PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Sailing reworked

Sonseeker
05-24-2011, 02:57 PM
18x24 acrylic on canvas. To see reference and first posting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933757).
Thanks for your input.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2011/15660-Smooth_Sailing,_800x600_acrylic,_canvas,_c_2011_Patti_Rogers,_sailboat,_water,_spring,_72_ppi.jpg

barsha
05-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Patti, Such relaxing :)

Wassie
05-25-2011, 02:36 AM
I love the red hat. I like all of it but I noticed the red hat in particular.

arl
05-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Charming painting.

Sonseeker
05-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Thank you Ladies. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I checked out each of your websites and all of your work is different and accomplished in their own right. Fresh eyes from great artists help a lot! Thank you

solonite
05-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Very nice...love the freshness of your painting. Is this from a photo or your imagination? I want to sit in one of those chairs!

ladypainter
05-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Very nice work. You have a nice style about your work. .

Sonseeker
05-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks Susan and Elinor!
Susan - The reference picture and first posting is linked to above. I would love to hear your comments on the differences.
While I love the great comments!!!!....I would also like to learn from constructive crits. I'm always looking to improve and the Lord knows I have plenty of that to do ;-)

gaykir
05-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I love this - that red hat makes it!

Sonseeker
05-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks Gayle, I love the red hat too. There were other responses to the picture but they disappeared...What happened?

Sonseeker
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
The craziest thing has happened. It is like this thread disappeared and another one started exactly as I did above, but your replies are gone. But Gayle responded to that one and her comment is not here. Pretty wild stuff!

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Patti - I found your threads and merged them and now all replies are in this thread.:)
I also repaired the link to your WIP thread as it had 'broken' - another WC gremlin at mischievous play I fear!!!

When your WIP and final painting are close in dates/time, it's probably better to stick to the one thread and if you want the title editing just use the report button and one of us Mods will change it for you :D

I do think the improvements you made are good - it's a much brighter and inviting painting now - I'd rather like to be in one of those chairs - with the red hat, of course!:lol:

Dcam
05-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Wow: This sure brings in the spring in a nice way. Love your light and your lovely painting.
Derek:thumbsup:

PainterDeb
05-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi Patti, Very nice painting, you can almost smell the clean, crisp air!

I want to enjoy a picnic lunch in one of those chairs and just stare at the water.....

M Douglas
05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Beautiful painting Patti, I can feel the warmth and the gentle breeze.

Melodie

Sonseeker
05-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Maureen - Thanks for your help with this. This technical stuff still bumfuzzles me sometimes!

Derek, Deb, and Melodie - Thank you too. I appreciate your kindness.

Chia
05-27-2011, 02:13 AM
Hi Patti, this is a very pleasing work on many levels. There are definite improvements from the original, particularly punching up the red of that hat. You mention that you'd like some crits, so I offer up the following (to be taken with a grain of salt!): I think the comp might benefit from toning down the sailboat & softening the edges to push it into the background further (that is, if you want the hat to be the COI). I like the addition of shadows, but think that those cast by the birch trees would be more dappled - not quite so heavy. The clouds are delightfully light and you've done a good job of the water. My only other suggestion is to make the yellow flowers more random. If they are wild flowers they are more likely to be strewn over the hillside and sprouting in clumps. All in all though, a very nice painting!

lathadamle
05-27-2011, 02:40 AM
This is a great work :clap:. One can feel the smoothness of the sailing. Very pleasing colors.

Sonseeker
05-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Coralie - Thank you so much. I can definitely see what you mean and I agree. I can take care of the shadows of the birch trees and the flowers. How would I "soften" the sailboat? More blues in it to set it into the water more? Originally it was the COI but I wanted the hat for a punch of color. Would that make sense in the composition? I appreciate your thoughts.

Latha - Thank you for taking the time to stop by and commenting. I've never been sailing but I think I'd like to sometime!