PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Riot 3/8

rd2ruin
03-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Ok, we'll try this :)

Started with something not too complex, to get everyone addicted.:evil: So I've chosen something we've all seen.

The challenge is to show us your interpretation of these bananas in any style you like. If you're a realist, do a realist. If you're abstract, do abstract. If you just like playing, then play. :)

Let's keep them small, like 10x12 and spend no more than, say, two or three hours on it.

Helpful tips would include how you tackle the folds in the fabric, how you highlighted and shadowed the bananas, and how to get a clean, crisp edge to the bananas. Um, also helpful would be is someone let me know if the fabric is green or brown, dang this color blindness.. LOL

We'll see how this goes. There's a larger version of this at http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=11102&papass=&sort=1

Cheers!
- Greg

Smudger
03-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Good Idea, i think i'll give this one a go. At least i don't have to think about what to paint.

How about the first one to post their picture gets to pick next weeks?

sundiver
03-08-2003, 01:41 PM
It's brownish green! :)

Thanks, Greg. I'll get to it soon's the chores:( are done.

rd2ruin
03-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Smudger
Good Idea, i think i'll give this one a go. At least i don't have to think about what to paint.

How about the first one to post their picture gets to pick next weeks?

That's a great idea. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The only thing is that since we're global, some people might still be sleeping when it starts. So let's think about getting a concensus, and then the first person can pick the picture on a popular subject.

So everyone add on your's what subject you'd like to do next time as well, like water or cats or somethingl. The first poster can get a feel of what folks want and post a picture next weekend! :)

Cheers!
- Greg

sundiver
03-08-2003, 03:08 PM
Okay, so the chores aren't ALL done..but most of them are, and what could I do with the laundry while it's still chugging around in the machine? I hate housework so much, you clean everything and it just gets messy again.
Pastel pencils, 5x7 on black, half an hour of stolen chore time.

Smudger
03-08-2003, 03:17 PM
sundiver - you don't hang about do you!
very nice! :clap: what pencils do you use?

gmc
03-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Ok I am going to try to attach this. If I don't succeed, you won't hear from me for another 4 weeks. Oh my gosh!!! It worked again. Soo, these are "bananas" 7x8 burgundy canson. About 1 hour start to finish.

gmc
03-08-2003, 03:35 PM
sundiver,

That's funny. I gave up chores also.

Excellent rendition. The background is showing up blues. If so they are lovely. geri

angeline
03-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Ok have printed the picture....will do it tomorrow i hope!

rd2ruin
03-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Hmmm ... you've all done bananas before, so it looks LOL

I like them both :clap: :clap: Someday I'll have to look into pastel pencils, never used them before. Taking notes on the dark sides of the bananas, since I went with the dull brown and darker green.

Sun what's with the blue background? You told me it was brownish green LOL ... now I'm all confused. :confused: :)

I underpainted (or at least that's what I'm calling it) the fabric in dark blues, underpainted with bananas with light green. Dang the flash on the camera which picks up every single nook I missed in this paper and magnifies it.

If you dont count the time waiting for the alcohol to dry (um, the alcohol on the paper, not in my hand :D ) it took about an hour.

This was fun, I'm going to do another one with sum of them cool lavender and purple shadows. Who'da thunk? LOL

Bananas
10x12
Fredrix Canvas Pad

sundiver
03-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Smudger , I have Contes and Derwents, prefer the Derwents.
Geri, I like your creamy colors!

Originally posted by rd2ruin
Sun what's with the blue background? You told me it was brownish green LOL ... now I'm all confused. :confused: :)

It IS brownish-green. But mine is blue! :) I decided it needed some contrast.
Is there a reason you go over your underpainting with alcohol and not water? (I was wondering if alcohol caused less buckling of the paper.)

Mikki Petersen
03-09-2003, 12:57 AM
Great bananas Sundiver, Geri and Greg.

