PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Buildings Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Johannes Instructor
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM
We will be using this thread for discussing everything related to the "Essentials of Buildings" course.
Here is the synopsis on what you will learn:
How to do:

tin roofs
shingle roofs
California tile roofs
barn wood
white walls
stone walls and bridges
brick walls
essential perspective (only what's necessary. Principles are reduced)
How to do street scenes
I will also reveal all the techniques and secrets to make buildings more artistic such as what to do with rigid angles and lines that are cumbersome in paintings.
How to make buildings look 3D
How to harmonize colors in buildings.
How to create fantastic backgrounds that support the buildings as subordinate actors.

mickisew
05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi Johannes:

Thank you for getting us back into the classroom so quickly! Along with others, I am excited to join you this Saturday (June 4) to continue the learning process. You are a God send for those of us who are unable to attend an art program outside the home. Your ability as a painter and a teacher is most appreciated.

Micki

HazelP
05-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Looking forward to this further course with you Johannes. I'm so glad I found you when I was just starting out in painting - it has made such a difference!!!!

nougat
05-30-2011, 11:35 PM
sooo looking forward to next saturday. :)

oCDs01-711
05-31-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm ready to begin!

J.Lloyd
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Johannes .....in preparation for the new classes, are there any books you can suggest - - ones that we might order quickly so that they would be helpful over the next four weeks?

Joan

Amandine
05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I'll be there. :wave:

norskgal
05-31-2011, 12:53 PM
I have enrolled in the class through ArtNetworktv. And (for once) I will be able to attend on the 4th. Because this class has an enrollment cost, does that mean that it is capped off at 1,000 enrollees? On the previous classes, I would log on 1/2 hour early to make certain I had a seat. This class starts an hour earlier (10 AM for me on the west coast) and I would like to be able to wait till close to 10 to log on. It would be disappointing to find that I was 1,001 and out of luck.

HazelP
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
I read that it is only open to the first 1000 applicants so those who haven't registered should not delay.

I'll have to get up at 5 am (New Zealand time) to watch this one but that will be no hardship for me.

sherrysherman
05-31-2011, 02:59 PM
I have enrolled in the class through ArtNetworktv. And (for once) I will be able to attend on the 4th. Because this class has an enrollment cost, does that mean that it is capped off at 1,000 enrollees? On the previous classes, I would log on 1/2 hour early to make certain I had a seat. This class starts an hour earlier (10 AM for me on the west coast) and I would like to be able to wait till close to 10 to log on. It would be disappointing to find that I was 1,001 and out of luck.
It would not be in F&W's (or Johannes's) interest to cap enrollment at 1000. Not everyone will be able to attend the live events, and capping it would mean a lot of seats went empty each week. Also, since the streaming video will be available, I would imagine less concern with someone getting closed out - they can watch it later.

However, I would also be surprised to have over 3000 registered, as was the case with the free classes. There was no downside to registering in the free case, since if you didn't like it, you could just not sign on to watch.

This is all just speculation, of course. :) I would like to know how many have registered for the buildings class, as that would be an indication as to how early I should log in to GoToWebinar to be sure of getting in.

HazelP
05-31-2011, 03:08 PM
This is in the email newsletter I have received from The Pastel Journal a few minutes ago.

Online Painting Seminar

Johannes Vloothuis will share his expertise at painting buildings such as barns, stone bridges, and brick homes in the latest WetCanvas live online seminar. The artist's very simple approach to perspective will take away the complexity of this subject, helping you to depict buildings that tell a story and compel viewers to look deeply into your paintings. Join Vloothuis live online:
· June 4 - June 25. (4 classes)
· Saturdays 1 to 3 PM EDT. (Check your local time)
· Fee $19.99

Only 1,000 seats are available, so register for this series now!

sherrysherman
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
This is in the email newsletter I have received from The Pastel Journal a few minutes ago.

Online Painting Seminar

Johannes Vloothuis will share his expertise at painting buildings such as barns, stone bridges, and brick homes in the latest WetCanvas live online seminar. The artist's very simple approach to perspective will take away the complexity of this subject, helping you to depict buildings that tell a story and compel viewers to look deeply into your paintings. Join Vloothuis live online:
· June 4 - June 25. (4 classes)
· Saturdays 1 to 3 PM EDT. (Check your local time)
· Fee $19.99

Only 1,000 seats are available, so register for this series now!
Yes, I read that too. I still think they would make a mistake to limit the number of registrations. It's true "only 1000 seats are available," but that's like saying "only 200 seats are available" on an airplane. They still oversell flights, knowing that quite a few buyers won't be on the plane, for one reason or another. If they only sold 200 tickets, they'd be flying with empty seats. (And it's especially true for this course, given that a lot of people will choose to watch a streaming video rather than watch the live broadcast at 1 am or whenever.)

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Johannes .....in preparation for the new classes, are there any books you can suggest - - ones that we might order quickly so that they would be helpful over the next four weeks?

Joan
I am waiting for F&W to send me some books I requested about buildings. I will not recommend books unless I am sure they will fulfill my expectations as you have seen with the previous books I recommended.

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
If you have enrolled you are guaranteed entrance. F&WMedia will not go past the number allowed by the system because that would spell trouble. We did not do that with the freebies because there was no charge for it. I am monitoring the registration day by day to make sure you all get in.

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
I read that it is only open to the first 1000 applicants so those who haven't registered should not delay.

I'll have to get up at 5 am (New Zealand time) to watch this one but that will be no hardship for me.
Correct first come first get and once it hits 1000 we close the cockpit hatch. If you registered you are guaranteed entrance. When it gets full we will take down the regsitration link so we don't go over board.

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Yes, I read that too. I still think they would make a mistake to limit the number of registrations. It's true "only 1000 seats are available," but that's like saying "only 200 seats are available" on an airplane. They still oversell flights, knowing that quite a few buyers won't be on the plane, for one reason or another. If they only sold 200 tickets, they'd be flying with empty seats. (And it's especially true for this course, given that a lot of people will choose to watch a streaming video rather than watch the live broadcast at 1 am or whenever.)
Once again those who registered so far as of May 31 8:35 PM EDT have guaranteed access.

mtnrunner
05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Johannes,

Will the streaming video be available soon after the class? Or will it be a long delay? I'm unable to attend this time frame, but don't want to wait weeks to watch the video..
thanks! Hope you sell out!
deb

Johannes Instructor
05-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Johannes,

Will the streaming video be available soon after the class? Or will it be a long delay? I'm unable to attend this time frame, but don't want to wait weeks to watch the video..
thanks! Hope you sell out!
deb
From my point of view it would take no longer than let's say 1 week to submit to F&W. Once it is in their hands I don't know.

Ruth04
05-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Hello Johannes
I'm ready for the new course and excited to continue learning, you're an excellent teacher!

Grainne
05-31-2011, 11:00 PM
I know that I will have to miss at least one of these presentations on the Saturday 1-3 time slot.

After I register, will the time period for watching the "catch-up" streaming videos be unlimited, or must they be watched within a certain time frame? Can they be watched over and over like all other programing we purchase in download or dvd format?

Will there be live painting demonstrations? especially in watercolor? *hint* :)

Thanks!

Grainne

Susan Peltonen
06-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Johannes,
The synopsis for the new course "Essentials of Buildings" sounds great! I can't wait to get started this weekend. I've always been intrigued with old buildings and will be looking forward to your expert tips and tricks, and "golden nuggets" for creating buildings and backgrounds that are believable and beautiful.

Johannes Instructor
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I know that I will have to miss at least one of these presentations on the Saturday 1-3 time slot.

After I register, will the time period for watching the "catch-up" streaming videos be unlimited, or must they be watched within a certain time frame? Can they be watched over and over like all other programing we purchase in download or dvd format?

Will there be live painting demonstrations? especially in watercolor? *hint* :)

Thanks!

Grainne
They can be watched over and over again. 1 demo in oils and one demo in watercolor.

zentyme1
06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
We will be using this thread for discussing everything related to the "Essentials of Buildings" course.
How to do:

tin roofs
shingle roofs
California tile roofs
barn wood
white walls
stone walls and bridges
brick walls
How to do street scenes
I will also reveal all the techniques and secrets to make buildings more artistic such as what to do with rigid angles and lines that are cumbersome in paintings.
How to create fantastic backgrounds that support the buildings as subordinate actors.

Thank you for the synopsis Johannes...
Your painting is like eye-candy for the soul...
Looking forward to Saturday
Cindy :rolleyes:

sherrysherman
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
How to do:

tin roofs
shingle roofs
California tile roofs
barn wood
white walls
stone walls and bridges
brick walls
How to do street scenes
That synopsis sounds great. I can hardly wait for this to start. I love doing buildings - but am not always in love with what I produce. ")

tuscanni
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
They can be watched over and over again. 1 demo in oils and one demo in watercolor.

Johannes...will these webinars for the 4 weekends be live presentations or recorded sessions? I prefer the live sessions versus recorded webinars. I know that they will be recorded, but will the orignial airing be live or recorded.
ann

Naomi D
06-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi there... can I still register? I tried about a week ago, but couldn't finish the registration process because it wouldn't accept my phone number (Australian). I live in a remote part of outback Australia and this would be a great way for me to access instruction from experts.

cheers Naomi

Jean50
06-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I am counting the days to the class Sat. I really like painting buildings and looking forward to this class.

