PDA

View Full Version : BAD acrylic paint problem


birdlady
06-01-2011, 12:10 AM
for years I have used the Jerry Yarnell method of putting my paints on damp paper towels in my paint saver palette box. But NOW I cant keep them for near as long as I used to. I could keep them for at least 3 weeks in the box but now they end up with a growth covering them in just a week. Think its a mold in sorts. Does or has anyone else have this problem. I just dont want to go back to the having to scrap hard paint off the palette again nor mixing it up at each time I work on a painting. Thanks for any comments or help.


Laurie

laughingshoes
06-01-2011, 01:05 AM
I place wax paper over the damp paper towels, then put the paint on the wax paper. At the end of each paint session I spray the paper towel layer with a water mister, and seal the box. My paints last several weeks like this. Hope this helps.

Einion
06-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Laurie, if you're having this problem in the same container(s) it's worth trying a thorough cleaning of it/them and maybe using something to kill mould spores. There are many anti-mildew products to help keep bathroom grout clean for example, but a simple bleach solution will work quite well.

Einion

birdlady
06-02-2011, 11:43 PM
thanks Laughingshoes..I will give that a try too

Einion .appreciate the input although its not the container. It seems to be only on the paper towels I use. I have a glass inside the box for mixing the paints on, dont like the plastic bottom, and there is no problem there. Soo still puzzled with this dilema

Laurie

Lady Carol
06-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Some say a penny in the box helps retard mold growth. I have never tried it and it may be an old wives tale, but it is a cheap solution if it works

idylbrush
06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
It sounds as though the spores are in the container, even if not growing on the container. Mold has to have something to feed off of to grow and plastic isn't a good source. I would, as other suggested, clean thoroughly with soap and water and then do a bleach solution soak.

Start over fresh and clean. As Carol stated some feel that copper (an organic mold retardant) under the paper/sponge can help resist the growth of mold but there is nothing that can totally stop it.

All it takes is an unsuspecting customer to open a tube or jar and it can be mold contaminated. May take a lot of bleaching and cleaning until the offending paint is gone. Then another will come along.

Regular cleaning and bleaching is a good habit to form.

birdlady
06-03-2011, 12:54 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm copper penny huh well that one is interesting. TY Carol :)

idylbrush...I do clean it after each piece is done but not with bleach just the soapy water. Must try that one.

I was told it could be the paper towels I am using since they are recycled. But as I said before I have used this method for years with no problem. That was before the recycling came along. It scares me to think I have been doing commissioned paintings with this paint, not that I am using it after it turns, and it could effect the art later.


Laurie

RiJoRi
06-03-2011, 04:55 PM
This is a guess, but what about using a couple of dishtowels to provide the moisture? One would be the working towel, the other on standby. When finished with a painting, bleach the container, and clean the working towel. When its time for the next painting, drop the standby towel into water brought to a violent boil. Let it sit there for 10 minutes, then pull it out and let it cool off (ouch!) or dunk it into cold water. (Cold, boiled water for the Real Fanatics!) Use this towel for the working towel, and the other for standby.

--Rich

OkeeKat
06-04-2011, 09:50 PM
YES A Copper Penny... I use it in my box with a very wet sponge in the box, my box is an rubbermaid deviled egg container. I use a foam tray i put inside the box and a penny in one egg compartent. it does turn green/white but NEVER have my paints smell moldy or get filmed over.
I do mist the foam palette with water and it stays wet for weeks!!

note old foam brush used for sponge and Penny in upper left compartment.
I haven't opened since thurs even till now, very moist yet.
686722