PDA

View Full Version : Gretchen wirehaired dachshund

Halo
05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I've been way behind on painting as on April 1, my Hallie went suddenly blind overnight with SARDs. It's been a rough adjustment for us both especially since it happened so fast. We flew with her to Iowa State University last month to a Dr who has been researching and experimenting with treatments for this but he was gone for 3 weeks, so by the time we were able to get in to see him, it was too late her eyes were too damaged. :( Anyway getting back to work and just finished "Gretchen" 8 x 10 acrylic on gessoboard.

granddad
05-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Really Beautiful painting!!! james

vapsman88
05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow! That painting is amazing, love the texture on the nose.

~John

FarmGirl29
05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree. This is amazing! I love the fur and the nose. Great Job!

yorkhorse
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
That has got to be one of the best renditions of fur ever. Wow.

stalksthedawn
05-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

The painting is gorgeous!

'NotherNan
05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the trouble. But this is a gorgeous painting! Love the various textures-and particularly the way the fur is rendered around the neck area. Very impressive!

pancho
05-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. This is amazing expression...so much love poured into this painting.

VENKAT
05-27-2011, 12:09 AM
This is marvelous . This shows mastery over the medium . The rendering of the nose invites attention. What better way than this to express the love to the mute animal.

Venkat

Jayde
05-27-2011, 03:40 AM
That is a beautiful portrait!

PatrickHedges
05-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Aaargh!!! Devastated about your dog. I feel like I know Hallie and I've even done one portrait of her :(

Love your painting here though, as I always do!

snowfall
05-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Exquisite painting! Absolutely beautiful. Sorry to hear about your dog.

Pam

birdlady
05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
my heart still hurts for you and Hallie and had really hoped coming here would have turned out better Dee Dee. So sorry we didnt get to meet. Please give Hallie a scritch for me.

NOW for this painting. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOzy its stunning and your talent just glows within it. I need to look into this gessoboard since many of my commissions have been out of state and shipping canvas is harder for me to do. I am so in love with how you have done the nose and the eyes..they keep drawing me in. The fur , well , cant get any better then that.

Laurie

Orchid Lady
05-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Sorry to hear about Hallie...she and you will have a big adjustment to make, but I'm sure she can still lead a happy life (just different)!
The fur on your painting has such depth and dimension! Really gorgeous!

coastside_artist
05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Wow! What an amazing painting. Awesome!

03ahmed
05-27-2011, 02:00 PM
So sorry to hear about Hallie.

This is an awesome piece though!

RainySea
05-27-2011, 02:15 PM
that is really beautifully done. . . amazing fur, lovely color. Love it.

John Palmer Fine Art
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Absolutely stunning in every way Dee Dee, I'm off to look at more of your work!
John

Phranque
05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Hallie's blindness. Dogs are incredibly resiliant and rely mostly on their sense of smell, I'm sure she'll get on as she adjusts. Perhaps use some essential oils on pieces of furniture or walls so she can get accustomed.

Lovely portrait, Gretchen looks like a real sweetie.

lilbelle
05-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Fabulous job on the fur and nose and such beautiful eyes, so realistic and beautifully painted!

Halo
05-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks so much both for the nice comments on Gretchen and encouragement for Hallie. I am trying to keep her life as normal as possible, we go somewhere every day, go on our walks the best we can, this week so far she's been to a wedding with me and visited a Monastery in Oregon, and went to a family thing. She seems to be doing quite well and enjoying it all but of course things are way different than they were a month and a half ago. But I'm really proud of her and wish I were accepting this as well as she seems to be.

I have body pillows lined up all along the walls inside and blow up air mattresses (for swimming pools) attached to the outside corners and walls/fences she walks thru the most with me, Frank that is a great idea about the scents that is the last thing on my list I have to do yet, there are a few spots still in the house that I can't "pad" with pillows and I would like to apply the scents there. Today she found her toy pile and started to shake "big green turtle" which made me feel really good! I had just taught her to paint though and we were selling her paintings and donating proceeds to dachshund rescue so it's sad she can't do that (or any of her dozens of tricks etc) anymore. :(

winecountry
05-28-2011, 01:50 AM
so sorry about your darling dog....they are resilient, and I know she will adjust,
and still live a happy life with you...the painting is amazing

stirling
05-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Love it,fantastic detail,very realistic.

Best from mike.

lisapencil
05-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Wow fantastic work well done. Sorry to hear about Halle's vision but it sounds like she is adjusting well to her new situation. :thumbsup:

wildlifeart89
05-28-2011, 10:23 AM
So sorry about Hallie, that makes my heart ache!:( I'm glad to hear she is doing better about the situation though. This is really a beautiful painting, you've captured so much soul and I love the eyes. Really great job on the fur too, beautiful work!
Paige

tigress
05-28-2011, 08:13 PM
WOW!!! You are the master at doing fur. I will put this one in my favorites so I can look at it over and over again.

Nakiska
05-28-2011, 11:40 PM
My goodness, I think this is THE most beautiful dog painting I've ever seen!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog loosing her sight. I had a kitten that went blind over night, he adjusted well and was quite a hysterical little bugger. My horse is also almost fully blind now as well. I've owned her almost 17 years and she's 23 now. Lucky for us, this has been a gradual change and we've been adjusting together.

This painting you did is out of this world excellent! I think it's your best one!

Keep your chin up, blindess in your pet isn't the end, it's an adjustment for sure, but you'll bond differently, more specially then you ever thought possible.

Take care,

Toni

Nakiska
05-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks so much both for the nice comments on Gretchen and encouragement for Hallie. I am trying to keep her life as normal as possible, we go somewhere every day, go on our walks the best we can, this week so far she's been to a wedding with me and visited a Monastery in Oregon, and went to a family thing. She seems to be doing quite well and enjoying it all but of course things are way different than they were a month and a half ago. But I'm really proud of her and wish I were accepting this as well as she seems to be.

I have body pillows lined up all along the walls inside and blow up air mattresses (for swimming pools) attached to the outside corners and walls/fences she walks thru the most with me, Frank that is a great idea about the scents that is the last thing on my list I have to do yet, there are a few spots still in the house that I can't "pad" with pillows and I would like to apply the scents there. Today she found her toy pile and started to shake "big green turtle" which made me feel really good! I had just taught her to paint though and we were selling her paintings and donating proceeds to dachshund rescue so it's sad she can't do that (or any of her dozens of tricks etc) anymore. :(

I didn't see this post of yours before I posted my reply. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful here...but....what do you mean she won't be able to paint anymore? And her dozens of tricks? Okay, Okay...so you have to modify, get creative, use your voice, a clicker, or even bells, use touch and you'll be suprised at what you'll accomplish...sounds like she's a smart dog, together you'll get it...I know you will!:thumbsup:

;) Toni

dors
05-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Amazing piece. beautifully rendered.

Lexycat
05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Just incredibly beautiful, very photo realistic, yet still "painterly", not always easy to achieve, I can stare at this many times and see some new little nuance each time.....

appydax
05-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Lovely painting.
So sorry to hear about the sight problem.
I had mini wirehaired dachshunds with Lafora's which affected their vision and of course I have had a few blind ones too with probably zero vision due to the Lafora's and old age. The odd bump here and there but they all coped brilliantly and still had their walks and felt comfortable as long as they knew I was within reach by smell....tracking dogs extroardinaire :lol:
I think the best you can do is to keep furniture and routine as similar as you can and let the sense of smell guide them around. They really do seem to manage without much loss of confidence as long as you are around.

Sharron

skappy
05-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Awesome !
Robert

Barb'sArt
05-29-2011, 09:51 PM
So very sorry to hear about Hallie's vision problems...but she is a trooper, she'll do very well, especially with her Mum to guide her!

This painting is superb! one of the best i've seen! Congrats on this fabulous work!

indiana_jim
05-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Absolutely brilliant !, he is officially my new favorite color too.

alija1001
05-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Stunning.

chammi kaiser
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
A sad story and I am so sorry. A terrific artistic tribute to a beautiful little dog.

Silverknight
05-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!!

hunterpaul
05-30-2011, 05:23 PM
absolutely stunning, I keep coming back again and again to look at it

SueR
05-30-2011, 05:49 PM
So beautifully done!!!

Halo
05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the comments, you know how it is when you stare at something so long and you lose that "first impression" so start to question things.

I really appreciate the comments on Hallie too. I have been very careful to keep upbeat with her and she is teaching me a lot. I miss our lives before 2 months ago but she's showing me all the time all of the new things she can do. Thanks Toni, you are right and I am coming up with new tricks, etc but most of the old ones aren't safe for her anymore. The painting was with non toxic paint but I was still worried she would get some in her mouth, now that she can't see I am afraid she would try to hold the wrong end of the brush or something. I'm not sure if you can see this but here is a video of her painting if you would like to see.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=498339568266

She's better than her Mom!! :)

Antiqueteacher
05-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Dee Dee, impressive work on Gretchen!! Love it!! Sorry about your baby, but it looks like she is a survivor and will do well. Keep encouraging her and you two will be just fine!!

Katherine

Halo
05-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks Katherine!
Hallie is a little trooper, part of the time I'm feeling so sorry for her and the ohter part she amazes me. But yes I keep the encouragement and praising going all the time with her. :)