Judith2020
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Thank you for the synopsis Johannes. I would have to miss all but one of the live classes, so will need to take the recorded sessions. 2 point perspective is still challenging for me and 3 point perspective gives me a migraine! I hope that you will cover 2 point in your class. Based on your previous classes I am certain that I could learn perspective from you. Best, Judy

Judith2020
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Will you be covering 1 and 2 point perspective in this class? Based on your last class, I am sure I could learn 2 point from you. A former instructor - wonderful artist and person - tried his best to teach me the drafting principles of 2 and 3 point and I found the language a bit daunting. If you have an easy approach I would really appreciate it! Best, Judy

RainySea
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I am torn as it looks like I would need to miss two for sure and am not sure if I could stream the other two anyway due to my internet being slow. Sound and picture never matched up in the free sessions and I assume it would be the same?

But if there is a week or more delay before we can watch it recorded, how will we interact with the rest of the the class/instructor in a timely manner? The next material will be being discussed before we've seen the first!

J.Lloyd
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you for the synopsis Johannes. I would have to miss all but one of the live classes, so will need to take the recorded sessions. 2 point perspective is still challenging for me and 3 point perspective gives me a migraine! I hope that you will cover 2 point in your class. Based on your previous classes I am certain that I could learn perspective from you. Best, Judy

Johannes ... I think Judith is correct here - - I too have had extreme difficulty with perspective and any building or barn I attempt falls into the category of "seriously dilapidated"! Fine if that's all one wanted to do when drawing or painting, but it has become clear that perspective is very necessarry in order to produce believable buildings, sheds, and even bridges. I have tried following along with books and guides to perspective but have eventually thrown up my hands as they often make the issues involved look like complex mathematical exercises of some sort. I'm not sure there is a painless way to learn perspective, but I am sure that due to your excellent teaching skills that we will learn a lot. I look forward to this Saturday!

Joan

jmcedeno
06-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi Johannes, I am thrilled to be in class again and most especially doing buildings , a fascinating subject for me since I spent 50 years of my life designing them from "bottom to top" :lol: but, to put them on canvas is a huge hurdle to conquer. I enrolled at the moment it was announced so I'm in. The class will begin at 10:00 AM my time so I'll connect at 9:00 when the classroom will open, I hope.

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Hi there... can I still register? I tried about a week ago, but couldn't finish the registration process because it wouldn't accept my phone number (Australian). I live in a remote part of outback Australia and this would be a great way for me to access instruction from experts.

cheers Naomi
I see no reason why not. The registration is done by internet.

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Will you be covering 1 and 2 point perspective in this class? Based on your last class, I am sure I could learn 2 point from you. A former instructor - wonderful artist and person - tried his best to teach me the drafting principles of 2 and 3 point and I found the language a bit daunting. If you have an easy approach I would really appreciate it! Best, Judy
I'm sure you will get it this time.

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Please take into account that not the whole couse is about perspective. It will covers everything that will help you make your buildings more interesting.

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I am torn as it looks like I would need to miss two for sure and am not sure if I could stream the other two anyway due to my internet being slow. Sound and picture never matched up in the free sessions and I assume it would be the same?

But if there is a week or more delay before we can watch it recorded, how will we interact with the rest of the the class/instructor in a timely manner? The next material will be being discussed before we've seen the first!
I have deisgned it in a way that just because you miss one class will not affect you with the others. Each Saturday will have different modules.

SweetMe
06-02-2011, 08:48 PM
:wave:Hi Johannes and Classmates
I too am thrilled that another class with your excellent teaching skills and vast knowledge base is going to take place.
I was hoping not to have to enter the classroom early, but will the first Sat., just in case of errors, mine or ????
:heart:

Johannes Instructor
06-02-2011, 11:35 PM
:wave:Hi Johannes and Classmates
I too am thrilled that another class with your excellent teaching skills and vast knowledge base is going to take place.
I was hoping not to have to enter the classroom early, but will the first Sat., just in case of errors, mine or ????
:heart:
I will open the web room at 12:30 PM EDT on Saturday. I will be monitoring my email constantly in case any of you have problems getting in. I really don't expect anything of this nature because last course with 1000's of people registered there never was a case of someone being left out by a glitch. But I think all of you would feel more at ease knowing that you can email me on the spot.
Here is my email:
[email protected]

mtnrunner
06-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm looking forward to the classes. However, I will not be able to attend any of the live sessions (that time of the day on Saturday is almost always not workable for me). So, I'll be waiting for the downloads - I hope they come in a timely manner.
But anyway, there's one slot that can be "overbooked" in the live session because I know I won't be there.

Psalm341
06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I have never joined an on-line class so am trying to get my ducks in a row before tomorrow. I'm having trouble understanding the audio tech part of this. Do I really need a headset and a mic? My PC has built in speakers and I never have a problem watching live stream video. Is this going to be along those same lines, or is it different technology altogether that I know nothing about? My computer savvy husband is away and can't help me with this. REALLY looking forward to this class and hope that I can actually join in tomorrow. I have seen no essential materials list, but will be ready with my basic acrylic colors that I mix, a variety of brushes, canvas/paper, spray bottle and hope I'm good to go. Any advice is welcome!

jmcedeno
06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I'll be glued to the PC beginning at 9:30 AM PT. tomorrow.
Hello, Johannes want to thank you very much for more classes. With your permission I'd like to offer a gift to all the fellow students that work in Oil and Acrylic but after you review it and comment. I spent the entire month of May working on these exercises and thought it could be of some value to others. It consists of a step by step demo on how to do a Value Chart in Oil and Acrylic, and also a demo on how to make a Palette in a box for
preserving medium in the freezer, similar to the one you have talked about it in your classes. Anybody is welcome to make prints for their use without going to so much work as I have. It was a great learning experience and hope it could help someone. If any additional clarification is needed, I could be contacted via email.
Please, go to my blog shown with my signature.

Johannes Instructor
06-03-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm looking forward to the classes. However, I will not be able to attend any of the live sessions (that time of the day on Saturday is almost always not workable for me). So, I'll be waiting for the downloads - I hope they come in a timely manner.
But anyway, there's one slot that can be "overbooked" in the live session because I know I won't be there.
You will still have to register to get the streaming option. I was not told from F&WMedia that you could get the material later. This time it works differently. I would sign up even if you cannot attend the classes in order to get the streaming option.

Johannes Instructor
06-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I have never joined an on-line class so am trying to get my ducks in a row before tomorrow. I'm having trouble understanding the audio tech part of this. Do I really need a headset and a mic? My PC has built in speakers and I never have a problem watching live stream video. Is this going to be along those same lines, or is it different technology altogether that I know nothing about? My computer savvy husband is away and can't help me with this. REALLY looking forward to this class and hope that I can actually join in tomorrow. I have seen no essential materials list, but will be ready with my basic acrylic colors that I mix, a variety of brushes, canvas/paper, spray bottle and hope I'm good to go. Any advice is welcome!
You don't need a mike. As long as you can hear a video from youtube or any similar application you are all set. Just click on the registration link tomorrow just before class. The room will be open about 30 min early which is 12:30 EDT (New York time). I am not assinging materials because this is mostly lecture based and watch and learn. Maybe in the future F&W Media will want to program "paint-along sessions" following the live video. In that case you would get a materials list.

Tarlo
06-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Hello Johannes,

Up bright and early this morning at 2.30am to log in for a 3am start here in Australia. Oh dear, it didnt take long to realise I was one day early!! You can see I really am keen to start these lesson.

Best wishes

Judy

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello Johannes,

Up bright and early this morning at 2.30am to log in for a 3am start here in Australia. Oh dear, it didnt take long to realise I was one day early!! You can see I really am keen to start these lesson.

Best wishes

Judy
LOL Up bright and early at 2:30 AM? What dedication!

Colorix
06-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Looking forward to it! Counting minutes.

Been working plein air in the Old Town as a prep!

painter 55
06-04-2011, 09:49 AM
"[QUOTE=Psalm341]I have never joined an on-line class so am trying to get my ducks in a row before tomorrow. I'm having trouble understanding the audio tech part of this."
I'll share this:
I had little to no experience in this type of learning and all I had to do was use the reminder email WetCanvas sent for my log in. I found all the instructions on what to do very easy to follow and if I was having problems all I'd do is go back to the email and log in again. The process never failed me and I always could hear and see the classes. So looking forward to this one.

LadyMadonna
06-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I might have to miss a few classes but I am happy to know that I am able to catch up with an email link. Looking forward to the learning process one again !

robertsloan2
06-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I went to bed early last night so that I'd be well rested today. Got up at seven and I'm in good shape - so far this is the best day I've had all week. Sketchbook located for notes. Good pen located and set out right where I can grab it for notes. New Tombow brush pens handy for sketched notes.

I'm so excited. Might play with the Tombows a little before class even starts, since I'm itching to go!

Also glad in a way that there isn't a materials list because I am not sure I've got Indian Red watercolor. Definitely need to get it, just not this month and not till I've sorted my watercolors I have to see if I already do own it. I know I've got the Transparent Yellow though.

Buildings are a tough subject for me. I've managed to do them well in the past but only by sticking to the photo. I have a good feeling about this course that afterwards I'll be able to do buildings from life and even put them in from imagination or grab random references to add them in.

nougat
06-04-2011, 10:51 AM
:)

we're starting sooooon!!

Noula
06-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Hello Johannes.....Can't wait for the class to open!
Athena

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello Johannes.....Can't wait for the class to open!
Athena\
And I can't wait to share with you all these wonderful techniques for buildings. You are just gonna love this class! Can you imagine if teaching and learning were this exciting in schools? Imagine students saying they can't wait to get to class. Something is not working when kids hate school.