Okay, I'll give this a go and see what happens. Sure is a binge on fruit lately. Is everyone feeling scurvied from the long winter?

rd2ruin
03-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by sundiver

Is there a reason you go over your underpainting with alcohol and not water? (I was wondering if alcohol caused less buckling of the paper.)

It fixes the pastel, as opposed to water, which just seems to wash it on this surface at least. I didn't even notice this until now, after someone had asked me why I used it as a fixitive on 'Carly's Flowers'. And it evaporates quickly, only had to wait a few minutes to start applying dry pastel on top.

I apply it with a paper towel, in strokes, to give me some motion in the underpainting. I was very happy the way the leaves in the last one and the green in this one using this method creating motion. Since it doesn't spread as widely on the paper towel as water might (or it simply evaporates so quickly on barely wet paper towel), I get surprising control about what I'm applying it to.

The paper ... I'm using medium canvas pad, it's more like a cloth than paper ... not only doesn't buckle, it doesn't even flinch. It points and laughs and says "Bring It On, Tough Guy!" LOL

Although this paper isn't really made for pastels, I'm very happy with it. It agrees with my 'pile it on slop and drop' method :D I've never felt Canson, so it's tough for me to compare, but I'm planning on picking up a piece this week, so I'll let you know.

Cheers!
- Greg

Smudger
03-09-2003, 03:24 PM
OK here's my effort, it took all of the 3 hours but i suppose speed will come with experience. I really enjoyed it though and tried out the dust technique on the cloth that i read about here and learnt a lot.
It's done on the rough side of some A4 Lana using derwent pastel pencils (me too Sundiver) and i can't wait for next weeks.

rd2ruin - doh! hadn't thought of the time difference.:confused:

I love the entry's so far and i bet there's some great ones to come.:clap:

PS if you can see a lighter panel across the bottom half of the image, it's my dodgy scanner!:mad:

rd2ruin
03-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Uh, that first picture stunk. I had to use a flash, which bleached it, and then decrease the brightness in a program. In the light of day, I re-took the picture. Makes them look more like bananas than plantains.

I think I'll have to keep my picture taking to the daylight hours, since I have this problem a lot and dont like room lighting with this camera.

Cheers!
- Greg

rd2ruin
03-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Ugh, again with the loading images LOL

Dark_Shades
03-09-2003, 05:26 PM
just wanted to let ya know .... Im with you guys lol.... just not enough hours in the day .... hoping to get something done within the week ....... great postings .... all of them.... well done to you

sundiver
03-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Smudger, your bananas look photorealistic!
Greg, the daylight picture is definitely better, more cheerful.
Um, as the first poster I'm supposed to get opinions from you all on what kind of image you want for next weekend....
My DH just got back from 2 weeks "work" in Cuba, and besides all the pictures of boiler rooms (he's an engineer and teaches thermodynamics and stuff) he got several nice images...some floral, a waterfall, an expressive portrait, an old car,a landscape.
Anything sound interesting? Or would you like a nice simple still life?
This thread is fun. It kind of replaces the Drawing Events, which were also very fun but seem to have fizzled out, unfortunately.

angeline
03-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Ok here is my attempt.......it took me about 1 1/2 hours but I think that was partley because I chose to do it on light paper...and on reflection i would of been better on black...i spent most of the time covering the paper and blending!
Good learning experience.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2003/19726-bananas.jpg

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Sundiver, I would love to have you select something very cuban looking, except a cuban boiler or cigar, that is. An interesting portrait might be nice or landscape. There has been a lot of emphasis on still lifes of late but I guess that would be okay too if that's all anyone else wants.

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 12:20 AM
All the bananas are looking terrific. I find I'm actually more fascinated by the draped cloth than the bananas though. Getting a little tired of fruit.

Dark_Shades
03-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Sundiver your hubbies pics all sound wonderful...... the car would be very very interesting hee hee

Mikki I havent seen you post anything in ages :confused: woz up :)

Angeline your narna's are lovely

Smudger
03-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Love yours angeline:clap: what did you use?

angeline
03-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Hi Smudger thanks.......I used my windsor and newton set.....on a pad of their pastel paper....not fantastic paper i know but I got the pads before I realised there was better paper out there!

