PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo-June 2011

trafford
06-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Well folks...it's summer already. We had one beautiful day of spring and then on to humidity. I seem to remember a longer stretch for the season, but then I was young.

My knees have been bothering me (arthritis) so when I stand up I let out a little scream, but the fingers are OK, so I can still do ART. Want to try some things that I have a hard time drawing....landscapes, men, animals and foreshortening. Should keep me busy this summer.

What kind of plans do you all have? :heart: :heart:

artbyjune
06-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi Janet. Sorry about the arthritis. I have recently started to get it in my hands. So I have started taking cod liver oil capsules as its supposed to help. I hope it goes away without my having to visit the doctor.

Apaprt from that, I am continuing with acrylic studies, trying to progress with the whimsical artwork, which seems popular as it is selling.

I'd like to do more in the way of oil painting, but its such a rigmarole of setting up and waiting for it to dry and cleaning up. I think maybe I am lazy really!!

Well, off to see whats going on around the site.

Hello to everyone for this month!! We are having really good weather here.... I am happy to say! What? Good weather in the UK? :D

trafford
06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi, June. Love your avatar.

I'd like to do more oils...but then that means more money for supplies, and the way things are going I'll soon be reduced to old watercolor tins.

The water miserable oils are OK to paint with, but the clean up feels sticky and hard to get off your hands....like YUK!

I still love crayons...hang up from childhood, I guess. Paper doll books and the biggest box of crayolas kept me happy.

I'm glad you are getting nice weather and hope we get a little more before the summer and the heat set in.

Hi to Toby....janet:heart:

azulparsnip
06-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi ho ya'll - Well, we made it back from Germany and Paris. It was a lifetime experience, feel very rested. I gained an appreciation for different cultures.
Germany was beautiful - very clean. I loved the bakeries everywhere!!
Oh my they smoke alot there. There was even a cigarette machine on a residentil neighborhood corner in the country! (shucks- I didn't have camera)

Paris is one lovely city. I am pretty much a country mouse but Paris is sooo full of art it is overwhelming. The Louvre is amazing. The building itself is magnificent, beyond words. The Mona Lisa.....well, I was hoping for more..I mean when I've seen the actual impressionists works they shine and awe way more than the book repros........but the Mona is just face value......I was dissapointed. And it is so small compared to the gargantan paintings there. I hate to say this but I think the Mona is alot of media hype.........

I do have some sketches I'll post soon on my blog and a few here but for now I gotta scoot........

It's good to be back......:heart:

June - your whimsical paintings are wonderful. I love looking at them . I'm so glad for folk and you they are getting out there

Janet - your avatar keeps changing, better and better. Your sense of balance when it comes to black and white is great. Your quirky humor is there too. I love how it seeps thru.

I'd been working on landscape painting before the trip and I must say - It is hard.
I'm not really sure how to approach the myrads of things I want to study. I'll start with one - silk screen. there.

azulparsnip
06-08-2011, 10:37 PM
here are a few of the sketches I got. One in the Charlotte North Carolina airport and two of Bedesbach, Germany. A tiny village in south west Germany. Pen and ink ofcourse. Also found out that in is very troublesome drawing with ink outofdoors as the ink drys terribly fast and coats the nib...pity as I do so love it.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2011/88676-airportto178_copy.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2011/88676-bedesbach177_copy.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2011/88676-bedesbachorange179_copy.jpg

trafford
06-10-2011, 05:34 AM
Welcome back, Robin. Your landscapes are getting better and better. You have a very distinctive style, and I love the splash of color in the background.

Mona Lisa was on the the school list of famous paintings, and I always thought the choices were pretty boring and not the artists chosen best work. The same for Music Appreciation.

What I loved most about Paris...was that every corner you turned there was some art. A beautiful city.

Post more landscapes....and I spotted you at the airport....janet :heart:

artbyjune
06-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Hi Robin. Welcome back. I think your ink drawings are wonderful. Full of personality! You should think of doing a collection of them in bookform...maybe an e-book.

azulparsnip
06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
oh, my June...not another project.....:eek:

azulparsnip
06-12-2011, 05:56 PM
well, I've finished my chores and I can't figure any other way to waste time on the computer so I must do some art............funny how I love it but put it off...anybody else that way???

ryster007
06-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Paris is one of my favourites! Mona Lisa is a wee bit disappointing I have to admit. The fact its so small and you can't get anywhere near it doesn't help. Did you go to the Musee D'Orsay? That's the best gallery I've ever seen- beautiful.

Where did you go in Germany- I've been many times and loved every visit?

