PDA

View Full Version : Copy Exercise of Rossetti's 'Lady Lilith'

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
05-28-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2011/98607-bill.jpg I have been away from WetCanvas do to some health issues with my heart. My heart doctor says that my heart is in much better condition -- actually it is in better condition that it has been in since 2005 -- so I have returned to painting. Last year I had a chance to go to the Wilmington Museum of Art in Wilmington, Delaware on vacation with my son and his family while there I was able to see Rossetti's 'Lady Lilith'. This painting and many more of Rossetti's were on display. The museum has quite a large Rossetti collection along with some other members of the PRB. Here is a copy exercise I am working of Rossetti's 'Lady Lilith'. I am also working on my own version of 'Cosmopolitan Lilith' too, using my late wife as the image for Lilith. It is still a work in progress.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2011/98607-bill-03.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2011/98607-bill-02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2011/98607-100_4414.JPG Please note, I have changed this painting from a white satin dress to a red one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2011/98607-Cosmos_Lilith_3_05-11-11.jpg
I have been trying to achieve the glowing skin found in so many of the Masters paintings, Rubens, Caravaggio and/or Rembrandt. I will keep updating as these two paintings progress. I am also working on a Religious genre painting I call 'The Gift' where the young 18 Jesus is rescuing the lost lamb. It too is a work in progress. I have about ten new canvases going in different stages of development as of now.

LGHumphrey
05-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Beautiful lovely romantic copy, Bill, well done.

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Thank you, It has taken me awhile to achieve this effect. Using a lot of delicate glazing technique of multi-layering. I discovered that Fine Liquin Detail by Winsor & Newton worked best for me mixed with a little linseed oil. My other Lilith, 'Cosmopolitan Lilith' is Painted in a more alla prima style. Although I am going back over it with some glazing to warm up the reds and deepen the the blue vase.

Marigold
05-31-2011, 03:36 AM
Hello William,

You are talking about the Delaware Museum of Art (http://www.delart.org/collections/preraph/), right?

Of all Art Museums that I have ever visited, this is one of my favorites :heart: . It is a very rare and stunning collection. Believe it or not, at least at the moment the Delaware Museum of Art is a better place to study the Pre-Raphaelite painters that even the Tate London. The Tate owns so many of those paintings but they don't put them on display, what a shame!

Rosettis Ladies must be difficult to copy. They are so unique and unmistakable, with their full lips, white skin and flowing red hair. The paintings are sometimes used as book covers and you can always tell it is a Rosetti. Your copy is very good, esp. the hair is painted beautifully. Your version appears a bit softer than Rosetti's, in some places his painting seems to have more contrast and to outline the shapes a bit stronger.

Thanks for showing!
Susanne

8JANWAY12
06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
hi these are so amazing very beatiful work from paula

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
06-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes, I have a friend, Lane Tutor, who taught art at Northwest (in Senatobia, MS...its a Community College) for twenty five years, who saw the ones in Tate Gallery in London, but he hasn't been up this way to see the Delaware Art Museum or the PRB collection there. He was always talking about what he saw in Europe, mostly Paris and London, when he was an art student in the early 1970s; that was when I met Lane was 1973. he taught me Art History and painting in 1986, but that is another story for another day. suffice it to say, I like what they have on display at The Delaware Museum. They also have some of Howard Pyle's beautiful paintings. I thank Frank Frazetta was an admire of his. I wanted to get up to the Frazetta Museum last year but Frank died and everything just closed down.

I appreciate you taking the time out to critique my study. It isn't completely finished yet. I still want to give the hair some more fine glazing to make it warmer and more luxuriant. also I am adding just a bit more contrast to the flowers and other props in the painting. Rossetti was a genius when it came to layering his glazes. I have read a lot of different books on him and his models. They were all very human and very colorful for the Victorian Era. I wish Elizabeth, Lizzie, Siddal had not died so young a, her ainting was just starting to bloom. What do you think of Rossetti's painting, 'La Bella Mano'? It was the first Rossetti painting I saw first as I walked in the Rossetti part of the PRB Gallery. I was not prepared for how large it was. I had even read about it in my book, 'Dante Gabriel Rossetti' by Russel Ash, but I just had not fixed the size of that particular painting in my mind. I was too focused on seeing 'Lady Lilith'.