Impete......I spent alot of time on the folds of fabric too....

Sundiver I will have a go at anything......

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Hi Dawn! Between vacation, being sick and caring for visiting grandchildren, I haven't been getting much else done. Also I joined the Post Card Project #4 and have been doing a lot of experimenting with colored pencil on those really small formats, but I'm still here. Thanks for caring.

Smudger
03-10-2003, 03:00 PM
yes!... we have no bananas, we have no bananas today...

sorry but someone had to say it

angeline
03-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Lmao! :D

Dark_Shades
03-10-2003, 03:25 PM
yes!... we have no bananas, we have no bananas today...

sorry but someone had to say it

lol Smudger....... Yes I have No Bananas...lol.... I did have but the painting turned out 'orrid so I chucked it in the bin :D

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Okay all you fruit lovers, I'm finally back in the pastel dust again. I decided to try a few new things to make this more interesting. I tooka a 9x12 canvas board and applied Art Spectrum pastel primer to it in a reddish tinged medium grey called Aubergine. The surface was VERY toothy in the beginning, so much so I could not get the pastels to blend. So I tried using water and a paint brush as I've been reading in other threads. This toned down the tooth and gave me a nice undercoating to build from. I suspect I will use the water technique to create underpaintings a lot in the future when I'm not working on paper (I'm afraid the moisture would really warp paper). I also decided to use a complimentary color for the drape just to be different. I like the way it came out.

Bananas:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2003/14550-bananas.jpg

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Angeline, I like your bananas. Took me a lot longer to get the same image, about 2 3/4 hours. I'm definitely not speedy.

Smudger
03-10-2003, 04:16 PM
They're fabulous and the drape is so realistic... i love it:clap: :clap:

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 04:21 PM
This was a great starter project for these threads but I imagined something a little different when we were discussing the concept. Wouldn't it be more interesting to use a more complex subject photo. That way each artist could interpret the subject in their own way which would be really interesting and educational for us all. Since this is not the speed painting thread, we could go for more complex paintings. For example, say the ref photo was of a sailboat as seen from the bank of a lake with a tree and flowers. One artist might chose the whole scene, another to focus in on the boat, another to create a floral from the flowers on the shore, or to focus in on the tree and it's reflection in the water. I always find it interesting to see what different interpretations people put on the same photo. The Filoli Gardens project, "Interpretting the Historical" was most fascinating because we were given the same set of ref photos and an amazing array of paintings resulted, based on what the artist saw in the image and their personal style. These are just my thoughts...take them as you will.

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Smudger, going back through the thread I realize I didn't see your bananas before. They are great. Your style has a real graphic quality. I like it.

angeline
03-10-2003, 04:30 PM
mikki Thanks for your comment on my work.......I may have been speedier.......but your drapes look so much better!.And I love the change of colour you have done............ah I should of taken a bit more time and got it better....but it was late.

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 04:37 PM
I don't think mine is better, just different. But thank you for the nice compliment.

Dark_Shades
03-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Looks like a thumbs up for this water technique then :) ..... love your cloth there Mikki very sumptuous

meowmeow
03-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Great bananas everyone! It looks like you all have been having a good time while I was not here. :D

Sandy

rd2ruin
03-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Mikki... ooooh. Love the color of the drapes.

As you have metioned, it is just a simple starter project. I didn't want to go crazy with the first one because I was covertly pulling some of us newbies out of the lurking corners :D

But even in this one I've learned how pastel pencils looks compared to pastels, how different underpaintings and colors (that purple magenta thing you got going, sundiver's blue and the different greens) can change the feel of an identical picture. For the record, I have no love for fruit... I would rather eat or paint chocolate than fruit anyday myself. :)

No need to use simple (as you folks who know what you're doing call them :D ) still lifes LOL :D ... just something we can get everyone involved in who doesn't have all the skill in the world. I was hoping to get everyone to do something in thier own style (the style you use when you're having fun) rather than getting everyone to do thier best pixel by pixel recreation (unless they're sadistic and call this fun LOL) of the image so we can learn more by comparing, and maybe start trying different things in our own works.

