PDA

View Full Version : Second scratchboard- first feline subjects

RunninMI
04-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Hi everyone! This is my 2nd scratchboard and the first time I've ever done feline subjects. This is a gift for my brother, of his 2 cats, Tator and Butters. Its 8" x 10", ampersand scratchboard. C & C welcome. I haven't sprayed it yet and after uploading it, thinking about scratching abit more on it (am thinking the fur looks a little mangy, need to scratch more to make it look softer). Originally I wanted to add color, but after the time involved thus far, I don't want to ruin it, and I do like it in black and white. It involved two different reference photos, different lighting in the photos and Butters is looking up in his reference shot. Debating if I should rework his eyes so he's looking straight on. Appreciate feedback.

Thanks for looking,
Trace

PatrickHedges
04-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Gee Trace, you are good! I think Butters' eyes look fine but moving them would be ok too. My only other feedback is do you need the light line on Butters right ear (our left) which looks like an outline rather than a highlight?

:)

artofnature
04-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Trace, this is a wonderful 2nd board. I love the fur, especially Tators. And the eyes are good.

One little thing you may want to look at is the bridge or V of the those on Tator. I think you should smooth it out a bit more as that V is really not that noticeable unless you get up real close. Because it is a dark V, it tends to look like a fold in the nose. Just lighten that V a little and it will look a bit straighter.

But overall, a fantastic start and looking forward to more scratchwork from you.:clap:

Harry Seymour
04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Great job and I agree with Patrick about the highlight.

Obedec
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Just lovely!

kodik9
04-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Beautiful job!

RunninMI
04-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Thank you, you guys! I'll correct that ear on Butters. In that reference pic, there was strong light coming from the right. Also will work on the V on the nose on Tator. Thanks for pointing those things out! It helps so much to have fresh eyes take a look and also I tend to notice things in my pieces when I view it on the computer.

Thanks for all the kind comments :)

Trace

Snuzin Susan
04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Love it! I like the fur. The first thing I thought when I saw this was how cat like the fur was actually. What this would really benefit from is you pushing your highlights just a step further. I brought this into photoshop to show you what I mean (I hope you don't mind). All I did was convert it to grayscale and used the dodge tool to brighten things up, especially the eyes. Keep up the great work!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2011/58995-cat_touch_up.jpg

-Susan

pamelalbd
04-23-2011, 01:49 AM
AHHHH hey Trace ...What a Great job! You really got the feel for this medium purdy darn quick! :D Fantastic work on the fur and as far as the eyes I like it as is! Lets see more!!!

caribouhills
04-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Trace you have done a spectacular job on your second board. You should be very proud of your work.

SammyH
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Trace, impressive second board. The fur is beautiful. It's a great gift and will be loved.

NancyPH
04-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Nice job, great fur! Really, only your second scratch art? Wow!

RunninMI
04-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Here's an update. And first I should apologize, I guess the first pic I uploaded is darker than what the actual piece is. I find it really hard to get a good pic of scratchboard art. This pic is closer to the actual piece. And again, after viewing it on the computer, I've noticed a couple other tweaks that need to be made. I need to darken Tator's 'eyebrows', just take the brightness down a tad and blend it into the surrounding fur alittle. Also, I did smooth out the 'V' on Tator's nose. I hadn't noticed that, hopefully what I did is an improvement. And Patrick, I did rework that ear, darkened that outline and did some scratching inside the ear. Thanks for pointing that out. Again, thanks for all the great comments and advice and help. Susan, I love what you did in photoshop, and I did brighten up the eyes. Hopefully this more accurate pic shows where I'm at a little better. Again, appreciate any feedback. Getting close to calling this done.

Thanks again,
Trace

artofnature
04-26-2011, 02:39 AM
WoW! Trace this is gorgeous with those few little tweeks. It was near perfect before though. I love cats and they lend themselves so well to scratchart. Tabby fur is not the easiest cat fur to do but you have done a lovely job on it. Maybe just to add the finishing touch you might like to add a little bit more highlight to the long ear fur inside the ear.

Oh yeah. It's very very close to done!!