PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Dry-Cafe May 29to June 4th

Charlie's Mum
05-29-2011, 01:04 PM
OK, Cafe is open, if a little late today!

Share the goodies around but leave some for even later-comers!!!:lol:

noodle1
05-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Maureen,

Thank you for starting us up again, for whatever reason I couldn't get my DSL up and running til now, know we had a storm during the night but didn't think it was bad enough to disrupt lines. I do apologize but had no way of letting anyone know.

Well I'm up and running now, a day late and a dollar short and just saying hello. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, parties, picnics or whatever.
We're just sitting and enjoying doing nothing today. Will catch ya all later..so long as connection stays around..my goodness.

Hugs,
Elaine

Lady Carol
05-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Elaine, don't worry about it. I suspect most have slept in. Tis a long weekend ya know :)

Knocking more off the honey do list - the garage is the thing being tackled this weekend e.g. great clean out and then a paint.

PattiLou
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
No big deal Elaine. Our excitement for the day has been watching the rivulets of rain run down the windshield of the motorhome.:lol: Oh well, now I am waiting on my fried chicken to be finished so I can stuff my face while thinking of a sunny day picnic.:D The food will be good anyway, but I kinda like the ambience of the sun and the warm glow. I will have to say that a week ago when we arrived in Sheridan the trees were bare. Now they have an inkling of new leaves with promise of more to come. And the grass is growing like weeds.

Was in snow yesterday. Day started out partly sunny so we decided to go for a drive. By the time we packed the Jeep the clouds were already moving in. We drove down to Buffalo and took the very scenic Highway 16. Had a few sprinkles but not enough to turn on the wipers. That was before it started snowing. There is a lot of snow up in the Big Horn mountains that has not melted.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2011/125378-IMG_8810w_WY_Sheridan_BigHornMtns.jpg
The further we went the more it snowed. Stopped for lunch and needless to say we ate in the Jeep right beside this next picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2011/125378-IMG_8814w_WY_Sheridan_BigHornMtns.jpg
The dark line in the lower left is the top rail of a fence. The sign says Visitors Welcome but we couldn't find an empty parking space.:evil: The snow was smooth and flat, no ripples and blinding. After lunch we turned around to go home. Although we have plenty of emergency stuff in the Jeep we didn't feel like getting stuck on a mountain in the snow.:lol:

Somebody send me a picture of the sun.... pleeeeeeese, or I won't recognize it when it finally appears.:D

PS: Edited to say the snow did not look pink in the middle before I uploaded, lol.

idylbrush
05-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Not a very good mood this evening.

Last year I donated a painting a very special painting to one of the local cancer organizations. It had very few stipulations attached to it the only thing that I asked was that if it was not used in the building that it be returned to me so I could donate it to another organization that might use it. I didn't think it was that big of a request

This cancer organization built a brand-new building which is absolutely magnificent. When I went out there to attend a few meetings I kept looking for my painting thinking it was there somewhere and I was just not seeing it well after about three months of looking I finally went to the director of operations and asked where it might be. Imagine my surprise when they told me that they didn't know, they actually had no idea where might be. They weren't sure if it was sold, given away, or thrown out. This painting was special to me. It is a painting that I painted halfway through my radiation therapy which had a persimmon and nine Golden squares. In the Buddhist tradition the nine golden squares are called the path of healing (see the connection), also in the Buddhist tradition the persimmon is called the fruit of transformation, it takes the bitter and makes it sweet (see the connection). For me it was significant. it infuriated me that they could not keep a simple promise.

At the moment knowing the whereabouts of that painting is very important to me. And no one out there seems to give a damn. I am honestly thinking of repainting it again just for the significance of it. Of course it will be totally different, and hopefully I would like to think it will be better. But at this point in time I really need that painting again, I need to connect to that painting.

Charlie's Mum
05-30-2011, 05:55 PM
They really don't deserve to have donations of any kind if that's all the respect they give donor and donation.

What a terrible attitude to show you!

RPut
05-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear Howard. Hope your painting is found.
Patti, beautiful picture of the mountains and clouds.

It was our 20th anniversary yesterday! We went to open up the cabin, put the water in, cleaned a moldy fridge, a few beers with the neighbors and went for steaks across the lake. (in my seats--how romantic....)
Rainy and cold today, so came home.

