PDA

View Full Version : Newark, NJ, downtown, about 1957

Rhodabird
05-20-2011, 07:01 PM
685608 This picture was painted in acrylics on canvas, 16x20,in atelier interactive artists acrylic. I received a dvd from an old friend with the most wonderful old pictures on it and had to paint this one. Memories of my mother and sister and me, being downtown Newark on Saturday, having lunch and shopping. Rhoda Schwartz

vensunn
05-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi Rhoda
This is a charming painting! I particularly like the little lady in her plastic raincoat who seems to be seriously looking for something in her purse while her companions on either side of her are patiently waiting.
All this convery with very little detail is such an accomplishment.
Steven

Rhodabird
05-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Steven, Thanks for commenting on this painting. I am retired and started painting about 5 years ago. I have just gotten the courage to post something on Wet Canvas. I am so pleased at your comments. Rhoda

everwind
05-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Love the vibe of this piece. Very, very nice. Well done
Jackie

DominicM
05-21-2011, 03:41 AM
your reflections are wonderful, welcome to the forum

arl
05-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Wonderful mood.

Faded
05-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Welcome Rhoda :) This piece really captures a time and place, great job on the reflections. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
-David

birdhs
05-21-2011, 02:36 PM
This has a soft, warm feeling to it. Sort of the softer side of city life, where people are civil and patient.

Great palette choice, I especially like the way the yellow cab color is continued across the center, unifying the painting. The foreground gentleman's greenish coat color pops up in several places, but not obviously or too much. The red/oranges work and the lightness of the brick building (instead of dark brick) keep the painting from being imbalanced.

I am curious about the reference painting, could you post it? If my instincts are correct (and knowledge of older cars) then this may be much later (mid-60's).

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye, Greg.

Rhodabird
05-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi Greg, Thanks for the critique. I would like to post the photo, but don't know how w/o starting a new thread. There is no paper clip above. Rhoda

birdhs
05-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Rhoda: Under this 'quick reply' box are two boxes, click on the one "Go Advanced" and it will open up more options for posting.

It is also where we get all the fun icons, too!:wave:

Greg:cool:

Charlie's Mum
05-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Glad you are posting Rhoda!
There is much that's good about this painting - the figures, the reflections the sense of rainy day - you've conveyed those very well.
I also like the overall colour scheme.

May I suggest you look more carefully at the buildings and the perspective? On the right, it's pretty good - it's those on the left where the lines of windows appear to go below the eye level where it needs more observation!

This will all come with practice though - and if you feel you need help, just shout :D

To add the ref, just post here, in the thread - if you want it moving to the first post I can do that for you. The Post Reply box is the best way - this Quick Reply is limited :)

Rhodabird
05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I asked my friend how to upload to an existing thread and she told me how to do it. So, here is the original photo. Rhodahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2011/199195-securedownload.jpeg

Rhodabird
05-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Thank you for your C&C and I see it right away. Don't know why I didn't see it myself. I will correct that. Rhoda

birdhs
05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2011/110200-ggco281.jpg

Here is a reference pix that shows a 1962 Dodge, as I suspected the taxi was.

Good artist to have painted this odd car design well enough for me to recognize it!
I am not sure what year the Ford is, but we know the picture is 1962 or newer.

Handwritten notes on photos help, but cars are always a sure indicator of an oldest possible date

Best :cat: Greg

bluefish
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
looks like the back of 'Bambergers' to me......Newark drafting supplies was right up the street.....

great photo and good job recreating some past memories....

'blue....'

Rhodabird
05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi Blue, You might be right. I thought it might be the side of Bams. I take it you are from Newark or close by. Rhoda

DonEc
05-27-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2011/110200-ggco281.jpg

Here is a reference pix that shows a 1962 Dodge, as I suspected the taxi was.

Good artist to have painted this odd car design well enough for me to recognize it!
I am not sure what year the Ford is, but we know the picture is 1962 or newer.

Handwritten notes on photos help, but cars are always a sure indicator of an oldest possible date

Best :cat: Greg The Valiant was introduced in 1959 as a 1960 model (http://www.valiant.org/plymouth/valiant-1960.html). So the picture could be from 1959 which is "about 1957" in relation to now.

Nayana
05-28-2011, 01:16 AM
nice composition, I like how in the painting the man in the forefront looks like he is looking at the viewer.

ladypainter
05-28-2011, 09:03 AM
I like this piece very much. Lots of mood and feeling in it.

usmcman
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
That is a great picture in so many ways...any chance you might have a few more "Newarkies" in you? It could be a heck of a series, especially since you are off to such a great start. Perhaps Newark Drafting Supplies might find their way in or even the Melody Bar and Grill further down on Market Street. No kidding, I think you are truly on to something here and I strongly encourage you to come up with a few more and post them here for us to admire.:clap:

bluefish
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
You could do Kresses down the street or Hahnes or even the pigeons in Military Park........and you have to include 'Down Neck'....:)

old_hobbyist
06-01-2011, 09:53 PM
By the time I was teaching at Newark College of Engineering in the late '60s, the downtown was mostly boarded up and was getting to be a pretty dangerous place to be at night.

Rhodabird
07-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I am looking for more Newark photo's. Has to be just right for me to do it. I appreciate your help. I am studying perspective now and when I get it right, I will continue painting buildings, but in the right way. Thanks again, Rhoda

Isn't it a shame that a wonderful shopping area like Newark has become so worn down. When I lived there, it was a great place to grow up.

bluefish
07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Rhoda

you could do the 'Newark Museum'.....'Ballentine House' next door, Military Park,or my very favorite dining establishment...'Nannia's-in-the-Park'(North Newark)......or Ferry Street, Iron Bound,etc.......so many memories.....

'blue....' :wave:

OkeeKat
07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Fabulous work!!
I agree about the far buildings windows, other then that its wonderful!!
Great work!

Rhodabird
08-04-2011, 12:37 PM
This same picture with building redone in hopefully good perspective. Let me know what you think.

Dcam
08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Rhoda: Love your painting. I attended the Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts on high street (above arts high) before going off to art college.
This is a wonderful painting and thanks for sharing.
:) derek

bluefish
08-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow Derek.......that school produced some of the finest illustrators in the country.......no wonder you are so good......(besides natural talent)......:)

joe galioto
08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
rhoda
love the painting and the fond memories it brings me.
i would have been 4 in 1957.
used to take the bus down bloomfield ave to go to all the stores with my mom.
bam's orbachs, kresge's etc
lunch in the basement of bam's hot dogs, orange aid & chocolate custard
still get down to neck (iron bound section) on occasion for the spainish & portuguese food
good times.....................................

Rrrorrk
08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
This is a wonderful painting