Ruth04
06-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Johannes!

There will be handouts?

Windrawings
06-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Johannes will you be doing a fall course? Just asking... It may seem premature to ask but you can be sure I am not the only one wondering ;0)

Windrawings
06-04-2011, 12:13 PM
\
And I can't wait to share with you all these wonderful techniques for buildings. You are just gonna love this class! Can you imagine if teaching and learning were this exciting in schools? Imagine students saying they can't wait to get to class. Something is not working when kids hate school.

Agreed... I took a course last year called mind, brain, health and education. Something Harvard offered as a distance course. Apparently researchers are looking into an individual child's strengths these days instead of their weaknesses in schools. For instance a child in first grade that has a strength in art may be using your videos in the future and doing as much of it as they please. Just the hope of the course creators however research is pushing us in that direction. Interest is one of the main factors that would keep the children wanting to return and as a result of practice a student would do well. Where focusing on a students weaknesses took away their confidence focusing on their strengths increases it enabling them to quickly take on other challenges such as math lol. Still in the work apparently I guess we'll have to wait and see what they do.

RainySea
06-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm signed up but won't be able to view class today, nor on 18th, not on 25th so I will have to await the recorded versions. Will there be instructions sent on how to do that?

desthers
06-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Looking forward to the Buildings class with Johannes.
If we logon to class will we also be able to watch the streaming video later?

judithj
06-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I have registered for the class but do not know how to get to the webinar - please help!

RainySea
06-04-2011, 01:07 PM
In the email receipt from north light there was a gotomeeting link. . .you can click on that

judithj
06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately I never got the email.

judithj
06-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately I never got the email.

Oops - found it - thanks

sunnygs
06-04-2011, 01:42 PM
How do I sign on to Johannes landscapes wetcanvas program going on now and the next 3 Saturdays? I paid for it, but was not sent info to log in so I'm missing it.

Thank you.:confused:

nougat
06-04-2011, 03:36 PM
did you not receive a 'reminder' email?

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 03:52 PM
How do I sign on to Johannes landscapes wetcanvas program going on now and the next 3 Saturdays? I paid for it, but was not sent info to log in so I'm missing it.

Thank you.:confused:
Send me an email to help you out. You will be able to watch the streaming version of today's class. Don't worry.
[email protected]

carlsbad
06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
I was always apprehensive about painting buildings because of straight lines, perspective, cladding texture, etc. Johannes first class has taken away this fear. I look forward to the remaining classes for practical information and invaluable "nuggets" to handle these challenges.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Looking forward to the Buildings class with Johannes.
If we logon to class will we also be able to watch the streaming video later?
Yes, whether you log on or not you still get to see the streaming video as long as you registered.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Johannes will you be doing a fall course? Just asking... It may seem premature to ask but you can be sure I am not the only one wondering ;0)
I believe F&W Media want me for more courses after this.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Johannes!

There will be handouts?
Better, you will be getting my entire powerpoint presentation in PDF.

Johannes Instructor
06-04-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm signed up but won't be able to view class today, nor on 18th, not on 25th so I will have to await the recorded versions. Will there be instructions sent on how to do that?
Yes, you will get an email with the links.

Artbynan
06-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi,
I'm really looking forward to learning more golden nuggets!
You giving us so much information, you always go all the way out to make us understand,I really appreciate it!
You were born to be a teacher!
Gracias!!!

nougat
06-05-2011, 12:43 AM
oooh that's great that we can look forward to more courses from you, johannes.
i loved yesterday's webinar!!

beart
06-05-2011, 12:53 AM
There is only one thing I can say about you.. Thank God he gave you the heart to share with us.

RainySea
06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
The part of the webinar I was able to attend before my meeting was wonderful. And realizing that its not about painting exact perfect lines was liberating. I look forward to seeing the full recording! TY

diena
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
I missed registering for the buildings classes. Computer down. Can I still register even though the first class has passed?

rib00
06-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I missed the end of class yesterday but I did see Johannes post the link to download the class slides. I haven't been able to find the page, http://improvemypaintings.com/studentmaterials.

Does anyone know if the page changed? Thanks.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 03:07 PM
I missed the end of class yesterday but I did see Johannes post the link to download the class slides. I haven't been able to find the page, http://improvemypaintings.com/studentmaterials.

Does anyone know if the page changed? Thanks.
Seeing this posted link is what I was worried about.
This is precisely why I changed my mind and won't use that link because it has been posted which is what I feared. Because many of you paid a fee to get this information it would not be fair that someone posts a link for others to get it all free. I will email the registrants the way to get the powerpoint presentation.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I missed registering for the buildings classes. Computer down. Can I still register even though the first class has passed?
Yes, you can still can register. The first class you missed you can see it in streaming video later.

rib00
06-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Sorry, Johannes. I didn't mean to mess things up. I figured I missed something at the end of class when I couldn't find the slides. Forgot about this being a public forum.

I'd be happy to delete the post if I could.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Sorry, Johannes. I didn't mean to mess things up. I figured I missed something at the end of class when I couldn't find the slides. Forgot about this being a public forum.
It's ok. It was inadvertanly done which is what I got concerned about. I will figure a way to get you that PDF file by Monday or Tuesday, I want to see if I can put it up in Northlight for download.

Johannes Instructor
06-05-2011, 05:51 PM

I'd be happy to delete the post if I could.
No that's ok no harm done because the folder cannot accessed. I know it was done inadvertently. This was expected. I will find a way to get the PDF file of the class to you in one or two days.

Amandine
06-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Hello Johannes,
I'm sorry to say that I miss the first hour of your lesson yesterday :( and also had to leave at 3 :( :( . It's a bit hard for me to be in front of my computer at 1:00 p.m. on saturdays. I know I miss some very interesting and important informations so I'm really awaiting for the streaming video.
Hope to be there on time next week.

Ruth04
06-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Hello Johannes
I read in December´s threads, you taught about mountains, skies, seascapes, snow and others. You might consider re-teach these topics in upcoming seminars like this?

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Hello Johannes
I read in December´s threads, you taught about mountains, skies, seascapes, snow and others. You might consider re-teach these topics in upcoming seminars like this?
Yes that would be a thing to do.

Linda Driver
06-06-2011, 01:39 PM
:cat: I signed up for the Johannes buildings class this weekend 6/4/11 however; i had an emergency and could not attend. i cancelled so it would open a spot for someone else. Will i still be able to join the rest of the webinar? Are there notes for this weekend class? Please respond ASAP

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 05:10 PM
:cat: I signed up for the Johannes buildings class this weekend 6/4/11 however; i had an emergency and could not attend. i cancelled so it would open a spot for someone else. Will i still be able to join the rest of the webinar? Are there notes for this weekend class? Please respond ASAP
What do you mean by "cancelled it"? Does this mean you just did not show up last Saturday?

Ruth04
06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes that would be a thing to do.

Great news for me, I hope to be able to be in all!

firesignart
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
:wave:I missed the class and hoping to find an email or something about the streaming access but so far nothing. Am I missing anything or should I be patient?

Johannes Instructor
06-06-2011, 11:52 PM
:wave:I missed the class and hoping to find an email or something about the streaming access but so far nothing. Am I missing anything or should I be patient?
Northlight will notify you when the streaming video becomes available.

RainySea
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I just got an email from Northlight indicating that the videos would not be available until AFTER the series of classes!!! That makes me very sad as I was hoping to be able to watch them and keep up with the rest of the class and interact here, etc. My internet is too slow on weekends to watch streaming video correctly, but if they came available a few days after the live class, as I thought they would, I could have watched them during the week, that would have been ideal.

Having to wait til the end to see all of them is not the same. . . one does not feel like part of a group learning together but like someone popping in after the fact. The feeling of being in a class with a group learning together is lost. :crying: :crying:

robertsloan2
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I just posted my notes from "Essentials of Buildings" class on June 4th. If you also took notes, please add yours to the thread but don't thank me in the thread or make other comments, the only posts in the thread ought to be students' notes from the class sessions. I can't be the only one who takes notes!

If you want to thank me or comment on them, please post here. I'll be reading this thread throughout.

RainySea
06-07-2011, 01:28 PM
UPDATE! I just got an email from Northlight again and they have decided that they ARE going to post the lessons each week. YAY!!! I am so happy now. That made my day as I am so eager to watch the video and join in.

Thanks Northlight and Johannes!

norskgal
06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Johannes, one of the points you made in your presentation was: "If you have a photo that portrays an unusual event, it might make a good photo but would probably not work in a painting. I wouldn't be believable. What came to my mind was the examples from "Ripley's Believe it or not". The viewer would most likely opt for "not". I had an instructor who would often ask "is it believable?" He was a very good instructor, and I learned a lot from him, but I didn't completely "get" what he was saying. But from your wonderful teaching delivery, I now completely get it. I was looking through photos of seascapes in Norway. One that I liked had a boathouse with a lot of character. But it was perched on very teeterly looking stacked rocks. And I immediately said to myself, "in a painting, this would not be believable'. I am keeping the building example as a possibility, but would edit its foundation to be believable. Thank you for that nugget.

Ruth04
06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I just posted my notes from "Essentials of Buildings" class on June 4th.
If you want to thank me or comment on them, please post here. I'll be reading this thread throughout.

ROBERT: THANKS FOR YOUR NOTES AND FOR YOUR KINDNESS TO SHARE IT, I ADMIRE YOUR ABILITY FOR TO DO THIS.