Love those landscapes Robin, these are really nice line work, keep it up:thumbsup:

I was lucky enough to get away from studies to get to my life drawing group again. Needed a break from the books! Exam next week so will be glad to get it over with and back to regular art!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2011/83841-006.JPG

5 mins pose
Charcoal on paper
~8x12 inches

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2011/83841-004.JPG

10mins pose

Graphite on paper
~8x12 inches

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2011/83841-005.JPG

10mins
Charcoal on paper
~8x12 inches

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2011/83841-John.jpg

John (~1 hour 15mins)
soft pastel on Sennelier pastel card
8x12 inches

Any C&C is always welcome!

...better get back to the books... :(

Ryan

artbyjune
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Lovely to see the life drawings Ryan. I would like to do some life studies again but I haven't access to models.

Robin, did you buy any lovely stuff for yourself in the gallery gift shop in Paris?

azulparsnip
06-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Ryan - thanks for the encouragement. I'm with June - I'd love to do some live model drawing. closest I can manage is posemanics . Germany was so idealic it made me nervous. We Americans are somewhat messy and wild. But living is a small country I realize strict control is necessary. We stayed in the little village of Bedesbach.....about 25 minutes from Kaiser-Slautern (spelling ?). We went to Munich one day , and stayed in Garmish for 4 days. We also went to see an old palace. While driving we "dipped " into Austria.....oh, the Alps are world class mountains...... this little traveling was a wonderful experience. I have a better appreciation of cultures and home. Musee d' Orsay....nope , didn't make that one. Musee Guimet (Asian art) was dissappointing.

June - Yes, I went into Sennelier's shoppe. established in 1887 , near the Louvre. Mr. Sennelier talked to me about America a bit . He was very personable, very nice. I bought a very nice nib holder, some pink and some grey ink and some ususual nibs.

trafford
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Oh, Robin, your trip sounds just wonderful :envy: :envy: :envy: I felt so relaxed in Europe...everything was so much more low key than here.

Glad you are back to basics Ryan...it helps to brush up on the figure once in a while. My big trouble is fore shortening...I just don't seem to see it. Need a lot of practice on this one thing.

Here is a new tile I did this month...it posted a little dark, but you get the idea. "****ches' Wood:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2011/42757-witchs_woods.JPG

ryster007
06-26-2011, 04:15 PM
[quote=artbyjune]Lovely to see the life drawings Ryan. I would like to do some life studies again but I haven't access to models.

quote]

I'm very lucky to have found this life group in Edinburgh- It's a drop in group totally untutored. Only costs 10 for three hours. Unfortunately this week was cancelled and it was the first weekend since I finished my exam so was looking forward to it :envy:.

June, look at the adult education run through your local schools- there's bound to be a life class, they're pretty cheap usually!

Exams are over so can get my work (&study) / art life balance back in favour of art again:clap:

Ryan

Ryan

ryster007
06-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Ryan - thanks for the encouragement. I'm with June - I'd love to do some live model drawing. closest I can manage is posemanics . Germany was so idealic it made me nervous. We Americans are somewhat messy and wild. But living is a small country I realize strict control is necessary. We stayed in the little village of Bedesbach.....about 25 minutes from Kaiser-Slautern (spelling ?). We went to Munich one day , and stayed in Garmish for 4 days. We also went to see an old palace. While driving we "dipped " into Austria.....oh, the Alps are world class mountains...... this little traveling was a wonderful experience. I have a better appreciation of cultures and home. Musee d' Orsay....nope , didn't make that one. Musee Guimet (Asian art) was dissappointing.

That's a real shame you missed Musee D'Orsay- you'll just have to go back!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2011/83841-ryorsay.JPG
This is the main hall of Musee D'Orsay- an old railway station now converted to an impressionist master class. Manet's Olympia (probably my favourite), Monet, Degas, Bastien Lepage, Gaugin, Redon, Lautrec...

Kaiserslautern- haven't been there, but Munich is wonderful. Unfortunately I didn't get to go to galleries or sketch when I was there- it was my stag (or Bucks?) weekend!:angel:

The alps are awe-inspiring - think next time I go back I'd like to head up into the mountian villages and Austria.

Sounds like you had a great trip though:thumbsup:

Ryan

ryster007
06-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Glad you are back to basics Ryan...it helps to brush up on the figure once in a while. My big trouble is fore shortening...I just don't seem to see it. Need a lot of practice on this one thing.

Here is a new tile I did this month...it posted a little dark, but you get the idea. "****ches' Wood:

Thanks Trafford:wave:

Fore-shortening:wink2: . It aint easy!!! Gotta draw what you see not what your brain tells you- easier said than done.

Love this painting- like the mystery in it. I'm a sucker for cats these days too:thumbsup:

Ryan

artbyjune
07-01-2011, 02:23 AM
The adult education classes might be a way to find a life class...perhaps for the winter, Ryan!

Janet, I love those cats!!