PDA

View Full Version : Inspiring?

bertschikon
05-25-2011, 06:19 AM
I thought some of you might be interested in seeing YouTube videos describing the work of a couple of artists who I have found to be particularly inspiring.

The first features Ben Johnson whose approach to his work resembles an industrial process that produces stunning artwork. Listen in particular to how long it might take to draw various parts of the scene. As an example his panorama of Liverpool to over four years to complete.

The second features Clive Head, an artist who lives in my home town of Scarborough. I find his work particularly exciting because of the way he manipulates the space in the painting. Because of this the final image is not one that could have been taken in one shot by a camera even though photographic images are used to provide detail used in the painting. More telling, I suppose, is that Clive Head produces a more painterly image than Ben Johnson whose images are more perfect but seem slightly sterile.
I found theses videos more effective if displayed full screen and even better if you have a high definition monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R-jH9bEeJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3bXNE11k8

ladypainter
05-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Fascinating work. I have seen Ben Johnson before and honestly am not crazy about his process in doing his work with many people working on it with the computers etc etc. Just doesnt "feel" like art to me but to each his own..Have not seen Clive Head and I must say his work is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

lathadamle
05-25-2011, 09:08 AM
God! Feeling dizzy at even the thought of such magnificent work. Stupendous :clap:. Thanks for sharing such an inspiring and motivating stuff.

bertschikon
05-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Elinor: I can empathise with your feeling about Ben Johnson's "process" and I must admit that until I saw the video I thought that the drawing was direct on the canvas and the painting was done with a brush. Nevertheless he says that his passion is the depiction of architecture and he is interested in the geometry of the scene so the use of computers is understandable in the context of accuracy. Working with a team is nothing new of course since it follows the practice of many old masters who employed teams of helpers. So while I admire his success in the production of stunningly accurate architectural images I do think that there is very little "life" or activity in them.

Latha: Glad you enjoyed the videos.

chammi kaiser
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Doug. Thanks for passing on these videos. I watched them both and personally Ben Johnson gives me the screaming heebie jeebies. It is just too perfect and precise and there is not way in the world that I could EVER
aspire to such architectural heights! He certainly is enthusiastic about his work (in a dry sort of way!!) Enjoyed Clive Head. Very impressed with his work.

bertschikon
05-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi Chammi, I hope that you have recovered from your attack of heebie jeebies! Ben Johnson's work is, as you say, too perfect but the thing that I admire about him is the effort that he puts in to achieve that degree of perfection. One of the outcomes is that the work tends to be lifeless and sterile and, like a photograph, it seems entirely 2D without the illusion of depth. But it does provide a highly accurate representation of a scene at a given point in time and that is, after all, what he is trying to achieve.