PDA

View Full Version : The Greeting comments appreciated

equinespirit
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Sorry the reference pic seems to have come up first :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2011/972722-DSC_0254.jpgHi all,
Ive recently started drawing using graphite and also started experimenting a little with charcoal.

Would love to hear any thoughts/ comments both good and bad please.

Im struggling a little to format the contrast/lighting on photoshop to suit the net, cant understand why as they are printing out spot on :confused:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2011/972722-0014_HDR2.jpg

equinespirit
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Is it so bad that nobody wants to comment? :crying: :crying:

Artybo
06-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Not bad at all ... its wonderful!

equinespirit
06-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you Bonnie you are very kind :heart:

I had a couple of good comments in the critique center and am in the process of adding more contrast to bring it out more but thought it would be worth posting here in case the animal bods had anything to add.

Will post up again if anybody is interested when Ive finished reshading :confused:

mooz49
06-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Hi Sarah ...... :wave: ..... what a gorgeous ref picture! Are they your horses?
Your drawing is excellent and I would love to see an update! :crossfingers:
I have been trying to paint horses myself recently ....well more like part of the horses head .....maybe I should start a thread here in this forum and see if I can get any advice .... :D :crossfingers:

KD Art
06-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Hi Sarah. Everyone is probably busy at the mo - I very much doubt the lack of replies is anything to do with your lovely work. I don't work in graphite but as you say, the contrast of tonal values needs to be more marked - it would make a much stronger image. One or two little things I noticed straight away (though no expert on horses by any means!) - the shoulder of the gray disappears into nothing - I think you may have to extend it a little. The negative space under the chin of the horse far left in the ref shows that you have painted its neck too broad towards the top. I am sure you can easily change this. The last thing is dealing with the way in which the mane meets the dark background on the horses in the stables. The hair looks a little dense and 'chunky' and perhaps you could 'lift out' some hairs with an eraser to make the hair a little longer and more whispy. Hope some graphite / charcoal artists come along to help you where I fail. But as Anne said, the ref is beautiful and as you are only just beginning with this medium, you've done a super job. Kat

equinespirit
06-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the kind comments Mooz :D

Yes do start a thread, I would like to see it :cat: :D

Thanks very much for the critique Cat, thats really helpful :)

I will make the suggested alterations and post up when its done, although I would have started completely differently if I had known then what I learnt from one of the great graphite artists on the drawing board, :o so not sure how much I can change now.

The pones arent mine they belong to a friend but I really liked the composition of the pic.

This is one of my horses, hes an 8yr old Spanish dressage stallion and he is my world :heart: Im planning on drawing this photo when I get round to it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2011/972722-nrf20100417_D3H8632.jpg

mooz49
06-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Sarah ..... your Spanish dressage stallion is gorgeous! :thumbsup:

equinespirit
06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Thank you Mooz :D

chammi kaiser
06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
The drawing is great and once the tones are punched up, it will be a super work. Looking forward to seeing the final.

equinespirit
06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Thank you Chammi :)

Ive altered the neck of the one on the left and also the grey and darkened the darks, also altered the mane a little.
Im still not that happy with it but its probably the best I can do with how I started it :rolleyes:

Any comments good or bad most welcome :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2011/972722-0028_HDR2.jpg

Lexycat
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Sometimes pieces slip down the page before people really get a chance to comment on them, I know I glance at WC in work, but dont have time to log in and comment then.

This is coming along very nicely, lovely ref photo, but not easy in any way, especially with a new medium. I would darken the muscle tones on the necks of the two brown ponies and the grey under his mane which will give more definition and make the piece pop more, and also the area around the ear of the inner pony which will then contrast with the lights in the other ones mane.

Your own horse is certainly a beautiful model:)

Shana1065
06-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Lovely work! I agree with Lexy about the muscle tones on the neck. That will help give more definition.

mooz49
06-15-2011, 04:43 AM
It is beautiful piece Sarah ..... I love the intimacy of the pose ..... :thumbsup:

equinespirit
06-15-2011, 05:36 AM

And good comments lexycat, sometimes I think I go semi blind when I look at my own work :rolleyes:

The mane on the grey is dreadful too, I have altered it some and will post up later.

PatrickHedges
06-15-2011, 08:10 AM
A very nice drawing. My screen shows things as a bit light anyway but your work is showing as really overexposed. I'll bet there's a lot more delicious detail in that I'm not even getting to see.

Lisa M
06-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi Sarah--I love your drawing. I totally missed it until now--but I'm glad I saw it! What a great image. The expression, especially the focused eye, on the left pony is really good. The gray's eye might be a bit low--you can see its relation to the upward curve of the cheekbone in the ref. It's maybe not that noticeable. You have reached a lot here that is difficult to achieve with horses. They're never easy, but you've done great.

Your stallion is gorgeous, by the way! He looks like something to handle--I bet he's fun to ride.

Thanks for sharing both!

equinespirit
06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Thank you for such lovely comments :wave:

Ive made the suggested adjustments, thanks very much for those :clap:

I think its definitely improved for it, especially the greys neck :rolleyes:

And Lisa, yes well spotted, you are absolutely right! Ive started checking at the sketch stage using a grid now so hopefully wont make any more silly errors like that :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2011/972722-0031_HDR2.jpg

mooz49
06-17-2011, 07:28 AM
This just keeps getting better Sarah ..... :thumbsup:

equinespirit
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Anne :grouphug:

I find it SO helpful to get the great advice on here :)