PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Buildings HOMEWORK week 1

sherrysherman
06-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Okay, here's a thread for the homework.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 03:39 PM
You can submit 1 photo containing a building. I would prefer that you type up what you would do differently after taking today's class. When you submit your work, unless you specify otherwise I may add your submission to the power point presentation to be used as examples in my class.
Thanks

nougat
06-04-2011, 03:39 PM
a photo of a painting of ours right?? :)

robertsloan2
06-04-2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/70184-Evening-time.jpg
Evening time
Hard pastels on brown rough sketch paper.

What I'd do differently after today's class: I'd vary the roof pitch, slump it a bit, jazz it up and pull up some loose shingles. I'd gradate the color and value more along the walls to break the flatness. I'd vary the negative spaces in the fence too and put a board at a slant. I might make that little path a bit more of a varied zig zag, make it more complex even though it's just lighter grass areas.

I also would put at least one more plane into the background trees. I like their softness against the hard edges of the building though and like how the colors on the side of the building gradated. Oh DUH!

I stuck with the photo, but if I added a chimney or a dormer to the rooftops I'd sure have more interesting lines. I varied the trees from the photo a lot more than the building itself. The light inside the doorway is a hit, that was from your earlier class.

I know I can improve my buildings a lot. I did this one on January 5th, after taking all your December classes so it's way beyond any building I did before it - but I can do better now! I've just been avoiding buildings and don't paint them very often or I'd have a more recent one.

This was at the time the best pastel I'd ever done. :D

I paint better than I used to and not as well as I will.

gardenart
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Johannes,
THis is the first painting I did after the last series of classes. I got a lot of nice comments over in the water color forum on it. I was not happy with the trees on the hill side and feel I could have varies the lines in the house to not be quite so rigid. If I did it over i would leave out the building behind the house or made it more distinct as a shed. This was from a wonderful reference photo sent by one of our members of the coast line in Wales. ANy thing else you see would be appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/214425-lakeside_2.jpg

Thanks so much for all you do for us.
Sue

Nice one Robert.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes but it needs a building so we stay focused.

arp8nter
06-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I did this before I took any of your classes as a historical painting of our former church building so I kept in some things I would leave out of a painting to hang at home or to sell. I would leave out or change the road. I would not use such straight lines. I would leave out many stones on the walls, not clone the windows, change the sign from black to a lighter value, make the bushes melodic, change the sky color or at least put more blue into the lower parts of the painting. I would also change the angle of the building on the right. Maybe I just need to paint it all over again!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/79422-My_IBC_006.jpg

sylvia
06-04-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/265-939577-R1-23-24.jpg I would change just about everything! the stones on the chimney the straight lines on roof fence is all wrong and lines all over the building!! OW!
the hedge is to dark and the tree leaves to bright..I could go on but I wont I used to really like this painting. Phyllis P.S the photo is a little tilted, sorry

Sienna black
06-04-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/221528-Coaticook_Barn.jpg Hi Jo, loved your class. :clap: Here is a painting I did about a month ago. It's an acrylic painting painted on Mulberry watercolor paper which I glued to a canvas...just for a different effect.
What I would change......I would loose the far edges on the barn, I would maybe include some features such as a ladder , I would open the door and let the viewer see a table or something like that.:wave:

nougat
06-04-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/15364-homework1.JPG

please point out all the other flaws i've missed.

judithj
06-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I am attaching my photo because for some reason the insert image link will not see my file. Acrylics - 19" x 17"

I do love this painting - even though there are so many things I would do differently now... - I think one of the main things would be to play a little bit more with the gradients on the planes. I would make more interesting shapes and melodic lines.

I just want to say... What a great class! - Many thanks - have struggled with buildings and you have really helped a LOT! Was so glad I was able to figure out how to get to the webinar - a little bit of confusion for me at the beginning to find the link.

You are wonderful teacher Johannes. A treasure indeed and I am grateful for your teaching and very much enjoy listening to your classes. I did listen to many of the Landscape ones - but work commitments kept me from many and from doing much homework... I hope to do all of the homework for this class.

Kindest Regards, Judith

MrsBeth
06-04-2011, 04:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/30777-barn_copy.jpg I have always felt I need to do something different with this painting and this is the main reason I joined the class.I think alfter today's class I would:
1. Make buildings a little smaller& increase landscape and sky a little more.
2. Add an angle to right side of barn roof so it not so rounding.
3. make trees in background a little lighter and fade more into background.
4. add a little brick texture to silo.
5. change back of barn, blend into background not so definded.
6. add more color to sky

would appreciate all suggestions and comments

artyman
06-04-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/227975-DSCF8040_A.JPG

One major correction I would make to add the color gradation to the roof.

spirothet
06-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi Johannes,

I created this painting even before your previous webinar. I had intended to correct the horizon line behind the house because it is too straignt. I think the roof line needs to be softened a bit breaking up the dark lines. The hillside in front of the house is also too straight and behind the house on the right the hillside seems to be cloned. Other than all that, I still like it. Please comment. Thank you for a great start to the new webinar. Cali

RainySea
06-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I have not really painted buildings before . . . I'm relatively new to art in the last few years and most of my work outside of my sketchbook has only been animals so far. So I don't have any past work to post except maybe some quick sketches in past sketchbooks or something like that. SORRY. . . but I do want to learn how to do buildings. They are not something I've ever been much comfortable to try before

Tarlo
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
My painting was recently finished for a W/Colour challenge from ref photo supplied by Doug. I feel the following would help improve it
Reflect surrounding colours into building colour
Make the roof lines more melodic
Use gradient plane on the roof
Deepen the shadows on the side of the building.

Thank you Johannes for the wonderful lesson today.

Judy :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/927792-DSCF1612-1.JPG

Sandra39
06-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Johanne;
Thanks so much for your suggestion of this thread so we can upload our previous painting of building and let you know how we would do better after just one class with you.
I learned so much from you and looking at my painting now, there are so many areas that I need to change.

1.) Get rid of the big tree on the left, push it to the back and create a tree mass.
2). Get rid of the tree top on the roof.
3). Create several types of trees in the back(wet-in-wet) including pine trees and put them in different planes.
4). Push the barn back so it will be a little smaller and reposition it so the side is showing more to create 3 D effect.
5). Move the chicken coop from right front to the side of barn, creating a focal area of barn and the coop. May add some other stuffs like Hay bales, couple of chicken, a dog etc. to make the focal area more interesting.
5). Reposition the fence in the front so it leads the eyes into the barn area. Get rid of the fence at the back. Make the windows and doors more entertaining.
6). Leave the no fly zone uncluttered and less details.

Wow! It will be like I am painting a brand new project but it should look more attractive.
Thanks so much, Johanne.

Sandi C.

LLeone
06-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi Johannes,
Great to be back in classes again : )
The edges of the building are too straight - base of building could be broken up with some grasses.
The windows are too dark.
My colours do not seem fresh- not sure what I'm doing wrong there - is it too much Titanium white??.
Paint is not thick enough - a lot of the canvas is showing through in the photo.

angelrose
06-05-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm sorry to say that I don't have a picture to share at the moment and I am new to painting buildings, but I hope to learn all about it from this highly recommended seminar! I have already learned so much from today's session. I am looking forward to the next one! Thank you Johannes for letting us pick your brain!

Colorix
06-05-2011, 03:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/117343-Side_by_side_small.jpg

Happened to have a 'before/after'. Left one is painted a year ago, and right one very recently, that is, after the landscape classes. I did bring out the demolishing crew and shortened one building to get less of a straight line of the tops on the left, and added those water thingamys to the top right building. Another change I did was to have less other thingamies :) in the windows. (Whats the word for wooden strips between panes of glass?) The 'after' only has flecks of colour giving an impression of small panes.

If I did it again, I'd worry less about straight lines, and I'd find a way to break up the right roof-line, might even put a bird there. I'd also figure out how to avoid the optical illusion all the diagonals create.

Noula
06-05-2011, 03:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/243521-church3crop.jpg

This was done before I discovered the first webinar. Johannes, finally composition and much more is making some sense.
Now I'd paint differently:
1 Move the church slightly more to the left. Remove a few stones on the outline edges.
2 Soften the roof top edges.
3 Better the shadow shape of the arch window.
4 Make melodic line of “train track “ parts under the arch window and small wall on steps.
5 Better shapes of two trees . I have cloned them. Add more background planes and soften edges.
6 Maybe I should have used more hues.

Athena

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/70184-Evening-time.jpg
Evening time
Hard pastels on brown rough sketch paper.

What I'd do differently after today's class: I'd vary the roof pitch, slump it a bit, jazz it up and pull up some loose shingles. I'd gradate the color and value more along the walls to break the flatness. I'd vary the negative spaces in the fence too and put a board at a slant. I might make that little path a bit more of a varied zig zag, make it more complex even though it's just lighter grass areas.

I also would put at least one more plane into the background trees. I like their softness against the hard edges of the building though and like how the colors on the side of the building gradated. Oh DUH!

I stuck with the photo, but if I added a chimney or a dormer to the rooftops I'd sure have more interesting lines. I varied the trees from the photo a lot more than the building itself. The light inside the doorway is a hit, that was from your earlier class.

I know I can improve my buildings a lot. I did this one on January 5th, after taking all your December classes so it's way beyond any building I did before it - but I can do better now! I've just been avoiding buildings and don't paint them very often or I'd have a more recent one.

