PDA

View Full Version : Student's Thoughts about Johannes' Class

Pages : [1] 2

Tresgatos
04-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Johannes,

Thank you for the excellent course.

I have merged the two separate threads that comment on the teaching experience between the students and Johannes.

Please keep all comments within this thread.

rib00
04-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Now that the class has finished please provide feedback for Johannes' class "Painting from Photographs". Any ideas you may have on the class or simply express your thanks.

tennischick
04-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I have been so grateful to Johannes and all the folks involved in bringing us this wonderful series of lessons. I've learned so much and have throughly enjoyed every class! You've rekindled my desire to paint and learn more about it. Thank you all so very much!!

rib00
04-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I cannot thank Johannes enough for creating this class. It has done more for improving me as an artist than any other class I've taken. Not only does Johannes get "it" when it comes to creating excellent paintings, but he knows how to communicate "it" to his students in a manner that is understandable.

Also, much thanks to Kenneth, Robert and the rest of the cast behind the scenes for making the webinar happen. Robert, your notes were absolutely fantastic

Sienna black
04-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I am so happy to have taken these classes. I told all my artists friends about it and many of them joined as well. I will take any class that Johannes gives online, even if I have to pay for them. I have learnt very much from his caring and calm method of sharing his knowledge. If I lived closer to Johannes, I would take a class with him, but this has really been a second best thing! I just can't say enough or thank him enough! (Sonia Palik)

Artsyme
04-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi Johannes,

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed your classes! I have been painting for about 10 years and have taken many art classes in the Phoenix AZ area, including quite a few at The Scottsdale Artists School. Nothing compares to the wealth of information you have shared with us in your on-line classes.
I will miss meeting with you every weekend. Can't wait to see what you do next- I'll be watching!

Thank you so much!!:clap:

Janet

robertsloan2
04-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Johannes, thank you. I've had at least one "Zap" every single class, often three to six things that I never thought of that will change my painting for the rest of my life. My brain is exploding. Problems I've had all my life with certain subjects, everything from coral reef underwater scenes to handling summer scenes bursting with green or suburban lawns without their being garish are coming to make sense now.

Composition was my weakest area for most of my life. I could not understand the principles or apply the rules - without understanding, trying to apply them was hit or miss. I can't count the number of things that I didn't understand in previous classes that now make sense and have become useful tools!

This is incredible. I can only compare it to reading Jack Hamm's "Drawing the Head and Figure" - so much information that any part of it, any page of it will be as much as a whole book by others. I'll be integrating these principles for years to come, the rest of my life really.

The class is about landscapes but it applies to every subject, animals, portraits, still life, prehistoric animal art, science fiction illustration.

Because it's so intensive I seriously recommend buying the downloads to own it for review - and to watch again when weekends feel so empty without a new class to look forward to.

SalzburgBJ
04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
An American expat living and working in Austria, I've been hobby painting for about 4 years with the aid of about two dozen books purchased here and in the States.

I've learned a lot from such books on how to paint landscapes and seascapes -- but they have not offered a FRACTION of the specific, concrete, instantly usable information that Johannes Vloothuis offered in this EXCELLENT course.

I hated the thought of missing a single, informative evening -- I had perfect attendance until my internet provider copped out on me two weeks ago, making me miss 4 (Aaaauuugh! FOUR!!!!) evenings noting down J's "golden nuggets" -- but thanks to his handouts and especially to Robert, who so kindly posted his copious notes from each class, at least I wasn't left completely in the dark on those days.

Your class is starting here in a couple of minutes,
so to make it short,
Thank You Johannes!

Beth in Salzburg Austria

GoldenRetriever
04-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Johannes your classes are the best art class/workshop I've ever taken! I kept trying to copy the photo exactly, and hence the major mistake. Cropping, mass planning, melodic lines:music: , cloning, demos, values, lost and found edges, soft edges, ... Fabulous!!!

The examples, examples, and more examples really got the message across - finally I understood how to bring theory into practice.

The class takes "art speak" in to regular English so even us "geeks" are able to follow and learn.:thumbsup: I'll miss our weekends together. If you teach another online course, free or pay, I'll be there!

Thank you for all the hard work and the great crew behind the scenes. I've recommended this to all my art friends.

thank you!!! :clap:

Micheline Hamelin
04-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Johannes, I would like you to know that you have gifted me with sight and understanding the do's and don'ts in creating not only landscape but for me abstract art and creative writing as well. How to show and not tell is important, in watching your webinars, I have hone those skills.

I returned to university specifically to learn what I felt I was missing in painting...only to find out, the classes do not lecture on any aspect of painting...these courses only give you specific techniques like scumbling, splattering, and scratching, then create work depicting that...no instruction of how to see, what to look for, how to problem solve.....even about the products, nothing about the products.

...I am humbly thankful for having had the gift to attend your webinars, I am now more confident in my work because of you, I do not just place paint on my canvas, I am now playing and understanding my play....

also, in class we do not TALK....much....so hearing you talk the art talk, also has increased my artist vocabulary

To understand how humans love invitations to "Stay Awhile" (check poem below) to visit and meditate while looking at and into the painting will now play a part in my art.

Stay Awhile

I closed my eyes and set off
to my childhood meadow – watched
an autumn-coloured fox sally
and then nose-dive deep into a cloud
of cottonwood balls.

His child-like play
sparked squirreled away memories
of hide and seek –squat and pee.

Come, evocative mid-summer breezes,
sprinkled with twitters, tousled leaves,
and jiggle jello giggles.
I am enticed.

Stay awhile.

Remember to steer clear
of dive bombing nesting sites
and those prickly consequences
crowned with stellar lavender flowers.

Once,
with arms in the air chasing
winged palettes of color, I stumbled,
face first into a patch of Christmas red strawberries.

Still sprawled I look─now – to see
what made my face so wet,

and squeal like
a child, anticipate that first
juicy bite, and pluck the one berry
that missed the jam!

Written by Marie-Micheline Hamelin

So you see Johannes, your tutoring has entered in many aspects of my artist work...and cannot wait till my studies are over to begin practicing what you have taught me...and I do now own one of your video's - a gift from a friend....so thank you Johannes...if you give sessions in September, I will be able to participate in more of your classes....so until then, do take care and do keep doing what you are doing....

Notice melodic lines meander throughout - definitely influenced by your webinars.

Conundrum

Esoteric vibrations
juxtapose metrical feet
melodic lines meander throughout
oratorical concoctions of pull-taffy
kow-tow to polyphonic textures
stretching ── weaving
internal & external
brave brushstrokes.

Parchments anticipate!

Robert, your notes add a lot that I did not hear in the webinar, so thank you for your dedication, these notes have been one of Johannes gold nuggets as well, or should I say:::::your golden nugget, Thank You ROBERT

Eddypus1
04-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Thank you Johannes for a wonderful session. I've learned more from you (and everyone in the threads also) than from all the classes I have ever attended in my 20 years or so of painting. Thank you to F&W for this wonderful opportunity.

BGorski
04-17-2011, 03:41 PM
I learned a lot from his webinars. Many valuable insider kinds of items that it is hard to glean from a book even when it might me documented.

One thing beyond his control was how fast the webinar filled up, sometimes as early as 20 minutes before scheduled start.

I registered, bought the books, and have bought a couple of the sessions primarily to convey the value of his teaching, and the "bottom-line" impact webinars of this sort can bring in, even when they are free.

With the free aspect, I find that it does become overcrowded very quickly seemingly with folks who spend almost as much time texting each other as they presumably do watching the broadcast.

Other than the problem of getting in, I have learned a lot from the Maestro, and look forward to seeing the other taped sessions.

Bob Gorski

BGorski
04-17-2011, 03:43 PM
And thanks to the team, esp. Kenneth and Robert for their contribution to the broadcasts. Nicely done, folks!!!!!

hewill4giveu
04-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I personally hate to see the classes stop and i hope that all of us who are posting how much we like the classes and do not want to stop them. Will in fact help keep them going by purchasing his videos. He has put so much work into this and i think we should repay him by ordering his videos.

That said i truely feel blessed to have had the opportunity to learn from him. I take a little longer to do my homework etc but i will master what he has taught. His lessons will not go for naught in my life. His teaching is so understandable no matter what level you are at.
I love the lessons because i am not able to sit long periods due to health reasons so to be able to be in class like this has been such a life saver.
Thank you to W.C. for doing this. Thank you Johannes for all the time you have spent. Thank you Kenneth for answering so many questions.
Thank you ROBERT your notes are such a help and blessing to all of us.

I WILL MISS THIS COARSE DEEPLY

singsong
04-17-2011, 04:26 PM
This course has been extremely helpful to me. The lessons were well thought out, and well put together. The format worked well. I've painted all my life with no formal "learning" process. I picked up bits of knowledge here and there in my life. This class has strung it all together for me. The last lesson was wonderful, where Johannes commented over the live plen aire painting. Thank you so much for presenting this.
Donna

Dagmartist
04-17-2011, 05:18 PM
How does one convey one's gratitude for such an awesome course.
I was upset that I could no longer take workshops because of the recession. You came along with the best workshop I have ever experienced!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
It will take a while to absorb and practice it all. :grouphug:

etdavis6
04-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Thank you so much for these online webinars:clap: -- I've learned so much from these webinars. I'll be digesting these materials and trying to put them into practice for the next several months as a beginning water color painter and artist. To help me do this, I've started purchasing some of the videos already available so that I can use them along with Johannes' succinct handouts, Robert's fantastic notes and Ken's patient answers to all of our questions. Muchas gracias a todos!:wave:

Yorky
04-17-2011, 05:23 PM
I think the intention is for webinars to continue with other tutors.

There are many members who have posted tutorials and articles on wetcanvas over the years and they will probably be invited to participate in webinar workshops.

Doug

Valleygarden
04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Fantastic webinar course! I feel I learned so much and there is still much to learn. I hope to put all of the concepts and techniques to use and paint, paint paint. Thank you Johannes for an excellent course. Thank you Robert Sloan for sharing your notes. And thanks for Jo's support staff ( Judy, Ken)
because they made it all run so smoothly. I look forward to other webinars with Johannes.

hewill4giveu
04-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Here is a second thought it would be nice if we could have a way of everyone who wants to watch be able to. 1000 isnt enough room for everyone who would love to watch. I feel many might leave because they cant ever get in.
We need a bigger forum for more people at one time. These lessons are to good to loose. There are soooo many of us who need this. Thank you for everything thats been done. It is very much appreciate but PLEASE CONCIDER this.

jpetersen
Thanks to the organizers of this class and to Johannes for all the time he spent presenting the class. I have learned so very much and am sitting here now looking at a pointing I have done and picking it apart.

Understanding intellectually what Johannes has taught and putting it into practice are two different things but know that such skills come with practice -- lots and lots of practice.

