PDA

View Full Version : Liquitex Basics

Wassie
05-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Does anyone have experience with Liquitex Basics Acrylic Color? I was wondering if they are okay for professional artists.

I bought some to paint memory boxes for the memory box artist program (memoryboxes.org) They are so soft and creamy. I love them but don't know how well they would do for painting on canvas, like what is their life expectancy or if there are any problems with them later on.

Patrick1
05-24-2011, 06:41 AM
I've used several Basics colors in the past. Like most other student grade acrylics, I've found a lot of the colors perfectly satisfactory, some not so much. For example I think it was the Basics 'Quinacridone Magenta' (PR122 pigment) that I tried several years ago that surprised me how light-valued it was even when dried - compared to others I've used. It was only PR122 pigment, no white. It couldn't mix the darks I was used to. But for brighter mixes it was okay. The 'hue' substitutes obviously won't be the same as the real thing (even more so in a student-grade line like this), but might still be okay for some - it depends on how you use it. Titanium White, Mars Black, Ultramarine Blue, and Neutral Grey Value 5 - I found to be fine if you don't expect artist-grade opacity. And like you mention, the lower viscosity can sometimes be a benefit. As for life expectancy - I don't know how the acrylic binder compares to others, but in terms of lightfastness it depends on the pigment. If possible, I try to avoid the less lightfast organic pigments in any paints I buy - student or artist grade, oils or acrylics. But I'll venture a guess that the Basics 'earth' pigments (titanium, natural & synthetic browns, Mars colors), will be fine in long-term lightfastness.

idylbrush
05-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Many professional artists use student grade paints. IMHO where you see the difference is in the pigments used and the pigment load. If the paint works for you and you are satisfied with the result, then my friend, this is the paint for you.

There are other brands where you can get larger quantities of paint for about the same price, Galleria comes to mind at the moment, NOVA is another brand that has great prices.

PattiLou
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
I started with Liquitex Heavy Body, which I still use. MY DH bought me a tube of Basics one time because it was a larger tube:lol: The color is fine... what I find different is that the paint is more 'fluid' than the heavy body and I couldn't get used to it. It is what works for you that matters.

I looked at your link for memory boxes... what a sweet idea.:thumbsup:

Wassie
05-25-2011, 02:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I wondered if Basics meant they were student grade.
I liked using them to paint the memory boxes. They didn't dry too fast, even with my ceiling fan on, and I could blend easily.

chammi kaiser
05-25-2011, 02:49 AM
I started out with Liquitex Basics and loved them. Had no problems but have moved on to Liquitex Heavy Bodied although I still use the Basics for glazing, backgrounds etc.