This was at the time the best pastel I'd ever done. :D

I paint better than I used to and not as well as I will.
I would create more a value contrast in the building

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:13 AM
right but of buildings

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Johannes,
THis is the first painting I did after the last series of classes. I got a lot of nice comments over in the water color forum on it. I was not happy with the trees on the hill side and feel I could have varies the lines in the house to not be quite so rigid. If I did it over i would leave out the building behind the house or made it more distinct as a shed. This was from a wonderful reference photo sent by one of our members of the coast line in Wales. ANy thing else you see would be appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/214425-lakeside_2.jpg

Thanks so much for all you do for us.
Sue

Nice one Robert.
I like the way you place the house behind the hill to create the angle. A diagonal line up is preferable over a horizontal or vertical line, nevertheless it is still a line and as such would create a fast visual thrust. When the line starts to get long it is better to make it into a melodic line so let the viewer's eyes will dance on the line instead of follow the line like a monorail in which he will unconsciously feel rushed. One thing I have been going around saying is to think front to back. If you look at your background you placed all the trees at the same level from left to right but what if we insist on placing these trees further back in which you can create several layers of planes in the background, allowing the viewer to go further and further into the distance. See example below

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I did this before I took any of your classes as a historical painting of our former church building so I kept in some things I would leave out of a painting to hang at home or to sell. I would leave out or change the road. I would not use such straight lines. I would leave out many stones on the walls, not clone the windows, change the sign from black to a lighter value, make the bushes melodic, change the sky color or at least put more blue into the lower parts of the painting. I would also change the angle of the building on the right. Maybe I just need to paint it all over again!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/79422-My_IBC_006.jpg
This is an example of what I spoke about yesterday. When we try to do an architectural rendering all the building it ends up looking too rigid. I mentioned that in normal circumstances in the macro world when we look at a building because of its size the I can only focus on a very limited area and everything else becomes a blur or a concept in the eye. However when we take that building and reduce it to just a few mere all the straight lines become cumbersome to the viewer. That's why we are to implement techniques to make these buildings more interesting and the line is less rigid. However I do recognize the illustration has its place on the market and these lines are supposed to be straight in sharp angles must be respected. So from an illustration point of view the building is well done. However if we are too apply artistic concepts and look past the illustration point of view I would add incidents to the long straight line at the roof to slow down the visual thrust. Also from the artistic point of view the tailored sidewalk with its straight lines is also discomforting to the viewer. I as an artist would have grass grow randomly and make it into a dirt path with puddles and overcast shadows for more interest. Obviously this does not apply in this case. That is why I turned down illustrations and pursued a fine art career.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/265-939577-R1-23-24.jpg I would change just about everything! the stones on the chimney the straight lines on roof fence is all wrong and lines all over the building!! OW!
the hedge is to dark and the tree leaves to bright..I could go on but I wont I used to really like this painting. Phyllis P.S the photo is a little tilted, sorry
One thing for sure you were able to create a character all of this painting.I have a tendency of asking myself, "What can I take out of the painting rather than what I can put in". Those fallen tree branches because they have lines immediately create a visual thrust. The eye will naturally follow these lines and get hooked on them.
Also if you change the look of the roof to be different than the wall of the building it will generate more interest.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/221528-Coaticook_Barn.jpg Hi Jo, loved your class. :clap: Here is a painting I did about a month ago. It's an acrylic painting painted on Mulberry watercolor paper which I glued to a canvas...just for a different effect.
What I would change......I would loose the far edges on the barn, I would maybe include some features such as a ladder , I would open the door and let the viewer see a table or something like that.:wave:
One thing I mentioned yesterday is to place that building at a 3/4 position which you did. I tend to put one side of building into a different value than the other side to show little box effect to make the three D look readily noticeable.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/15364-homework1.JPG

please point out all the other flaws i've missed.

I agree with your self assessment but I don't think the lines are too straight. Remember to echo the green collars into the cache shuttles even if they do not appear in the photograph.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I am attaching my photo because for some reason the insert image link will not see my file. Acrylics - 19" x 17"

I do love this painting - even though there are so many things I would do differently now... - I think one of the main things would be to play a little bit more with the gradients on the planes. I would make more interesting shapes and melodic lines.

I just want to say... What a great class! - Many thanks - have struggled with buildings and you have really helped a LOT! Was so glad I was able to figure out how to get to the webinar - a little bit of confusion for me at the beginning to find the link.

You are wonderful teacher Johannes. A treasure indeed and I am grateful for your teaching and very much enjoy listening to your classes. I did listen to many of the Landscape ones - but work commitments kept me from many and from doing much homework... I hope to do all of the homework for this class.

Kindest Regards, Judith
Professional artists are very wary when choosing reference material. When we did take pictures of buildings we always look for a very interesting angles, things are usually not modern looking so the painting does not end up with too many symmetrical shapes which is the case in this painting I feel the building has too much of a flat "box" effect. If you isolate the grass from the pathway you will notice that you have two very symmetrical shapes. It's very difficult to make a painting work under the circumstances. I suspect what compelled you to do this painting was the park area and the building just happened to be there. What you can do is a "Frankenstein" composition in which you insert a more interesting building in place of the original building. That way you have the best of both worlds. You will see some examples of this next class.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/30777-barn_copy.jpg I have always felt I need to do something different with this painting and this is the main reason I joined the class.I think alfter today's class I would:
6. add more color to sky

One of the things I lectured about yesterday is to place objects inside of buildings but give us hints that there is a reason for the viewer to walk into the building. Also from a personal perspective I am very demanding to myself and selective in choosing the kind of building I will paint. If I don't find interesting angles and positions of these buildings no matter how good I can paint this it would be like beating a dead horse. I would not stop my car to take a picture of this because the lines of the silo and the dome effect of the building would be too hard t solve. However the best you can do with the silo is to at least make the bush taller to reduce rigid lines. Also don't forget reflected light on the shadows of buildings. Because the silo is a cilinder if you show reflected line it will actually look more round. Watch for tangents. We do them unconsciously. The top of the silo lines up with the background trees.

nougat
06-05-2011, 11:59 AM
thank you johannes.
i really appreciate your comments and know how busy you must be.
to clarify.." green collars into the cache shuttles" = green colours into the cast shadows?? a typo? :)

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/227975-DSCF8040_A.JPG

One major correction I would make to add the color gradation to the roof.
Try dry brushing some burnt sienna over the top of the roof for rust. You will love it. Also things get darker where the shadows originate. Where the "L" shape is formed by both walls intersecting that area would be darker and that would help us form the gradient plane that I spoke about yesterday in class. The ground is excellent. If you make the trees less of a meatball look, and create more interesting abstract representations of those trees, the painting will go up one notch.

saphhire
06-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Please advise...I thought I saw where if you missed a class you could view it later. Please tell me how I do that..I missed your first class.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi Johannes,

I created this painting even before your previous webinar. I had intended to correct the horizon line behind the house because it is too straignt. I think the roof line needs to be softened a bit breaking up the dark lines. The hillside in front of the house is also too straight and behind the house on the right the hillside seems to be cloned. Other than all that, I still like it. Please comment. Thank you for a great start to the new webinar. Cali

Wow neat sky so expressive. Again show two side to a building whose division does not run dead center. Show one facade in light and the other is shadow to help convey the "box" effect.

Nahant
06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Johannes, I posted my homework over in the critique thread before I even saw the assignment here in this special thread. Sorry!
Betty

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 01:33 PM
My painting was recently finished for a W/Colour challenge from ref photo supplied by Doug. I feel the following would help improve it
Reflect surrounding colours into building colour
Make the roof lines more melodic
Use gradient plane on the roof
Deepen the shadows on the side of the building.

Thank you Johannes for the wonderful lesson today.

Judy :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/927792-DSCF1612-1.JPG
Fantastic wet on wet effects and foliage handling. Have you ever considered negative painting to create a 3D look? I like the simplification of your building. Look at the line where the grass meets the stone wall. See the parallel "train tracks". Also buildings offer a good opportunity to create light values on their walls. If you change the value of those two walls, one will appear futher back than another. Look for ways to create melodic lines. Look how I modified the top of the wall by breaking the stones. Another way is to put a wild plant on top of the wall with flowers. Violet flowers work great with greens. For some reason they agree very much in the optical nerve. Again we as story tellers should create special effects in our paintings. see modification below.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Johanne;
Thanks so much for your suggestion of this thread so we can upload our previous painting of building and let you know how we would do better after just one class with you.
I learned so much from you and looking at my painting now, there are so many areas that I need to change.

1.) Get rid of the big tree on the left, push it to the back and create a tree mass.
2). Get rid of the tree top on the roof.
3). Create several types of trees in the back(wet-in-wet) including pine trees and put them in different planes.
4). Push the barn back so it will be a little smaller and reposition it so the side is showing more to create 3 D effect.
5). Move the chicken coop from right front to the side of barn, creating a focal area of barn and the coop. May add some other stuffs like Hay bales, couple of chicken, a dog etc. to make the focal area more interesting.
5). Reposition the fence in the front so it leads the eyes into the barn area. Get rid of the fence at the back. Make the windows and doors more entertaining.
6). Leave the no fly zone uncluttered and less details.

Wow! It will be like I am painting a brand new project but it should look more attractive.
Thanks so much, Johanne.

Sandi C.
You did add flavor to the colors of the wood. There are ways you can vary the negative spaces between the fence boards so each space becomes more interesting.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi Johannes,
Great to be back in classes again : )
The edges of the building are too straight - base of building could be broken up with some grasses.
The windows are too dark.
My colours do not seem fresh- not sure what I'm doing wrong there - is it too much Titanium white??.
Paint is not thick enough - a lot of the canvas is showing through in the photo.
Try to avoid flat planes. Think of gradient planes. In fact gradate eveything.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/117343-Side_by_side_small.jpg

Happened to have a 'before/after'. Left one is painted a year ago, and right one very recently, that is, after the landscape classes. I did bring out the demolishing crew and shortened one building to get less of a straight line of the tops on the left, and added those water thingamys to the top right building. Another change I did was to have less other thingamies :) in the windows. (Whats the word for wooden strips between panes of glass?) The 'after' only has flecks of colour giving an impression of small panes.

