PDA

View Full Version : Water Colour Palette for Essentials of Painting Buildings ?

Improv
05-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi Johannes,

Could you please recommend colours for a Water Colour palette to use in your new Essentials of Painting Buildings webinar series?

My local Michael's has a 60% off sale til this weekend on Winsor & Newton Artists Water Colours. I figure that it's as good an excuse as any to stock up! :-)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Doug

margie..stew
05-26-2011, 08:22 PM
I already am committed to something on the first two Saturdays. Would it be worth my while to take this course and use the videos that come with it, since I can't be on line for the first two? Love the art work of buildings and it sounds like an excellent course. I like the style. Is there a book that can be ordered? Thank you, Margie

Improv
05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I already am committed to something on the first two Saturdays. Would it be worth my while to take this course and use the videos that come with it, since I can't be on line for the first two? Love the art work of buildings and it sounds like an excellent course. I like the style. Is there a book that can be ordered? Thank you, Margie

Off topic-please post in the appropriate thread, not here!

robertsloan2
05-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Doug, my best guess would be the colours he recommended for a basic watercolour palette in the last course.

Winsor & Newton Yellow Ochre Pale
W&N Transparent Yellow
Indian Red
French Ultramarine
Burnt Sienna
Viridian
Cadmium Yellow Medium
Cadmium Red medium
A warm greenish blue like Prussian Blue or Pthalo Blue. Pthalo has very high tinting strength so don't use much. It's "Winsor Blue Green Shade" in Winsor & Newton brand.

Some extras:
Dioxazine Violet is a convenience color for mixing and glazes to mute greens
Quinacridone Gold glazes unify foliage
Permanent Rose might be useful
Paynes Grey (a cold dark)
Burnt Umber (a warm dark)
Cerulean blue
Cobalt blue

I hope I haven't left off something important. I think Viridian was on the "extras" list rather than the "needed" list but he uses it all the time. He might have had Alizarin Crimson on his basic list too. He said Sap Green was only useful in flower painting.

Margie, anyone who's got problems attending can get the lessons streaming in their own time zone once registered, so I'd say it's worth it.

Hope my guesswork is right on the watercolour palette. These are colours I remember his using in previous watercolour demos. I might have made the essentials list too long. I know W&N Transparent Yellow was one of teh primaries, Indian Red was on it and French Ultramarine or Ultramarine Blue was an essential along with burnt sienna.

Improv
05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Doug, my best guess would be the colours he recommended for a basic watercolour palette in the last course.

Winsor & Newton Yellow Ochre Pale
W&N Transparent Yellow
Indian Red
French Ultramarine
Burnt Sienna
Viridian
Cadmium Yellow Medium
Cadmium Red medium
A warm greenish blue like Prussian Blue or Pthalo Blue. Pthalo has very high tinting strength so don't use much. It's "Winsor Blue Green Shade" in Winsor & Newton brand.

Some extras:
Dioxazine Violet is a convenience color for mixing and glazes to mute greens
Quinacridone Gold glazes unify foliage
Permanent Rose might be useful
Paynes Grey (a cold dark)
Burnt Umber (a warm dark)
Cerulean blue
Cobalt blue

I hope I haven't left off something important. I think Viridian was on the "extras" list rather than the "needed" list but he uses it all the time. He might have had Alizarin Crimson on his basic list too. He said Sap Green was only useful in flower painting.

Margie, anyone who's got problems attending can get the lessons streaming in their own time zone once registered, so I'd say it's worth it.

Hope my guesswork is right on the watercolour palette. These are colours I remember his using in previous watercolour demos. I might have made the essentials list too long. I know W&N Transparent Yellow was one of teh primaries, Indian Red was on it and French Ultramarine or Ultramarine Blue was an essential along with burnt sienna.
Thanks, Robert, most helpful as usual. Unless Johannes replies with some alterations, I'll go with your suggestions.

Do you remember if Johannes mentioned the palette in one specific week?

Cheers

Doug

Johannes Instructor
05-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes of course it is worth it. You will still be getting the entire course. Maybe FWMedia will not market it for purchasing the downloads because most of the students will have registered for the course. Anyone who pays the fee gets to watch all the classes either they be live or a streaming recording.

Johannes Instructor
05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Robert, most helpful as usual. Unless Johannes replies with some alterations, I'll go with your suggestions.