J.Lloyd
06-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Robert,
Thank you for your notes - as usual they are super and I look forward to them after all of Johannes's classes.

Joan

momokev
06-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Ok, I'm not sure where the notes are posted?

momokev
06-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey, everyone. I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying the class!

Just wondered, is anyone going to the workshop in Raleigh, NC in October? I am going... wouldn't miss it!

Lisa

J.Lloyd
06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Lisa ....which workshop are you going to ....where can I find info about this workshop?

Joan

sylvia
06-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi I am still waiting for news of the PDF that you were posting for the last class 6/4/11..??anythingyet? Phyllis

Rosemarie
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok, I'm not sure where the notes are posted?
Here is the staring page for Wetcanvas Live. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522
Look for Roberts class notes. Go to the second page.

Johannes Instructor
06-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey, everyone. I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying the class!

Just wondered, is anyone going to the workshop in Raleigh, NC in October? I am going... wouldn't miss it!

Lisa
We are working on it right now to put a special page that will have a code for you all to access and on that page you will get the pdf files and the streaming recordings. Just give us a day or two. You will get an email when all this is up.

Johannes Instructor
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Lisa ....which workshop are you going to ....where can I find info about this workshop?

Joan
My webpage is below. I prefer not to address this on wetcanvas which is a forum for sharing painting techniques.

kittierue
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Joan and Lisa,
I'm the organizer for the October workshop in NC. There is information posted on Johannes' website, and also on mine - www.kittiesart.com. Look for the workshop link.

My email is [email protected] We've still got space, so come on over!!! It looks to be a wonderful workshop and the weather is traditionally very nice in October.

Kittie

Joan

J.Lloyd
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Johannes - my apology - I'm sorry for discussing other matters here.

Joan

Johannes Instructor
06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Johannes - my apology - I'm sorry for discussing other matters here.

Joan
No that's ok. I was just telling you that I would not elaborate on the workshop here in wetcanvas. It is not forbidden that you bring it up.

Ruth04
06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi I am still waiting for news of the PDF that you were posting for the last class 6/4/11..??anythingyet? Phyllis

I'm also waiting..... and the instrucciones to see again the video.
Mirsa.

IrmaH322
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Johannes on Saturday class you were going to talk about the Atelier acrylics but never did. Did you finished with your testing? I want to buy a couple of the Atelier
mediums but would like to know your opinion about the paints. Thanks.

wael hoseen
06-09-2011, 02:01 AM
How to do:
tin roofs
shingle roofs
California tile roofs
barn wood
white walls
stone walls and bridges
brick walls
How to do street scenes

you are very strong very very nice

oCDs01-711
06-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Robert, as usual your notes are superb.:clap: :clap: :clap:

I do wish others would add theirs on, but perhaps no one else is taking notes or they may feel intimated since yours are so well done! People are so interesting in taking notes. Sometimes I feel like they were so observant that I wasn't even in the same class with them! Know what I mean?:D Thanks again Robert.

Johannes Instructor
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Johannes on Saturday class you were going to talk about the Atelier acrylics but never did. Did you finished with your testing? I want to buy a couple of the Atelier
mediums but would like to know your opinion about the paints. Thanks.
I did mention it. I did not go into detail though because of the class time. Here is what I have understood about the Atelier acrylics after doing several paintings with it.

The titanium white is very opaque which is excellent because if you have pencil marks you don't want those to show through.
The medium dries like other acrylics in about the same amount of time
The advantage of this brand is that you can go back once it is dry, better within the same painting day and blend the edges a bit by spraying it with a fine mist bottle and dragging your brush over the area. Don't expect to be able to blend a lot. I was very pleased with a section I did with flowers that ended up being hard edged so I wet the area and massaged it with my brush and the leaves merged into each other the way I like flowers to look. I don't like to make their leaves that spotty. If you do intend to blend I would recommend that area be done with thicker paint because once you start to rub the area it also removes paint and exposes the bare canvas. This is solved if the paint is thick. By being able to somewhat blend it avoids this typical overworked look that you get with normal acrylics. Your tree foliage can become softer.
You need to consider that this medium which is typical of all acrylics is that it will dry one value darker than when you originally apply. So if not done right your clouds for example can end up being too dark. As with all acylics matching exact paint color wold be time consuming because of this. However you can paint over this medium with oils and you will not tell the difference.The water soluble medium allows you to spread this paint on very quickly and easily. I find myself doing the block in much faster than with oils.If you compare it with the other mediums this one is superior because of the somewhat blending effect but don't expect ample blending like with oils or pastels. If you need precise values then you can do the finishing with oils.

painter 55
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Wish I could say I am attending the Raleigh, N.C., workshop but sadly, I can't. Anyone attending that workshop would certainly get their money's worth. For myself at this point in time, I hope that Johannes can continue to present computer classes to us. Looking forward to Saturday's class.

crazywoman53
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Did you email a link with the handouts/downloads for last Sat. class yet? If so I didn't get one.

carlsbad
06-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Johannes,

In your gallery you do not identify the medium used. I'm interested in acrylics and would like to see some of your paintings using acrylics. From your classes, I've concluded that water colour and oils are your preferred media. How do you feel about acrylics?

Johannes Instructor
06-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Johannes,

In your gallery you do not identify the medium used. I'm interested in acrylics and would like to see some of your paintings using acrylics. From your classes, I've concluded that water colour and oils are your preferred media. How do you feel about acrylics?. Each medium has its application. Acrylics is good for detail and for fast spread. Oils gives you more of a sloppy look which is good for impressionist work. What i do also is a combination of block in with acrylics and then do the heavy impasto paint with oils on top of acrylics. I am recommending this brand of acrylics because you can somewaht soften edges and blend the paint even after it is dry. Here is the link to the acylics that I use:
http://www.chromaonline.com/

Johannes Instructor
06-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Did you email a link with the handouts/downloads for last Sat. class yet? If so I didn't get one.
I am quite positive by what I have seen from Northlight is that both the pdf and the recorded video from last Saturday will given to you in an email before this next class. This time everything is way faster. I can guarantee you that. I already saw the access page with both the video and the pdf file on northlight but it is password protected that will be accesible to those who registered. You will get this password and link in an email probably this Friday if not Saturday morning. Once you get that please do not post the link or the password in wetcanvas. It would not be fair for those who registered if that material were to be avialable openly.

robertsloan2
06-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh good! I can't wait to get the PDF and the streaming link. That rocks. Of course I won't post the link.

Is the class sold out yet or are there still a few openings? Some friends of mine who missed the first one are interested in taking the course and just catching up the first one by the link.

Thanks for the comments on my notes! I appreciate them. I made a new thread for notes on this class, which apparently bumped to the second page - just look for it, it's there.

I just checked - it's been merged with the starred Robert's Notes thread. So it's just my notes, last entry in the thread. I guess on Saturday they'll unlock it for me again. I will be taking notes again of course! Love those Tombow pens, they really perform for the little thumbnail sketches.

RainySea
06-09-2011, 07:44 PM
OH, way cool. . .thanks for the info Johannes. I'm hoping for Friday since my internet is slow on weekend but maybe when its a recording I can let it load in advance like I do on youtube or netflix (using pause) and then it will run smooth even then. I'm hoping so anyway.

BTW, do you want only finished paintings for critique? Or can we do color sketches?

gakinme
06-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I posted an imaginary piece on the homework thread and didn't get any critique or response yet. I am not into oil or other brush medium that much and rely on colored pencils and sketches. Not sure how well this will go down with the instructor.

Johannes Instructor
06-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Oh good! I can't wait to get the PDF and the streaming link. That rocks. Of course I won't post the link.

Is the class sold out yet or are there still a few openings? Some friends of mine who missed the first one are interested in taking the course and just catching up the first one by the link.

Thanks for the comments on my notes! I appreciate them. I made a new thread for notes on this class, which apparently bumped to the second page - just look for it, it's there.

I just checked - it's been merged with the starred Robert's Notes thread. So it's just my notes, last entry in the thread. I guess on Saturday they'll unlock it for me again. I will be taking notes again of course! Love those Tombow pens, they really perform for the little thumbnail sketches.
We have space for them. By all means give them the registration link:
http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wet-canvas-live-essentials-of-painting-buildings-with-johannes-vloothuis-w6039/?r=wclivesanl052511W6039&et_mid=505923&rid=2768408

Johannes Instructor
06-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I posted an imaginary piece on the homework thread and didn't get any critique or response yet. I am not into oil or other brush medium that much and rely on colored pencils and sketches. Not sure how well this will go down with the instructor.
Can you give me the exact thread page and post number because I don't see your work posted. What I am teaching are principles that are applicable to all mediums. This course is about general recommendations about how to do wall textures, roofs, criteria for selecting photos etc.

Johannes Instructor
06-09-2011, 10:47 PM
OH, way cool. . .thanks for the info Johannes. I'm hoping for Friday since my internet is slow on weekend but maybe when its a recording I can let it load in advance like I do on youtube or netflix (using pause) and then it will run smooth even then. I'm hoping so anyway.

BTW, do you want only finished paintings for critique? Or can we do color sketches?
I would prefer the final product because if it is preliminary you may still want to work out the bugs.

RainySea
06-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Ok, thanks Johannes. I thought that would be the case. Unfortunatley, what with working lots of overtime lately and having hectic stuff going on at home right now, I may not have a chance to do a real finished painting during June. But will try if time.

