PDA

View Full Version : Owl

barwench
06-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone. I was hoping to reach out to all you very talented painters, and gain a little bit of insight/advice on this painting I've been working on. What started out as an experiment in painting, just for fun, has turned into something I actually sort of like.

I haven't painted with acrylics since high school art classes, and have never been much of a painter period. But recently I've gotten the bug to paint, and thought I'd give them another shot.

Here's where I'm at so far. I can't get a good image that shows all the variations of color, and this image in particular shows just a bit darker than the original. I have some fine tuning to do yet, but what bothers me at the moment is the background. I just don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, on that and the rest of the painting as well.

Thank you so much.

OkeeKat
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I really like this, the background is great.. It gives it a kinda mystical look.
its so hard to go back and change the background then you get a halo effect around your subject trying to get up to the edge, then you have to go back over the subject again.
He really is done very well, I love the pose of this guy with the legs and claws out, and fierce eyes.... ready to grab dinner!!

My only suggestion would be to make your darks much darker and brighter highlights and possibly more details in the larger feathers.
but it does draw you right to his face though so its just a personal choice on how much details you want to get.
I Do Love it as it is!!
Hope to see more of your acrylic paintings soon!!

ladypainter
06-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I have no suggestions .Just want to say I really love this piece. This owl is really cute and has a really nice style and he could easily be a picture in a story book. Lovely work.

Faded
06-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Beautiful work. I agree, it looks like something for a story book :)
-David

arl
06-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Wonderful composition.

chammi kaiser
06-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Certainly a charming story-book owl. Good advice from Kathie. Keep posting.

Chia
06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh this is fun! I like it a lot. I wouldn't touch the background. I really like the soft transition of colour & it complements the owl beautifully. The owl has lots of character and I like his warm colours. The only thing I would do is to lighten the colour of his beak and talons and work a little more on the eyes to round them out further. He does feel like a "Harry potter" sort of creature - maybe a statue come to life? Really nice work & I can't believe that "you've never been much of a painter" - this shows that you've got heaps of talent!

barwench
06-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you everyone for your input, I really do appreciate it. I've set this one aside for a bit, and have tried to not look at it in hopes of seeing it in a new light once I do. Hopefully the "something" I've been looking for will pop out at me then.

Chia - I believe you're right, the talons have bothered me all along, but I haven't quite been able to place why. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.