PDA

View Full Version : Would Like to Try Acrylics

ingbranch
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Still experimenting with watercolors but I find that I really like the opaqueness of acrylics. Sometimes watercolors is just a little too unpredictable for me. Though I will continue with watercolors I'd like to try acrylics as well. What I'd like to know is can I pack acrylics the way i do with watercolors? Can I place some paints in a portable palette and carry around with me? I like the mobility of the watercolor palettes but am not sure that would work with acrylics. I've tried gouache but find that after rewetting the medium gets too watery. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Lady Carol
05-31-2011, 11:59 PM
You cannot place colours out on a palette, let them dry and try to rewet them. They are plastic paint. Once dry that is it. My suggestion is take the tubes with you and squeeze out as much as you need and keep it wet. You could try the sta-wet palette. It uses a sponge to keep the paint wet but I find they can become too wet with it. Other members like it and have had success

ShannonTeague
06-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Golden Open acrylics might help you out with that. The dry time on them is much longer than normal acrylics. I've not tried them out personally, yet, but I'm ordering some in a few days and I've been watching the videos at the Golden site. According to the videos they've left the paint out in the open, uncovered for 4 days and it was only tacky after that time. Cool thing about them also is that you are able to reactivate tacky paint by adding Open thinner or medium to it. So if you aren't wedded to the fast drying time of normal acrylics, Open might be just the thing for you.

ingbranch
06-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Thank you both.