PDA

View Full Version : Red Tulips WIP

PainterDeb
05-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I painted this one a month or two ago, and it is almost done...

although I think the tulips still look like egg shells?? :( or maybe the composition is a little off?....any C&C appreciated! :)

11x14 on canvas

PattiLou
05-28-2011, 09:34 PM
I like the colors and composition. I think the flowers are a little stiff though, not like eggshells. :lol: Perhaps if you have a couple of them opening or open it would add a dimension. Still like it though.

PainterDeb
05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi Patti, thanks for your response! yes, they still look a little stiff and awkward, and not delicate like flower petals should look....

they were still in the bud stage when I painted them, but I will try opening up a few of them.....

thanks again! :)

Sonseeker
05-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh...I really like so many things about this. The colors. The perspective. The crop. The lighting. I do agree though that opening a few will help make it more interesting. The tulips have a bit to much sameness. Please post your finished piece. I'd love to see it.

everwind
05-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Deb I really love the colors and comp beautiful. I get what you are saying and here is a thought. The tulips look a little thick, the petals not quite as delicate as some I have seen. I am by no means a tulip expert so if they are fleshy like that ignore this comment. Just thought it might change the eggshell effect you spoke of if they were more delicate looking.
Jackie

ladypainter
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
I love this piece. I do agree that the flowers look a bit heavy and maybe need to be opened up a bit. Lovely colors in this painting. The background color is wonderful too.

PainterDeb
05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Patti, Thanks for the compliments! I have been working on it a bit more today, will def post a photo when I am finished with it.

Jackie, You are right about the petals, thanks for the feedback! I am working to make the edges a little thinner, I think that will help.

Elinor, Thanks for your comments! I am opening them up a little also, I think it will improve them.

chammi kaiser
05-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Deb. I like this. Personally, I think the closed flowers work well against the soft unfocused background and the texture of the pot. Would not change a thing.

PainterDeb
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Chammi, Unfortunately I have worked some more on this piece, and I think I've ruined it! the tulip on the lower right kept growing bigger and bigger and then looked like a venus fly trap, so I painted it out and just have a leaf there now. Plus I fiddled with the tulips, and then overworked the background...:(

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry last evening, I was so frustrated with it! so I am going to put it away for a bit, and find a good reference photo that I can copy from, instead of trying to pull things out of thin air.

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them! :)