Unfortunately I missed a couple of classes but hope to buy the videos that I felt were the most important to me personally. The first live demo went grate but there were some after that where there were difficulties and one in particular that I had to log out because I couldn't see the video. After that, however, the problems were addressed and solved and I had no further difficulties with the live demos.

Again, thanks to Johannes for sharing his knowledge with everyone. Art has changed my life and made difficult times in my life easier to cope with.

Ruth04
I apologize because my English is not good and I know I'm short to express all I want.

Muchas gracias Johannes por tan excelente curso, las demostraciones y por compartir en forma tan amplia y sin ningún egoismo su experiencia y sabiduría.
Buscando en internet información para aclarar muchas de mis dudas, Dios puso en mi camino WetCanvas y su invaluable curso, que segui con mucho interes y atención cada fin de semana, apreciando el tiempo y esfuerzo que usted puso para preparar cada clase.

Son escasos en español los buenos libros para aprender a pintar. Por favor considere traducir al español el suyo cuando lo termine, pues sería de mucha ayuda para los aficionados al arte de habla hispana.

Mis mejores deseos y oraciones porque tanto usted como su familia, sean ampliamente prosperados en todo lo que emprendan.

Also thank you to Kenneth, Judy, Robert Sloan and all the persons to made possible this course.

Mirsa.

Blah
04-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Thank you Johannes for a wonderful series of lessons. You have a fantastic ability to simplify concepts and to present them in a way which makes a lasting impression on us. I feel I have learned a lot over the last 12 weeks and I have also enjoyed the time that I have spent in your class. Now I look forward to putting what I have learned into practice.

WetCanvas Live and F&W Media are to be complimented on this initiative. These were the first set of webinars that I have attending and its effectiveness as a medium of instruction has been an eyeopener to me.

And finally, my thanks to all the people who assisted you, both from within WetCanvas (like Robert) and from your own team (like Judy and Ken) who helped to ensure that we got every golden nugget of instruction that you were so generous to give us.

Balaji

pat-trew
04-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Johannes, I would like to take this oppertunity to thank you for such a wonderful class, I will sincerely miss them.
Years ago I took portrait classes, with a man named William Kalwick, over 27 years ago he had to move to Arizona, for health reasons , and my painting , and practice for it , diminished considerably. Bill was a great painter, and his son has taken on his fathers talent, residing in Houston Texas, ('Bill Jr, studied with Markos Lajos, friend of Bill sr) , the one thing I have to say, is you are a great artist, and the same goes for your method of teaching, and I say this, because Bills wife, used to say to me, " Bill never tells the students what is reallly good or bad, " He would correct, but with not many reasons why, and you do that. So thank you soooo much for your dedication, and selfless personality.
I signed up for your newsletter, so I will be looking for workshops, I would like some information on what you need for compansation, so if you would consider, one in the Bradenton, Sarasota Florida area, I could work on making that possible.
Now ending, a Big Thank You to Judy, ( where do people like her come from? ) and a Big Thank You to Kenneth, with all his knowledge, and also to Robert Sloan, for his fantastic notes,. Bye for now, will Miss You Guys. Pat Trewern,

Tresgatos
04-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Johannes,

I wasn't able to post my thanks in the thread for the "Methods of Applying Watercolor to the Paper' that you posted. :clap:

Many thanks for doing that - I'm pretty sure it will help me get it right now.

Barbara

wetbob
04-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Thnx Johannes:thumbsup:
Great classes, plein air was great!

LLeone
04-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Johannes,
I live in an remote location in the Yukon and have been further isolated since last June when I had foot surgery. I'm still recovering and not able to stand for longer than 3o minutes. Your classes have been a life line for me and have made my convalescence more than bearable!! It's been so exciting to learn from you and to connect with so many others who feel the same.

I wish you incredible success and all the blessings one person can handle.

winecountry
04-17-2011, 05:58 PM
thank you so much, a priceless gift has been gratefully received and now to put it to use...and we got Robert's email so we can help him out too, if you didn't get it you can pm him here and he'll get that too.

His voice and phrases follow me where ever I go to paint, and it is hopefully going to become something that eventually is just how I paint.

There is a fb alum group too you can do a search on Johannes Vloothuis Lanscape Alumni for that group and get Robert to ok you to join, great place to meet up, and different so maybe like to be both places it's harder to do wips over there but a good place to just comment on how things are going.

Blah
04-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Thank you Johannes for a wonderful series of lessons. You have a fantastic ability to simplify concepts and to present them in a way which makes a lasting impression on us. I feel I have learned a lot over the last 12 weeks and I have also enjoyed the time that I have spent in your class. Now I look forward to putting what I have learned into practice.

WetCanvas Live and F&W Media are to be complimented on this initiative. These were the first set of webinars that I have attending and its effectiveness as a medium of instruction has been an eyeopener to me.

And finally, my thanks to all the people who assisted you, both from within WetCanvas (like Robert) and from your own team (like Judy and Ken) who helped to ensure that we got every golden nugget of instruction that you were so generous to give us.

(This was posted earlier in another similar thread too.)

Balaji

Cynthia428
04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Thank you for this wonderful course. I'm a long time photographer, but have spent the past year learning to draw and paint in watercolor. I have a long way to go, and this course has definitely given me a basis upon which to build. I hope to see more courses, especially ones with video (live or pre-recorded). I've targeted 8 of the DVD downloads for purchase.

Thanks to your whole team for their time and effort to develop the course and edit it for F&W's publication.

I'll be watching your activities on WetCanvas. Reading your critiques and seeing improvements as you help participating artists.

Cynthia

donnagail
04-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Many thanks to you, Johannes, for this extremely helpful, informative course. Your patience and teaching style are truly commendable and much appreciated. You presented the material in a manner that was easy to envision and to learn. Thanks also to F&W for making it possible and to those behind the scenes. Of course, Robert's notes have been so very helpful!!!

jakstudio
04-17-2011, 06:44 PM
I have learned SO much that I am overwhelmed...with gratitude and excitement. I am already seeing a big difference in my artwork. Thank you so much.

Kurlie
04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: WTG.. To all that worked to make these classes a success! I joined late, health problems kept me off the net, but I am soaking up every word and stroke of the brush. I agree with everything Robert Sloan has said. I am trying to get all the dls from the class, on a shoestring. I would never be able to pay as much as this class is worth!
I hope that the threads for the classes stay active. Lots can be learned by critiques done by others that understand what and how you are trying to paint.
My paintings may look like they are done by a child, but I am far from that! I am in the "Old Dog New Tricks" phase and this has given me a boost!
:) Kurlie

levans1761
04-17-2011, 06:54 PM
I did not get in on the first few classes, but I enjoyed the classes I did log on to I had no trouble with seeing or hearing. And the amount of info we were given was great. I can't thank you enough for sharing

levans1761
04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
thank you, it was very kind of you to share

murphe
04-17-2011, 07:20 PM
As someone who only joined for the last few weekends even I picked up quite a lot of helpful info and only wish I had been in from the start.
I guess I'll just have to buy some of the weeks I missed as downloads to make up for my lateness. Perhaps, if something similar is repeated in future, making the downloads available during the course for latecomers might increase sales as well as helping people catch up.

Thanks again, Johannes. It's been a real pleasure having such a great, selfless and skilled teacher and artist.

Obion
04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Thank you Johannes, Ken, Judth and Robert for dedicating your time to teach us all and all the notes... Johannes you are a amazing teacher. I have learnt so much and feel I'm a much better painter for learning from you. I do hope you have more class's online in the future... or even the single session on Tree's, rocks, water, Mountians, at the $20 USD per lession that you mentioned... Re Videos: Because I live in New Zealand I wanted to wait until all your videos were presented before I buy as Postage is so expensive... Once again THANK YOU! Love all your paintings... Barbara:clap:

Greatblu
04-17-2011, 07:32 PM
I am very grateful for the opportunity to attend such great classes. I won't be able to afford all of them, but intend to order a few that I didn't get to watch in their entirity. I also am interested in whatever you do in the future.
This afternoon I reworked one of my old paintings that I thought was pretty good before but is now a lot better. :) I have more that I intend to 'doctor' up and I intend to be checking on anything you have going on in the future.

ladyB
04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
:clap: Johannes: I was so fortunate to attend all 24 webinars. I wouldn't miss
them, even when the grandkids came over. Sometimes my 10 year old
grandson would sit and watch with me. I would quiz him later, and he really
remembered everything. I was also lucky not to have problems connecting to or receiving the webinars.

Never in my life did I ever receive anything of value for free. Well, now I can't say that
anymore. The course you gave was not only free, but soooo valuable. It was top
notch. You can really stand tall. No one could have walked away from that course
without having learned about landscape painting.

Like they say after a great performance, Bravo and Encore.
Thank you,
ladyB

Lynn 592
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I only missed one class but I've purchased all of the videos so far and plan to purchase the rest when available.

I found that while I was taking notes or reading questions & answers that I missed alot. Going back through my notes I read where I have written "See Robert's Notes". Robert's notes are wonderful and cleared up some of my questions but for me to be able to replay the classes in my own time and to be able to pause or replay is worth the small price of the videos.

A big Thank You to Johannes, Judy, Ken, and F&W!
Lynn

robertsloan2
04-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I would love to see F&W publish a Workbook to go with the class, authored by Johannes. The exercises, handouts, checklists, everything organized in a binding similar to Powerful Watercolor Landscapes - spiral bound inside a hard cover so it's durable and stands up to being banged around in the studio or dragged along on plein air trips - and folds out flat on the table if you're painting in the studio. I love that format and I've enjoyed workbooks for various mediums.

Or if Johannes wrote one on oil painting alla prima, that would be awesome. I'm good at pastels, getting lots better at watercolor and completely stink in oils, have yet to produce a decent oil painting. But I'm getting a lot more confident about it thanks to Johannes's class! It applies to any subject in any medium.

He could do one in watercolor too, it'd absolutely rock.

Nora
04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Thank you to F&W, Judy, Ken and especially Johannes. This has been a wonderful 3 months. Johannes you are a wonderful teacher speaking not only of your fabulous talent but your distinct way of getting the point across and the explanation of the point. The secrets that you have let us be aware of, and the "aha" moments we all had when they finally sunk in will remain with me. I do hope you keep in touch with all of us somehow as we (I'm sure all will agree) think we have found a new artist friend. I do hope you come out west (the far west) some day. Thank you again.

Barbara01
04-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Johannes, you are a wonderful teacher, and I`ve had many and can understand why so many teachers have come to you for instruction. Your classes have been the most enlightening I`ve ever taken in regards to studio art, and hope that you will do a few more in the future. I hope to attend even for a fee since it`s not often that these kind of opportunities come along, something that the number of registrants (around 3000 was it) would seem to indicate.