Get enough of these, and down the road I'll be able to do "Wine And Glasses in the Style of Dark_Shades"... :cool: How fun would that be? LOL

The only key to that is having one picture. More complex pics would be hard for me... I'm a simple man, some say a simpleton :rolleyes: .. but as long as it's something that could be done in a couple hours or so, then let's try it. A nice between above the weekly sketch and just below a regular painting (in effort and time). I'm unemployed, but I know some of y'all prolly got, like, jobs and a life and stuff.

I like the 'boat on water' thing. I think we're all into learning more about water and reflections. Something that looks authentically Cuban, other than the aforementioned cigar and boiler, and add Fidel Castro to that list would be fun. Maybe something fun for St. Patty's Day coming up, like an Irish farmhouse or castle... just no Irish Potatoes ROFL :D :D :D

Cheers!
- Greg

Luvy
03-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Wow I just found this so hope I won't be late. It's the 10th So going to start on it right now

You all have been busy. Now it my turn to try.

Great job love the many varietys of how people do their art *S*

My daughter's been in town so haven't been doing much of anything. But she's out for the night So I'm off *S*

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Greg, I'm sorry if I sounded like I was taking shots at this thread. That was not my intention. I realize the value of painting these bananas or I wouldn't have taken the time to do it. I did learn a lot in this exercise as I explained when posting my painting AND I learned a new idea from you about using the alcohol. I chose to use water so I would not be fixing the pastel but I have taken note and will surely try this in the future.

The direction I'm striving toward in my painting at the moment is to learn to better interpret a scene to create interpretive art instead of being a copy artist. As stated before, I have been spellbound by the creative interpretations a lot of the WC artists in all forums manage. I look at a banana and I see a banana (apparently so does everyone else because there is not much variation here). I look at a photo of a still life and I see every element there where others imagine it better with our without some of the elements or change the placement of objects, etc. If the reference photo had a number of elements to it, it would be open to broader interpretation. Beginners, and I'm one too, could chose to focus one only one element or object if that is their desire or they could challenge themselves to something more stretching while those with more experience and knowledge to offer might be drawn to the thread because of an interesting subject for a painting.

Beyond all that, it was only a suggestion based on my personal wants and needs. I'm sorry if it seemed critical. AND I have great respect for still life artists. The good ones blow me away.

Mo.
03-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Great bananas everyone, and such a beautiful variety of talents and techniques, Kudos to you Greg for starting this thread.

I've been reading the comments from Mikki and Greg, and have to say that although there seems to be a lot of folks who like to paint fruit and veg and I'm not knocking that, it's a great learning experience for some, but I can see what Mikki means, we are in danger of overdo! :)

Taking Mikki's suggestion of a busy pic, which can be painted as a whole or just a part of the whole seems good to me, this way then everyone can choose according to their ability how they wish to go about it. It was interesting reading through the threads how the drapery seemed to interest some more than the banana's. We need to inject something other than fruit and veg I feel, look how the weekly sketch is slowly dying out, I lost interest in that one quite quickly, maybe it's as Mikki says we ALL need to be challenged, I'm not saying that practising quick sketches is a no no, but perhaps a more serious challenge would help everyone to stretch a little? Just my views and no offence intended to anyone especially to Greg, who thought of this great idea.

cheers,
Mo.

rd2ruin
03-10-2003, 08:42 PM
It didn't sound critical at all (well, maybe not THAT critical LOL :D )

You have a great point, maybe it does need more interest for interpretation. I had no idea what picture to use, so I just picked something easy. You're lucky it wasn't a picture of myself I put out there LOL

So all you out there who can make something interesting out of these naners', hop in!