If I did it again, I'd worry less about straight lines, and I'd find a way to break up the right roof-line, might even put a bird there. I'd also figure out how to avoid the optical illusion all the diagonals create.
This is lovely colorix as usual. Let me share this with you. There is something that is called curvilinear perspective. This is very helpful when depicting tall buildings especially when the idea is that they are close to the viewer. The application of this will help remove the parallel lines of this buildings. If you look at the end of the streen on the left of your painting you will see there is a rectangle between that bulilding and an adjacent one. This forms two paralell lines. You can offset this by using curvilinear perscpective so that last building bends inwardly with a slight subtle roundness in that line. This will correct the rigidness of vertical lines.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/243521-church3crop.jpg

This was done before I discovered the first webinar. Johannes, finally composition and much more is making some sense.
Now I'd paint differently:
1 Move the church slightly more to the left. Remove a few stones on the outline edges.
2 Soften the roof top edges.
3 Better the shadow shape of the arch window.
4 Make melodic line of “train track “ parts under the arch window and small wall on steps.
5 Better shapes of two trees . I have cloned them. Add more background planes and soften edges.
6 Maybe I should have used more hues.

Athena
Yes you don't want to cross the main subject of the painting. You did a great job on the staircase as far as perspective

beart
06-05-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/88528-Hills_barn.jpg If you run across a duplicate of this photo excuse me but I thought I put it on and could not find it. I must have done something wrong.
This painting is of a store barn at Bob Hill's Hidden Garden and he has a lot of plants around the barn. I first did it plein air with ws oils and they seemed to melt in the hot sun. I took a photo and redid it on canvas. I saw the green shingles on the roof but the photo shows none and the color in photo is white. I added some orange on the porch to boost color and added colors in the front to boost color. My point is should I have made it farther back instead of close up and added more llight in the doorway.

engelwood
06-05-2011, 04:06 PM
:wave:Hi, I'm new to this site and took the Essential of Buildings class yesterday and enjoyed it very much!! Can't wait for more classes. I am trying to upload one of my paintings and I'm not sure what I'm doing, so it may not work. I have a problem of being too tight and wish I could learn to loosen up. I feel like I learned lots and hope to use the new found info soon.
Betty E

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/88528-Hills_barn.jpg If you run across a duplicate of this photo excuse me but I thought I put it on and could not find it. I must have done something wrong.
This painting is of a store barn at Bob Hill's Hidden Garden and he has a lot of plants around the barn. I first did it plein air with ws oils and they seemed to melt in the hot sun. I took a photo and redid it on canvas. I saw the green shingles on the roof but the photo shows none and the color in photo is white. I added some orange on the porch to boost color and added colors in the front to boost color. My point is should I have made it farther back instead of close up and added more llight in the doorway.
This is art. It is impressionist without the attempt of making things look real.

elisamaria
06-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Thank you Johannes doing another excellent course. Here I show a pastel I did last summer from my ref photo. As you see I had no "artist´s license" at that time. So many thing could be better after yesterday´s lesson.
Elisabeth
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/735472-P1020600.JPG

HazelP
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
This is one I did before taking any of your classes Johannes. I have been itching to have another go at it but waited for your buildings class.

The church needs placing further into the painting.
I would make it longer and lighten the roof and side with the windows.
Needs more light in the doorway and maybe show some of the pews.
The edges need a lighter value and not straight.
Less stonework showing.

The trees all need changing in shape and lighter in the distance and the mountains I would make lighter and push back into the distance.
I'd make the foreground colours lighter without the reds and oranges.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/915542-Lake-Tekapo,-New-Zealand.jpg

Colorix
06-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you, Johannes! Ah, curvilinear... great tips, I'll dig into that. When straight lines makes things look like they're falling over, then curved lines should make them look straight!

Alta Imp
06-05-2011, 05:20 PM
This is an 8X10 watercolor on watercolor board that I painted it as a rendering of a specific part of the farm where my husband was raised. If I were to do it artistically, I would:
-make a value sketch to plan value masses
-not do a watercolor on watercolor board
-decrease the size of the buildings to be able to show more planes in the background and set them further back into the picture to decrease the sky
-take the tree out of the middle, make it abstract in shape and put it behind corner of building on the right
-decrease the size of the bare branch bush in the front so it doesn't touch the roof and make the shape abstract
-make all straight lines less straight and sag a roof
-loose the defining edges of the far roof lines and edges of the two buildings in the back, darken the tin color on the middle building
-create larger light gaps in back walls where there are dark areas
-decrease the detail in the boards and shingles
-change the color of the sky

Wow I think I learned a lot, so happy to be back in your classes Johannes, they are the best!

RinnyBrown
06-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Hello Johannes! I am a pastel artist who excels in landscapes and people, but I have avoided buildings like the plague. They have never been my forte, but I have a strong desire to learn how to incorporate them into my work after having lived in Paris for a year and a half and soaking up the history, art and architecture.

I enjoyed the first class tremendously! I was thrilled with the amount of information that you shared with us and I am looking forward to the next three weeks. I am embarrassed to say that I have nothing to show as far anything that I have done with buildings. Zero! But I am determined to learn. Thank you! Merci beaucoup! Diana Stover

Amandine
06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
You can submit 1 photo containing a building. I would prefer that you type up what you would do differently after taking today's class. When you submit your work, unless you specify otherwise I may add your submission to the power point presentation to be used as examples in my class.
Thanks
Just learned that we have a homework by going through threads on WC (as I mentioned in another thread, I missed a big part of yesterday's lesson). What's the deadline to submit a photo ? Would Thursday night be o.k. ?

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 06:11 PM
686826This is an 8X10 watercolor on watercolor board that I painted it as a rendering of a specific part of the farm where my husband was raised. If I were to do it artistically, I would:
-make a value sketch to plan value masses
-not do a watercolor on watercolor board
-decrease the size of the buildings to be able to show more planes in the background and set them further back into the picture to decrease the sky
-take the tree out of the middle, make it abstract in shape and put it behind corner of building on the right
-decrease the size of the bare branch bush in the front so it doesn't touch the roof and make the shape abstract
-make all straight lines less straight and sag a roof
-loose the defining edges of the far roof lines and edges of the two buildings in the back, darken the tin color on the middle building
-create larger light gaps in back walls where there are dark areas
-decrease the detail in the boards and shingles
-change the color of the sky

Wow I think I learned a lot, so happy to be back in your classes Johannes, they are the best!
Actually you have a very good reference photo. the problem is that normal barn wood is monochromatic and boring. Imagine of you chnaged that for exciting colors. THis painting above was based on a photo juts like your but the wood was just more gray. Yet pretty much a flat plane with no variegation of color or value. It would be interesting for you to repeat this painting using colors similar to what I have going on.
You have a fantastic photo here because every building is in a different angle. I want to help you free yourself from photo slavery. Think of your photo of buildings as retail store mannequins that you can use for showing clothes. Think of the buildings in your photos as the armature and you are to put your own clothes on it.

thepetlady
06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Not sure if this can be used or not, if not have a barn that I did. This is a bridge that I did about a year ago. Please give me your feedbackhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/759622-IMG_1264.JPG

julm
06-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I could use less stones, and perhaps a more dimensional background. Joanhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/265241-Happy_Farm.jpg

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Not sure if this can be used or not, if not have a barn that I did. This is a bridge that I did about a year ago. Please give me your feedbackhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/759622-IMG_1264.JPG
This will help your understanding of light. As the tunnel goes deeper the wals will get darker but as the tunnel gets closer to the outside light it will get lighter. This would provoke the gradient plane.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I could use less stones, and perhaps a more dimensional background. Joanhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/265241-Happy_Farm.jpg
Nicely done. I tend to make the ground uneven so I don't end up with a straight line where the barn meets the snow. You can create hills or mounds of snow.

IrmaH322
06-05-2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/678892-002_edited-1.jpg
Johannes I painted this about 11 years ago. I used acrylics and grid.
Things to change: sharp edges are everywhere, too much color saturation on the no fly zone, the 2 pots by the wall are lollypops and not necessary. The right side of the wall should be lighter to make it recede,also too many bricks on the wall. On the roof too many shingles, no gradation, need to break the chimney lines.
Garage door on the left too dark. The right side of the roof should be lighter to make it recede. Shrubs on the right side are lollypops. Only 2 planes, no background.
The perspective looks funny because the house is on the side of a hill, the terrain is not flat. Used a grid because I don't know perspective.
If I try again should I eliminate the trees on the left side exposing the house more and adding some blurred trees behind the house or it is not a good photo?
Thank you Johannes for coming back.

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Thank you Johannes doing another excellent course. Here I show a pastel I did last summer from my ref photo. As you see I had no "artist´s license" at that time. So many thing could be better after yesterday´s lesson.
Elisabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/735472-P1020600.JPG
The composition is quite good. We must be careful with reds. Their chroma is very intense and we need to cool them and downplay them.

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/678892-002_edited-1.jpg
Johannes I painted this about 11 years ago. I used acrylics and grid.
Things to change: sharp edges are everywhere, too much color saturation on the no fly zone, the 2 pots by the wall are lollypops and not necessary. The right side of the wall should be lighter to make it recede,also too many bricks on the wall. On the roof too many shingles, no gradation, need to break the chimney lines.
Garage door on the left too dark. The right side of the roof should be lighter to make it recede. Shrubs on the right side are lollypops. Only 2 planes, no background.
The perspective looks funny because the house is on the side of a hill, the terrain is not flat. Used a grid because I don't know perspective.
If I try again should I eliminate the trees on the left side exposing the house more and adding some blurred trees behind the house or it is not a good photo?
Thank you Johannes for coming back.