Have baked two batches of chocolate chip cookies, a huge pot of chicken noodle soup and a loaf of pb sandwiches ready to take to the local sandbagging site. The city is preparing for major flooding in a few days after record breaking water releases from the Garrison dam. Our Lake Sakakaweabehind this dam is the 3rd largest man made lake in the US and is full to the brim. There is so much rain in Montana and snow melt which eventually all comes our way. It is looking very serious tho not the tragedies of other areas. At least we have time to prepare, but many many homes may be sitting in water for months to come. My home is not in danger, but am off to do my part and pitch in with sandbagging. Gotta go find gloves, shovel and a poncho!

noodle1
05-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Howard I find the whole thing totally disgraceful, would they have had sense enough to feel disgraced that they didn't know and said that humbly that would be something at least, not enough to be sure however and I know how you must have felt and feel. No words to express how very sorry I am or how disgusted I am with them. I agree with Maureen.

Patti you are not having the best weather so sorry. Mountains are majestic in the photo but still. :( I'd gladly send you a photo of sun but missed the opportunity yesterday and today it's raining again. If I see some I'll take a pix of it for you. My son is on a cruise with his family to Bermuda maybe he'll send me some I can share, weather is not being nice. Bet the chicken was good tho.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY RUTHIE...a little late I apologize but the same good wishes to you both with :heart: Stay safe kiddo!!!

Raymo my man where are you, yes I miss you...oh admitting that hurts..haha but I do.

Hello as well to all the gang just stopping in to say hi, lazy day here and I am not complaining...hahaha I will catch ya all tomorrow way past my bedtime..haha Nite Nite Raymo my man :heart:

Hugs all round,
Elaine

RPut
05-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Elaine! Typo---not 20-- it was our 29th on the 29th!!

idylbrush
05-31-2011, 06:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2011/36241-kitchenstuff.jpg

I don't think it would surprise anyone that I enjoy cooking. Yesterday I had to pick up some stretcher bars at Michael's Crafts and there was a Bed, Bath and Beyond next door. How could one possibly resist. Found the above.

There are measuring spoons for a pinch, a smidgen and a dash. A bottle cap assistant, and of course, a pickle fork.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2011/36241-redageratum.jpg
These are the first flowers of what was billed as a red ageratum. Personally it would pressing it to call it fuschia and purple/red
may be more appropriate.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2011/36241-caladium.jpg
The caladium bed is starting to look pretty good.

Some of you guys could share some of the rain ya know. Sure could use it here.

My raspberry cane is now almost 2 feet long and still growing. Very pleased with that. I am sure I am at the extreme high end of the growing zone for these guys. Just to get them going is a challenge.

Lady Carol
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
I am here to brag.... :D

we went to The Capitol Grill back in April and they were having a fundraiser for Share Our Strength, so bought the bottle of wine that donated money to the cause and we entered a draw for a print of the wine label. Well Craigie won! It is a really nice abstract by Patricia Timbrook. Each restaurant was raffling a copy so we got one of 50.

It looks much better full size than the label sized. It currently graces the wall between our kitchen and dining room and wonderfully compliments both rooms with the colours that she used for the label.

OkeeKat
05-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi all!!
Had a great long weekend with daughter and grandkids!!
back to work and hopefully the easel either tonight or tomorrow, so much to do yet.

Howard, sorry to hear how they treated your donation, I do hope they locate your painting. I hope you paint it again, if just for yourself It would be worth it!! lovely garden photos!
Ruthie, Congrats on your anniversary!!
Patti, Love the photos!! stay warm, Sending you some sunshine!!
Carol. congrats! How exciting!!!

idylbrush
06-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Today was one of those days it was busying no matter how I tried to look at it. I had to make several trips downtown for meetings. At the end of the day I deserved break and a little bit of a treat. I headed over to whole foods and picked up one of my favorite sweets I decided I would pick up a little bit of ground buffalo meat. Everybody keeps telling me it's about the best thing you come by because it is lean, flavorful, and tasting. I was going to try and buys some buffalo hot dogs but the sodium content was about five times higher than other hotdogs and being on a reduced sodium diet it just didn't make any sense. I did get my sweets and I did get some pomegranate balsamic vinegar glaze that I wanted to try on some chicken.

I got absolutely nothing done in the studio today and I mean absolutely nothing. I have somehow managed to put my staple gun in such a safe place that I can't find it and I am wanting to stretch another canvas but I don't want to buy another staple gun… The hunt continues.

OkeeKat
06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Long day work today, hope to paint tonight!!
Howard, Hope you find the staple gun!!

old_hobbyist
06-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Hey, Howard, when you give up looking for the staple gun and buy another, the odds are that you will put it right next to the one you couldn't find!

PattiLou
06-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Hey, thanks for the sunshine Kathie. We had two days in a row now. In fact, today is the first day I have not had a sweatshirt on in a long time. Things are improving in the valley, but the mountains are still full of snow. This time the Wasatch Mountains... we are in Salt Lake City and I will be visiting the Family History Center.