Do you remember if Johannes mentioned the palette in one specific week?

Cheers

Doug
I don't use payne's gray or burnt umber. They tend to muddy the colors. I use pernant rose for flowers and to glaze over greens to quiet them down.
That is not a specific palette for buildings. I use it for all landscapes. The extra colors indicated are almost never used.

Improv
05-27-2011, 02:02 AM
I don't use payne's gray or burnt umber. They tend to muddy the colors. I use pernant rose for flowers and to glaze over greens to quiet them down.
That is not a specific palette for buildings. I use it for all landscapes. The extra colors indicated are almost never used.

Thanks, Johannes! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Doug

robertsloan2
05-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Johannes! I'm glad I was able to remember your favorites. My guess was right about your not having a different palette for buildings, though I thought some flowers might come into scenes with buildings so put the extras in. Sorry I included a couple of my own favorites among the extras.

I see your point about muddying, when you keep a palette small there's a lot less to worry about with muddying!

Johannes Instructor
05-27-2011, 05:07 PM
here is a review of my palette. The ones above in previous posts are slightly off.

Yellow OchrePale
Cadmium Yellow
Indian Red
French Ultramarine
Burnt Sienna
Viridian
cadmium orange
Winsor Violet (Dioxazine) (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/winsor-violet-(dioxazine)/) for accents

For watercolour artists pigments not cotman

transparentyellow
ultramarine blue
indian red
raw sienna
burnt sienna
cobalt blue

I tend to usethese for special cases

For flowersand glazing- permanent rose
For glazing over worked foliage-Quinacridone Gold (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/quinacridone-gold/)
For accents and negative painting -Winsor Violet (Dioxazine) (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/winsor-violet-(dioxazine)/)
for extra punch in rocks = cerulean blue

Improv
05-27-2011, 07:46 PM
here is a review of my palette. The ones above in previous posts are slightly off.

Yellow Ochre Pale
Cadmium Yellow
Indian Red
French Ultramarine
Burnt Sienna
Viridian
cadmium orange
Winsor Violet (Dioxazine) (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/winsor-violet-%28dioxazine%29/) for accents

transparentyellow
ultramarine blue
indian red
raw sienna
burnt sienna
cobalt blue

For glazing over worked foliage-Quinacridone Gold (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/quinacridone-gold/)
For accents and negative painting -Winsor Violet (Dioxazine) (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/winsor-violet-%28dioxazine%29/)

Thanks Johanes, much appreciated. Tomorrow I'm off to make the rounds of our local art stores in Vancouver-Petrov's, Opus, Michaels and deSerres.

Sienna black
05-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey Johannes, I just registered for your course and I have to tell you, I am pleased with the format. I registered because, first of all, I love your classes, and also, I love the fact that I can watch on my own time if I miss a class. I really don't mind paying for the classes, you work very hard, and this way, you will be paid for your hard work. One question though, will we be able to watch the download over again, or only once?

oCDs01-711
05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Sienna, I just registered also. :clap: See you in class! :clap:

marionh
05-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Yes of course it is worth it. You will still be getting the entire course. Maybe FWMedia will not market it for purchasing the downloads because most of the students will have registered for the course. Anyone who pays the fee gets to watch all the classes either they be live or a streaming recording.

Sorry I am being a bit dense. What does a 'streaming recording' mean. Does it mean it is downloadable? (is that a word:lol: )

Improv
05-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Sorry I am being a bit dense. What does a 'streaming recording' mean. Does it mean it is downloadable? (is that a word:lol: )

No, a streaming video means 'as it happens' or in real time. You click on a link, and the video plays to your computer, then that's it, you don't actually download the video as a file to save and be played later.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Doug

Johannes Instructor
05-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Hey Johannes, I just registered for your course and I have to tell you, I am pleased with the format. I registered because, first of all, I love your classes, and also, I love the fact that I can watch on my own time if I miss a class. I really don't mind paying for the classes, you work very hard, and this way, you will be paid for your hard work. One question though, will we be able to watch the download over again, or only once?
You will be able to watch it as many times as you want. The last time I spoke to F&WMedia the intent was for those of you who missed classes to be able to watch it streaming which means the recording comes from their server and not from your hard drive. However this is the same thing as long as you get to play it.