The trees at the left don't bother me. What I see when I go into the painting is that I hit a brick wall. If you open an arch door in there and let me see inside, the painting will be more inviting. The idea is to invite viewers in not just show the building per se.

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 08:36 AM
This is one I did before taking any of your classes Johannes. I have been itching to have another go at it but waited for your buildings class.

The church needs placing further into the painting.
I would make it longer and lighten the roof and side with the windows.
Needs more light in the doorway and maybe show some of the pews.
The edges need a lighter value and not straight.
Less stonework showing.

The trees all need changing in shape and lighter in the distance and the mountains I would make lighter and push back into the distance.
I'd make the foreground colours lighter without the reds and oranges.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2011/915542-Lake-Tekapo,-New-Zealand.jpg
Correct and show one side of the building in light and the other side in shadow. This would show the "box" effect.

Deb Leger
06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi Joe,

No matter how many classes I take from you, I always pick up new things in each one. Saturday's was no exception. You always provide me with lots of inspiration.

I'm attaching a painting I did a while back of a church here in town. (I don't think it really qualifies as a building painting as per your class but I'm attaching it for participation points!) I'm also attaching the reference shot I took for it. I wanted to change the colours so I worked from a grayscale of the reference shot and created my own colours for it.

After listening to your lecture the other day, the things I'd change are:
1. I'd shoot and paint the building from a 3/4 vantage point, pulled back more than from this one.
2. I'm make the trees in the background softer and lighter - though some are lighter and do recede but they definitely need softer edges.
3. I wouldn't have painted so many bricks.
4. There's a lot of straight lines - I would have tried to break them up somehow.
5. I'll get my butt in gear and paint more landscapes with buildings!

The colours are a bit wild in this but at that time, I wanted that effect, as well as the unfinished look in the upper left corner. :D

You showed a painting of Mount Carmel on Saturday and I was tickled pink to know that I have it! :clap: And love it! :clap:

Sheesh, Wet Canvas makes these images so darned large now - it's making the painting look fuzzy but it's not!

Thanks for any critiques you may give...

Deb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/11775-DSCF4724resized.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/11775-refshotresized.jpg

elisamaria
06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
The composition is quite good. We must be careful with reds. Their chroma is very intense and we need to cool them and downplay them.

Thank you Johannes. :) To cool and downplay, should I have used some green or some other color? The original painting is lighter in value what you see here.
Elisabeth

Carol(SA)
06-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Thank you again for a wonderful class. You are a truly gifted teacher and I am beginning to hear your messages in my head when out painting, which is great. Today, I dramatically changed a painting that I did after your three month course. I could not get the 3/4 view without going into the sea but I did try to get some of the front wall, but probably not enough. I added mountains to try to break away from the angle of the roof and added more trees. The roof still has me stumped though, and where the distant trees join the roof.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/123470-0070_Baileys_Cottage_resized.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/123470-Bailies_Cottage_revamped1.jpg

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Thank you again for a wonderful class. You are a truly gifted teacher and I am beginning to hear your messages in my head when out painting, which is great. Today, I dramatically changed a painting that I did after your three month course. I could not get the 3/4 view without going into the sea but I did try to get some of the front wall, but probably not enough. I added mountains to try to break away from the angle of the roof and added more trees. The roof still has me stumped though, and where the distant trees join the roof.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/123470-Bailies_Cottage_revamped1.jpg
The stone work was stopped just in time. This is a good example of only having to indicate a few stones. I would create exciting negative spaces between the boards though.
Negative shapes while creating overlapping depth is verypleasing. Make sure every space is different. As soon as you clone a shape thatarea will be ruined.
I bet you love the edited version. Am I right?

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi Joe,

No matter how many classes I take from you, I always pick up new things in each one. Saturday's was no exception. You always provide me with lots of inspiration.

I'm attaching a painting I did a while back of a church here in town. (I don't think it really qualifies as a building painting as per your class but I'm attaching it for participation points!) I'm also attaching the reference shot I took for it. I wanted to change the colours so I worked from a grayscale of the reference shot and created my own colours for it.

After listening to your lecture the other day, the things I'd change are:
1. I'd shoot and paint the building from a 3/4 vantage point, pulled back more than from this one.
2. I'm make the trees in the background softer and lighter - though some are lighter and do recede but they definitely need softer edges.
3. I wouldn't have painted so many bricks.
4. There's a lot of straight lines - I would have tried to break them up somehow.
5. I'll get my butt in gear and paint more landscapes with buildings!

The colours are a bit wild in this but at that time, I wanted that effect, as well as the unfinished look in the upper left corner. :D

You showed a painting of Mount Carmel on Saturday and I was tickled pink to know that I have it! :clap: And love it! :clap:

Sheesh, Wet Canvas makes these images so darned large now - it's making the painting look fuzzy but it's not!

Thanks for any critiques you may give...

Deb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/11775-DSCF4724resized.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/11775-refshotresized.jpg
If you apply the principles of curvilinear perspective and lean the wall a bit forward (remember this is alos a vanishing point above), you will offset the parallel line with he frame. I'm delighted to see you changed the photo and added your own ideas and only used the building in photo reference as a mannequin that your dressed with another set of clothes.
The system uses curving perspective lines instead of straight converging ones to approximate the image on the retina of the eye, which is itself spherical, more accurately than the traditional linear perspective, which uses straight lines and gets very strangely distorted at the edges.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvilinear_perspective

Carol(SA)
06-06-2011, 11:19 AM
The stone work was stopped just in time. This is a good example of only having to indicate a few stones. I would create exciting negative spaces between the boards though.
Negative shapes while creating overlapping depth is verypleasing. Make sure every space is different. As soon as you clone a shape thatarea will be ruined.
I bet you love the edited version. Am I right?
Wow, yes, very cool, thank you I will take it back to the easel, but please, how far can one take "art" when you are painting historical buildings?

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Thank you Johannes. :) To cool and downplay, should I have used some green or some other color? The original painting is lighter in value what you see here.
Elisabeth
there are two ways to cool a color in oils or acrylics either you add white and/or or the compliment, but in the case of adding green to red it make it shift towards brown, so it will better to use purple so the red stays closer to the red hue and will shift just a bit to red violet.

painterted
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Well here is my stab at the homework Johannes. I use your landscape pallet, makes painting a whole lot easier.

Things I don't like or goofed at are;

fir trees to centered.
overworked roof and foreground.
not sure about the tree in the foreground.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/909312-P6050001_2.jpg

lonelm
06-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Some beautiful buildings happening here and as always great hints and tips. My homework is a painting I did in the late 70's in watercolour and as you see from the reference "slave" to the photo. I apologize for the poor photos but they were from film, stored in a box for a long time and then scanned so not great but gives idea.

I loved the red roofed barns and the lovely sharp shadows when I took the picture so of course I "copied" it. I think I would like to try it again now that I have my "nuggets" in my toolkit.

Original Reference - as Johannes said we have a lot of farm country here in Southern Ontario.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/212898-buildinghomeworkref.jpg

My painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/212898-buildingshomework.jpg

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Well here is my stab at the homework Johannes. I use your landscape pallet, makes painting a whole lot easier.

fir trees to centered.

ted

Looks great but the grass is muddy though. I would glaze over it with quinacridone gold. I think the far roof is off perspective.

99country
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Johannes, I've learned so much from taking your classes that I can know pick apart my own paintings. This painting of the Courthouse was done plein air about 5 years ago. I would change the value, fix the sky holes in the trees, find a lead in and put the Courthouse more to one side, fix the lines on the roof tiles, change the value in the windows and add more color in the sky and on the Courthouse. I'm now ready to start painting a building with what I learned over the weekend. Thanks for all your help and encouragement!!
Carolyn

Colorix
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Some of you may find this explanation of Curvilinear Perspective clear and self-evident:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/117343-Curve_math.JPG

:confused:

:D

What is in this link (http://www.scottmcdaniel.net/drawing/perspective/5_point.html) made sense to me. Link goes to scottmcdaniel.net

mlgk
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/161785-Italy I would do the trees more wet into wet. Lean some of the straight lines such as the posts and the edges of the buildings. Not make the windows so precise. Lower the contrast in the windows in the back buildings although this was in the focal area or darken the ones in the front buildings? The water and gondola need more work

I did not get to see all of the webinar Saturady. How can I download it?

gakinme
06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you, Johanes, for the class.

I usually prefer drawing imaginary scenes like these. Perhaps the buildings top should be darkert still and blend with the dark background which means I should use very dark blue instead of Paynes' Gray.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/86669-cp_wc_cityscape1a.jpg

MrsBeth
06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Thank you. I agree about the subject, was on a plein aire trip with other people and this is where they decided to paint. I tried to make something out of this. I did not realize the top of the silo was indeed that close to the top of the tree line.

I don't think I understand about the reflective light in the shadow areas. Is it possible for you to send me a picture showing what you mean?

By the way, I finished painting this picture in a class with a college art professior as the instructor. I had other issue with her, but now realize she lead me in the wrong direction when I began showing her I might give her a little competetion. Now I have to rethink and relearn some of my former instructions.

I really enjoyed the 1st lesson and can hardly wait for the next. Thank you.

painterted
06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks Johannes, I wasn't thinking of perspective for some reason.

ted

nougat
06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
[email protected]'s formula!!