IrmaH322
06-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Johannes thank you for the information. I will order the "binder medium" to isolate coats between layers of paint to be able to glaze, also "unlocking formula" to rewet the paint after it has dried. I will try Atelier again.

gakinme
06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Can you give me the exact thread page and post number because I don't see your work posted. What I am teaching are principles that are applicable to all mediums. This course is about general recommendations about how to do wall textures, roofs, criteria for selecting photos etc.

Johannes, here is my piece (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13856167&postcount=72). Go ahead, you could roll your eyes.:lol:

Page 5, post 72.

jtburton
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Just wanted to let you know that I just received the email with the link to the streaming video and pdf file. I missed part of last weeks lesson so I will try to review the video this afternoon after work. I can hardly wait.

spirothet
06-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Johannes, I too have been waiting for the streaming video to be available. I missed part of last Saturday's class because of unexpected company. I would like to catch up because of another commitment I will not be able to participate this Saturday as well. When can we expect the video? Thank you. Cali

Improv
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Johannes,

I went to the link to the streaming video and pdf file. However, it asks for a password, and I have no clue what password they are asking for! I am already a registered member of the ArtistsNetwork, but that password does not work.

If an email with password was sent when I signed up for the Essentials of Painting Buildings course, I no longer have it as my hard drive quit on me 5 days ago and my hd backup was corrupted.

Please advise.

Thanks

Doug B

sherrysherman
06-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Johannes,

I went to the link to the streaming video and pdf file. However, it asks for a password, and I have no clue what password they are asking for! I am already a registered member of the ArtistsNetwork, but that password does not work.

If an email with password was sent when I signed up for the Essentials of Painting Buildings course, I no longer have it as my hard drive quit on me 5 days ago and my hd backup was corrupted.

Please advise.

Thanks

Doug B
Doug, you just got an email today giving you the link to the streaming video and the pdf file, right? The password is given in that email. In case you missed it, it's..... NO! Just kidding. That email reminds us NOT to publicize or share the link or the password.

RainySea
06-10-2011, 01:07 PM
OH, YAY!!! I got my email this morning. THANK YOU!!!

Rosemarie
06-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Lucky you! I haven't got the email yet. It might be swimming over the atlantic ocean! :)

Improv
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Doug, you just got an email today giving you the link to the streaming video and the pdf file, right? The password is given in that email.

Thanks, Sherry! :o

I must be going blind in my old age! :wink2:

That's what I get for drinking two cups of coffee then speed reading my email.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Doug

Improv
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Lucky you! I haven't got the email yet. It might be swimming over the atlantic ocean! :)

We have a snail mail strike by our Canadian Post office, but I swera even the email is arriving slower! :lol:

Cheers

Doug

spirothet
06-10-2011, 01:44 PM
JOHANNES,
Today, I just received the streaming video from lesson #1. Just before the break, you demonstrated how when painting a building in the 3/4 position, the shadow should be on the left and the facade of the building should be a brighter color. My question is with the reference photo you used, what about the shadow that is in the front of the house cast by the dormer on the roof? How do you change the shadows in general? I'm not that experienced to be able to play with shadows. Is there a rule of thumb regarding shadows? I look forward to your answer! Thanks, Cali

emjp
06-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I have decorative art acrylic paints-could I use them for a watercolor painting?

jillmc3
06-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow, will we need to have any supplies ready for a paint along???

Thanks and see you online! :wave:

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow, will we need to have any supplies ready for a paint along???

Thanks and see you online! :wave:
No you dont need supplies for the class.

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I have decorative art acrylic paints-could I use them for a watercolor painting?
Acrylics can be used as watercolor yes.

Johannes Instructor
06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
JOHANNES,
Today, I just received the streaming video from lesson #1. Just before the break, you demonstrated how when painting a building in the 3/4 position, the shadow should be on the left and the facade of the building should be a brighter color. My question is with the reference photo you used, what about the shadow that is in the front of the house cast by the dormer on the roof? How do you change the shadows in general? I'm not that experienced to be able to play with shadows. Is there a rule of thumb regarding shadows? I look forward to your answer! Thanks, Cali
If we place the light on the wrong side of the house it will draw the eye to that side. If the photo shows this light reversed then you chnage it. There is this preconceived idea that we need to respect the photo for some reason. I call this photo dictatorship. Please take the freedom to change the photo altogether. I tend to always show a longer façade in my buildings. I avoid the division of a plane change to go thru the middle. Also I prefer to show the longer façade to be sunlit. I suggest one side of your building should be darker than the other to create the 3D box effect. This photo, even though it makes a good reference has the sunlight hitting the wrong side. That you would change. If left as is would draw the eye to the smaller facade. If you see the picture below.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2011/135220-IMG_1073.JPG

robertsloan2
06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Yayy! I just got my email! Okay, so I didn't check my email till late today, but I just downloaded the PDF. Great joy contemplating the beautiful PDF with all of Jo's great examples. Thank you, Johannes!

This rocks. Purring and happy and looking forward to tomorrow's class.

Spirothet, if you have trouble figuring out where the cast shadow would fall on the scene, there's a trick from an illustrator, James Gurney for it. Model the building with a kneaded eraser, just the general proportions, but add the dormer so you can see where its cast shadow falls too. This also would let you add a dormer or chimney or something by playing with the model if your building hasn't got one. Set up your table lamp as the sun. Put another little wad of kneaded eraser for the bush if you're going to put the bush in the painting.

Then move the "Sun" ie your lamp till it's at the right angle to light up the long side. You'll see a cast shadow on your table. Follow its contours. This works for any object you don't know what the cast shadow would look like, if you want to change the light and have an accurate cast shadow.

I've been changing light direction for a long time in my head and don't do this often, but if it's particularly tricky or I think the shadow would come out cool, I'll still do it sometimes. One of the thousand and one good reasons to keep a kneaded eraser handy while sketching. A little thumbnail done from a model can be a good secondary reference for the photo if you're concerned about realism.

I read about his using models in "Imaginative Realism" but it applies to less exotic things than dinosaurs and fantasy castles too. It'll work for anything. I've still got a whole series of photos I took of a little sauropod I modeled out of a kneaded eraser in different positions, with its cast shadows at different angles, sometime I'll do a good dino painting from it.

RainySea
06-11-2011, 01:24 AM
I was able to watch most (not quite all) of the video today. Wow, that tip about using the 3/4 profile on buildings and how the shadow should be is very cool. Makes perfect sense now that I heard and saw examples but it never would have occurred to me. I wonder if that side view/dimension factor can be applied to other subjects as well.

Rosemarie
06-11-2011, 03:05 AM
We have a snail mail strike by our Canadian Post office, but I swera even the email is arriving slower! :lol:

Cheers

Doug

Very effective strike, Doug! My email arrived during my sleep. It had time to dry before I saw it.:clap: :wave:

Improv
06-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Very effective strike, Doug! My email arrived during my sleep. It had time to dry before I saw it.:clap: :wave:

I just hate wet email! I promise next time that I'll use something in a liquin medium! :thumbsup: :wave:

Cheers

Doug

Johannes Instructor
06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
We are still taking registrations for the classes. Call your friends and invite them to join.
Here is the registration code:

http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wet-canvas-live-essentials-of-painting-buildings-with-johannes-vloothuis-w6039/?r=wclivesanl052511W6039&et_mid=505923&rid=2768408

saphhire
06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Please tell me how to access your seminar...

Do not post your email address here!

lonelm
06-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Sapphire have you registered for the webinar? I am emailing you

Rosemarie
06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
You have to register first. You have the link in Johannes' post above yours. When you have register and payed you will get an email with a link to click on to go to the meeting.

painter 55
06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I was not able to get into the Webinar on Saturday. This is the very first time I've had difficulty in all the Landscape and now this building class. What happened? I tried and retried, rebooted, restarted, etc. No luck! What happened?

Improv
06-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I was not able to get into the Webinar on Saturday. This is the very first time I've had difficulty in all the Landscape and now this building class. What happened? I tried and retried, rebooted, restarted, etc. No luck! What happened?

I am having the same problem here. I have been trying since 1/2 an hour before it started. I would say it was busy, but this morning Johannes emailed us that there were still spots available.

What is going on?????

painter 55
06-11-2011, 02:03 PM
I followed the specific email address he gave to us in his recent email on how to get into the Webinar--no results! I am waiting to see if the Live cam is working and entered that through his email. Nothing yet.

lonelm
06-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Sorry not sure why. It is working for sure.

Improv
06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry not sure why. It is working for sure.

I did that already-for the last hour and a bit. Still no connection!:rolleyes:

painter 55
06-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Oh well, today was a loss of time. No class, no live cam. Now I can only hope that I can stream his second class through the link he provided.

Improv
06-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Oh well, today was a loss of time. No class, no live cam. Now I can only hope that I can stream his second class through the link he provided.
I know what you mean-a real waste of time. However while I was waiting/trying to connect, I found a plein air painter named Michael Chesney Johnson's web site. He also has downloadable videos and books on plein air painting at a very reasonable cost.

http://www.michaelchesleyjohnson.com/html/book.htm

At least those videos are downloadable! :rolleyes:

painter 55
06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
When you can get into Vloothuis's classes there is no better teacher. He illustrates and points out everything he is teaching and repeats which is so necessary for learning. I am not giving up on JV but I do wonder what happened for a few of us--many people got into the Webinar today. I registered before it ever started but there was absolutely no way for me to get into it today. Not so for most others, I guess. When I finally "got" something on live webcam it was chatting but nothing else about today's class so I know there was a class and I totally missed it!