oCDs01-711
05-28-2011, 01:27 PM
That sounds great! I'm looking forward to it. :clap: But if F&W wants to stream it, I guess there isn't anyway to record it, is there? :confused: :grouphug:

Johannes Instructor
05-28-2011, 03:27 PM
That sounds great! I'm looking forward to it. :clap: But if F&W wants to stream it, I guess there isn't anyway to record it, is there? :confused: :grouphug:
I don know if the ever plan to have the classes available other than for streaming like they do with the other videos they have.

firesignart
05-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I registered for the class but missed it, my Saturdays are quite busy this month. I thought I could watch it later but can't figure out how or where to find the link to do this...or even where to post this question...

J.Lloyd
05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi - I don't think you've missed any of the new classes as they don't begin until Saturday, June 4th.

Joan

robertsloan2
05-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Yellow OchrePale
Cadmium Yellow
Indian Red
French Ultramarine
Burnt Sienna
Viridian
cadmium orange
Winsor Violet (Dioxazine) (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/winsor-violet-(dioxazine)/) for accents

transparentyellow
ultramarine blue
indian red
raw sienna
burnt sienna
cobalt blue

For accents and negative painting -Winsor Violet (Dioxazine) (http://www.winsornewton.com/products/water-colours/artists-water-colour/colour-chart/winsor-violet-(dioxazine)/)

Thank you! I had some colors from your oils palette mixed up with your watercolor palette. Now you know why I take copious notes, my mind is like a steel trap. It mangles anything that gets into it. I also have too many jellybeans in my watercolor palette, but I like them anyway and that's part of my personal style.

I organize my colors by type and hue so that's what I use all the tons of extra colors for, but you've taught me the importance of a simple palette. Also the beauty of Indian Red and the importance of Cobalt Blue. I replaced my Cobalt Blue recently because of your classes.

This time after class I'm not going to rely on my dried-in palettes. I'll get out those tubes and set up my palette fresh when I'm ready to paint, use your palette technique of the island and the moat. If I start with an empty folding palette, then I won't have to worry about the jelly beans getting in the way.

firesignart
05-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi - I don't think you've missed any of the new classes as they don't begin until Saturday, June 4th.

Joan

Hey thanks, silly me...
Nanci

Jean50
05-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks all of you for your questions (some of which I didn't think to ask) and your answers. I am so excited, can hardly wait. I love to paint buildings and old houses. I have always painted them in oils and have wanted to use watercolor. How timely Johannes, Thank you. You are a wonderful teacher.

Jean

Obion
05-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Johannes, I have registered for your course Painting Building. I love your classes, and have learnt so much, and being able to watch it when ever if I miss a class, which I dont think I will. One question though. Will there be note post out to us for this. Barbara (NZ) :-)

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Johannes, I have registered for your course Painting Building. I love your classes, and have learnt so much, and being able to watch it when ever if I miss a class, which I dont think I will. One question though. Will there be note post out to us for this. Barbara (NZ) :-) You will be getting handouts via email.

Sienna black
05-29-2011, 10:13 PM
You will be able to watch it as many times as you want. The last time I spoke to F&WMedia the intent was for those of you who missed classes to be able to watch it streaming which means the recording comes from their server and not from your hard drive. However this is the same thing as long as you get to play it.

Thank Jo, will we be given instructions on how to get the streaming?

hewill4giveu
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I posted the question in the other forum guess i got my answer here. must say a little disappointed we cant have a copy of our own for our files. Would rather not have to go on line when i want to see it . As if i camp or some where i cannot get wifi i wont be able to see it. But im still glad for the classes and opportunity sure is better than nothing thats for sure. Have totally missed the classes the last few months.

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Thank Jo, will we be given instructions on how to get the streaming?
Yes.

nougat
05-31-2011, 12:08 AM
i agree with hewill. its not always convenient for me to be online.

Kenots
01-29-2012, 02:53 PM
I posted the question in the other forum guess i got my answer here. must say a little disappointed we cant have a copy of our own for our files. Would rather not have to go on line when i want to see it . As if i camp or some where i cannot get wifi i wont be able to see it. But im still glad for the classes and opportunity sure is better than nothing thats for sure. Have totally missed the classes the last few months.
All you have to do is highlight the list in this forum, right click COPY - open word and right click PASTE - then print it out.