You have also given me the artistic tools and inspiration to return to art at a professional level after a 13 year absence. I find it hopeful that nature, landscape and realistic painting could be appreciated by the art world and by the public.

BumpaBob
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
While looking at items on the North Light site, back in late Feb, I saw something about an on-line course on landscape painting. So, curiosity getting the better of me, I signed up and signed in: WOW, I was amazed! Unlike many of my fellow students here, I don't have formal art schooling - trained as a science teacher, worked as a trust banker for 40 years! Yet here was an on-line discussion of all the problems I was having in teaching myself how to paint watercolors! I could compose a photo well enough, but how does one get the image on paper with my favorite medium?
Johannes showed us the How of the process, not with painter's "tricks" but with real concepts applicable across all art mediums. You could compose landscapes in mosaic if you know what he has taught us. And the team he put together-Ken, Judy, Robert Sloan, and probably nameless others-have made landscape painting fun! Robert's notes have proven invaluable and I have already downloaded one set of videos and will pick the rest up as the cash flow allows.
I have been a subscriber to F&W magazines since the '80's trying to find a "style" or an approach to painting; Jo, you have helped me to learn how to see first, then find a way to put it on paper. Making this class available on WetCanvas puts F&W at the top of my art provider's list. I've bought dvd's, books and even vcr tapes on the website and will continue to do so. WetCanvas is a super site to work with, a great connection to other artists and to honest peer review of one's work.
So, a huge Thank You to Johannes, his team and to F&W for making this course possible. I'm finally learning what to do with all this paint, paper and brushes I have collected over the years!

redpeppers
04-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Johannes, thank you for sharing all your artistic knowlege with me. I didn't miss a single class and learned so much about painting from photographs. I knew I was missing something, but didn't know what it was. Your unselfish sharing of your artistic ability was incredible. I can't thank you enough. My thanks go out to Kenneth, Judy and much thanks to Robert for his notes.
Johannes, much success to you in the future. Sonia Tuttle

jfwalton
04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I have taken many workshops by many well-known artists and I have never been taught the things you taught. You are by far the best teacher ever. Many have touched on what you have explained in detail. It has made my work improve 100 percent and I will continue to improve. I have been reading the books and studying the notes and know I will improve more. I am looking forward to any of your future projects. A friend was only able to see one session and was so impressed she is going to buy the whole set. I teach just a little locally and these lessons will help me with that also. Thanks so much, Johannes and all your staff for giving their time and knowledge.

Johannes Instructor
04-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Thank you Johannes, Ken, Judth and Robert for dedicating your time to teach us all and all the notes... Johannes you are a amazing teacher. I have learnt so much and feel I'm a much better painter for learning from you. I do hope you have more class's online in the future... or even the single session on Tree's, rocks, water, Mountians, at the $20 USD per lession that you mentioned... Re Videos: Because I live in New Zealand I wanted to wait until all your videos were presented before I buy as Postage is so expensive... Once again THANK YOU! Love all your paintings... Barbara:clap: As far as I know Norhlight is not planning to put them on DVD format. I recommend you download them.

artrookie
04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks Johannes for the best and most complete workshop I have ever experencied !

tennisqueen
04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I cannot thank you enough for your invaluable teachings, you are not only a wonderful artist, but an incredible teacher. I have downloaded all of the videos to date, and plan to download the next 12 when they become available because the amount of information you have given every week, I need to see it again to catch all of the golden nuggets, you have shared with us. Robert, Thank you, for the unbelievable notes you have shared with us. They are so helpful!!!! Thank you Judy, for the behind the scenes work you have done to make these videos possible. I, also ordered the books from North Light that has been recommended. Thank you, again!!!!!
Judy

loulou6
04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Johannes, I have taken quite a few painting classes over the years. None compare to what you, with your associates, have provided in the last 3 months. You have shared so much information that it will take a long time to assimilate and put into practice. Thank you all for the effort and commitment it took to create such a wonderful course. I sincerely hope that there will be more to come. I have downloaded some of the videos - well done !!
Mary

Dot Hoffman
04-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Johannes, this has been an extraordinary gift! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Will you notify us, perhaps via this forum, when ALL the DVD's will be available? My sister and I both want to buy them but we want to wait till we can purchase the full set.

thank you again. This has been absolutely a wonderful experience and we learned so much.:thumbsup:

tuscanni
04-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Because it's so intensive I seriously recommend buying the downloads to own it for review - and to watch again when weekends feel so empty without a new class to look forward to.

ROBERT....I totally agree with you on this point. I personally feel empty after this last webinar. I really look forward to the webinars every weekend and look forward to working on the weekly homework.

Like most of the other students, Johannes teachings have opened my eyes to a whole new world of art and composition. He has explained to us why we always thought that our paintings didnt quite " look right".
If only I lived closer, I would love to take his classes, but alas, its too far for me on a limited budget.
Johannes and everyone who has made this truely unique event possible, thankyou thankyou thankyou.

ANN

pixieartist
04-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi Johannes, :) Thanks so much for all the time you have devoted to teaching all of us.:thumbsup: I really appreciate all the time and effort you have put in to make these art classes so learnable as well as helping us technologically challenged individuals to get onto the proper space to see your demos etc. You deserve a big hug :grouphug: for all you have done for us. Learning from you is so easy.:) I learned so much, now to put it to practise!!!:lol: If and when the opportunity ever comes up again to teach on the computer, I sincerely hope you will do so, as I plan to be first in line!!!! :D :D Your 'job' was extremely well done. Kudos to you and please pass on my thanks to your son, Kenneth for helping us as well as your wife for putting up with all the time you devoted to us (instead of your sweetheart). She deserves a great big hug too!!!
I would also like to extend a great big thank-you to Robert for taking such neat and concise notes.:thumbsup::thumbsup: I have nearly all of them printed out, just todays left to do and hopefully he will post those.
Thanks Judy for all your help,:) especially today when I was having trouble getting the sound etc. Letting me know what to do was very helpful. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
One last note, is to thank F&W for having you, Johannes, teach this awesome class to so many students. Over 3,000 registered!!! Hopefully everyone was able to sign in each week, although the limit of 1,000 at a time indicates not likely. Barring the gliches that happened on some days, I think this is a good set-up for teaching lots of students. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
So, thanks everyone who were involved in setting up these classes. Without all of you, I personally would have never thought this could be done as successfully as it was. I am looking forward to purchasing all the videos of this course in the very near future. I am hoping this opportunity will be available for several months, if possible. Thanks again, Kyna aka Pixieartist

LLeone
04-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Johannes, this has been a more wonderful art experience than you can possibly know. I've been largely immobile since last June because of surgeries and finding your course was a true gift. I've never had any formal art training. Being self taught has served me well to date; however, now I know what I've been missing! You've given me great freedom through your generous sharing during these classes. If all goes well, I may have the opportunity to pass along the gift you've given. Thank-you from the depths of my heart and may you be blessed in realizing your dream sooner rather than later.

I'd also like to express my gratitude to F&W media; without their sponsorship, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to take these classes. I've truly enjoyed my book purchases and will no doubt enjoy the webinars that I've bought and those I will buy in the future - almost as much as the 'live' classes.

Last, but certainly not least, my sincere thanks to Ken, Judy and your wonderful wife who's been willing to have you share so much of your time with all of us.

Blessings to all of you until we meet again!

R Leon
04-18-2011, 12:10 AM
These weekend classes have been wonderful!!:clap::clap::clap::clap: Unfortunately, I have mostly only been able to attend the Sunday sessions but with Robert's incredible notes (how do you manage to write and draw so fast, Robert?) I have tried to catch up with what I missed. I have a huge library of art books and already had everyone that Johannes suggested we look to for guidance but they did not make as much sense before I watched the on-line sessions. I first noticed this when reading as article on Clyde Aspevig in the Plein Aire magazine and he said something about values and I am nodding, oh yes, that is what Johannes was showing us and it hit me that I really understood it now! I have ordered and downloaded all of the videos currently for sale - and what a deal! $10 for two videos! Watching Johannes point out values and edges and compositional elements in the paintings of others, watching how he executes them, the sessions on color and how to paint green were worth a charged entrance fee alone. Now I need to go back over the videos, especially the ones that I missed, and then try and upload some paintings for review to see if I have been able to put what Johannes was trying to teach into practice. And if I don't quite make it, it would not be due to his so patient and repititious teaching (there is an oriental saying that someone doesn't really hear what you say until you say it nine times.) It would be my not practicing what Johannes was teaching. And I would then go back and watch the relevant video again! :( Until I got it. :crossfingers:

I am so glad I was able to take part in this experiment and hope that it expands to a much larger audience. What a great learning tool these sessions have been. And I am so sorry that this has now come to an end. :crying: But now it is time to go and apply paint to canvas and put these lessons into practice. :thumbsup:

R Leon
04-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Wonderful workshops. Well planned, well executed once the bugs got worked out and it was fun being part of that process as well. It takes a lot of planning to put together a curriculum for workshops and I really appreciate the work that Johannes and Ken and Judy and the rest of his team put in. And, of course, Robert's notes were priceless!!

Thanks so much to all of you.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I have downloaded the first twelve videos and will download the rest when they come out. So my weekends will not be empty as I replay the videos!! Too bad we can't replay the chat as I learned some interesting things there as well!

oCDs01-711
04-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I'd like to add my thanks with all the others. Teaching so that everyone "gets" it can be tough. Some people have the "gift" of teaching and others do not. Johannes definitely has the gift! :clap: :)

Like so many others who have bought books, DVDs, taken classes,.....nothing, NO THING has ever made sense like these classes. In appreciation, I have purchased another six books and just one class to see if I could play it OK. Found out I don't have mp4 so I'm stuck without knowing what to do about that. When I find out, I'll purchase more classes! :D

Robert's notes are fantastic! :clap: Johannes' handouts are super! :clap: Thanks to Ken :clap: and Judy :clap: and any body else who helped. Thanks to Johannes who isn't afraid to "share" his knowledge and to pass it on. This attitude is HUGE. Many artists I know simply won't share a technique if asked. I guess, they are afraid of others being better than they. :confused:

I do hope that everyone who can afford to purchase a lesson will do so that F & W will continue with Johannes. We want Johannes!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

nougat
04-18-2011, 12:21 AM
johannes - thank you so much for this wonderful webinar you are a master artist indeed and a most generous teacher. you have the unique ability to reach out and bond with students - even those of us several thousand miles away.
thanks also to f&w media.
wouldn't it be wonderful if f&w media, with johannes of course, continued to provide art courses in this convenient and personal way? maybe reaching an even greater number of people??
i can only express my thanks and appreciation to all involved in particular johannes and hope for more from our favourite instructor in the (near) :) future.
nougat

dartistflame
04-18-2011, 01:34 AM
We all agree that these classes have been amazing and have touched our lives in a very special way. Jo, the time you, Ken, Judy, Robert and everyone involved in presenting the lessons to us is recognized and appreciated. I know I will benefit from my time spent during the past 12 weeks and it is just the beginning of the benefits of these classes. I really hope that this is the FIRST OF MANY.

carol_lee
04-18-2011, 05:30 AM
:wave:
I would also like to express my thanks to F&W for making this course possible..hoping that they will continue!!!