Improv
06-11-2011, 02:48 PM
When you can get into Vloothuis's classes there is no better teacher. He illustrates and points out everything he is teaching and repeats which is so necessary for learning. I am not giving up on JV but I do wonder what happened for a few of us--many people got into the Webinar today. I registered before it ever started but there was absolutely no way for me to get into it today. Not so for most others, I guess. When I finally "got" something on live webcam it was chatting but nothing else about today's class so I know there was a class and I totally missed it!

I hope you didn't think I was questioning JV's teaching abilities, I wasn't. Merely expressing my frustration at not being able to connect and view what I wanted to learn and what I paid for. I know that this session will be available later in the week, but it is a let down when you can't see it today. If anyone is to blame, it's not JV, it's GoTo Meeting.

BTW-my mention of Michael Chesney Johnson's web site was only to point out that my time was not totally lost waiting to connect to this webinar.

Cheers

Doug

lonelm
06-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Please do not post links to videos here

lonelm
06-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I realize that but you need to remove the links to the video you put in myr messages as they are for private viewing only.

Grainne
06-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Yes, you need to delete those links immediately before your edit time runs out!

painter 55
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok, it took me over 2 hours but I got into the Webinar after many futile attempts. I also had to re-do my Java and use the entire number (18 digits)as a password to get into the Webinar. It was the string of numbers in his email. The class was running late so I did get about 20 minutes of what would have been live stream but it was actually shown in the Webinar for the final hour. I now look forward to getting the entire class as it looks like several of us missed a really good class.

painter 55
06-11-2011, 03:50 PM
I hope you didn't think I was questioning JV's teaching abilities, I wasn't. Merely expressing my frustration at not being able to connect and view what I wanted to learn and what I paid for. I know that this session will be available later in the week, but it is a let down when you can't see it today. If anyone is to blame, it's not JV, it's GoTo Meeting.

BTW-my mention of Michael Chesney Johnson's web site was only to point out that my time was not totally lost waiting to connect to this webinar.

Cheers

Doug
I was not offended. I was reassured that others were having difficulty getting in besides me. Not a second thought about it.

sherrysherman
06-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Thank you for replying....I am on this week's class, it is the PDF files and viewing last week's 6/4 class that i am unable to access. I went to the link in the email
, but it will not accept any pass word that i have or my webnar id. I can log into WetCanvas just fine, so have no idea what to do????? :crying:

SWEETME, YOU SHOULD DELETE THESE THREE POSTS. JOHANNES HAS ASKED THAT WE NOT POST THIS LINK. (i guess you can't delete it, but at least EDIT it so you remove the link.)

Carol(SA)
06-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Johannes, thank you for yet another wonderfully enlightening class. You are an incredible teacher. By the way, I did comment on the way you fixed my fence - maybe it came in the wrong place as this may also do :( but I said "Wow, yes, very cool, thank you I will take it back to the easel)

sherrysherman
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you for replying....I am on this week's class, it is the PDF files and viewing last week's 6/4 class that i am unable to access. I went to the link in the email
, but it will not accept any pass word that i have or my webnar id. I can log into WetCanvas just fine, so have no idea what to do????? :crying:

Sweetme, the password is in the email that contains the link.

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT POST EITHER THE LINK OR THE PASSWORD HERE ON WC OR ON ANY PUBLIC FORUM.

sherrysherman
06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Thank you for the replies. I have no problems with the Webnar and viewed the 2 classes just fine. I can NOT though get access with any known password to me or my Webnar ID at the site through ArtistsNetWork which is the link that allows access to the PDF files and the viewing of last weeks class. I have no problem logging into WetCanvas, but the link sent by email does not take it or anything???? Again, yes i paid, yes i registered, yes i have access to classes via the Webnar, BUT NOT the PDF files or past class viewing.
Thanx for any help and God bless
:eek:
Have you EDITED all of the posts where you posted the link? Please do that, I think you have one left (#159).

You may have missed my post above. The password is in the email that gave you the link.

lonelm
06-11-2011, 04:00 PM
SweetMe try copy and pasting for both the URL and the password when you get in and see if that works for you. Or try a different browser.

SweetMe
06-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Well Sherry:angel:, I feel like a fool, am a fool, and should try reading the whole email message before going off into stupidland. Please except my humbleness at causing all this time wasting. Yeah, i did get in, thank you.
May God bless you and yours

sherrysherman
06-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Well Sherry:angel:, I feel like a fool, am a fool, and should try reading the whole email message before going off into stupidland. Please except my humbleness at causing all this time wasting. Yeah, i did get in, thank you.
May God bless you and yours
Ah yes, Stupidland. One of my favorite places to visit. Just as long as we don't spend our lives there, right? Actually, you're not the only one who didn't see the password.

Thanks for editing those posts. Wanting to respect Joe's wishes.

robertsloan2
06-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Johannes, I agree with you that seeing the video slowed to frames while you explained it was even more helpful than just watching the video would be. It rocked! Thank you for a great class.

My mind is brimming with ideas - going to have to choose a good landscape with building to use for my homework. Very tempted to choose a bridge instead of a house, I always liked those stone bridges in paintings.

BumpaBob
06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Jo:
Have to agree with Robert: today's technical adjustment worked fine. Your ability to stop and edit or make comments worked out for the best. My suggestion is to keep it simple as you did today. bob.c

Johannes Instructor
06-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi Jo:
Have to agree with Robert: today's technical adjustment worked fine. Your ability to stop and edit or make comments worked out for the best. My suggestion is to keep it simple as you did today. bob.c
Yes, absolutely. This is the way I will do if from now on. I loved the way I could go back to the photo and powerpoint presentation. The second part was just amazing how it all came together with the photoshop, powerpoint and streaming video like an orchestra! Wow that rocked. I nailed every single point the second hour.

Johannes Instructor
06-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Ah yes, Stupidland. One of my favorite places to visit. Just as long as we don't spend our lives there, right? Actually, you're not the only one who didn't see the password.

Thanks for editing those posts. Wanting to respect Joe's wishes.
I just think that it would not be fair that you paid for this and others would get it for free.

Amandine
06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
How do you do that Robert ? Posting your notes so rapidly after the lesson !! You're amazing :thumbsup:

Thank you so much. :wave:

Tarlo
06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Robert, many thanks for your notes.:clap: Afraid my poor attempts at note taking at 3am are woeful, they have too many melodic lines.

Best Wishes
Judy

oCDs01-711
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Robert, I am always absolutely amazed :eek: that your notes are available so quickly! I must say I enjoy them almost as much as Johannes' classes.:D Your quick sketches are astonishing. You are VERY fast. I can see how you have said that you think your sketching is getting even better from taking these notes. You have talent with your drawing and a gift of sharing with us! Not everyone would do that. We know that because you are the only one doing it for us! It's a nice little tidbit of review after the class, and a definite "touch of class!" Thank you, thank you, thank you.:thumbsup:

nougat
06-12-2011, 12:33 AM
loved the webinar!! had a hairy moment when the live cam would not work!!
thank you :)

Rosemarie
06-12-2011, 01:42 AM

The class was working as usual. We didn't see the Livecam but will get the video when we get the streaming class version.

It is probably the Internet connections that is slow coming to you. Check when you have problems on http://www.speedtest.net/ how fast or slow the connection is.

robertsloan2
06-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Thank you! I've gotten so used to taking those notes that as soon as class is over, I put them on the scanner and post. I do that anytime I draw too so that doesn't seem like I'm doing anything special to post them that fast.

And yeah, I have improved enormously. All I have to do is go back a few months to my earlier notes to see the difference. I'm getting a lot more confident about my ability to illustrate art lessons too, the sketches are coming out a lot better than they used to.

nougat
06-12-2011, 08:28 AM
my thanks too robert. your notes are invaluable.

sylvia
06-12-2011, 03:57 PM
OK Robert! where have u posted those notes? I guess I join the stupid clan this week I cant find them and am waiting (im)patiently for the PDF! loved this class. Phyllis

spudsmom
06-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Robert,

I'm so thankful for you note taking. Since the spring class ended, I fell and fractured my wrist. The dr has me in a cast up over my elbow. Given my situation I just can't do things quickly so your notes are a Godsend. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sherri

3 weeks down...4 or more to go

Rosemarie
06-12-2011, 04:05 PM
OK Robert! where have u posted those notes? I guess I join the stupid clan this week I cant find them and am waiting (im)patiently for the PDF! loved this class. Phyllis
It is in Roberts class notes, last page.

robertsloan2
06-12-2011, 05:32 PM
They are in my old notes thread, the sticky one. Last post is this weekend's notes. Previous post is the previous week's Buildings notes. So glad you're enjoying them, Sherri, Nougat and Sylvia!

sylvia
06-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Thank you Robert. I found the notes. Phyllis

Amandine
06-14-2011, 12:55 PM
New video for lesson 2 is already on line. Great ! But, does anyone know where is video for lesson 1 ? It's not on Artist Network / Essential of Painting Buildings page any more. I wanted to watch it during my lunch time but ... :(

lonelm
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Regarding the Lesson 2 video

I went on to have a look at the newest video too and just did a quick play to make sure it was working OK. I noticed there is a skip happening at the :56 mark and goes on until the 1:01 mark. Picture is fine just audio is skipping. Talking about fence posts.

I am working on fixing it and we will have the repaired version up as soon as we can but for now the rest appears to be quite watchable. I always do a quick run through after editing but because we are trying to get them to you as soon as we can it is a bit rushed so final proofing will be with you folks. If you want to let me know of any other spots that do that I will work at fixing them as well. As for getting Lesson 1 up again, we have made that request as well.