You know Howard, I bet your staple gun is in the last place you look for it.:D Must be catching... Jon has lost something he can't find and there is not much real estate in a motorhome to lose things. Somehow he manages though.

idylbrush
06-01-2011, 11:25 PM
May be time to go back to copper tacks and a hammer.

Shirl Parker
06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Howard, look for something else, then you'll find the staple gun.

idylbrush
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2011/36241-staplegun.jpg

All things happen for a reason, either good or bad, but, always for a reason. I have a painting that I, out of superstition, needed to start today. So I had a few things I needed to return to Staples and I wanted to pick up a thumb drive to put some important life documents on and write down the road is Home Depot. Not even a quarter-mile away. So I went into Home Depot and I found the above staple gun it's made by the same company that makes the one that I have been looking for for the last week or so it is about two thirds the size of the old gun uses a slightly smaller staple which in my case is good. I would think it to be fine for light to medium weight canvas. Since the piece I am doing is only 24 x 24" it was perfect. The price was perfect to $9.97 and the staples were $2.36 for the thousand of them. Has no case or anything fancy but it does have a neat little attachment that I can put on there and turn it into a tabletop paper stapler. The whole thing works for me.

Have a little bit of a rain storm come through last night and the garden is just eating it up. Weeding is becoming less and less. as things fill and it gives less space for the weeds. I also started using a new product that has a pre-emergent herbicide. Like that!

I haven't seen the Hummingbird in about three days now and I think they may be on their migration further north. It is always such a delight to see them here. I wait for their arrival every year.

Shirl Parker
06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Having bought a new one, Howard, you will definitely find your old one.

Shirl Parker
06-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Howard, at the cat house, one day I saw no fewer than 12 hummingbirds at the feeder on the side of the house. It was quite a treat.

Recently I saw one of these on my back patio.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2011/113427-RedCollarHummingbird.jpg

idylbrush
06-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Shirl, what a beauty that is. Spectacular ruby throat. WOW!

RPut
06-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Woo Hoo! That is some picture Shirl! Beautiful!!

I drove out of sweatshirt weather and am now in Kansas (it is hot and muggy here!) to deliver our Jeep Liberty to Robbie at Fort Riley. He is so glad to finally have a car!! Went out for dinner to Applebees, and will do some shopping and groceries tomorrow. (yeah! Mom's here to pay!) Sat. Robbie will drive me to Kansas City and I will fly home.
Am now enjoying a hotel night on my own--tho feeling bad for all the people working so hard at home on flood issues. The Missouri is suppose to be rising a foot a day for the next several days. Wonder wonder if the dikes and sandbag walls will hold for all the people(many friends) in those areas....
The river has been flowing so fast and is so overflowing that it is literally changing. The water has scoured out the decades of debris and sandbars are gone. I have a feeling it will be a different river when this is done.

idylbrush
06-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Sitting in preopvwaiting room. Bored, nervous, anxious. Thank goodness for good medications.

Sure wish I were in the studio instead of here.

OkeeKat
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
thinkin of you Howard and wishin things go well today!! :grouphug: Glad you had a nice day yesterday, nice staple gun!! I ALWAYS Pray to St. Anthony, Saying " Dear St. Anthony something is lost and can't be found, please help me look all around and around" Usually saying it over and over.....and dont you know it,... I usualy find what I lost within minutes!!

Ruthie, Yeah, enjoy your time with Robbie!!
Patti, Glad the sunshine worked!! Have fun!!
Shirl, ohh wow, what a gorgeous little Hummingbird, I love those little ones.. they are so tiny, NEVER Saw any in real life.. might just have to get me one of those feeders some day!!!

hi and hugs to all, was to tired last few nites, we nite I had the chills and nausea along with this sinus headache I had for two days... got dr to call me in some antibiotics for this sinus infection... then last night I did paint more and finished up the first painting I did at the workshop, I had to add in a little heron!!
Now to finish up the magnolia on blue!
went to the dentist today, lost filling last wk an food getting stuck, fixed that today, but need to go back on monday for checkup and see what else needs work, I know i have alot.. I put off going to dentist too many yrs.
so gota get it done!

Later all:wave: , going out later to get nails done. and then paint today!!

idylbrush
06-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Recovery going quite well. Tired but can't seem to sleep. Talk of one more test, that one could be a bit irritating.

OkeeKat
06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
oops old thread ... see new!

Raymo
06-06-2011, 04:17 PM
:music: Dooby dooby do :music:........