Much thanks to Johannes, a great artist and GREAT teacher.... his endless patience to put all his points across and make sure that we "GOT" them..... in the lessons and on the board.

Thanks to Robert for his excellent NOTES.... I don't know how he does it....

Thanks to Kenneth and Judy for their contributions behind the scenes...

You should all be so proud that this major undertaking was so successful in spite of some technical issues that were taken care of.... I will really miss these weekends and look forward to meeting again....:clap:

murphe
04-18-2011, 07:27 AM
I Found out I don't have mp4 so I'm stuck without knowing what to do about that. When I find out, I'll purchase more classes! :D

I take it you have a PC as I think Quicktime from Apple plays mp4 (you could probably even install quicktime on your pc to play mp4 files but I'm not sure what the free version does and doesn't do now.)

A free player that is almost guaranteed to play your files is VLC media player which is available from videolan.org/vlc and has versions for most operating systems. Hope this helps you watch what you bought.

lonelm
04-18-2011, 09:09 AM
I take it you have a PC as I think Quicktime from Apple plays mp4 (you could probably even install quicktime on your pc to play mp4 files but I'm not sure what the free version does and doesn't do now.)

A free player that is almost guaranteed to play your files is VLC media player which is available from videolan.org/vlc and has versions for most operating systems. Hope this helps you watch what you bought.

It is odd they will not play for you. MP4 should play freely on either mac or pc with just the included software on the machine. The Divx player will also play them as well as VLC as murphe suggested. I would also consider that your download got corrupted and I would try to download it again to see if that solves the problem. Hope you get them working for you.

DonaldRae
04-18-2011, 09:46 AM
I am so grateful that i got an e-mail before the classes started , so I did not miss a single class , even though I stayed at home for the winter, it was worth it , I learned more in the 12 weeks than ever before, I would like to take this opportunity to thank , Johannes , Roberts and Judy for all their work , I'll be buying some of the classes , I sure would like a certificate from this class to use for future teaching classes? What say F&W???

Cheers ,Rae.

ninasart
04-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Thank you, Johannes for the wonderful classes. You presented the information in a clear manner and kept repeating it until it was understood. I really wish I could have had all this information about 50 years ago.
Thanks so much! And I will look for more classes from you.

Sheri Hammond
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow what an incredeble 12 weeks!!! I have been so confused about composition all my artistic life and now I see the light. Thank you Johannes you are such a marvelous generous TEACHER. You truly have a gift for explaining the most confusing concepts. I can't tell you how much I looked forward to the classes. I will miss hem so much. Count me in for any future classes. I agree with those who said we should order the videos for our sake and to thank everyone for making them. I intend to do so!!! Thank you Johannes , Kennith, Robert et all What an incredable difference you have made in my life, I now feel confident I can produce good art work!!

buddingartist
04-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Painting is a hobby I took up in retirement. Unfortunately, I had not painted for over a year as we were fighting 24-7 to care for and keep one of our furry friends alive. The Saturdays and Sundays sessions became my <personal time<, kept me sane and were my escape from reality. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to our friend Buddy March 24 and then leave to go help our son due to a medical emergency situation. I only missed 2-3 April on Color harmony and I will definitely download the sessions from that weekend.

Even though I had little or no time to do the exercises, I did learn a lot. Now I have more time to put into practice what I just learned, I am still reading Carlson and peeked at the Right Brain book and I will go back to my hobby and paint my little heart out.

Thank you Johannes. Also thank you to your wife for so kindly agreeing to share your personal family time with thousands of people every weekend. Of course, thank you also to Judy and Kenneth and I would be remiss if I didn’t mention and thank Robert for his fabulous note taking and for agreeing to so kindly share them with the group.

Louise:wave:

PollyJo
04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Hello Johannes,
THANK YOU FOR ADDING SO MUCH TO NOT ONLY MY ARTISTIC LIFE, BUT MY LIFE IN GENERAL. It has been a long cold winter in Edmonton, and I can honestly say it has been my best winter in many decades because of Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
I hope you achieve your goal of growing the webinar classes. You have a gift of teaching and a passion for your craft that should be shared with many.

PollyJo:clap:

schilderesje
04-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Thank you so much, Johannes. You are a great teacher. I have never "met" a teacher with so much patience and with such passion. I missed most of the classes, because I found out about them late, but I will download them all. You have opened my eyes.

Thank you, Johannes!!

And Robert, thank you for your notes. They are so clear and to the point. I am grateful that you posted them for us all.

Toine
CT

ResaResa
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Carlson and Payne, in their day put their insights and knowledge to paper, and their books became the bibles of renowned landscape artists the world over.

Johannes Vloothuis (pronounced Float House) has shaken the art education world (or at least mine) with the most revolutionary use of today's technology to further the skills of any artist aspiring to paint a landscape.
His Live Webinars conjoined with the Wet Canvas format allowed thousands of eager students to sit in on a live class, ask questions, and chat among themselves and with Johannes as he generously shared his years of hard earned knowledge. Participants were able to post homework assignments and have them critiqued live, as again, questions were asked and issues discussed. Participants were able to download indispensable class handouts and reference photos allowing them to follow along on his amazing and insightful painting techniques and demos of oil, pastel and watercolor.

This course was a godsend to those of us unable to spend a lifetime traveling the world, dissecting the hows and whys of the New Masters of landscape art as well as the Great Masters of old. For those who are unable to spend hour upon hour out in the field studying the effects of the environment and the landscape, Johannes has done it, and most importantly is willing to share.

Johannes shows how to take the aspects of what seen and break it down and use techniques to recompose it into a stunning landscape that makes sense, has a theme, has direction, and has emotional pull.

There was so much information packed into this class that Johannes's lessons frequently spilled over into the next hour with eager artists remaining till the last reluctant goodbye and sign off.

This class was a wonderful experience. Even with a notebook exploding with information in front of me, I have begun purchasing the newly available webinar downloads. So much information needs reinforcement, repetition and reminders. Being able to review the course whenever desired is like having Johannes looking over my shoulder, continuing to guide me as I progress toward becoming the best landscape artist that I can be.

Thank you Johannes for being such a wonderful teacher, I will be looking forward to any future webinars. Best of luck pursuing this groundbreaking experiment to the fullest extent possible.

nougat
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM

the vlc free player is indeed excellent.

nougat
04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
johannes - thank you so much for this wonderful webinar you are a master artist indeed and a most generous teacher. you have the unique ability to reach out and bond with students - even those of us several thousand miles away.
thanks also to f&w media.
wouldn't it be wonderful if f&w media, with johannes of course, continued to provide art courses in this convenient and personal way? maybe reaching an even greater number of people??
i can only express my thanks and appreciation to all involved in particular johannes and hope for more from our favourite instructor in the (near) :) future.
nougat

oh oh ps!!

i've purchased all the downloads and look forward to the next lot!!!

ResaResa
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd like to add my thanks with all the others. Teaching so that everyone "gets" it can be tough. Some people have the "gift" of teaching and others do not. Johannes definitely has the gift! :clap: :)

Like so many others who have bought books, DVDs, taken classes,.....nothing, NO THING has ever made sense like these classes. In appreciation, I have purchased another six books and just one class to see if I could play it OK. Found out I don't have mp4 so I'm stuck without knowing what to do about that. When I find out, I'll purchase more classes! :D

Robert's notes are fantastic! :clap: Johannes' handouts are super! :clap: Thanks to Ken :clap: and Judy :clap: and any body else who helped. Thanks to Johannes who isn't afraid to "share" his knowledge and to pass it on. This attitude is HUGE. Many artists I know simply won't share a technique if asked. I guess, they are afraid of others being better than they. :confused:

I do hope that everyone who can afford to purchase a lesson will do so that F & W will continue with Johannes. We want Johannes!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I also had problems getting it to work at first. Found it curious when I was able to play another MP4 file (I never payed much attention before to what kinda files they were). I then opened the webinar file while I had Windows Media Player open and Bingo it started working!

versailles 78
04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
I am not as good as I need in English and won't be able to express what I feel after watching and absorbing - better to say "trying to absorb" because it was a lot - all we've been instructed during these 3 months ! It's incredible how good you are Johannes as a teacher, clear, patient, explaining, going through all the difficulties which may occur to us, and always giving a solution !!! I'll buy at least 6 of the downloads, maybe more if I get time to look at them all over again.

You made yesterday's demo of the fall look so easy to do !! What a great artist you are !!

Thank you for sharing all your knowledge with us. That's an enormous gift you made.
I really hope you'll have an opportunity to do that again for our benefit, even if we have to pay. Your teaching is priceless. But don't do that on an American channel for we, Europeans, won't be able to watch !

Thanks to Ken as well even if I did not catch a word of what he said about light. He speaks too quickly for people whose mother tongue is not English.... But I enjoyed his answers at the Q&A window and his great sense of humor.

Bref, merci énormément Johannes, and please come back !

jillmc3
04-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks so much to Joh, Robert and all others who worked so hard on the Wet Canvas webinar/video classes. What an incredible experience, I have a bachelor's degree in visual arts and took many studio classes, but these 12 weeks have been eye opening for me in so many ways. What a great teaching tool the internet is in the hands of the right teacher! Great job, everyone!!

Amandine
04-18-2011, 12:21 PM
What can I say that has not been said already. The only words that come to my mind are thank you ! thank you ! thank you ! :grouphug: to all those who've been involved in this wonderful journey :grouphug:
Bravo :clap: :clap: :clap:

CherieRN
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Thank you so much Johannes!! This online course was so helpful and inspiring. I hope you do more teaching this way. I look forward to it.
Cherie

raxu
04-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Johannes, once again thank you so much for all the golden nuggets - I made a neglage of them to carry with me as long as I will paint! I feel fortunate and priviledged I had this opportunity to enjoy your professional and inspirational way of teaching - Finland is a bit far (from you, not from me...), so I won't be able to attend your workshops on site. That's why these Webinar classes are priceless! Actually, I felt as if I WAS there.

Thanks to Judy, Kenneth and Robert as well. You all had an important role which you managed heavenly!

Hope there will be some more Webinars with you to come...!

