PDA

View Full Version : Using flame to manipulate pours

ArtWench
06-03-2011, 02:43 AM
I've recently been playing with the Liquitex pouring medium and did a search on YouTube to see what techniques have been employed. I found a fascinating video in which the artist used flame to manipulate the acrylics in a pour and decided to play with the technique myself. What fun! Only problem is that it produced a dreadful smell reminiscent of plastic burning, which I fear is probably toxic. Does anyone know anything about this?

idylbrush
06-03-2011, 05:32 AM
My thought would be that a call to one of the major paint makers might be in order. They have artists that work with them, but, more importantly they have a scientific research staff.

My immediate thoughts if it smells toxic, chances are pretty good that it might be.

ArtWench
06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks! Will do!

ohjanet
06-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Could you post a link to the video or let me know what search terms you did to find it? I've been playing around with the Liquitex pouring medium too, and I'd love to see it in use. Thanks! Janet

ArtWench
02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Could you post a link to the video or let me know what search terms you did to find it? I've been playing around with the Liquitex pouring medium too, and I'd love to see it in use. Thanks! Janet

I'm sorry, Janet! Last year things fell apart after my father-in-law died and life just got too tumultuous!

I did go back and try to find the link; however, for some dumb reason, I forgot to bookmark it. And I never did get a reply from Liquitex regarding the toxicity...