When were you up at the Delaware Art Museum? I was there last year around late July, and I want to go back again this year. I cannot get enough of Rossetti or Pyle.

Once again thanks for the comments.

bill k:clap:

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
06-02-2011, 05:47 PM
hi these are so amazing very beautiful work from paula Thanks for the encouraging words. Sometimes I know all of us arts need encouragement. I am my own worst critic. I fly toward heaven and fall back to earth. I am just so glad that Mother Earth is so understanding.

Once again, thank you, Paula.

bill k

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
06-02-2011, 06:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2011/98607-Bills_Lady_Lilith_05-08-11.jpg [/IMG] http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2011/98607-Liliths_Hands_05-08-11.jpg

I apologize for the glare on these two images the paint is still wet. I was trying to show the subtle change inbetween glazing applications. I still want to glaze the hair to a warmer red with out making it come out too orange- red. I think I will try a yellow glaze then go over that with a warm red glaze. Then I will have to take some very good photos of my painting so you can see how it is coming along.

I think the next Rossetti I am going to try and do is 'Veronica Veronese'. I love the way Rossetti handled the greens in it. So many nuances of warm and cool greens. I like the quote that the poet and friend of Rossetti, Swinburne, made which is in my book by Russel Ash: "'It was the marriage of the voices of nature and the soul -- the dawn of a mystical creation.'" I think that says it for a lot of Rossetti's pieces. Of course I am a bit pro-Rossetti, so you'll have to pardon my overindulgence in the man. I also happen to like: El Greco, Caravaggio, Rubens, David, Van Gogh, Chardin, Pyle, Frazetta, Dali, and Girlischi, they were all Masters of the Paint.

Here's to portrait painting Atelier!

bk

Marigold
06-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Hello Bill,

When were you up at the Delaware Art Museum? I was there last year around late July, and I want to go back again this year. I cannot get enough of Rossetti or Pyle.

I learned about this museum when I lived in PA, that was in 2006/7. At the time, the museum was under construction and the collection was traveling and I could not see it - much to my dissappointment. I moved back to Europe but last year I came back for a wedding, and I was determined to see it then, so I did, even though I could only squeeze in 50 Minutes on the way from the Airport.

I loved the collection. The paintings of the Pre-raphaelites are so engaging in their vivid storytelling and symbolism, and so lovely in their vibrant colors. I remember that I noticed the many different species of wild flowers they included in their paintings, all painted very lifelike and no doubt each flower with its own symbolism that we are no longer familiar with. I am an admirer of Millais' early works - the Delaware Museum has two, both very small paintings, which in their cold realism have a very unique quality that I find very intriguing. Another one that I loved was The Mother of Moses by Simeon Solomon: again beautiful storytelling, beautiful detail and composition, and I loved how he gave the women such great middle-eastern faces. The exhibited works by Burne-Jones, a painter that I had not been too excited about, had a surprising strength and presence when seen in person.

Rossetti was a genius when it came to layering his glazes. I have read a lot of different books on him and his models. They were all very human and very colorful for the Victorian Era. I wish Elizabeth, Lizzie, Siddal had not died so young a, her ainting was just starting to bloom. What do you think of Rossetti's painting, 'La Bella Mano'? It was the first Rossetti painting I saw first as I walked in the Rossetti part of the PRB Gallery. I was not prepared for how large it was. I had even read about it in my book, 'Dante Gabriel Rossetti' by Russel Ash, but I just had not fixed the size of that particular painting in my mind. I was too focused on seeing 'Lady Lilith'. You seem to have a deep admiration for Rosettis paintings, and judging by your copies a good understanding of his techniques as well :clap:. Unfortunately my visit to the museum was so short that I had no time to pay close attention to his painting technique. I know they have an unfinished painting that could have been very interesting in that respect. Of course I was more than impressed by the stunning large-sized paintings of his red-haired ladies. La Bello Mano I do not specifically remember :crying:. To me Veronica Veronese was the most impressive, and The Water Willow was my favorite because of its quiet simplicity. Do they have any of Rosettis watercolors? I have a soft spot for his watercolors, some of them are truly enchanting: but I have only seen them in books never in person.

Susanne

chan90
06-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Great stuff!