PDA

View Full Version : Red Geraniums

PainterDeb
06-05-2011, 10:14 PM
11x14 on canvas.

I think I am almost finished, I'm starting to fiddle with it... Should I make the sky a little grayer and a bit lighter?? C&C def welcome. :)

Based on a photo from the RIL, thanks to the contributor.

PattiLou
06-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Very nice Deb. You should have waited and posted this in the floral challenge... which is the color red this month.

arl
06-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Lovely composition.

ladypainter
06-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Lovely work and yes I think you are finished.:)

ArtsyMom
06-06-2011, 10:07 AM
This is lovely, I love the colors in it. Lil

PainterDeb
06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Patti, Arlene, Elinor, and Lil, Thanks for your comments!

Elinor, did you show up to "shoot me"?? :lol: I feel like the painting is almost finished, but something is still off, if that makes sense. I played around in Paint a little, I am attaching a couple of changes I am thinking about making...do they help or not???

Patti, I guess I will have to check out the Floral forum more often, I do look occasionally and I do like flowers.... And I have a photo I just took of a red gerbera daisy that is just begging to be painted....! :)

Dcam
06-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Deb: Hi. this is great. all the flowers are very convincing, but the very bright pink ones are a little too simple in value? Love all else! Derek
:wave:

Sonseeker
06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Deb this is great. I like it better without the changes. The only thing that made me wonder a little bit was the window ledge front? It may be the leaves on the right side covering some of it or just be me. But.... I love the colors, flowers and detail. Again - great job!:thumbsup:

PainterDeb
06-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Derek, Thanks for commenting! you mention the very bright pink flowers...are you looking at the 2nd photo? that is just a rough revision of the painting in Paint....(I was thinking about a few changes, including adding a bit of pink to the original painting...)

Patti, Thanks for your feedback! you're right, the ledge does look a little off... (and you like it better without the changes?)

OkeeKat
06-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Love it Deb!!
I Like the change in the sky it would look a little better, adding the pink its up to you, I like it the way it was but thats up to you!

PainterDeb
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Kathie, thanks for commenting, I appreciate your feedback!! :)

I think I will change the sky, maybe add a bit of pink, and then let it be...I'm not real thrilled with this painting, but it is what it is...and right now I have several other paintings calling me that I am a lot more excited about!

ladypainter
06-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Deb
I just might have to shoot you if you change this painting but it would only be a squirt gun::lol:

Seriously though I do love this painting as it is but of course it is up to you if you want to change it.

gaykir
06-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Well I for one think it's just wonderful - do what you like but the "bones" are perfect!

PainterDeb
06-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Elinor: You think a squirt gun will stop me?? :D

Gayle, Thanks for your feedback. It does look better in person than the photo, so I will just make a few tweaks and call it done...

chammi kaiser
06-09-2011, 04:17 AM
I like it Deb. Specially like those lovely green wooden shutters.

samben84
06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
I love your geraniums - especially the leaves. I definitely like it better with the added color. In the first one, the flowers all look like they are on the same plane as the shutters. The pink gives them more dimension. I love the green shutters.

PainterDeb
06-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Chammi, Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the feedback! :)

Sandy, I think you hit the nail on the head!! something was still bugging me about this painting...it felt too "restrained" for some reason... Now I see the geraniums needed to burst out a little...so I extended a couple of flowers, and pulled the planter closer to the edge of the window sill... I will attach a rough update of my changes in Paint...I think I will be much happier with the painting after these changes, so Thank You so much!! :)

(Also, I noticed your quote about Art and Fear... I'm assuming you read this book and think it is good? I googled it and it looks really interesting!)

CatchingUp
06-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I like the sky a little lighter but I think the flowers, shutters, and shadows are great.

Chia
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi Deb, I like this and definitely feel that's worth a little more work to push it from good to great. I like your amended version with the flowers extending forward and catching the sun more fully. They will really pop when you add their cast shadows. I like a lightened version of the wall but maybe not quite as light as your proposed change. The lighter colour is more in keeping with the stronger shadows. I love the colour of the shutters too and am wondering if creating vertical boards with spaces between might add more interest. This would allow some nice highlights on the board edges & shadows in the spaces. These, of course, are only suggestions & you are best to go with your own instincts. It's always great to be able to play around with an image digitally before committing it to canvas!

PainterDeb
06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
CatchingUp, Thanks for your feedback! I agree with you about the sky, I'll make it a bit lighter than the original. :)

Hi Coralie, I really appreciate your viewpoint, thanks! you had some great suggestions!! :thumbsup:

I will attach my latest version in Paint with the changes....lighten sky, lighten the wall a little, bring the geraniums out a little more and add more highlights, define vertical boards on the shutters, extend the window ledge to the right a bit more...

I think it def looks better than my original version. Thanks for all of the comments!!

ladypainter
06-10-2011, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=PainterDeb]Elinor: You think a squirt gun will stop me?? :D

Just long enough to make you stop and think on it a moment longer:D I think once you have actually painted in the changes it will look good though. It is just the way the program makes it look . Once you actually paint it I think it will be ok.:)

lathadamle
06-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Lovely. Very nice light effect.

samben84
06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking the changes you have planned will be awesome! I'm looking forward to the result. :)

Sandy, I think you hit the nail on the head!! something was still bugging me about this painting...it felt too "restrained" for some reason... Now I see the geraniums needed to burst out a little...so I extended a couple of flowers, and pulled the planter closer to the edge of the window sill... I will attach a rough update of my changes in Paint...I think I will be much happier with the painting after these changes, so Thank You so much!!

I appreciate you telling me so. I hesitated about saying anything because I'm still feeling my way around.

(Also, I noticed your quote about Art and Fear... I'm assuming you read this book and think it is good? I googled it and it looks really interesting!)

I haven't read the book, but I'd definitely like to. I just saw the quote somewhere and it really struck a chord with me.