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Some beautiful buildings happening here and as always great hints and tips. My homework is a painting I did in the late 70's in watercolour and as you see from the reference "slave" to the photo. I apologize for the poor photos but they were from film, stored in a box for a long time and then scanned so not great but gives idea.

I loved the red roofed barns and the lovely sharp shadows when I took the picture so of course I "copied" it. I think I would like to try it again now that I have my "nuggets" in my toolkit.

Original Reference - as Johannes said we have a lot of farm country here in Southern Ontario.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/212898-buildinghomeworkref.jpg

My painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/212898-buildingshomework.jpg
I find a rusted tin roof works better because it has more variation than the average shingle roof. Now when I do shingles roofs I tend to variegate the colors more and gradate values in this roof shapes. Allow for reflected light that will bounce into the shadow side of the silo. This even makes it look more round. I agree with your assessment about gradating the value on the walls. We would also need to do something about the rectangular shape of the grass.

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Wow, yes, very cool, thank you I will take it back to the easel, but please, how far can one take "art" when you are painting historical buildings?
Well real buildings have many more stones and bricks. If we paint these as is what will be condensed to a few mere inches will result into a very mechanical rendering. I believe only an architect should put all that info in but not an artist.

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Just learned that we have a homework by going through threads on WC (as I mentioned in another thread, I missed a big part of yesterday's lesson). What's the deadline to submit a photo ? Would Thursday night be o.k. ?
All this week.

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Elisabeth
Keeping our hues analogous will help avoid the jelly bean effect in your paintings. Instead of an absolute red house you could have painted a brick home which would be closer to the other colors due to the sharing of the same hues which would be yellow. Trees have yellow in them. Several of your other buildings also have yellow in them but once you put red in there that part has no yellow so you are now out of your color harmony spectrum. If you use orange than the yellow hue that appears in surrounding objects will also be present in that mixture resulting into analogous colors. Personally I would have chnaged the color of the red violet house as well.

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I have always felt I need to do something different with this painting and this is the main reason I joined the class.I think alfter today's class I would:
6. add more color to sky

Let's learn something about reflected light.
There are normally three sources of light sunlight, sky light and reflected light
The first two are obvious and most artists apply that light in their paintings but the amount of artists that think in reflected light gets dramatically reduced. The way it works is that since the sun is such a powerful source of light when it hits a nearby object the color of the object will act like a Christmas light bulb and cast that light into any nearby object. Now when we look at your silo we see that it is in front of a white wall. A white wall will definitely reflect a lot of light. In fact the white wall will cast more indirect reflected sunlight than any man made lamps. Look at the shadow side of your silo now in my edited version. The sunlight is bouncing off the green grass and casting that source of light into the darker side of the silo.

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/161785-Italy I would do the trees more wet into wet. Lean some of the straight lines such as the posts and the edges of the buildings. Not make the windows so precise. Lower the contrast in the windows in the back buildings although this was in the focal area or darken the ones in the front buildings? The water and gondola need more work

I did not get to see all of the webinar Saturady. How can I download it?
You could make the wall on the right into a gradient shape and it will be more interesting. I agree the boat should be more obvious.

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:43 AM

fir trees to centered.

ted

The tree in foreground is fine as long as the tree trunk does not give the feeling you are blocking the structure. There is a fine line between blocking a focal point compared to overlapping to create distance. Your falls into the category of overlapping. I tend to overlap thin trees as well when I do buildings. I would avoided the tanget with the corner of the roof though.

Johannes Instructor
06-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Thank you. I agree about the subject, was on a plein aire trip with other people and this is where they decided to paint. I tried to make something out of this. I did not realize the top of the silo was indeed that close to the top of the tree line.

I don't think I understand about the reflective light in the shadow areas. Is it possible for you to send me a picture showing what you mean?

By the way, I finished painting this picture in a class with a college art professior as the instructor. I had other issue with her, but now realize she lead me in the wrong direction when I began showing her I might give her a little competetion. Now I have to rethink and relearn some of my former instructions.

I really enjoyed the 1st lesson and can hardly wait for the next. Thank you.
yes we should not be overly concerned about composition when plein air painting. You want to experience the adrenaline thrust in those cases and paint without thinking.

MrsBeth
06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Thank you so much. I understand reflective light in shadows now. Your editing shows me just how dramatic such a little change can make.

IrmaH322
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Thank you Johannes I see what you mean. I'll apply it next time.

Johannes Instructor
06-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Thank you Johannes I see what you mean. I'll apply it next time.
Wink!

elisamaria
06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Keeping our hues analogous will help avoid the jelly bean effect in your paintings. Instead of an absolute red house you could have painted a brick home which would be closer to the other colors due to the sharing of the same hues which would be yellow. Trees have yellow in them. Several of your other buildings also have yellow in them but once you put red in there that part has no yellow so you are now out of your color harmony spectrum. If you use orange than the yellow hue that appears in surrounding objects will also be present in that mixture resulting into analogous colors. Personally I would have chnaged the color of the red violet house as well.

I am very grateful to your comments and will try to think more of color harmony next time I am painting. Thank you Johannes! Looking very much forward to Saturday again.

oCDs01-711
06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
This is a painting I did about a year ago. It was maybe my second or third painting I had ever done. The photo was a landscape scene in the shade. At this time I didn't really understand that it could be drab if I didn't know how to punch with dapples of light. No wonder I didn't like it! It looks dull to me.

If I were to do it over, I would
--position the egret in motion
--glaze the egret so it wouldn't stand out so white,
--liven up the grasses behind the egret with sunlight,
--have more sunlight in the distance,
--add leaf illusion to the tree trunk in the reflection, and
--have a few spots of sunshine in the water.
Sorry about the glare.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/283401-paintings_010.jpg

Johannes Instructor
06-09-2011, 08:58 AM
This is a painting I did about a year ago. It was maybe my second or third painting I had ever done. The photo was a landscape scene in the shade. At this time I didn't really understand that it could be drab if I didn't know how to punch with dapples of light. No wonder I didn't like it! It looks dull to me.

If I were to do it over, I would
--position the egret in motion
--glaze the egret so it wouldn't stand out so white,
--liven up the grasses behind the egret with sunlight,
--have more sunlight in the distance,
--add leaf illusion to the tree trunk in the reflection, and
--have a few spots of sunshine in the water.
Sorry about the glare.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/283401-paintings_010.jpg
I am not sure if you took the last course with me but there is a concept I addressed that is of utmost importance which is about staying within a higher range of value. I recommended that unless we create a mood such as a twlight scene or to emphasize a stormy day I would not create a shape that surpassses a value 7 (white being value 1). And that the painting should be predominant in its mid value range. The reason your painting is dull is because color does not show up in the values 8 or darker. Even in value 7 we start to lose the color beauty.

Valleygarden
06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Hello Johannes- I am happy to be taking one of your classes! The posted painting is from a reference photo you posted in your previous landscaping class.

After painting it and looking at it for a couple of days, I would probably adjust the background value a bit more, particularly the hill closest to the red building; I would also adjust the windows, making them a bit softer on the background buildings. The other adjustments I would make is to the foreground: I think my rocks, sandy area is a bit disjointed - too many disconnected rock masses, too many small rocks.

Your input will be greatly appreciated!
Sue (aka Valley Garden)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/933712-P6090002.JPG

Darlene Livingston
06-09-2011, 04:34 PM
/Users/darlenelivingston/Desktop/IMG_2207.JPG

pamshowcase
06-09-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/174457-P1030137.JPG Here is a plein air I did about a year ago.....MUCH to learn
I would pay more attention to the shadows, change the windows and (ouch) the foliage. Everyone started somewhere....right?
Thanks for the great classes, Pam
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/174457-P1030249.JPG

Darlene Livingston
06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
/Users/darlenelivingston/Desktop/IMG_2207r.JPG I hope this photo uploaded. I user attached files. This is a sketch I started last summer but didn't finish. After taking your class the sky holes are a problem. The building perspective doesn't go back and over all is flat. Any help is appreciated. Thank You Darlene Livingston

Amandine
06-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Well there I go. :crossfingers: Here is the one and only building I've ever painted. I did it last spring (may 2010). I started with an old photo with a little barn lost in the middle of a field and decided to use a bigger barn from another photo. There was no road on the photo but I wanted one so, I added one, drawing it from my mind.
It's called «La grange du voisin» (The Neighbour's Barn), 12" x 16 ", oil on canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/661062-grange2.jpg

What I would change ? :rolleyes:

lining trees forming a wall,
would open at least one door (would have to search for a photo because don't know how to draw that correctly with good perspective),
would put something in front of the barn to add some life,
isn't the field a little boring ?
and finally, I would have to do something with the road ; don't really like it.

Thank you very much Johannes for looking at it. Your advice mean a lot to me.

dansmom
06-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi Johannes, Your class last Saturday was very helpful. Structure has always been very difficult for me and since the attached painting is the only building that I have successfully completed, I would appreciate some feedback on it. After viewing your class I would make the stucco more uneven on all the edges so the lines are not so straight. It seems that the stucco needs to have more variation in color. I believe that I should take out some areas of texture and also have some softer or lost edges. Thanks much for any input.

jmcedeno
06-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Hello everyone, I have a plead: How do you convert a photo on .BMP to .JPG?
I have a photo of a watercolor I did about 100 years ago
before Johannes era. This painting was sold (I'm ashamed) If I new where the buyer is I would refund him the $200 I got. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in that painting is wrong. Unfortunately the photo is on .BMP. Could anyone Help ?

RainySea
06-09-2011, 10:50 PM
before Johannes era. This painting was sold (I'm ashamed) If I new where the buyer is I would refund him the $200 I got. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in that painting is wrong. Unfortunately the photo is on .BMP. Could anyone Help ?

