florescent lights that are dimmable in the studio. I am working on a painting now that is a beautiful golden color in the studio. A bit warm but a very warm honey feel to it. I take it outside and it is an easter egg.

Thinking I might try some LED dimmable lights. Got some for the house but have yet to switch the studio over to them. Got an Ott Lite battery operated LED clip on light that is amazing. Got it to experiment with. Now to find something similar in a dimmable LED for the fixtures in the studio.

Anyone have any thoughts, have tried, hated, loved or have been disappointed in their studio lighting. If so would you be willing to discus the issues and resolutions you found.

gaykir
06-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I have dimable LED's in my studio and I'm pretty happy with them so far. The light is good and they are not as hot as incandescent bulbs. Mine are on a track which I had designed in a big circle so all they all can be directed toward the canvas. So far so good but I still take my canvas outside every so often when I'm in my "study it for awhile" phase. You just have be careful to buy white bulbs and not the warm or cool whites which cast the obvious shades.

Robwood
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
The problem with fluorescent lights, whether compact or linear, is they are not truly "white" in the sense of sunlight. They have big holes in their spectral output, and depending on their color temperature can skew your colors either warmer or cooler compared to sunlight. LED lights are nearly as bad-- most LED lamps use blue LEDs coupled with yellow phosphor to approximate white- but many are way too blue (too high color temp) and none is a perfect replica of sunlight. LED lights are particularly bad toward the red end of the spectrum, although there has been a lot of technical progress lately on improving color rendering with LEDs. The best approximation is still the good old inefficient incandescent bulb, which is set to be outlawed in the US next year (100W or larger). In my studio I use a combination of linear fluorescent with CCT of about 3500 degrees combined with a 75W incandescent bulb. The combination gives me the best approximation of sunlight and plenty of brightness. Stock up on those edison bulbs now before they're banned!:)

Rob

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm no expert on bulbs but I dread running out of the good old-fashioned ones - now banned in the UK.
I use a mix of halogen ceiling lights (cos the studio is a dual or even triple purpose room!) and blue daylight bulbs around the easel. Having said that tho'., I still don't feel altogether comfotable about the lighting and usually end up adding another standard lamp with two lights directed at the canvas ......... or give up altogether and wait until daylight! It gets very HOT! :lol:

Dcam
06-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Howard: I use a Halogen garage light ( used for car repairs) and a 500 watt. bulb in a flood lamp pointed at the ceiling right above my easel, and the ceiling is painted very bright white. This does the job for me.
Derek

idylbrush
06-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Thank you alll for your input and ideas. Going to see about getting at least one LED dimmable bulb today and remove on of the CFL bulbs. Guess, experimentation and play are always the answer aren't they.

Ms Nan
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Speaking of the energy efficient fluorescent bulbs, the spotlight type ones we have used as replacements in overhead "can" lights throughout the house are definitely too harsh and blue (all of our walls etc. are golds and mellow which turn kind of gray-green in this light). Is there any way one can paint the bottom of these spots to tone this down?

idylbrush
06-09-2011, 06:01 PM
If your cfl bulbs are throwing a blue light you may want to consider getting the warm white lights to make the golds more golden. Think that is what happened in my studio. To warm.