IrmaH322
04-18-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree word by word with ResaResa. More important than the information Johannes has given us is the way he explains everything, the why and shows how to make it work; his passion for art is contagious, it motivates me to paint more and be better at it. Because of his teachings I see everything around me with different eyes, the trees, the mountains around me, shrubs, etc. I feel a connection that wasn't there before and I really thank him for that because I enjoy my world more.He has so much more to offer in oils, watercolor, pastels, acrylics that I am waiting for more webinars to come. I will follow his future teachings in whatever medium or venue he chooses.
I want to thank Ken for his participation, his knowledge helped many people with his answers. Robert, what else can be said about him. It is amazing how he can write so much information in a clear way and writing, I have problems understanding my own notes. Judy did a superb job editing the videos, they are perfect. My thanks also to F&W for sponsoring this webinar where students can ask question live this type of teching makes a difference.
It is important to buy the videos and watch them over and over, I already bought the ones offered now and I am waiting for the rest. I am retired with a fixed income but one has to make priorities in life and I choose art as mine. Listening to the videos again will make the golden nuggets stick, there are so many.
One thing that I believe is that the BEST golden nugget is you MAESTRO, will meet again in another webinar. Irma

csering
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Like everyone else I have gained so much from the past three months, and I too am sorry to see it end. In the beginning when I told my friends and family that I was taking a painting course online, I got some very puzzled looks. But I think doing it this way is very beneficial. Have never learned so much before, I had a great many aha moments. The classes were a nice blend of info and painting demos, and between the handouts, homework and the interaction on WetCanvas, I think the format really works! Thanks Johannes!

Cindy:clap: :clap:

tedzart
04-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I just want to add my sincerest thanks for all the wonderful treasurers that have been shared with us. It has been an unbelievable 12 weeks. Johannes, you are a terrific teacher!!! You remained calm when the systems tried to be stubborn. Your patience and focus kept all of us on track and you never missed a beat.

I feel very fortunate to have happen onto these amazing online classes. It is as though, I have completed a college level course. I am excited to get out and test my new found skills and techniques. I shall always cherish the handouts, Robert's notes, and the many special jewels that have been generous shared with me during these classes.

Hopefully, this is just the beginning of a fabulous learning opportunity for thousands, even millions of artists all over the world. Coming together with others of like interests has such tremendous growth potential.

Thank you to Johannes, Kenneth, Robert, and all the support team for their dedication in providing a high quality art education experience. And thanks to F+W Media for sponsoring these great online classes. I look forward to more learning opportunities.
Thanks again, Teddy Jackson

Sunny7
04-18-2011, 02:08 PM
THANK YOU, Johannes, F&W Media, Kenneth, Judy and Robert!! for the wonderful lessons; Johannes... thanks for all the tips, and your patience and dedication to teaching us the importance of learning it right! I plan to purchase all the videos so I can review. This is the only lessons I have had. I began painting at age 12 and am now 66 this June. Your lessons have made a difference in the way I now see....

Susan Peltonen
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I also would like to add my heartfelt thanks to you, Johannes, for a fantastic webinar course! The time and dedication you put in to make every little detail come together and give us the best of your self was phenomenal! I can not begin to tell you how much I have learned from your instruction these past 12 weeks. I work mostly from photographs, so this course was a real eye opener! Your expertise along with the "golden nuggets" you so generously shared are sure to improve my paintings immensely! I will no longer be a slave to the photograph!! I have purchased several of the books you recommended, and are finding them to be extremely helpful. I know I will be referring to them often.

My thanks and appreciation also go out to Robert (your notes were terrific!), to Judy, to Ken, and to all those involved behind the scenes. Also a big thanks to F&W for making this course possible.

I hope you will be able to give more of these webinars in the future!

Ruthie57
04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I haved loved these classes. I only missed one weekend when I was away and will buy that one...and maybe more.
Johannes, you have taught me so much I had no idea of and you have shown me things that I already knew but didn't know I knew!
Thank you to you and all the team for the huge amount of work put in to bring this teaching to us all!
I vote for more webinar courses in the future.......

elsie50
04-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Thank you to you, Johannes, Kenneth, Judy, Robert and all of your team, for making the weekend something to look forward to... I have thoroughly enjoyed and learnt so much.. I was out this afternoon do a bit of plein air.. Feel far more confident, almost as if I know what I am doing Lol... Was watching with my husband, who doesn't paint, but I now have my own critique partner Lol... Thank you again.. I have started to buy the lessons as well...

valh
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Thank you Johannes. It was a great class! I guarded my time spent online jealously. The whole family knew not to bother me tween 1-3 pm on the weekends. I learned an awful lot and am grateful to have the videos downloaded so i can reference them often. Thank you!!

Thank you Kenny for your time and knowledge.
Thank you Robert for really really wonderful notes! I don't know how you do that!
Thank you Judy. You must have at least as much patience as Johannes. =)

And a special thank you to Patty for sharing her family and her weekends with thouands all over the world. I know it was a big deal and a large sacrifice.

I hope this type of class can happen again and I also wish all of you as much success as you can handle.

Cheers
Val

99country
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Thank you so much Johannes for the past three months of lessons. I have taken college courses, workshops, read books and magazines, but you have taught me more in 3 months then what I've learned in the past. You made it much easier to understand...it was like a light bulb going off in my head...I finally get it after all these years. I see a real improvement in my oil paintings. You are a fantastic teacher and F&W should capitalize on your talent with further classes as I feel this is just the beginning of a good thing. I have purchases all the downloads now available and some of the recommended books so that I can keep reviewing the secrets that really are the gems of a finished painting. Thanks to Robert for his notes and Kenneth for sharing his art knowledge & talent and Judy for her hard work of editing the videos and F&W for it's sponsorship. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

susanc
04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Well Jo, here we are once again--at the end of the scheduled webinars! I will really miss you. I have have had many instructors, but none better than you. Thank you so much!

I remember how relieved I was to find out that I would have the opportunity to buy the downloads and revisit the classes as much as I need. (Probably be a lot!) I need every single one of them!

Thanks, Johannes, Ken, Judy, Robert, Patty, and F&W Media. I can't say it any better than everyone before me. You've all made a huge difference in my life. Thanks for making it better! ♥ I have wanted to paint landscapes for years, and to find help of this quality to help make this dream closer to reality was the best thing that's happened to me as an art student. (F&W--Joe's the best! I'm not interested in anyone else!) ;) Hope everything goes well for all of you...
Susan

dansmom
04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you Johannes and FW Media for making these classes possible. I have attended many workshops with good teachers, but never have I learned so much! Johannes, you are an amazing artist and teacher. We are so lucky to have been able to participate. It would be great to have a series of classes based on watercolor. I have purchased most of the recommended books, but none are as good as a book written by Johannes would be! I have also purchased the first downloads and anxiously await the next ones to be released. Thanks again for helping me become a better artist!!!

Artglo
04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Thank you, thank you. Thank you everyone, FW media, Robert, Kenneth, Judy and Johannes. Your patience and your understanding was so refreshing. I prefer oils but your demo in watercolor was great. I took a couple of workshops in watercolor and got very frustrated with them so I haven't touched them since. I learned more in that one demonstration you did than in the workshops I took, thank you. You are a very good teacher, I'll miss the classes very much. I was one of the "lurkers" that didn't post, but I listened to every word and I did do some of the homework even tho I didn't post it I was always a bit late). I also enjoyed reading everyone's postings, what a nice group. Thanks again, Artglo (Gloria) PS Just to note, I never had any trouble getting in to the class.:

artist_lynne
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
I want you to know that you have helped me also, with your generous sharing of your experience. I have learned so much from your webinars, your demos, your teaching. I thank you very much Johannes..I thank Ken for his patience with all the questions, Robert for his notes, Judy for her recording and who knows what else? and your wife for understanding you, as I feel she does.. I enjoyed my experience immensely and more than that, I know I will improve my painting because of what I have observed and heard. I could not have paid for this right now--- thank you from my heart.

robertsloan2
04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you to everyone who enjoyed my notes and used them. I shared them because no one complained about them flooding the forum. I did them because I needed to in order to keep up with Johannes come rain or shine, pain or wellness - and it worked. I can't believe it. I couldn't believe until today how much I have changed and how much of what I've studied has come back to me through my hands - coming out right.

It seems a bit silly to do this in a talk thread but I have to post today's sketch here. I have been doing cat contours for years now, several years. Everyone likes my cat contours, they're concise and accurate and fluid, I get the gestures right. I put in plenty of practice on that subject.

Today's was different.

I worked from a photo and drew the space around the cat. I contoured the space with the color of the blanket and then drew the cat's markings on the cat shape as separate abstract shapes, the tail piece as one shape and each black head spot as a shape and the modeling shadows as abstract shapes. I recognized the reference as a good one with a lot of great shapes.

It provided 75% of the information I needed, because I flew on this. Went totally wordless right-brain intuitive. Did not think about "Must do abstract shapes." Just did them. And then I filled in the shapes.

Here it is, the zen of cat drawing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2011/70184-4-18-2011-Poindexters_Bath-photo-by-Lisa-Polo-Inktense-Blocks.jpg

I'd work on gradation and actual soft edges developing this into a painting. But just doing it as today's impulse cat sketch, it went leaps beyond any cat sketch I've ever done. I went back to my subject comfort zone and there was Johannes, there was everything I learned coming out in my hands.

I knocked back the greens in the blanket without thinking so the black and white cat would have more intensity.

I've got lead-ins along his leg and his tail and the folds of the blanket drawing the eye toward his head. I've got form and dimension and he looks like a Devon Rex - a muscled, bulging, big-eared, big-footed cat with very defined anatomy and a short coat that shows it.

I couldn't have done this before. I'm considering entering it in "Strokes of Genius: Exploring Line" because with line alone I had the proportions right - by not doing them, by negative drawing them. By drawing shapes, not a cute cat, even though I am a sucker for cute cats and any cat that meets me knows it and mugs me for attention.

That's what you gave me. Every single subject or medium I do is transformed. From now on, when I paint my summers, Mistress Greengown takes center stage and the chorus dances in lavender - and she has harmony. The illusion happens. The viewers know the forest is green because there she is out front - just in the halftones, the shadows go toward violet and the afternoon sun toward orange.

I knew that in novels it didn't matter if a New York street grew an extra block to put in the building the story takes place in. I knew Stephen King whipped up whole towns in Maine and even in contemporary novels, the point is not to provide the Google map of the place and the biography of every real resident. Do it well and people drive around Maine looking for them.

Now I know that if I paint Mount Rushmore, the only thing a viewer is going to argue about is if I put the wrong Presidents in or get them in the wrong order. They don't know or care whether the foreground cloud was really there, how tall the pine was or where I decided the top of the mountain would fall in relation to the edge of the painting. If I put Lincoln in center stage and cut off the others, they'll assume they're there as long as the edges of the painting cut them off or some tree gets in the way. That's the likeness.

Trees grow. Rocks erode. Wind blows, it rains, clouds move, flash floods happen, almost everything in the landscape does change. So why I couldn't put the pretty boulder behind me into the beautiful creek in front of me with the sagebrush by my elbow next to it was only a set of blinkers.