You could use the photoshop program or even the paint program to open the BMP and save as JPG I think.

Or there are some free online image converters like these which I found when I did a search.

http://www.coolutils.com/online/image-converter/
http://www.pictureresize.org/online-images-converter.html

painterted
06-09-2011, 11:09 PM

Hi Jose I'm the guy that bought the painting, can you send me the money :lol:

ted

Eagle-eye
06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
This is the only building painting I have ever done. It was done after a long dry period during numerous eye surgeries.

After last weeks session I think the buildings are stacked and should have had a deciduous tree top between them maybe. Also, should have had some snow hanging off barn roof and also shown where snow fell off porch and house roof. Maybe only interior light reflected on porch floor and the other windows greyed with indication of curtains. Porch floor I always thought was angled wrong. I am wondering if it should have been narrower where the foot prints are and the foot prints should have come off the front of the porch and gone around. The sky got really dark blue there is a lot of different techniques going on in this one.

I will really appreciate your suggestions and comments. You may feel free to mark it up any which way you want.

Thank you for such clear, concise explanations of what to do. You are saving my interest in painting.

Dee

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Hello Johannes- I am happy to be taking one of your classes! The posted painting is from a reference photo you posted in your previous landscaping class.

After painting it and looking at it for a couple of days, I would probably adjust the background value a bit more, particularly the hill closest to the red building; I would also adjust the windows, making them a bit softer on the background buildings. The other adjustments I would make is to the foreground: I think my rocks, sandy area is a bit disjointed - too many disconnected rock masses, too many small rocks.

Your input will be greatly appreciated!
Sue (aka Valley Garden)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/933712-P6090002.JPG
I feel the terrain is overworked. While it is true we need interest everywhere in our painting we also need rest areas. Flat grass areas usually provide these restful areas. You would not need those gray areas in the terrain.

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 08:22 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/174457-P1030137.JPG Here is a plein air I did about a year ago.....MUCH to learn
I would pay more attention to the shadows, change the windows and (ouch) the foliage. Everyone started somewhere....right?
Thanks for the great classes, Pam
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/174457-P1030249.JPG
I feel you selected the right reference photo because the building does have interesting angles which is what you want. Your perspective is off but that will be solved in my 3rd class of this course. We don't need to be accurate with perspective as long as your major lines are not off enough that it becomes obvious. Also you will see tomorrow how to paint these barns but not be true to all those lines that appears when one board overlaps another.

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 08:25 AM
/Users/darlenelivingston/Desktop/IMG_2207r.JPG I hope this photo uploaded. I user attached files. This is a sketch I started last summer but didn't finish. After taking your class the sky holes are a problem. The building perspective doesn't go back and over all is flat. Any help is appreciated. Thank You Darlene Livingston

I like your simplicity and your shapes are working. Remember this simpleconcept

Create abstract shapes
VARIEGATE colors in those shapes < Your foliage and grass aremonochromatic
Gradate the value in those shapes
Create indentations and protrusions in those shapes
This is handy guideline fromwhich to work from

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Well there I go. :crossfingers: Here is the one and only building I've ever painted. I did it last spring (may 2010). I started with an old photo with a little barn lost in the middle of a field and decided to use a bigger barn from another photo. There was no road on the photo but I wanted one so, I added one, drawing it from my mind.
It's called «La grange du voisin» (The Neighbour's Barn), 12" x 16 ", oil on canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2011/661062-grange2.jpg
What I would change ? :rolleyes:

lining trees forming a wall,
would open at least one door (would have to search for a photo because don't know how to draw that correctly with good perspective),
would put something in front of the barn to add some life,
isn't the field a little boring ?
and finally, I would have to do something with the road ; don't really like it.
Thank you very much Johannes for looking at it. Your advice mean a lot to me.
When I put a barn or shack in a painting I tend to add more to it to tell more of story such as adjacent buildings, maybe a rusted old car, debris such as barrels etc to build my case. I agree with all your other observations.

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Johannes, Your class last Saturday was very helpful. Structure has always been very difficult for me and since the attached painting is the only building that I have successfully completed, I would appreciate some feedback on it. After viewing your class I would make the stucco more uneven on all the edges so the lines are not so straight. It seems that the stucco needs to have more variation in color. I believe that I should take out some areas of texture and also have some softer or lost edges. Thanks much for any input.
The gradient plane is a huge concept. Walls are not generalized into one value especially if they are interior walls. When a wall becomes a corner it will get darker. If you can ever see the children's movie, "The Princess and the Frog" you will get many examples of gradient planes and the play between warm and cool colors. Below is a modified version of your painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/135220-arches1.jpg

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 08:36 AM
This is the only building painting I have ever done. It was done after a long dry period during numerous eye surgeries.

After last weeks session I think the buildings are stacked and should have had a deciduous tree top between them maybe. Also, should have had some snow hanging off barn roof and also shown where snow fell off porch and house roof. Maybe only interior light reflected on porch floor and the other windows greyed with indication of curtains. Porch floor I always thought was angled wrong. I am wondering if it should have been narrower where the foot prints are and the foot prints should have come off the front of the porch and gone around. The sky got really dark blue there is a lot of different techniques going on in this one.

I will really appreciate your suggestions and comments. You may feel free to mark it up any which way you want.

Thank you for such clear, concise explanations of what to do. You are saving my interest in painting.

Dee
Yes you are right. This is an example of the stacking effect I talked about. Either you separate the two buildings or you place something between them or use fog to create the depth.

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you, Johanes, for the class.

I usually prefer drawing imaginary scenes like these. Perhaps the buildings top should be darkert still and blend with the dark background which means I should use very dark blue instead of Paynes' Gray.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/86669-cp_wc_cityscape1a.jpg
Oh yes I did see this and left it out because I needed to think what to say about it and then it left my mind. Well I believe every painting is an expression of oneself so they can never be put down or criticized no matter what style it is or what kind of art it is. Artists should not be bias when it comes to art. I know traditional artists put down modern art and the other way around. It reminds me of the creation-evolution debates. I take a more philosophical approach to this. As long as the artist painted it is important. It is more difficult to give recommendations when it comes to surrealism or abstract art. Many of the composition pointers are reduced. That's why this kind of art is more popular today. The artist does not require all the technique behind it to pull off a good painting. The expression from the artist is the priority not the know-how. nevertheless even modern art, surrealism and expressionism need principles. If shapes are repeated the piece will be boring. If there is no abstract design the painting will fail. If there is no visual movement or lines are too fast or repeated the painting cannot be excused by it just being an expression. Balance is another important component as well as color harmony.The bottom line is did the artist enjoy the process of producing it and did the viewer enjoy seeing it? If that is affirmative the painting met its goal. The idea of my class is to give guidlines so you all can make your paintings MORE beautiful not just beautiful. As long as it was created by a consciousness it is appealing. The only ugly painting is a bare canvas.
Now looking st your painting I see the following hits
1. The abstract sky shape is working
2. The visual thrust of the lines in the buildings are also different which works.
3. The gay sky though does not harmonize. I would change it for a purple.

moscowGgirl
06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I started blocking in this painting last Sunday, after the class, but just realized that I will not be able to work on it before tomorrow class. Not much done, but still would appretiate any feedback.

In the painting I already see pizza slice, leaning wall and the roof of the far building should be not as dark as it is right now.

Johannes, thanks for your time in landscape and current classes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/229616-P1040860_compress_.jpg

here is the reference photo I took on recent trip to Prague

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/229616-P1040572_compressed.JPG

somehow images are a lot darker here then they are indeed

gakinme
06-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank you very much, Johannes, for your comment on my piece. Definitely what I am looking for as feedback. It's very much appreciated.

Valleygarden
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I feel the terrain is overworked. While it is true we need interest everywhere in our painting we also need rest areas. Flat grass areas usually provide these restful areas. You would not need those gray areas in the terrain.

Thank you Johannes for the input. I felt the foreground was too busy but wanted to give the impression of rocks.....I will keep your input in mind for the next painting ( incorporate some rest areas).
Regards,
Sue

BumpaBob
06-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi Johannes:
Time was at a premium this week with grandson's graduation, so I pulled out a pre-WetCanvas painting from last year. Wow, it has all the problems: the fences actually look like railroad tracks! Too many straight lines, too much attempted detail in the background, not using the wet-on-wet for the trees, bad perspective on the buildings, and on and on... This was also a tentative attempt at using pen and ink but before I read Claudia Nice's books. Fortunately, I have a collection of photos of this farm, on the Taconic Parkway in the Hudson Valley, NY. The place is very photogenic so I have lots of views to try. Thanks in advance for your comments. bob.c

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/946754-NYFarm.jpg

Colorix
06-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Do you mean they look fine in your computer, but when you upload them to WC they look darker? I've noticed that too, so I make a duplicate and I lighten it a bit before uploading, by increasing the intensity, and save it with a new name (adding 'wc' to the file-name). Hope this helps.

elisamaria
06-10-2011, 04:16 PM
To day, a lovely day at the East coast of the Gulf of Finland I went out in my rowing boat to our little island outside my summer place and sat on the warm rocks and painted my sister´s cottage 1,5 hours en plein air. This is the result of my pastel painting 30x40 cm.
Looking forward to learn more tomorrow.

Elisabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/735472-P1040493.JPG

firesignart
06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/97017-251711_10150203518223890_156348108889_6872589_5321714_n.jpg acrylic on canvas, 11"x14"
Here is the latest painting with buildings I did. I like it and interested to see your comments on my approach, I invented the foreground a bit-took out a car in the wrong place-so I am not sure if it works but my eye accepts it as truth!
thanks, Nanci

Eagle-eye
06-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Thank you Johannes for looking at my painting and commenting on it. Makes me feel good that I have leaned something and hoping it will stick. I am learning so many things reading through your comments to other artists work.