For easy reference, here's a quick compare for what we've got http://www.mindspring.com/~motlasz/banana.html (I REALLY have too much time on my hands, you'd think I'd spend more time making my bananas look better!)

Mikki, keep them ideas coming! :D :D

Cheers!
- Greg

Luvy
03-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Never understood that song anyway

Well here's mine. Late but better late than never. *S*

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2003/2529-banana1.jpg

sundiver
03-10-2003, 11:16 PM
I've been following this discussion with interest. I appreciate how some might want more of a challenge, or something more complicated. However, we do get that in the monthly project. This month's project fell through, and maybe we're missing that. Next month will bring us a new challenge, and since we'll have a whole month we can be as involved as we like.
I like the idea that the weekly one-picture project (riot) subject is accessible to beginners and more seasoned pastellists alike. Not that it always has to be a still life of fruit!
The other weekly thread is something else entirely, and I don't think it has fizzled out! It's a quick-study pastel work from life, the goal as I understand it to practice and develop skills, and to encourage each other to do the same. Still life is a natural subject here, since it's supposed to be from life, unless it's warm enough to be outside where you are, or you can get your cat to keep still for half an hour! I have learned a LOT from that thread.
No one thread can be all things to all people. If you're not interested in the subject one week, nobody's going to make you paint it! These three separate threads/projects serve three different goals.
Just my 2 cents! :)

And oh, yeah: yes, luvy, you have great bananas! :D

Mikki Petersen
03-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Sundiver said it Luvy...You got great bananas and even better drapery!

Mikki Petersen
03-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Since I've only been painting since last August, I still consider myself a beginner and search out projects and challenge threads to stretch my skills. Maybe I've graduated from beginner and need to stick with the projects now as Sundiver suggests. Somehow this whole discussion got off to a bad start and I should probably back off now, but I want to make statements understood.

One of my failings as an artist is that I get bored with the practice exercises of drawing shapes over and over again. When Greg originally proposed this thread, he proposed we all attempt the same ref photo so we could learn from each artist's interpretation of the subject. I was very excited by that idea. Greg, I'm not knocking these bananas or any other fruit, and still lifes are just fine with me. BUT, look at what we have all posted in this thread. We have drapes and bananas, with some color variation, but very little "interpretation" because the subject photo leaves little to the imagination. I'm not saying let's post some really difficult subject and watch everyone struggle. I'm simply thinking we would learn more and have more interest in the thread.

Look at the weekly sketch threads. Artists of all skill levles have joined in and there is tons of discussion and advice and it is fascinating to see the things people choose to draw, and it's not all fruit. That was sort of a joking theme that developed of it's own accord. The current postcard project has all levels of artists involved. When you have thirty artists creating 29 cards each, that's a huge survey of the variety of interests around. And that project has members who've never posted before to pros. I think to assume that beginning artists require very simplistic subjects is to belittle them. I also do not think a group of beginners alone with simple subjects that do not attract the more experienced artists will provide much to grow on.

All that said, I realize I am probably broaching this topic too early in the history of this concept. So shelve my thoughts for now and lets see where this goes of it's own volition. Greg, if you had used your face as the reference photo, you would have laughed your head off at my poor attempt to capture your likeness. Bananas I can paint and I had fun with them.

Luvy
03-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanks Sundiver and Impete. Here's a daylight picture.

rd2ruin
03-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Luvy

Luvy, I see you wrestling with your flash bleaching your pictures too. Really, how do you turn the #$&@() flash off these things??? :mad: :confused: I have taken to covering the flash with my finger even in daylight.

All those years and degrees in computers can't help me now LOL :D :D :D

Cheers!
- Greg

rd2ruin
03-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Luvy

Luvy, I see you wrestling with your flash bleaching your pictures too. Really, how do you turn the #$&@() flash off these things??? :mad: :confused: I have taken to covering the flash with my finger even in daylight.