Rosemarie
06-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Regarding the Lesson 2 video

I went on to have a look at the newest video too and just did a quick play to make sure it was working OK. I noticed there is a skip happening at the :56 mark and goes on until the 1:01 mark. Picture is fine just audio is skipping. Talking about fence posts.

Judy, there is a similar problem earlier also, about 30 min. Can't remember the exact time though.

It would be good it late registers can see earlier videos too, but you are maybe not the person to turn to?

lonelm
06-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Judy, there is a similar problem earlier also, about 30 min. Can't remember the exact time though.

It would be good it late registers can see earlier videos too, but you are maybe not the person to turn to?

Yes I found that one as well. I think those are the only two but I am doing the entire first half audio again. For now it at least gets it to you. We are looking into the Lesson 1 situation as well and are working with F&W on an answer to it. As for the audio issues I will certainly fix them up but for now you at least have most of it. I guess it is not always good to rush but I really wanted you all to get it as soon as possible. :wink2:

Rosemarie
06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Judy, I think you do a terrific work with the recordings. Thank you!

Amandine
06-14-2011, 07:52 PM
As for getting Lesson 1 up again, we have made that request as well.

You're very helpful Judy. :thumbsup: Thank you so much.

robertsloan2
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Judy, thank you so much for doing this! Your editing the videos is wonderful.

lonelm
06-14-2011, 09:17 PM
It is my pleasure. I am so enjoying Johannes' wonderful instruction and content. The video editing allow me to absorb the material during the run throughs. :clap:

So much wonderful information and we are all improving in our art because of it. I always enjoy seeing what he has up his sleeve for the next week and the great submissions homework brings. :thumbsup:

I thank you Robert for pointing me to these wonderful classes in the first place and of course your perfect notes just add icing to the yummy cake Jo cooks up each week. I am so happy F&W decided to do it this way. It puts a bit more pressure on getting the videos out quickly and thus not completely mistake proof but I think more important to make them available. All a learning curve I guess.

nougat
06-15-2011, 04:02 AM
you're doing a great job!!
i've just downloaded the second pdf - will watch the clip later. the clip of the first lesson is in the list (of 2) below the viewer.

to be honest i wish i could download them and have them available offline...

lonelm
06-15-2011, 06:21 AM
You have a sharp eye. It is so subtle I didn't even see there is a list to click on. So the mystery of the disappearing lesson has been solved. :clap::clap:
Thank you

you're doing a great job!!
i've just downloaded the second pdf - will watch the clip later. the clip of the first lesson is in the list (of 2) below the viewer.

to be honest i wish i could download them and have them available offline...

pamshowcase
06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Have all emails been sent for week 2 video? Didn't get it yet...looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for the good work, Pam

Amandine
06-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Just went on the site of Artist Network for a quick check and, at the botton of the screen, there's now a list of the lessons (that wasn't there yesterday around 12:30) where we can chose the one we want to watch. Again, thank you Judy. I'm sure we owe this improvement to your caring. :thumbsup:

painter 55
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I missed Saturday's class as I couldn't get into the live program. Today, my password does nothing at Artists Network. Are you using all 18 digits of the password JV gave us? I get nothing when I put in my password. any help would be appreciated--I am wearing on this issue. Are any of you able to get in and see the lessons on Artists Network today? thanks.

Rosemarie
06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I missed Saturday's class as I couldn't get into the live program. Today, my password does nothing at Artists Network. Are you using all 18 digits of the password JV gave us? I get nothing when I put in my password. any help would be appreciated--I am wearing on this issue. thanks.
No, the 18 digits is for the Go to Webinar meeting.

Have you gotten a email from Johannes Vloothuis, NOT Wetcanvas live, in your mailbox? In that letter you'll see the password if you read carefully.

painter 55
06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks, I'll look again.

painter 55
06-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I've looked through what I have received. I only have one password repeated over and over. What day did he send an email specifically for these videos--do you know?

Rosemarie
06-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I've looked through what I have received. I only have one password repeated over and over. What day did he send an email specifically for these videos--do you know?

I got it the 11th June. but it could be the 10 th also. I got mine about 7 hours after some one happily announced that he got his email for the buildings class. I have also heard that there are people who hasn't received the email.
If you have made a through search on your computer and can't find a letter from Johannes PM him here in Wetcanvas and tell him your problem.

painter 55
06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Hello. Thanks for your help. Had to get "it" from the man himself. Watched the beginning of the 2nd class but there are still sound problems part way into it.

Johannes Instructor
06-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Good you were able to access the page.

nougat
06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
You have a sharp eye. It is so subtle I didn't even see there is a list to click on. So the mystery of the disappearing lesson has been solved. :clap::clap:
Thank you
:) glad i could help :)

nougat
06-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Have all emails been sent for week 2 video? Didn't get it yet...looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for the good work, Pam
i didn't get an email either - i went to look when it was mentioned here.

shbezaire
06-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Hi Johannes and fellow students,
I am driving to NYC to see my daughter this coming Saturday and thought I'd give the blue tooth capacity in my new high mileage car a try. So, here's hoping I can access your email message on my I-phone, click on the link and route it to the radio speaker to listen to it as I roll along I 80. What did we do before we had all this technology????

Have a great class,
Susi
www.SusiHavensBezaire.com

lonelm
06-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Jo is responsible for looking into it. Another thing he does to care for us.

Johannes Instructor
06-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi Johannes and fellow students,
I am driving to NYC to see my daughter this coming Saturday and thought I'd give the blue tooth capacity in my new high mileage car a try. So, here's hoping I can access your email message on my I-phone, click on the link and route it to the radio speaker to listen to it as I roll along I 80. What did we do before we had all this technology????

Have a great class,
Susi
www.SusiHavensBezaire.com (http://www.SusiHavensBezaire.com)
You don't need another link. It does not change each class. It is a universal link applicable to every Saturday.

Johannes Instructor
06-15-2011, 09:03 PM
We will not be sending you emails every time a new PDF file or a recorded class is posted. You all know where the material is. All you have to do is check periodically to see if the next lesson was posted. We will try to get it Wednesday or Thursday.

hewill4giveu
06-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Johannes there are a number of us who did not get a link this week. I deleted the first one because every time you had a class before it would send a link. Is there anyway to get the link again so we can save it. I know several of us have the same issue. I didnt know to save it sorry don't mean to be a pain.

Colorix
06-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Anybody know what to do when there is no audio on the streaming recording? I get in (have the password), I find it, I see it, but only images -- no sound.

lonelm
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Charlie I assume you have checked your computer settings. On the player itself there is an icon of a speaker. Click on that and make sure it is turned up. That is the only thing I can think it could be. I just checked it and it does have sound.

Judy

Anybody know what to do when there is no audio on the streaming recording? I get in (have the password), I find it, I see it, but only images -- no sound.

Johannes Instructor
06-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Check to see if you have sound thru youtube exactly the same time the video plays. That way you discard it would be a local issue.

IrmaH322
06-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Johannes I have sound, the problem is that in two different areas the video keeps playing but the sound repeats the same words even when you are showing other things.
The first area is when you are talking about stone walls and showing some drawings of them the first phrases are repeated until it gets to some flowers in watercolor. Everything goes fine until it reaches the explanation about distances between fence posts, it repeats those words until it gets to create gradient planes, then it is OK to the end.
I have no problems with youtube and the video of the first lesson is perfect.
Should I contact North Light?

painterted
06-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Johannes I have sound, the problem is that in two different areas the video keeps playing but the sound repeats the same words even when you are showing other things.
The first area is when you are talking about stone walls and showing some drawings of them the first phrases are repeated until it gets to some flowers in watercolor. Everything goes fine until it reaches the explanation about distances between fence posts, it repeats those words until it gets to create gradient planes, then it is OK to the end.

I found the same problem.

ted

Colorix
06-17-2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks, today it works. One of those inexplicable computer mysteries. (Had sound everywhere else, yesterday, except the streaming lesson.)

lonelm
06-17-2011, 07:05 AM

This audio problem occurred during export and we have fixed it and submitted the revision which should be up soon. We apologize for any inconvenience. This is one of the things that will occur when we have such a short turnaround but I would rather see you have 95% of the video to watch immediately than have to wait for them. :)

Johannes Instructor
06-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Didn't you all know my day job is being a rapper? I thought I would give you a little taste in that video. LOL!!

painterted
06-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Didn't you all know my day job is being a rapper? I thought I would give you a little taste in that video. LOL!!

I think that you had better stick to painting, you are much better at that.

ted

IrmaH322
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Yes Johannes stick to painting, with rapping we miss your beautiful voice.:clap:

painter 55
06-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah...he's been rapping since message 185, when it was first noticed. Glad they report it is fixed now. I'll go back in today and listen to it in those skipped/rapper areas. ha ha

lonelm
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
It does need to wend its way through cyberspace so not sure when it will be switched out. I have been checking and it is still showing the skipping version but if you find it changed please post here so everyone knows.

julm
06-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Johannes, I downloaded Lesson 1 but deleted the e-mail with the site instructions. Would you tell me what site to go to to download Lesson 2.

oCDs01-711
06-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Johannes or anyone out there--I hate to be a wet blanket, but how is everyone getting to the videos to rewatch them? I've been waiting for an email with a link as we were told and haven't received one yet. Then I tried going to the artistsnetwork and don't see anything to click on, then went to northlightshop and put in my account number but couldn't access it from there. I'm stumped! Can someone tell me where to go, please???

oCDs01-711
06-18-2011, 12:43 AM
I beg everyone's pardon for the message above. Of course, I received it. Just couldn't find it until now! I'm so sorry to clog the site with another message. Sorry, Johannes.