You've given me so much I don't begin to know how to thank you, so here it is again. Thank you.

karan55
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I also would like to add my sincere thanks to you, Johannes, for a truely amazing webinar course! Your time, passion and dedication made every class a unique and powerful learning opportunity. I can not begin to tell you how much I have learned from your instruction these past 12 weeks. Your expertise and the "golden nuggets" you so generously shared are sure to improve my paintings! I promise I will no longer be a slave to the photograph!! I was painting today and your voice was coming through loud and clear......abstract shapes....melodic lines...variegated and gradated color.....connect your darks....stay true to your value plan.................WOW! WHat a Gift!!! THank you so much!!! I just hope I paint something to make you proud of all your teaching efforts!

My thanks and appreciation also go out to Robert (your notes were terrific!), to Judy, to Ken, and to all those involved behind the scenes. Also a big thanks to F&W for making this course possible.

I hope you will be able to give more of these webinars in the future!

B4painter
04-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Students Thoughts? There is not enough space here to record all my thoughts on what Johannes has given us all! Those golden nuggets that mutiplied with each passing week! Being a cancer survivor of 7 years, the first years were devisating and along with many down days, I found art! Art is a great Therapy for anyone with major depression, bi polar, etc.! Without it I can tell you I would not be here today to add my thanks to all of yours. I found myself disabled and with fibermyalgia at a youngish age. I have not "worked" since I was diagnoised and art has been my salvation.

Finding ones self with limited income in which to splurge on lessons and learning was a temporary setback. I hungered to know more & ever since I heard about Johannes he has been my mentor, my teacher and my friend. Although I had never met him, nor he, I, we bonded immediately through the internet and a common denomenator! I have learned so much, gained confidence in my works and produced work beyond anything I had imagined was possible with my limited talent! No book could ever teach me all the things I've learned. His way of teaching; drill the basics into our brains with such sly skills. Johannes was able to repeat his secrets so skillfully that we did not even realized we were learning! I now feel like I know so much; secrets that no other would tell. I want to shout to the world...tell everyone what he has accomplished in a few months! I want to share the joy, tell others about his gift, teach other people, and pass on my newfound knowledge to anyone and everyone.

Lastly I want to reach through this computer screen and grab onto F & W Media. Tell them that this is something very big! Don't dissapoint all of us who were offered the opportunity to join Johannes and his son as they gifted us with his caring and compassion as we recieved his gifts with open arms.

Thank you will never be enough to show my appreciation and admiration for what he has done for artist all over the world. :grouphug: I wish all the best to my fellow artist (especially Robert for his notes) and to Johannes, his son (Ken), Judy, his video man and all who helped him to accomplish these wonderful internet classes.

dcorc
04-19-2011, 05:16 AM
I congratulate Johannes, and all those who have gained so much from this series of webinars.

However, there's one thing I keep seeing being stated here, over and over, which I feel deserves to be addressed and challenged:

secrets that no other would tell.

I note that many of you posting here have very small numbers of posts on the site - it seems to me that in many cases, your involvement to date, with WC, has only been with Johannes webinars.

I'm also aware that much art teaching is poor. Our art schools and universities are populated with people who cannot paint, cannot draw, and have no respect for those who can.

However - if you look around you, out into the wider set of forums making up WetCanvas - there are many members freely sharing their information, knowledge and processes to the community.

There is a great deal of excellent teaching and mentoring going on right across this site (including many areas being addressed at, frankly, a more advanced level than what's been presented here).

Admittedly, this information is currently being conveyed by text and still images, rather than by video - my expectation is that other webinar instructors will be recruited from among the membership in due course and have the same opportunity to present their ideas interactively.

However, the assertion that Johannes is unique, does something of a disservice to many other members here who have been sharing their knowledge freely (that is, both generously being forthcoming with information, and doing it for no financial reward) for years.

Dave

Yorky
04-19-2011, 05:44 AM
If you check out Watercolor Demos you will find several videos. What is different here is live interactive video and I am looking forward to other wetcanvas experts giving their webinars.

Doug

*Deirdre*
04-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I congratulate Johannes, and all those who have gained so much from this series of webinars.

However, there's one thing I keep seeing being stated here, over and over, which I feel deserves to be addressed and challenged:

I note that many of you posting here have very small numbers of posts on the site - it seems to me that in many cases, your involvement to date, with WC, has only been with Johannes webinars.

I'm also aware that much art teaching is poor. Our art schools and universities are populated with people who cannot paint, cannot draw, and have no respect for those who can.

However - if you look around you, out into the wider set of forums making up WetCanvas - there are many members freely sharing their information, knowledge and processes to the community.

There is a great deal of excellent teaching and mentoring going on right across this site (including many areas being addressed at, frankly, a more advanced level than what's been presented here).

Admittedly, this information is currently being conveyed by text and still images, rather than by video - my expectation is that other webinar instructors will be recruited from among the membership in due course and have the same opportunity to present their ideas interactively.

However, the assertion that Johannes is unique, does something of a disservice to many other members here who have been sharing their knowledge freely (that is, both generously being forthcoming with information, and doing it for no financial reward) for years.

Dave
I second this, the whole ethos of WetCanvas is that it is a place for artists to share their art, disseminate their knowledge and gain from others - who also share theirs. There are so many professional artists; semi-professional; talented amateurs and improvers and beginners...we attract them all....and they all gain from exhibiting their work and getting or giving help where needed.

Johannes is an artist too, but above that he is an excellent communicator who has the ability to TEACH EFFECTIVELY using the webinar as a tool.

His USP if you like is that he was the first to use it, and I'm fairly sure that many others will be happy to use the webinar system. Id' be happy to join in all of them as I find it very useful and effective! I look forward to Johannes doing another too...as I love his voice...such a well modulated tone!:heart:

However...my advice for the newcomers...is to look around Wetcanvas...especially in our teaching sections...in every medium and subject - there's an absolute wealth of it!:D

m50paul
04-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Johannes,

I have just recently picked up painting as a hobby and found your classes exceptionally (understatement) helpful..... Your subject area knowledge and teaching skills are surpassed by none...... You have inspired me and set me on fire! What can I say but thanks!!!!:clap:

Windrawings
04-19-2011, 08:05 AM
It took a lot to pull off a project like this and you are a wonder. Many people gave so much so that we could know what you know. Even the crazy technical challenges didn't stop you. You have a lot of students who think you are something special and I am no different.

Thank you Johannes for giving us all you have while you gave up your weekends. Thank you to Judy, for the experise required to pull this off. Thank you to Keneth for all he has done for us including the nudges to Johannes as to when to stop painting. Thank you to Robert for the lovely notes you made for all of us, btw great cat lol.

Mostly thank you to Johannes for your humility in allowing us to know that we are not alone with the numbers of paintings in our basement ;0) and knowing when to stop is a curious animal.

I look forward to other classes with you as you are a wonderful instructor. Although oils were "the only" medium before your class you have inspired me to try pastels and water colour. I am happy to report that I see myself using all three mediums in future. I am in love with them all and it's all your fault.

Sincerely,
Jackie

gpd2543
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Johannes, As a retiree and a full time caregiver for my husband, I always wanted to take art classes, ones that taught the why of something not just how to paint a tree or bush. I was looking for something that would explain the reasoning behind what I was supposed to do so that I could build on what I learned and didn't need an instructor to tell me what brush to pick up and what stroke to put on the canvas.
I believe that your course was equivalent to any full time college course in composition, values, colors and for lack of any other way to say it, the why an artist should do something.
I was amazed at the amount of time you must have spent on prep, and follow up to students questions as well as critiquing their paintings.
Please teach us some more.
Sincerely
Gale

Windrawings
04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I second this, the whole ethos of WetCanvas is that it is a place for artists to share their art, disseminate their knowledge and gain from others - who also share theirs. There are so many professional artists; semi-professional; talented amateurs and improvers and beginners...we attract them all....and they all gain from exhibiting their work and getting or giving help where needed.

Johannes is an artist too, but above that he is an excellent communicator who has the ability to TEACH EFFECTIVELY using the webinar as a tool.

His USP if you like is that he was the first to use it, and I'm fairly sure that many others will be happy to use the webinar system. Id' be happy to join in all of them as I find it very useful and effective! I look forward to Johannes doing another too...as I love his voice...such a well modulated tone!:heart:

However...my advice for the newcomers...is to look around Wetcanvas...especially in our teaching sections...in every medium and subject - there's an absolute wealth of it!:D

Nicely put Deirdre, I agree with you that he does have a nice voice and is highly effective as an instructor. He has a quality many can identify with in that advanced or not advanced doesn't matter, including his own abilities as an artist. We all learn and we all teach and our heart and soul are available in every work that is shown. I think it is what makes this type of learning so valuable, you can actually see him climb into his paintings and get lost in the love there. This type of an education offers participation and everyone is on the same page. If it were just technique I would have bought a book. He definitely has sticky teaching qualities and cares about whether or not you get it. lol I think he needs to teach more teachers. I also agree with you in that there is a wealth of information on wet canvas and perhaps Johannes has brought many out of the lurking woodwork. I do also look forward to other webinars as perhaps you are correct with saying Johannes has started something. I certainly hope so ;0)

bjornjo
04-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I want to thanks johannes, F&W,robert sloan, judy and all those who have participated with their paintings and exercises without you there would not have became as good and WC this has been a very good since december when i joined. But now we need to practise it without practise its worth nothing. i know i have read alot of what was said in webinar before on WC but he reinforced it. All the sub forums are really excelent which you can learn alot from for example the drawing forum where *deidre* has alot of post even there you can picup compositional tools. This is very good but by no means any end so much to explore. But the strongest echo is use your eyes hopeing to become an good plein air(if we cant judge color good then we cant do good harmony. Do more post and encourage ppl like so many do here( i know i need to get better at that)

gpd2543
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Dave
Dave what you say maybe correct, but how do you find these members?
Gale

dcorc
04-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Dave what you say maybe correct, but how do you find these members?
Gale

One approach is to pick on a few forums which cover your main subjects of interest, and spend a bit of time browsing them. It will soon become clear who the good teachers are.

Another approach is to look for the staff in the forums, Moderators and Guides, who are usually chosen because they are knowledgeable in their areas.

Many of the forums have FAQ (frequently asked questions) threads which link to particularly informative discussions on a range of topics. Also, many of the forums have classroom threads which teach on particular topics.

Note that we also have specific critique forums.

