PDA

View Full Version : Brighten acrylics

Samboh
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm sure the answer to this on here somewhere. Please name an additive I can use to brighten acrylic paint colors.

Thanks,

Sam

Charlie's Mum
05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't use additives and find the paints bright enough!;)

Any ideas why you think yours aren't?
Do you add a lot of titanium white perhaps? ... or other chalky colours?
What quality paints are you using? .. the cheaper student and/or craft varieties may have less pigment and more filler - perhaps this could lead to dullness?

Other than that, a gloss medium may well help - and a gloss medium coating over the final layers will even out shine/dullness and the colours will appear brighter. :)

Have you tried acrylic inks? They are highly saturated and mostly transparent (not all) and so are very bright!

Samboh
05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't use additives and find the paints bright enough!;)

Any ideas why you think yours aren't?
Do you add a lot of titanium white perhaps? ... or other chalky colours?
What quality paints are you using? .. the cheaper student and/or craft varieties may have less pigment and more filler - perhaps this could lead to dullness?

Other than that, a gloss medium may well help - and a gloss medium coating over the final layers will even out shine/dullness and the colours will appear brighter. :)

Have you tried acrylic inks? They are highly saturated and mostly transparent (not all) and so are very bright!

Good tips. Thanks.

idylbrush
05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
You have failed to mention which brand you are using, sometimes, just sometimes, one brand has a brighter feel than another.

Most complain about them being to bright.