PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard WIP

myorca
03-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi gang,

I have been posting a scratchboard of a rottweiler in the animal and wildlife forum if any of you are interested.

I have also been creating an animation of the work as it progresses. http://www.myorca.com/asia.htm This animation may take a little while to load so please be patient if you go look. I think it is worth the wait however to see it come to life. I expect this to take another 30- 40 hours or so to complete and will be updating the animation as I go along.

Hope everyone is doing good

Bob

lisilk
03-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Hi Bob. I love what I have seen of your work in the past and have seen some great examples in the animal forum. Here's the "duh" question. What are you scratching with ? Do you do a sketch first or would that ruin the board ? Are they " fixed" when you are finished ? Answer when you have time. It looks like something to try. ....like I need another medium.

Li

myorca
03-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Hi Li,

Thanks for the comments on my work!! :)

I use a straight pin with the head cut off, placed in an xacto knife holder. I do a rough sketch and transfer that to the board with either a regular ink pen which indents the board slightly, or I use wax paper to transfer the image onto the board. The wax paper method works like a dream in the transfer process but the trick is to make sure where the wax goes on, the scratches can take it back off. If there is a little wax left I use a blow dryer to heat up the surface and it seems to take care of it, but cant guarantee that it will work all the time.

When I am done with the piece I spray it with a clear fixative. You can either use a matte or gloss finish, but I have only used matte so far. I am going to try the gloss next time to see how it looks.

I use Ampersand's Claybord Black for my scratchboard. It is the first type I have used and love the results I get from it. Dick Blick, Hobby Lobby, Michaels all carry it.

Good luck!

Bob

lisilk
03-06-2003, 03:11 AM
Bob

Thanks for the quick reply and the great info. I'll send up a flare for help when I do have time to try this. I'll keep an eye out on your progress with the animation thread. Thanks for doing that !

Li

myorca
03-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Update on my scratchboard WIP