Johannes Instructor
06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Johannes, I downloaded Lesson 1 but deleted the e-mail with the site instructions. Would you tell me what site to go to to download Lesson 2.
Please email me to get the student access page instructions
[email protected]

robertsloan2
06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm all excited and stoked up for today's class. Sketchbook has been located and put in reach, also Tombow pens and Pigma Microns. Can't wait!

So I'm logged in already watching you create the text on the PDF before class. lol

Better that than try to get in late and find it already full!

robertsloan2
06-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Notes scanned, done and posted! Remember, comment to them here even if you're just thanking me so that thread stays clean and easy to leaf through.

Class was incredible today, Johannes. Thank you so much - and thank you for staying late talking about still lifes and oil painting textures and all those other lovely off-topic topics. I'm all hyped up to paint!

painter 55
06-18-2011, 06:33 PM
We shouldn't have any difficulty in getting into these classes as we have our ID number which allows us access. I would think we could arrive late to class and still get in, barring issues with our server connections and pc's. Our 'seat' is reserved--right?

Johannes Instructor
06-18-2011, 07:01 PM
We shouldn't have any difficulty in getting into these classes as we have our ID number which allows us access. I would think we could arrive late to class and still get in, barring issues with our server connections and pc's. Our 'seat' is reserved--right?
Yes your seat is guaranteed no matter what time you log in.

IrmaH322
06-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Johannes thank you for the 2 hours after class, they were priceless,

tuscanni
06-18-2011, 10:08 PM
all I can is.....WOW!!!!!
Johannes......thankyou soooooooooooooooooooooo much for the extra time that you spent with us after the webinar today. I was hanging on every word you were saying, before, during and after the webinar.
I would have stayed in the webinar as long as you cared to chat with us. Talking to a fellow artist, or should I say listening to you talk and answering some of our questions, its the most enjoyable hours that I have or will spend during the week.
I know that I am just one person and one person doesnt make much of a difference, but I wanted to let you know what a great and fantastic impact you make on mine and I am sure others, artistic lives.
You said that you love us all...well, we love you too.
Thanks for helping make visual art IMPORTANT!!!
I hope that I will become a better artist through your teachings.
ANN

sherrysherman
06-18-2011, 11:26 PM
all I can is.....WOW!!!!!
Johannes......thankyou soooooooooooooooooooooo much for the extra time that you spent with us after the webinar today. I was hanging on every word you were saying, before, during and after the webinar.
I would have stayed in the webinar as long as you cared to chat with us. Talking to a fellow artist, or should I say listening to you talk and answering some of our questions, its the most enjoyable hours that I have or will spend during the week.
I know that I am just one person and one person doesnt make much of a difference, but I wanted to let you know what a great and fantastic impact you make on mine and I am sure others, artistic lives.
You said that you love us all...well, we love you too.
Thanks for helping make visual art IMPORTANT!!!
I hope that I will become a better artist through your teachings.
ANN
Yeah. What she said. :)

And CONGRATULATIONS on your (almost) deal with F&W! We can say "we knew you when."

momokev
06-19-2011, 08:01 AM
I missed week 2's lesson and have been waiting and waiting for the link to arrive in my email. Have I missed it somehow?

Lisa

painter 55
06-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I wish I would have heard about the "almost deal" with F&W. Sorry I couldn't sit and chat after class. I am thankful to have had the months with Johannes in the Landscapes from photos and now the buildings course. I hope Johannes can continue to bring us top notch teaching via computer. I learned so much from his Landscapes course that I am finding flaws not only in my previous works but those of others--silently, of course. I now know when a painting "works" or doesn't. How refreshing, after all these years.

momokev
06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Has everyone gotten this lesson but me? Was I the only one that was missed?

gardenart
06-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Yesterday was awesome.The class is always great but the after class discussion was priceless. Like chatting with other artsy friends. I love the excitement that you put into your teaching and in art in general Johannes.I am almost finished with the painting from the picture I submitted last week. I know I have a long way to go but I can see a big improvement in my work as can others. Thanks you.
Sue

Johannes Instructor
06-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I missed week 2's lesson and have been waiting and waiting for the link to arrive in my email. Have I missed it somehow?

Lisa
It is the same link every Saturday so just use the one you used the first time.

nougat
06-20-2011, 08:41 AM
me too!! i loved the class and the discussion later was wonderful. even tho i was mostly quiet i was very attentive :) - given the time difference it was midnight before i got to bed!!!
good luck that the f&w deal comes through!

ecloudy
06-20-2011, 04:42 PM
hello.
I was unable to attend the seminar live this weekend, and from all the comments am very sad I missed it. When do you anticipate posting the stream of it online?
Also, how is it that people are able to chat with Johannes? Is it through the little pop up screen that comes on when you are in the live webinar?
Thanks.

LLeone
06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
This is last week's homework being submitted late:o

Also, I accidentally loaded it in the week 1 homework thread, so here it is again.

-crop the grass (perhaps the sky as well, although, I like the branches)
-remove much of the 'junk' in front of the barn - ladder, white bits
-put a window in the interior to show depth
-move the wheelbarrow in front of the barn
-make the roof lines 'sag'
-red door is focal point, so blur edges
- paint only a 'hint' of the boards
-reflect the colours within the shadows

sherrysherman
06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
hello.
Also, how is it that people are able to chat with Johannes? Is it through the little pop up screen that comes on when you are in the live webinar?
Thanks.
Yeah, the little pop-up screen where you can enter questions. During class, Joe's son Kenny is answering the audience questions as they come across - or at least as many as he can get to, while Joe is focused on his own powerpoint slides and other images he is showing us or drawing.

After class, however, Joe himself is reading the comments and questions as they come across. That allows him to answer questions and talk directly to anyone who has posted anything. He can see the names of the people who post questions and comments, so you'll hear him address someone by name. But no one can see anyone else's comments or questions, unless Joe chooses to make it visible to everyone (which he doesn't usually do).

tedzart
06-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Johannes:
I have not received the email with the pdf for either the 2nd or 3th class. I did attend the 2nd class; but, I would still like the pdf and steaming video,also. Unfortunately, I will not be available for the 4th Sat. either. I feel so robbed. Really miss all the wonderful discussion and the extra time that you always give after the initial 2 hour class.
Hope you can help me in getting the materials for the Buildings sessions.
thanks,
Teddy
As usual, Roberts notes are wonderful.

Rosemarie
06-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Johannes:
I have not received the email with the pdf for either the 2nd or 3th class. I did attend the 2nd class; but, I would still like the pdf and steaming video,also. Unfortunately, I will not be available for the 4th Sat. either. I feel so robbed. Really miss all the wonderful discussion and the extra time that you always give after the initial 2 hour class.
thanks,
Teddy

Ted, did you get the first email? It is the same link. Non has gotten an email for 2nd and 3d class. Use the link from the first email.

Colorix
06-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Missed it too (the third time I've missed since December) because of a thing booked a year ago, and of course the talk *after* the lesson was *the thing*... isn't that typical? Oh, that's life, I'm glad to get the streaming recording of the actual lesson later.

All recordings and pdf are found through the link in the email we got around the 10th of June. Ask Johannes for the link if you missed it.

Johannes Instructor
06-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Johannes:
thanks,
Teddy
We are not sending emails about that because it will always be the same link as the first time.

dartistflame
06-21-2011, 02:07 PM
:thumbsup: I have really enjoyed every moment of these classes. This coming Saturday I hope I can get in even though I will be at least an hour or more late. My grandson is turning 2 and his parent's have decided to have his birthday party a long way from where we live (even in a neighboring state). I hope I can get in and not miss the last part of class and the time in the "after class". Every bit of information is addictive. I can't wait until you have a class on still lifes. Jo, Will you do any classes using the new atelier interactive acrylics????:clap:

Johannes Instructor
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
:thumbsup: I have really enjoyed every moment of these classes. This coming Saturday I hope I can get in even though I will be at least an hour or more late. My grandson is turning 2 and his parent's have decided to have his birthday party a long way from where we live (even in a neighboring state). I hope I can get in and not miss the last part of class and the time in the "after class". Every bit of information is addictive. I can't wait until you have a class on still lifes. Jo, Will you do any classes using the new atelier interactive acrylics????:clap:
The next class will include a watercolor demo. After that this mini course has ended.

Sienna black
06-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I missed the last classes, and I am not home. I tried to view the streamings from where I am staying, but I can't get it , not even the pdf file. I do put in the password I was given, but still can't get anything. I am so sorry that I missed the last 2 classes and I won't even be able to make it to this coming Saturday class. So viewing the videos, would be very helpful.

sherrysherman
06-22-2011, 12:36 AM
I missed the last classes, and I am not home. I tried to view the streamings from where I am staying, but I can't get it , not even the pdf file. I do put in the password I was given, but still can't get anything. I am so sorry that I missed the last 2 classes and I won't even be able to make it to this coming Saturday class. So viewing the videos, would be very helpful.
Have you been able to see or download from any of the weeks video and pdf?

lonelm
06-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Lesson 2 has been repaired and is finally uploaded to the site so you can now watch it without the audio problems so you can see the bits that had problems again. Lesson 3 is on its way. I will keep checking and let you know when I see it there unless someone else beats me to it.