I am so thankful that I have found you so I can quite floundering around in the woods here by myself.

Looking forward to your class tomorrow you are an expert instructor in NOT leading us astray but telling us like it is suppose to be. Very thankful and grateful for that! :clap:

Dee (aka) Eagle-eye
Missouri, USA

lorigina
06-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi Johannes. I am new to painting and have taken a few of your Landscape classes which I enjoyed immensely. I know I have a long way to go. Fortunately you make the learning of this material understandable and enjoyable. We are truly blessed to have a teacher of your caliber. Here's my painting:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/221617-HW1-Buildings-HouseRSZ.jpg

After last Saturday's class, I see these problems with it:

1. Perspective is off.
2. Trees behind the house are too dark.
3. Trees on the right are too dark.
4. Shapes of trees in background should be softer.
5. Sky edges should be soft.
6. Too much green
7. Green and red trees on right are clones.
8. Eye runs down too fast over road.

Any comments and critiques are appreciated. Thanks.

dansmom
06-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Johannes, Thanks much for your input. Your corrected version of my painting looks so much better. The variation of values makes a world of difference. Your suggestions are very much appreciated. I should have realized that myself, but I guess that's what makes you a great artist and very talented teacher! I look forward to the rest of your classes.

jmcedeno
06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi Jose I'm the guy that bought the painting, can you send me the money :lol:

ted

OH! Ted...Teeeed, of course I do remember you now you were the fellow with the funny hat, dumb of me. I'm glad I found you here in WC, now you have removed the guilty feeling I've been having all these years. Please get a comfortable chair because the check is in the mail but if you prefer the $200 in cash I will send that too next week. BTW, you are not obligated to return the painting, keep it and use it for your cats and dogs to do their thing so they do not mess the carpet. Good news I have a lot of similar paintings for sale at 50% discount, I think you could get few for your collection since you like my work so much. And, may I say thank you for thinking of me.
My regards to your wife, is she still fat?, Oooops.

shbezaire
06-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi Johannes,
Sorry I'm so late with this post. This is a plein air painting that I did on Mormon Way in the Tetons 2 years ago. I would change the placement of the barn so that the roof line doesn't mimic the mountain. Other suggestions are always welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2011/308661-sp0021.jpg

gardenart
06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Johannes,
Taking your suggestions I have added another plane and changed the line of the bank to a more pleasing shape. I think this kicked it up another notch. I hope you agree and if you see anything else I am all ears. Thanks so much, you are an inspiration.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2011/214425-redo_caost_of_Wales.jpg
Sue

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I started blocking in this painting last Sunday, after the class, but just realized that I will not be able to work on it before tomorrow class. Not much done, but still would appretiate any feedback.

In the painting I already see pizza slice, leaning wall and the roof of the far building should be not as dark as it is right now.

Johannes, thanks for your time in landscape and current classes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/229616-P1040860_compress_.jpg

here is the reference photo I took on recent trip to Prague

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/229616-P1040572_compressed.JPG

The leaning wall forward is actually correct. That's because there is a vanishing point at the top sp somewhere those vertical line will meet. What I would do is paint the walls and change to other colors so they won't mirror on opposites sides. For example on one side you can have a yellow orange hue and the ther side an orange hue. Also in my next class you will hear that I will make a recommendation not to stand in the middle of a street to take a photo so you dont have equal sides.

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Johannes:
Time was at a premium this week with grandson's graduation, so I pulled out a pre-WetCanvas painting from last year. Wow, it has all the problems: the fences actually look like railroad tracks! Too many straight lines, too much attempted detail in the background, not using the wet-on-wet for the trees, bad perspective on the buildings, and on and on... This was also a tentative attempt at using pen and ink but before I read Claudia Nice's books. Fortunately, I have a collection of photos of this farm, on the Taconic Parkway in the Hudson Valley, NY. The place is very photogenic so I have lots of views to try. Thanks in advance for your comments. bob.c

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/946754-NYFarm.jpg
The way this barn is displayed makes me go to the right and somewhat traps me in there. That position would work if you pulled it all the way to to left or rotate it 180 degrees. See the facade of buildings like portraits. Have the back of the head near the edge and the face showing inwards allowing the most breathing space to the other edge. The doors, windows, etc. would be the equivalent of the facial parts. In this case we have the feeling that the face is cramped near the edge. Also try not to fit your trees like socks in a drawer. Allow them to go right out of the top by cropping.

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Johannes,
Sorry I'm so late with this post. This is a plein air painting that I did on Mormon Way in the Tetons 2 years ago. I would change the placement of the barn so that the roof line doesn't mimic the mountain. Other suggestions are always welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2011/308661-sp0021.jpg
This is pretty good. I recommend that we don't put a building in a painting and not anchor it with other parts all the way to the frame. Somehow if we follow up with a fence, outhouse or whatever to anchor it the layout will be more appealing. You will see more about this in the next class. Ilike the simplicity of this painting.

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2011, 12:10 PM
To day, a lovely day at the East coast of the Gulf of Finland I went out in my rowing boat to our little island outside my summer place and sat on the warm rocks and painted my sister´s cottage 1,5 hours en plein air. This is the result of my pastel painting 30x40 cm.
Looking forward to learn more tomorrow.

Elisabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/735472-P1040493.JPG
Remember check all your shapes to m ake sure they are abstract. Do you see the blue triangle? trry not to fit your trees like socks in a drawer. Allow them to be cropped suggesting there is more growth beyond the areas of your paintings. See your painting as a window. When we look out we see things being cropped.

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/97017-251711_10150203518223890_156348108889_6872589_5321714_n.jpg acrylic on canvas, 11"x14"
Here is the latest painting with buildings I did. I like it and interested to see your comments on my approach, I invented the foreground a bit-took out a car in the wrong place-so I am not sure if it works but my eye accepts it as truth!
thanks, Nanci
This is a good example of impressionism and loose brushstrokes. Well done. Next class you will see more examples of gradient planes that will add more punch to your walls.

Johannes Instructor
06-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Johannes. I am new to painting and have taken a few of your Landscape classes which I enjoyed immensely. I know I have a long way to go. Fortunately you make the learning of this material understandable and enjoyable. We are truly blessed to have a teacher of your caliber. Here's my painting:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/221617-HW1-Buildings-HouseRSZ.jpg

After last Saturday's class, I see these problems with it:

1. Perspective is off.
2. Trees behind the house are too dark.
3. Trees on the right are too dark.
4. Shapes of trees in background should be softer.
5. Sky edges should be soft.
6. Too much green
7. Green and red trees on right are clones.
8. Eye runs down too fast over road.

Any comments and critiques are appreciated. Thanks.
If we make the windows the exact same color and value of the sky they will look like holes.

lorigina
06-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Johannes, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the windows, but I knew they looked off, somehow. In the original photo the windows were black - I thought changing them to blue would fix the look. Thank you for your input. I am going to change the painting. By the way, it was a wonderful class you gave. There is sooooo much I'm learning, and I am thrilled by it all.

moscowGgirl
06-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Johannas, thanks for your comment on my Prague painting. I should have thought myself about shifting hue from one side to the opposite side. Will do that.

LLeone
06-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Some of you may find this explanation of Curvilinear Perspective clear and self-evident:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/117343-Curve_math.JPG

:confused:

:D

What is in this link (http://www.scottmcdaniel.net/drawing/perspective/5_point.html) made sense to me. Link goes to scottmcdaniel.net

Not sure about the equation :) but the information in the link is very easy to understand- thanks!

elisamaria
06-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Remember check all your shapes to m ake sure they are abstract. Do you see the blue triangle? trry not to fit your trees like socks in a drawer. Allow them to be cropped suggesting there is more growth beyond the areas of your paintings. See your painting as a window. When we look out we see things being cropped.

Thank you Johannes for all what I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN after all your lessons I have been to, which you pointed out. As this was en plain air I focused more of the light as I saw it at this time of the day. Thankful of your good advice in future when I´ll paint this on proper paper in studio.

ecloudy
06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I recognize that this is not a 3/4 view, but it is one that I think tells the story of a busy street in a tourist town. I would simplify by getting rid of the cars. I would keep the people, especially the one sitting in front and the one walking in the door.
I would problably move the posts in the foreground so they lead into the painting. Dispense with most of the side umbrellas and the blur out the background.
I suppose if this picture were being done to resell there, I would need a fuller shot that took in the whole building and listed all the business names.
If it were being painted for someone who had never seen the building, I would cut off the right side business.

The colors in the photo would be adjusted so they were lighter.
Enjoying the class and learning lots. Love Roberts notes also!
Ellen

Sallyabc
06-13-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2011/599812-Acrylic_Old_house-_Christine.jpg
I would change the prospective. I used to dark on the house also in the sky. Trees at the back would be larger. I like the snow. Selma

jeanetteg
06-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I wil post my homework picture as soon as I figure out how to do it. It takes this granny a while to figure this out. I'm working on it so hopefully by the end of the week I will be sucessful. If all fails I will call on my grandson.

Johannes Instructor
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2011/599812-Acrylic_Old_house-_Christine.jpg
I would change the prospective. I used to dark on the house also in the sky. Trees at the back would be larger. I like the snow. Selma
I would make the snow on the roof more pillowy to offset the straight line.

