PDA

View Full Version : Life's Journey FINISHED

theBoardLady
04-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I need a bit of critque to this since I've been working on it for awhile. I haven't sprayed it so you'll see smudges. I see a couple of items I need to correct or improve but I want to know if you see the same things. This is my own photo reference and it's at Mission San Jose and it's an 11X14 Black Scratchboard with Ampersand inks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2011/123973-Stairway_to_Heaven.jpg

Crias
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Great textures Diane! We don't see enough of your work in here :D Was this a white board originally or black?

Obedec
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I like the fact that I do not focus on one spot but delight in looking at all the edges, nooks and crannies and every time I look, I find more to see. Great piece.

Rodman
04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
wonderful textures....is right. having not seen the ref. pic maybe i shouldn't say... i love the bottom of the stairs...i dont know whats going on toward the top...the steps seem to get lost....unless thats the way it looked. ??? i feel the volume of the room. what a challenging project... i can see why to wanted to do it. cool cool cool

theBoardLady
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Great textures Diane! We don't see enough of your work in here :D Was this a white board originally or black?

Thanks, Cathy and it's an 11X15 black scratch board.

Thanks Karen. I'm glad to hear it gives that effect.

wonderful textures....is right. having not seen the ref. pic maybe i shouldn't say... i love the bottom of the stairs...i dont know whats going on toward the top...the steps seem to get lost....unless thats the way it looked. ??? i feel the volume of the room. what a challenging project... i can see why to wanted to do it. cool cool cool

Thanks Rod. The stairs go up and around to our left to an open balconey. The end of the stairs is the ledge to the outside. Do I need to add more depth at the top of the stairs to make it look like it's going around to the outside? The original photo has a wrought iron gate at the foot of the stairs. People are not allowed anymore to climb those stairs but I didn't want to include in artwork. Here is a side view of Mission San Jose.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2011/123973-Mission_San_Jose.jpg

Snuzin Susan
04-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Great texture!

To fix the stairs I would just define the difference between the wall and path that curves around so you can tell they're 2 different surfaces on 2 different planes. Right now it reads the stairs going right into a wall, but it looks like they are meant to end in a path that curves around?

-Susan

Harry Seymour
04-19-2011, 08:05 PM
You've done a great job representing the textures and I love the steps. The top of the steps is less clearly defined. Susan has a nice suggestion for handling this issue.

theBoardLady
04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks, Harry

Great texture!

To fix the stairs I would just define the difference between the wall and path that curves around so you can tell they're 2 different surfaces on 2 different planes. Right now it reads the stairs going right into a wall, but it looks like they are meant to end in a path that curves around?

-Susan

Thanks, Susan. Here's an updated version. Thanks for the feedback now I'm off to work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2011/123973-Stairway_Panorama2.jpg

PatrickHedges
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Diane, I think this is tremendous. What a pleasure to see something so different.

On the top of the staircase, I assume that last bit going up and outside is a ramp with no stairs, and not having seen the reference, it is definitely the weakest part of this because it looks like a vertical wall. I know my fix below will be different to the reference but if you introduce some light from the outside, remove the hard line as the ramp meets the outside, and have a bit of a shadow on the right hand side, it might make the ramp look more on a ramp angle, a bit like this (pardon my very amateurish fix)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2011/60252-Stairway_Panorama.jpg

lorna12
04-20-2011, 01:51 AM
It's really nice work (great rock wall!) but it would be easier to give a real critique if we could see the ref. But one thing you could do to see what's right or wrong is look at the photo sidebyside with this work and then go down to thumbnail size. Another way is to look at the work in a mirror...sometimes whatever is bothering you can pop right out at you.

theBoardLady
04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks Patrick and I see what I needed to do. Thank you for including your version.

Lorna, I did as you suggested and took a look at it in the mirror. It did help - thank you.

Here's an update with smudges, fingerprints and dark spots included which, I hope, :crossfingers: will all disappear once I spray it. Critiques welcomed before I spray it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2011/123973-Stairway_Panorama2.jpg

lorna12
04-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Just one little suggestion...if you make the wall at the top of the stairs less detailed (as it's further away), I think you'll have it nailed.

Rodman
04-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Im with Lorna...

theBoardLady
04-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Just one little suggestion...if you make the wall at the top of the stairs less detailed (as it's further away), I think you'll have it nailed.

Ok did as suggested. Thanks, Lorna.

This is the final update before I spray. Thank you for the input.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2011/123973-Stairway_Panorama3.jpg

Obedec
04-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Love it, I wouldn't go outside, I'd keep exploring inside.

SammyH
04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Diane, this unique work is really interesting. It definitely holds the viewers interest. Wonderful textures and great scratching.

Buggin3
04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Very cool piece!! Great lighting and textures.

pamelalbd
04-20-2011, 11:32 PM
So Beautiful...Spiritual...Serenity...Peace...hhhaaaaaaaaaaa

RSchafe
04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
A wonderful scratchboard! Your last change really made it work. Love the texture and subject.

Rich

Tonalea
04-21-2011, 02:21 AM
That light and shadow on the far wall in the last update is perfect! I can easily see it now. This piece is amazing... I just want to keep looking at it.

lorna12
04-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Right on!:thumbsup:

03ahmed
04-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Fantastic work!

theBoardLady
04-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Well I'm calling this done and I appreciated everybody's feedback on how to correct some of it. I also appreciate your comments and I would like to say that I renamed this piece "Life's Journey" - we all know we have to take a step at time to get to the top while being careful on where we step. As some of you have experienced, after spraying it, you notice something that needs correcting.....Oh well!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2011/123973-Lifes_Journey.jpg

PatrickHedges
04-22-2011, 04:53 AM
I absolutely love this piece. It's so different but brilliantly done!!

caribouhills
04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Beautiful work Diane, love the little cracks in the steps and the old look that you achieved and I especailly like the way you handled the depth, the lighting, and the color. An overall beautful piece.

artofnature
04-22-2011, 06:16 AM
First time I have seen this and I love it. So dramatic. Beautifully scratched and lots of interest.

BTW. I have discovered that you can rescratch small areas and re ink then respray without any problems even after 6 coats of spray. Didn't think it was possible but don't be afraid to try it. Found it quite successful. Spraying a piece is not the be all and end all!

Harry Seymour
04-22-2011, 08:14 AM
This really turned out to be a beautiful piece. Well done.

VENKAT
04-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Lends variety to the themes presented here. Well done.
venkat

Diana Lee
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Wow!! This is most impressive!!! I got in here late, but at least I got in here. Don't know how I missed this!

Diana

theBoardLady
04-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Patrick, Mark, Lesley, Harry, Venkat, and Diana - thank you for your comments and encouragement.

Patrick, thanks for changing the title.

Lesley, I think I'll try re-scratching to repair.

pamelalbd
04-23-2011, 01:31 AM
It just gets better and better! You sure know how to create atmosphere! Awesome....just Awesome!

PaintDog
04-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Oh yeah, great finish Diane! I just love the textures in this piece :thumbsup:

theBoardLady
04-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Pamela and Ann - Thank you :heart: