PDA

View Full Version : Spring Treasures

M Douglas
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
For the next while i'm going to be working with a limited palette, 8 colours & black & white, this might not be limited to some but when you are used to using every imaginable colour straight from the tube and have never learned colour mixing it's limited :lol: I'm also trying to work a little looser....success in this department is very slow lol

You can see more about that on my website blog or on my facebook page.

C & C always welcome
Melodie

Spring Treasure
Acrylic on board
8" x 10"

Sonseeker
05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
This is lovely. I like the style of this. Even though you say you are painting looser, it is very well rendered. The colors compliment each other so well and the composition is interesting, peaceful to me. Great work on the glass vase too!

Dcam
05-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Melodie: this is a little beauty. I really like the play of warm and cool in this and the dynamic composition.
Derek:)

PainterDeb
05-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi Melodie, Beautiful job on this painting!! (and great title)

Love the colors, and you have done a great job at detailing the petals while keeping the background loose....

(since you asked for C&C, I wonder if you could add just a hint of warmth/highlight to the COI tulip and maybe just a bit of white to the top rim of the glass?...)

M Douglas
05-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Patti thank you very much I love painting glass.

Derek, I think my composition has improved by taking so many photographs.

Deb, thank you for your comments, sorry COI? lol i'm racking my brain here trying to figure that out, in the meantime I can add a bit of white to the glass, i'm also thinking that maybe a bit more of a highlight on the water line.

Melodie

PainterDeb
05-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Connie, Sorry, I meant COI as center of interest, but I prob should have said the focal point tulip (not sure about the terminology?), I assumed you wanted the tulip on the right to be the focal point of the painting? it really draws the eye, and yet the green leaves behind it kind of tug me away a bit (bc of the warmer color)...not sure if that makes sense?

M Douglas
05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Deb lol it took me a bit but I finally figured it out, and yes that was the focal point so i'll look at warming it up a bit. Again thank you!

Melodie

PainterDeb
05-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi Melodie, that was jmho, it def looks great as it is! :thumbsup:

Mz_Sketch_Pad
05-25-2011, 07:41 PM
cool and vibrant

arl
05-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Lovely work.

lathadamle
05-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Very sweetly rendered. I found similar pic in RL. You have painted it elegantly.

ladypainter
05-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Lovely work

Charlie's Mum
05-26-2011, 05:29 PM
I like this - the colours particularly and the contrast of realistic and abstract shapes.

DominicM
05-26-2011, 06:02 PM
after working with 5 for this month, its an interesting challenge, I think the harmonies work better too...

Chia
05-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Melodie, this is a lovely soft rendering - has a pastel feel to it & definitely Spring-like. I like your choice of composition too. I'm really curious as to what colours you are choosing for your limited palette. I too, am a colour junkie but often wonder why I spend so much on paint when so many great colours can be mixed!

chammi kaiser
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I like it too. It has a clean, fresh look about it. Love the colours.

M Douglas
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. Sorry to be so slow in responding, for some reason I wasn't getting my notifications in my gmail.

Dominic I think 5 would be a real challenge did this include white & black or are they extra to the 5?

Coralie these are the colours i'm using

Palette = Black, burnt umber, burnt seinna, quinacridone red, cadmium red medium, cadmium yellow medium, cadmium yellow light, pthalo blue, ultra marine blue, & white.

In normal use I seldom use black, I prefer to use paynes grey but for this I will continue to use the black.

So far I've just done the limited palette on small paintings, not sure how it would work on larger projects if you have to remix a colour.

I read somewhere that there should be a value shift or slight change of colour from 1 sq inch to the next, so in that case if you can't get the remix right it wouldn't really matter.

Melodie