PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to return to printmaking! Yippee!

timelady
03-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Well, my old mentor and an artist in my building have both encouraged me to go back to the press a bit. Just came about in conversation really - expanding ideas, working differently, having things to sell in the different economy. (for those who don't know I gave up printmaking completely about a year ago)

So here's the idea: Jo (the artist in my building) gave me some of her old aluminium and copper plates. On the backs I'm going to drypoint some structures in, just small. Then ink that up, wipe, then do some paintings of colour on the whole plate monoprint style. Then through the press. I'm hoping it'll be an interesting way to combine a solid etched portion of image with more free style brushstrokes to explore colour. (and of course no acids required for drypoint, whew)

Looking forward to it...
Tina.

dragoni689
03-08-2003, 01:30 PM
tina;

sounds real interesting.. you're getting back into it, and i'm just starting to explore it....
i considered drypoint; it was a reasonable option for me because i dont need acids for it (as you said), and im thinking one of my next print's will be an attempt at drypoint....

your process sounds interesting. let me know how it turns out??

Gisela
03-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear it Tina!
I'm looking forward to seeing the new stuff -- we'll be seeing some here, right? :)

You're so right about the changing economy. My income has been mostly murals the last 1 1/2 years and I also need to get a fcous on some less expensive things to offer at shows. People are too nervous these days to be spending a lot on 'luxuries'. :(

Gisela

timelady
03-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Of course I'll let you know what happens. :) Jo found a really big piece of aluminum today and gave it to me and I asked her to let me know when the press is free. We're all getting ready for the Affordable Art Fair right now so the 3 printmakers are constantly using the press really (which belongs to Jo). So maybe the week after next. :)

Dragon - if you're going to do drypoint I have two suggestions. First, get a needle and a burnisher. Burnishers are marvelous things! Second, use copper or aluminum, preferably aluminum because it's the softest. Drypoint can be very hard on your hand so soft metal is a must. Don't even attempt zinc, trust me! ;) And the really cool thing is that you can do a drypoint, do a small print run (since aluminum is softer it's flatten quicker), then burnish the whole thing and start over on the same sheet!!!! Did I mention how much I like aluminum? Heehee.

I tend to do monoprints, maybe ten tops from one plate, so I dont' know how large a print run you could actually get out of alum.

Tina.

sassybird
03-11-2003, 09:12 PM
I am so happy to hear this, Tina. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The process you describe sounds very interesting. I've done intaglio over hand painted paper, but never combined the two on one plate.

I'm glad you friend had some old plates. I use the backs of mine all the time. As expensive as they are there is no use wasting the backs :)