Dave

bjornjo
04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
qpd2543: many of the subforums have hall of fame posts where moderators have choosen important things that have contributed to enlighten stuff or been very good paintings. then there is those who have been here for a very long time doing moderators work who have very much knowledge to name a few name i came to read alot comments from Larry seiler,dcorc,*deidre* ,dana design,yorky. kevin wueste ,roy-p and thats only a few of the moderators not all are moderators any longer but have made MANY posts and all of this community as a whole to enlighten ppl and there is so many of forums i have not visited

but dcorc stated it better. there is also the critique center which you always can learn alot from. But then practise is invalueable

Silverlark
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Great big thanks to Johannes, Kenneth, Robert, Judy, and everyone who posted their homework. This class has opened my eyes to many stunning possibilities. It has also made it easy to look at a painting and know what to do when things go wrong.
The thumbnails, abstract shapes, and value studies were the most valuable information for me, along with the instructions on how to render trees. Also it may seem like a no-brainer, but thinking front to back, and getting in at least 3 planes was also a very big help.

Big big appreciation and applause to you, Johannes, Kenneth, Judy, and Robert!
Theresa Bayer

Windrawings
04-19-2011, 10:09 AM

I have learned something that I haven't been able to learn elsewhere. Just sayin...

Yes that would be me. I had little to say. I also had little to say in class but when asked to post homework you post when you are not too busy.

Hm... I can't believe you just said that.

Agreed

Your kidding right??? I can't believe you said that either.

Perhaps those other members and instructors could read this post before they try anything inovative.

Disservice??? Kidding again right... this is a thank you forum to Johannes and company, or did I miss something. If I have used information given by another member I would have thanked them also. Just by the way everyone is unique and given his ability to teach in this way perhaps he is just so.

Dave

I like to think you are also unique,
Jackie

Little Mary
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
I want to express that I enjoyed your classes on the weekend. I will miss that a lot. Thank you for everyone who were involved getting this going. I would like for him to do more classes in the future. Thank you. :)

dcorc
04-19-2011, 10:53 AM

I have learned something that I haven't been able to learn elsewhere. Just sayin...

Good, but I'm trying to make you aware that there's a lot more to this site than just the webinars. If you also make use of the rest of the facilities here you may find that there are other good learning opportunities too.

Yes that would be me. I had little to say. I also had little to say in class but when asked to post homework you post when you are not too busy.

Its an observation, not a criticism. Again, I'm trying to make you aware there's a lot more to this site than just the webinars, and encouraging those reading here to venture out into the rest of the site and explore. I also realise that for some, webinars better suit the way they learn, and I'm pleased that the site has added them to its repertoire. Hopefully we will have more webinars from Johannes in due course, and more webinars from others too.

Hm... I can't believe you just said that.

Why? It's a comment I'm perfectly prepared to stand by. I'm also willing to bet Johannes agrees with me. As many have already said here, they've learned far more from the webinars than they did in art school - and this is a comment I have also seen many times in relation to this site and other online art-forums. Furthermore, there's a burgeoning market in private ateliers which teach drawing and painting skills precisely because art schools are failing to do so.

Agreed

Good, glad you're aware of it.

Your kidding right??? I can't believe you said that either.

No, I'm not kidding. Just because you are not aware of it, does not mean that it isn't so. There are many topics here which have been covered in more depth by others elsewhere on the site. This is not a criticism of Johannes.

Perhaps those other members and instructors could read this post before they try anything inovative.

There have been discussions among staff about running webinars here which greatly pre-date Johannes, and indeed pre-date the current ownership of the site. I will freely admit that I have unbounded admiration for the way that Johannes has shortcut all the technical reasons why we couldn't do this, by the simple expedient of running them elsewhere. I can assure you that the volunteer staff of this site are as firmly committed to the implementation of as many innovative teaching approaches as we can be!

Disservice??? Kidding again right... this is a thank you forum to Johannes and company, or did I miss something. If I have used information given by another member I would have thanked them also. Just by the way everyone is unique and given his ability to teach in this way perhaps he is just so.

I like to think you are also unique,
Jackie

Yes, you have missed something. You are clearly still not aware of just how much other good educational content is available on this site. You have also missed the fact that most of that has been contributed over more than a decade now, by many members who did not do so in order to gain financially from it.

Again, I'm not criticising Johannes, I congratulate him for a very successful webinar series.

But I also think its important to set the record straight, and make those reading along, aware that there's a lot more to this site (including a lot of other good teachers too), if they explore it.

Dave

Yorky
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Regarding accessible teaching material on this site see the links in my signature for Watercolors, There are similar information threads on most of the forums.

Doug

IrmaH322
04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
I am new posting in WC but I have spent several years "lurking" on different forums and know there are many generous artists sharing their knowledge on WC.One name that comes to mind is Larry Seiler, I have read many of his posts and like his thoughts and analysis as well as his art; I hope Larry will have a webinar as well and will thank and praise him in the appropriate forum. This thread is about "students thoughts about Johannes class" so we are talking about our experience with Johannes on Johannes forum.
I am sure the same will happen when WC offer more webinars with other artists. Maybe others have more knowledge than Johannes but he delivers what he knows very effectively, he establishes a bond with the students and not every teacher can do that and it is what we are expressing here.
I will get involved in the animal and wildlife forum because that is my main area of interest and hope for a webinar related to that.
I have bought more than 120 books from North Light but I think this webinars are the teaching of the future. I am glad WC is offering it.
Forgive the length of this post but this old soul felt chastised by the moderators for expressing my thoughts, in the proper forum, about something good that WC has offered. Waiting for more webinars. Irma

nougat
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
unlike it seems many webinar attendees, i have been a forum member for some years and enjoyed the company and benefitted from the knowledge of many great artists here. i was always careful to thank them and show my appreciation.
in this special thread we are thanking johannes and showing him our appreciation.
not all great artists are also great teachers - he is!
the ability to interact with the tutor is fantastic and will surely make webinars the favourite way of learning.

TerryKrysak
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
This was very timely for me because I watch Susan Carlin paint live in oils every week, and she made me feel less nervous about trying to paint in oils.

I want to thank Johannes very much for an insightfull, thoughtfull, and fun approach to sharing his experience and knowlege about painting.

Without question I learned more in this course than the two all day painting classes we had in the first year of art school in 1971. Our two painting instructors did not paint landscape, and were devoted to non-objective art that did not appeal to me.

What I enjoyed the most about this course was not only Johannes explaining very important concepts, but demonstrating "how to do them", and then backing that up with "why" these concepts make more effective and better paintings.

Thanks again Johannes, your efforts will make all of us better painters.

Many thanks to Robert for his brilliant class notes, they are pure gold because we can't possibly remember everything that was discussed.

Many thanks to Ken for answering questions and providing his input.

Many thanks to Judy for editing the videos.

I hope F & W does more of these, the quality was excellent.

Colorix
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Thank you Johannes, Kenneth, Robert, Judy, and all who have helped, and F+W for the use of the webinar and the forum. It has been amazing, fun, hard work, and new lovely friends made.

To Dave (whom I quote, in shortened form, at bottom):
I've been around for a while, made a few posts or two, and the members of my usual 'haunt', the Pastel Forum, are outstanding in their willingness to help and teach and share experiments. I've seen that many of the other forums are full of generous people, likewise sharing. I'm sure the new people will see the value of 'hanging out' in a forum of their choice.

But I've not seen any other person with the vision to take it to the live interactive level. Obviously the possiblity has been there all the time, it just took one person to discover it and make use of it, in cooperation with the owners. I guess that person had to be a self-admitted workaholic, to be persistent enough to make it happen, and be a trail-blazer. That is 'unique', as very few people do that.

Honestly, I have not seen anything so thorough regarding composition (and its use with reference photos) anywhere else on WC. There was an article in the article library -- wait, that one was written by Johannes, many years ago.

More advanced level? Possibly, I couldn't say as I've not seen it. What I have seen, and learned from, are the traditional steel-yards and the other 14 or so formulas. I've been searching for years for good advice on composition, and how to 'make the photo your own' that doesn't involve memorizing 14 formulas, and then still be at a loss at how to apply it.

I'd say that it is the simplicity of Johannes' teaching that is *the* thing. It is not formulaic, but dynamic. It is the teachings --developed by others and by J -- that were around and well known about a 100 years ago, but nearly lost during that century. It being dynamic means that I can take one of my scenes (or photos), and I can now

a) create an abstract shape that symbolizes a real object
b) and within that abstract shape, variegate the colours
c) within that abstract shape, I can create gradation of light
d) within the abstract shape, I can model 3D by creating smaller abstract shapes of different value and colour, indicating plane-changes.

Simple? Yes. Therein lies the complex beauty of endless variation.

Would I have grasped this by just reading it? No. Did I need a class, with many repetitions, examples, and critique of my and other artist's paintings? Yes. I had to re-train the brain-and-hand connection, and 'un-learn' bad habits, that took time.

Was there more than that? Oh yes, lots of useful tips and tricks. Have I seen them before? Well, a few, but the bulk of it was entirely new to me, who have some 50 instructional books collected over decades, and who have *searched* for knowledge.

Do I agree with everything Johannes says? No, but it is mostly in the realm of personal preferences, for example regarding chroma, or the superiority of pastel over oils.

I'm very glad I had the wits to recognize the value of the classes, together with nearly 4 000 fellow artists.

And it was great fun!

I sincerely hope there will be more of the same, there are other subjects than landscapes, for example.

Dave

sundiver
04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Congratulations to all involved for an excellent first webinar course at WetCanvas! It's great to see a thousand (!) people at a time getting excited about art, together, and Johannes did a super job of teaching. Let's hope these classes continue!

About the rest of WetCanvas (and I don't know where else to put this in WCLive so I'll put it here)

It's true that the non-commercial forums in WetCanvas are a whole different ball game from the Webinar forum. They constitute a community rather than a course that you take from an instructor, and as such the learning and teaching are more indirect.

The webinars are about instruction. The other forums are about sharing and learning together, instructIVE more than instructION. Both have their place and value. In the webinars the rewards for participants are direct and immediate- you are being instructed. (And hopefully the instructor gets enough renumeration to make his time and preparation worthwhile, but in the meantime he is doing all the giving.)

In the forums it is a continuous give-and-take. We can start a thread asking for critiques and advice, but it is also expected that we give support to others and comment in their threads, encourage beginners, etc. We also learn by reading other members' threads and the advice given to them. The learning is more gradual, but it still happens.

So members who joined WetCanvas specifically to take Johannes' course may find the regular forums are also a good fit while they wait to see if F&W continues the webinars. Or they may not; it's a personal decision. To say that you are very welcome in the regular forums and that they also have a lot to offer does in no way negate the value of Johannes' excellent teaching.

