PDA

View Full Version : Eating grass (elephant painting) X- Pastel

John B
05-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Hello All,

First I must thank 'Gravedad cero' for his reference photo on the RIL, I felt it such an unusual pose, I have cropped it to show more of the elephant.

I must admit that I found this image very relaxing to paint, I've painted it steadily for five days to this point, I think it must be so many earth tones. I don't think I've used so many browns in one painting.

This is painted on Acrylic board primed with Deep Black Colourfix primer (1 coat) on the real painting you can make out the texture of the canvas underneath, it gives it a nice effect.

I have finished, for now, as I do not want to overwork it, but I will look at it again in a few days or more.

The background shows up much brighter on the photo than it dose on the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2011/55768-Eating_Grass...jpg
Polychromos, Pitt pastel pencils, Sennelier and Rembrandt's on Colourfix primed Acrylic board, 24" x 18"

Kindest regards

John

solonite
05-22-2011, 07:46 AM
John this is lovely. You captured this giant perfectly. Isn't it nice to occasionally have a work that is relaxing to do!

PatrickHedges
05-22-2011, 07:49 AM
John, I'm mind-blown by this!! I really love what you've done here. And good size for the medium.

Seriously, WOW!!

Lisa M
05-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Beautiful, John!!

OcelotEyes
05-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh WOW!!! He is perfect and beautiful! (And from Kenya somewhere, yes? The elephants seem to be reddish there because of the dust.)
He is WONDERFUL. Seriously. The light, the wrinkles, the pose and that thoughtful elephant expression as he just casually munches and ponders the world around him - perfect!
(I love elephants, can you tell?)

Lexycat
05-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I thought this was the ref photo, honestly I was looking for the painting!!

Excellent work, and I really love the earthy tones of his hide, with the reddish hues.......

wildlifeart89
05-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Gorgeous, love the colors you've used, those earth browns are perfect. I keep scrolling up and down, I can't stop staring at this beautiful piece.:D You've achieved those wrinkles perfectly, and I love the shadows on the elephant. I also really like how this guy takes up the entire piece, it really shows off the size of those giants! The background is awesome as well! :clap:
Paige

snowfall
05-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Wonderful job on this, John!

Pam

John B
05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Susan yes it is nice to find a relaxing subject to paint, Patrick and Lisa thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.

Nadya, I share your love of elephants, you can probably tell that from the painting.

Lexycat and Paige, I think it was those earth browns and red dust that made it such a pleasure to paint, it's not often you get a chance to indulge in blending so many browns.

Pam thank you for your kind comments.

Kindest regards

John

tigress
05-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Great painting. The colours are very rich.

online art
05-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Absolutely love it. On my screen the shadow on the ear is completely black, I bet in real life you have a small amount of detail in it though???

stirling
05-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Lovely light in this one John,very well captured.

Best from mike.

lisapencil
05-23-2011, 01:44 PM
wow, I can't believe it's pastels incredible detail. I thought I was looking at a photo too. :clap:

jody007
05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Wow, I do love it!!!!!
Jody