Johannes Instructor
06-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I recognize that this is not a 3/4 view, but it is one that I think tells the story of a busy street in a tourist town. I would simplify by getting rid of the cars. I would keep the people, especially the one sitting in front and the one walking in the door.
I would problably move the posts in the foreground so they lead into the painting. Dispense with most of the side umbrellas and the blur out the background.
I suppose if this picture were being done to resell there, I would need a fuller shot that took in the whole building and listed all the business names.
If it were being painted for someone who had never seen the building, I would cut off the right side business.

The colors in the photo would be adjusted so they were lighter.
Enjoying the class and learning lots. Love Roberts notes also!
Ellen
With all the action going on you don't need a 3/4 this time.

shbezaire
06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Johannes,
Thanks for the feedback on the Tetons painting. I look forward to seeing how I can anchor it more effectively this week!

If it's OK with you, I would like to re-visit a plein air painting I did of the little Nuestra Señora del Carmen in Playa del Carmen. I was standing in the midst of the taxi cab pick up spot (the best view of the church) and got way too much feedback to give the painting the attention it needed.

Things that I see need correcting:
The sea needs to drop down at least an inch
The whole painting needs to back a bit in the distance to provide a foreground
The trees are too big and not only are distracting but the exact same height.
I need more reflected light on the structure and more variation to the lights and darks.
I also need to re-check the architecture.Thanks, Susi
www.SusiHAvensBezaire.com

Here's the painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2011/308661-IMG_0096.JPG

Alta Imp
06-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi Johannes - Thanks so much for posting your reference picture, kept looking at it and wondering if I should have tried a winter scene. Took your suggestion though and gave the chop house painting another try in oil on canvas this time with a few variations and some different colors. Ref post #50
Barb

Johannes Instructor
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi Johannes - Thanks so much for posting your reference picture, kept looking at it and wondering if I should have tried a winter scene. Took your suggestion though and gave the chop house painting another try in oil on canvas this time with a few variations and some different colors. Ref post #50
Barb
Already that is much better. You can still enhance the barn wood with more colors.

Johannes Instructor
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Johannes,
Thanks for the feedback on the Tetons painting. I look forward to seeing how I can anchor it more effectively this week!

If it's OK with you, I would like to re-visit a plein air painting I did of the little Nuestra Señora del Carmen in Playa del Carmen. I was standing in the midst of the taxi cab pick up spot (the best view of the church) and got way too much feedback to give the painting the attention it needed.

Things that I see need correcting:

The sea needs to drop down at least an inch
The whole painting needs to back a bit in the distance to provide a foreground
The trees are too big and not only are distracting but the exact same height.
I need more reflected light on the structure and more variation to the lights and darks.
I also need to re-check the architecture.Thanks, Susi
www.SusiHAvensBezaire.com (http://www.SusiHAvensBezaire.com)

Here's the painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2011/308661-IMG_0096.JPG
Can you get some greens into the blue shadows for harmony?

Artamorada
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
The Moorings cottage, Islamorada, Florida, USA
Lighten up the whole scene, with early morning sun shining on longer axis of cottage
Angle it about ¾, creating windows on the darker side as needed
Some shading of walls by the porch roof, but there is reflected light from the front yard sand
Make front yard of sand, with a winding path through it, S-shaped, from left to right
Is that a TREE growing out of the front steps?
Kill it…..pardon me, please remove it and plant it carefully somewhere else where it is needed.
Remove center “papa” tree over to “clump” with the mama and twins twigs, still straight so as not to compete with the graceful sway of the mama, and the rebellious kink of one of the twins
Keep the deliciously diagonal tree on the right, maybe making it a palm tree with fronds overhanging the roof line
Too many straight lines, too many squares, slow down the eye and…create melodic lines with:
-Palm fronds overhanging top of roof, keep the line of leaves on the left
-Hanging baskets intersecting the porch columns and railings
-Bushes in front of porch floor, with just a hint of lattice showing through
-Slightly bowed French doors with not each mullion identified.
-Mounding of sand in front of bushes in front of porch for improved melodic line
See through some panes to lights inside to invite the viewer in…some kind of surprising view
Gradient planes of walls with warm wall and streaks of violet
Watch the cloning of similar shapes
Create shadows of trees fall across the house……….YUMMMM nice negative spaces
Tree gaps to see the sky through, diffuse edges in the distance, hard edges front of bushes, several planes of trees into background Dailey Grainger, Islamorada Reflections

LLeone
06-20-2011, 05:03 PM
This is last week's homework being submitted late :o

-crop the grass (perhaps the sky as well, although, I like the branches)
-remove much of the 'junk' in front of the barn - ladder, white bits
-put a window in the interior to show depth
-move the wheelbarrow in front of the barn
-make the roof lines 'sag'
-red door is focal point, so blur edges
- paint only a 'hint' of the boards
-reflect the colours within the shadows

Johannes Instructor
06-22-2011, 06:38 PM
The Moorings cottage, Islamorada, Florida, USA
Lighten up the whole scene, with early morning sun shining on longer axis of cottage
Angle it about ¾, creating windows on the darker side as needed
Some shading of walls by the porch roof, but there is reflected light from the front yard sand
Make front yard of sand, with a winding path through it, S-shaped, from left to right
Is that a TREE growing out of the front steps?
Kill it…..pardon me, please remove it and plant it carefully somewhere else where it is needed.
Remove center “papa” tree over to “clump” with the mama and twins twigs, still straight so as not to compete with the graceful sway of the mama, and the rebellious kink of one of the twins
Keep the deliciously diagonal tree on the right, maybe making it a palm tree with fronds overhanging the roof line
Too many straight lines, too many squares, slow down the eye and…create melodic lines with:
-Palm fronds overhanging top of roof, keep the line of leaves on the left
-Hanging baskets intersecting the porch columns and railings
-Bushes in front of porch floor, with just a hint of lattice showing through
-Slightly bowed French doors with not each mullion identified.
-Mounding of sand in front of bushes in front of porch for improved melodic line
See through some panes to lights inside to invite the viewer in…some kind of surprising view
Gradient planes of walls with warm wall and streaks of violet
Watch the cloning of similar shapes
Create shadows of trees fall across the house……….YUMMMM nice negative spaces
Tree gaps to see the sky through, diffuse edges in the distance, hard edges front of bushes, several planes of trees into background Dailey Grainger, Islamorada Reflections
Sometimes zooming in to just show a window and what is seen thru it makes a good painting. I feel your photo is too much like a box.

totsy
06-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Johannes,

Something wrong with the UpLoader...not working for me.

Linnette

Johannes Instructor
06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
This is last week's homework being submitted late :o

-crop the grass (perhaps the sky as well, although, I like the branches)
-remove much of the 'junk' in front of the barn - ladder, white bits
-put a window in the interior to show depth
-move the wheelbarrow in front of the barn
-make the roof lines 'sag'
-red door is focal point, so blur edges
- paint only a 'hint' of the boards
-reflect the colours within the shadows
This is a good ref photo to show things that belong to a scene like this such as the ladder. I try to avoid the clean cut box barn subjects unless I add things outside of it to tell a story.

totsy
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2011/158729-0381.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2011/158729-0351.JPG

Took photo of this barn through fence. Went down on my knees in my Sunday-best and tried to take the best photo. Looks darker here. And I see now that if I had stood out in the street I could have gotten a more 3-D effect. Tried to use GIMP to combine both, but have'nt got the hang of it yet. CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO COMBINE TWO PHOTOS IN GIMP?

1. I'd Omit the foreground of the barn.
2. I'd omit the ladder because there would be too much going on?
3. Or have the ladder leaning against the second shed and leave the wooden thing out (is this called a wooden horse?). I like the wooden thing though because it lends character to the shed. I've a pic of it in its entirety. And I've also got a close up of the barn and also one with more sky. And though this pic is dark I've got a couple with more light.
4. Omit the grill in the door of the barn, and omit the open door in the rear to eliminate confusion.

I really like the old wheel on the left in the second pic and thought I could use the foreground as Lead-in. Keeping the stones and even the little orange-color flower and omitting the trees. The entrance to the house in this pic is rather shortened because the barn was across the street which was fenced and the road in the middle is rather busy. So I would extend the path leading to the barn. Not sure how. I'd appreciate your direction with this. Thanks.

Linnette

Johannes Instructor
06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2011/158729-0381.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2011/158729-0351.JPG

Took photo of this barn through fence. Went down on my knees in my Sunday-best and tried to take the best photo. Looks darker here. And I see now that if I had stood out in the street I could have gotten a more 3-D effect. Tried to use GIMP to combine both, but have'nt got the hang of it yet. CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO COMBINE TWO PHOTOS IN GIMP?

1. I'd Omit the foreground of the barn.
2. I'd omit the ladder because there would be too much going on?
3. Or have the ladder leaning against the second shed and leave the wooden thing out (is this called a wooden horse?). I like the wooden thing though because it lends character to the shed. I've a pic of it in its entirety. And I've also got a close up of the barn and also one with more sky. And though this pic is dark I've got a couple with more light.
4. Omit the grill in the door of the barn, and omit the open door in the rear to eliminate confusion.

I really like the old wheel on the left in the second pic and thought I could use the foreground as Lead-in. Keeping the stones and even the little orange-color flower and omitting the trees. The entrance to the house in this pic is rather shortened because the barn was across the street which was fenced and the road in the middle is rather busy. So I would extend the path leading to the barn. Not sure how. I'd appreciate your direction with this. Thanks.

Linnette
Talking about the second picture, if you take that tree in front out of the way and lean the cart wheel so you end up with an elipse rather than a semi circle all the better. How about placing some wild flowers in front of the cart wheel to offset the monotony? Also remove the highway. Start at the gravel driveway. You do have a very good foreground here. You can take the barn and insert it in the second picture.

totsy
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks Johannes.