PDA

View Full Version : True Blue - Horse - Need Help! xpost cp

Shana1065
05-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Here is the latest painting I have been working on. This is colored pencil, 9" x 12" colorfix paper. I knew when I decided to do this one that it would be a challenge for me. The challenge I thought would be the bg, but it turned out to be the horse and the bg. It did not come out as realistic as I was hoping for. It looks animated which would be fine if that was my goal. :eek:

The first problem I had was with the tents, then when I got to the horse, it looked too blue. I worked the back half of the horse forever. I must have lightened and darkened this horse 10 different times. I used photoshop to check the color on the horse and tried to work it to match, but the horse just looked blue and not realistic. If anyone can help me with shadows on the white horse I would appreciate it. I also overworked the breeches. Again problem with actual color showing on photoshop and the color I see when looking at the photo. The color of the breeches showed grey, not yellow.

At this point I am using this painting as an experiment to learn, so all C&C welcome!

nickib
05-23-2011, 02:07 AM
It looks great to me!:clap: :clap: Nicki

stirling
05-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Looks very realistic Shana,just maybe bring those white highlights on the Horse out more and the lights on the Jacket and hat,will make the Horse and rider stand out more from the bg.

Best from mike.

Joe'sHottie
05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
The only thing I would do is darken the shadows on the horse - the shadow on the rider's jacket compared to the photo is great, but when I compare the same shadow value on the horse to the horse in the photo, the shadows are not near dark enough. IMHO, great piece as is, but I understand when you as the artist just aren't happy with something, and there's something nagging at you. Try a touch of purple or violet in the blue shadow and see if that helps. (Sometimes the last thing we would do it that which we should do first :)) God Bless.

Tanto
05-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I also think the horse need more contrast. I would tryb both Mikes and Angies advice. Darker shadows and brighter highlights, especiallly on the horse. Otherwise I think you have captured the scene very well.

/Tomas

jody007
05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Wow I think you are doing a beautiful job!
Jody

wildlifeart89
05-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Love this, I really like all the people and the details in the background.:) The horse is lovely, and I think you've done a fantastic job on the lighting!:D
Paige

FarmGirl29
05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I think it looks very good. I agree with the others on darkening the shadows of the horse and rider. It might not hurt to darken all the shadows a little.

Shana1065
05-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and great suggestions. I went back and worked the dirt a bit and made it a little more brown. I also darkened the shadows on the horse with a bit of paynes grey, indigo and purples. I also darkened up the jump poles a bit. Here is the finished painting.