All those years and degrees in computers can't help me now LOL :D :D :D

Cheers!
- Greg

Dark_Shades
03-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Ohh howd ya do that Greg lol... thas clever.....

theres an echo in here :D

rd2ruin
03-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
Ohh howd ya do that Greg lol... thas clever.....

theres an echo in here :D

I though it was really important and had to be said twice! Heck if I know how I did it. :confused: Sometimes (ok, everytime) I even amaze myself.

- Greg

Dark_Shades
03-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Lol . ..... you like clappies right? ..... heres one to your humour :clap: .... love it lol
.... am in a generous mood.... have another :) :clap:

sundiver
03-11-2003, 07:53 PM
So I take it you don't want me to post a picture of fruit next week! :D
Having said that, I enjoyed doing those bananas. I don't particularly consider myself a beginner, I sell quite a bit of my work, but I doubt there are many images in the gallery that are so simple I can't learn SOMETHING from them. I also enjoyed knowing that other people were doing them too, and I liked seeing the results.
I fully intend to continue the Pastel Riot in the same vein it was started. It won't be a still life, but will not be very complicated. Maybe I'll post two, one a bit more of a challenge. But not being a mind-reader, I can't promise to please everyone who wanders into the thread. Anyone who is displeased is free to wander back out again!:D
(And yeah, but guess what: I'm also the person in charge of April's monthly project, and challenge you then I shall!)
Thanks, Greg, for taking the trouble to start this weekly Riot!

Smudger
03-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Monthly! i thought it was weekly... and i've been sitting here waiting for the next challenge:(
I loved doing the nanas but it was only my second pastel so i was greatfull for a simple subject but i still learnt a lot and loved seeing the different styles and techniques used... well done everyone. just don't scare me off with anything too challenging.

angeline
03-12-2003, 01:37 PM
I thought this was weekly too!

Dark_Shades
03-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Smudger/Angeline.... Sundiver is talking about seperate project to this one .... :) .... no fear.... Greg will be here hee heee

rd2ruin
03-12-2003, 02:17 PM
I'm here, but Sundiver is coronated Queen of next week's thread.. She showed us her banana's first. LOL

Me? I'll still retain my position of "King of The NitWits!" :D :D

Cheers!
- Greg

Smudger
03-12-2003, 02:19 PM
:o i can stop panicking then:confused:

E-J
03-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Here are my bananas ~ my first pastel for a week and the first time I've used my NuPastels from New York!! These took me an hour. I had to keep fiddling with the shape of the front banana as it looked too much like a willy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2003/13865-bananas.jpg

NuPastels are brilliant. I'd expected them to be like Conté sticks but they are more vibrant.

sundiver
03-12-2003, 04:56 PM
:o i can stop panicking then:confused:

No panicking necessary. The monthly project is a whole nother thingy. The March one just got missed and KarenU, who is coordinating them, has been very busy with her work lately, so newbies won`t know what we`re talking about.

Here are the Feb and Jan projects:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=364

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=331

Nice nanas, EJ! Glad you like the Nupastels.

Mo.
03-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Welcome back E-J, your banana looks nothibng like a willy! :D...it looks just like a banana! :D Good 'un!

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
03-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by E-J
I had to keep fiddling with the shape of the front banana as it looked too much like a willy.

ROARS WITH LAUGHTER!!! :D ..... there is sooooooo many comments I wanna make..... but wont .... LOLOL EJ :evil: :D

E-J
03-12-2003, 06:43 PM
LOLOL if I'd fiddled less with it, it might've helped, yeah? LOL

Redsy333
03-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by E-J
LOLOL if I'd fiddled less with it, it might've helped, yeah? LOL
LOL :D:D:D:D
Ummm *hahahaaa* errrr...umm well....yeah !
Must of been a happy banana eh? lmao

djstar
03-16-2003, 02:41 PM
I lost the thread but sort of liked the bananas.
I was so happy to find it again, I am going to post and read it after... whew....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2003/1730-bananas.jpg
I did them in the dark and still hate doing still life but decided this was a great challenge to me.
Thanks for the impetus, I will be back.
dj*