PDA

View Full Version : Plein air gouache

Studio-1-F
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Do you use a palette? And squeeze fresh paint onto it for each session and use it up? Or do you let the paint dry on the palette and re-wet? Or do you squeeze paint into the empty pans in a WC box?

Or what?

Advice please. Thank you!

Jan

siberart
05-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Good question. I have decided to try gouache for plein air instead of oil and would like to know also.

JamieWG
05-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Jan and Pat, as long as the old paint isn't cracked and flaking off the palette, what I do is to add fresh paint on top of the old. Eventually, I clean out all the old paint and replace it. If I know I'm going out ahead of time, I give the old paint a few squirts with a mister a few hours before. I also keep my gouache in an airtight Mejillo palette, so it doesn't dry out quickly.

Jamie

siberart
05-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Thank you Jamie. Sounds good to me.

Studio-1-F
05-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks, Jamie! I appreciate your reply and your (always!) good advice. :thumbsup: I am going to check out that airtight palette.

Jan

Old Tex
05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I do pretty much the same thing Jamie does. Occasionally, before I clean a pile out of the palette, I'll do a few little studies using washes. Makes me feel just slightly less wasteful. But there is waste, without a doubt.

siberart
05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Great advice all around. Thanks. I have my gouache plein air bag packed and ready to travel. The sun is shining but the temps are still low and boy is it windy. Hope to post some results soon.

Also, Jamie, I googled the Mejillo palette and the best reference was this forum and your above posting. Can you direct me to a site for it?

dledmunds
05-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I like using a disposable palette. I have learned to put out as much as I think I will need and keep adding to it. The dried paint can flake off and be hard to work with. I usually use that for a wash or mix it with fresh paint. You will always go through a lot of white, so I try and keep that separate and dab a bit into the colors I am trying to lighten.