Ruthie57
04-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Well said Charlie! I agree with almost every word.
Well said also Wendy!

beejane
04-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Dave
This just doesn't seem right to me! Whoever opened this thread, did it because he wanted to acknowledge Johannes's teaching. To suggest that there are better and more advanced teachers should perhaps have been done in a thread of it's own, and perhaps not by a moderator who should be calming the flames not fanning the fire.
Some of us did post regularly here and have gradually stopped, as you can tell by the lack of participation in the landscape forums, because of other heavy handedness.
The reason there are so many newcomers here is because somebody told somebody who told somebody etc. etc. that there was something to listen to that was worth while. Forty people who listened before Christmas contacted almost four thousand more and those members could be active wet canvas participants if they are allowed to naturally spread out and find their places.
We all learn differently. The webinar participants kept coming because they were learning at their levels. I have listened to two other webinars associated with this forum, and neither would bring new members to these forums, or increase book sales for FW media. Let others try the webinar route, as no doubt some are attempting to do. A few others here have suggested names of people they think could do a better job. If you look at some earlier remarks by Johannes in December, you would find that the reason Johannes got involved in these forums again was to clear up some incorrect assumptions. Sometimes those that think their way is more advanced don't realize not everyone agrees with them.
I have no wish to test your greater verbal ability but do wish that we could all be civil and polite. Politeness does not mean being passive agressive and congratulating someone while kicking the stool out from under their feet. __________________
Barbara

Windrawings
04-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Good, but I'm trying to make you aware that there's a lot more to this site than just the webinars. If you also make use of the rest of the facilities here you may find that there are other good learning opportunities too.

Its an observation, not a criticism. Again, I'm trying to make you aware there's a lot more to this site than just the webinars, and encouraging those reading here to venture out into the rest of the site and explore. I also realise that for some, webinars better suit the way they learn, and I'm pleased that the site has added them to its repertoire. Hopefully we will have more webinars from Johannes in due course, and more webinars from others too.

Why? It's a comment I'm perfectly prepared to stand by. I'm also willing to bet Johannes agrees with me. As many have already said here, they've learned far more from the webinars than they did in art school - and this is a comment I have also seen many times in relation to this site and other online art-forums. Furthermore, there's a burgeoning market in private ateliers which teach drawing and painting skills precisely because art schools are failing to do so.

Good, glad you're aware of it.

No, I'm not kidding. Just because you are not aware of it, does not mean that it isn't so. There are many topics here which have been covered in more depth by others elsewhere on the site. This is not a criticism of Johannes.

There have been discussions among staff about running webinars here which greatly pre-date Johannes, and indeed pre-date the current ownership of the site. I will freely admit that I have unbounded admiration for the way that Johannes has shortcut all the technical reasons why we couldn't do this, by the simple expedient of running them elsewhere. I can assure you that the volunteer staff of this site are as firmly committed to the implementation of as many innovative teaching approaches as we can be!

Yes, you have missed something. You are clearly still not aware of just how much other good educational content is available on this site. You have also missed the fact that most of that has been contributed over more than a decade now, by many members who did not do so in order to gain financially from it.

Again, I'm not criticising Johannes, I congratulate him for a very successful webinar series.

But I also think its important to set the record straight, and make those reading along, aware that there's a lot more to this site (including a lot of other good teachers too), if they explore it.

Dave

I owe you an apology then, I did think you were criticising. As an artist he is who he is and does as he does. As a teacher he is excellent and conscientious of his students needs. As you suggest wc offers many ways to learn with many experienced people. I will keep my eyes open for further webinars as it seems to be a very good tool for learning, at least for myself. Thank you for clarifying.

granddad
04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Well said Charlie!!! I have been participating in the Pastel forums for the last six years. That’s when I first found this forum. There is a lot of Great Artist here in WC that gives wonderful advice and I have learned from all of them and I have thanked each and everyone for that advice. I wish more of them could do Webinars. My experience with Johannes teaching was outstanding. I attended each and every one of his lessons. I got a ton of books that I have read, but the way Johannes put forth the information really drilled it home for me. I really appreciated Johannes presenting the information in a way that I could relate to it. I sincerely hope that others provide Webinars also. Thanks Johannes, it’s a job well done. james

allydoodle
04-19-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm very glad I had the wits to recognize the value of the classes, together with nearly 4 000 fellow artists.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I agree with everything Charlie has said, so I could copy and quote her whole post, but to save space and time, that sentence says it all. I was going to sit and compose a response filled with the appropriate praise and thanks Johannes deserves, but it would be a virtual repeat of Charlie's response, which was so eloquently stated - no need to repeat it, just to echo it and state that I am grateful I was able to attend every session since December. So much was learned my me, most of which I have not seen in such depth anywhere else (and not so generously and openly offered). I've been painting for over 18 years, own more books than I care to admit, taken lessons, and have never come across the level of in-depth composition, color, and design instruction as I did with Johannes. The things I do not agree with are of a personal nature, which is to be expected (some things like color and chosen medium are personal, not really debatable). The basic things he taught are invaluable to me, much of which I had never seen taken to such a level of intense instruction. None of the books I own ever took the time to disect the landscape the way he did. You can't take that away from him, he did it, he deserves the credit for opening up mine and many artist's eyes in a way no one else has.

This course came at a time for me when I was deciding to really 'jump into landscapes'. My personal art history is of a portrait/still life background, and landscapes were always my nemisis. For the two years just prior to Johannes' webinars, I had purchased a ridiculous amount of books. I was looking for the kind of information I ultimately got from Johannes. The books never had it. None of them. The books he has recommended look very good and I will be reading them (I purchased them but haven't had the time to read them yet, still digesting the webinars and all my notes).

I guess the bottom line for me is, Wet Canvas is a great place to learn. It is a wonderful place to gather and share information. It is a wonderful place to learn (these webinars are proof), the forums are full of great people and possibilities. I know, I use this website regularly, I love it, and I love all the possibilities it offers.

I say thank you to Johannes and his staff (Robert included!), and thank you to Wet Canvas as well for hosting this event.

little miss sunshine
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
My thanks to all involved with the Webinar. Books are great, but a live teacher is soooo much better. The patience with which Johannes presented, and repeated as needed, the concepts made it all the better. The critiques of attendies submitted works added to the learning. I found this Webinar extremely informative and helpful.

Thanks to F&W Media, the added bonus to purchas and download each weekend will make the teachings always available. Being able to purchase the entire course for $108.00 (with the special discount) is a bargain when you consider the price of a comparable workshop, or the cost of other 2 hour instructional DVD's (X 12).

CatinVT
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
I will simply thank Johannes for the mountain of nuggets he gave me. I will take those nuggets and carefully store them along with reference photo's, forum critiques, and, Robert's notes. I don't doubt that this site is a wealth of informatiion for budding and established artists. But, this forum is a venue in which we, as students, can thank our teacher sans the politics.

So, Johannes, I still have a lot to learn, but I thank you without reservation for all that you have shared. I hope to see you again, in the bigger picture, or a workshop outside of the virtual world. It was an amazing trip!
Cathy

firesignart
04-19-2011, 08:55 PM
thanks to wetcanvas and Johannes and all that put this together. I will try to get some of the classes soon. Appreciate your well thought out instructions experienced demos with lots of basics and tips. I recommend it thoroughly!

wetbob
04-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by Colorix

That pretty much sums it up for me. I agree with everything Charlie has said, so I could copy and quote her whole post, but to save space and time, that sentence says it all.

I agree!!!!!

Dave, Johannes gave so much fine information, you ll have to look for years to find it all. Especially for beginning landscape artists, these lessons must be heaven.
I too often see people posting paintings, and things that go wrong won t be mentioned, while most of us see it. And the others don t know these little secrets.

I think i don t agree with you dave, you re a little bit of window dressing, and i want to thank Johannes again for all his efforts!

WB

In the forums it is a continuous give-and-take. We can start a thread asking for critiques and advice, but it is also expected that we give support to others and comment in their threads, encourage beginners, etc. We also learn by reading other members' threads and the advice given to them. The learning is more gradual, but it still happens.

WC is a great place for fellow artists

dcorc
04-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Sigh.

Nobody is being "admonished". Nobody is being "jumped on for thanking the instructor".

On the contrary, I have repeatedly congratulated Johannes for his successful set of webinars.

All I am pointing out, to those who have not ventured outside of this forum, is that WC is a large site, which they are encouraged to explore. There are other good teachers on the site too.

This forum, and these webinars, are not the only repository of good information on this site.

Dave

Yorky
04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Now the Johannes webinar is finished the Wetcanvas Live Forum has now been moved to the Learning Center.
(http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=7)
Future webinars will be located in the Learning Center.

Doug

Rosemarie
04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Now the Johannes webinar is finished the Wetcanvas Live Forum has now been moved to the Learning Center.
Future webinars will be located in the Learning Center.

Doug

Yorky - there is no indication that the Wetcanvas Live forum was all about Landscapes!!!

eslart
04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Johannes for sharing his knowledge of art techniques with us. I have been painting for about 10 years and have taken other workshops and none compare to yours. The webinar course was the greatest!!! You certainly know how to teach and present the material. Also many thanks to those who worked with you...Kenneth, Judy and to Robert Sloan for his notes. I do hope there will be other webinars from you in the future. Again, many thanks.

Johannes Instructor
04-20-2011, 09:40 AM
I also want to thank Kenneth, Judy and Robert for all of their contribution.

carol_lee
04-20-2011, 10:03 AM
There should at least be a notice on the landscape forum about the move... I had it bookmarked so had no problem but I am sure there are many that can't find it!!!

Yorky
04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Your bookmarks will be automatically redirected. I placed a note in the Landscape Forum.
Yorky - there is no indication that the Wetcanvas Live forum was all about Landscapes!!!
Future webinars will no doubt cover various aspects of art.

Doug

J.Lloyd
04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Johannes,
Thank you so much for this wonderful series of classes. I was fortunate in being able to attend all the classes, only losing part of one painting demo when the computer service malfunctioned. In addition, with the exception of one book, I purchased all the books you recommended and know that I will spend many hours reading those. Every one of Robert's notes has been downloaded and most all of them have been printed out on 30 lb stock - they have been compiled with your weekly handouts and "Answers to Class Questions" as well as Kenneth's excellent tutorials. The cumulative stack is now moving on to nearly 3 inches in height! You have truly brought art and painting to the masses! (of all kinds) I have downloaded a couple of the classes and will be adding to those for the complete set over the next few weeks.

I am quite new to learning how to paint, and in fact, have not painted much at all. Back in December I was so happy to come into your brief classes, knowing that the information would serve to provide the basis of an education that would be difficult to find elsewhere. From there it moved into the January classes and I was even more certain that as difficult as it was for me to grasp certain ideas and techniques that it was very important to hang on as best I could. Thank you for your wonderful teaching style - the repetition may have been lost on those more experienced, but for me it brought greater understanding and clarity. I hope you will go on to do more webinars and I will do whatever it takes to attend those.

Thank you also to Kenneth, Judy, and Robert Sloan.

Joan

sapphirelynn
04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
My sincere heartfelt [B]THANK YOU to Johannes, Kenneth and Judy. You have given me the tools that I was looking for. I had been trying to find courses in my local area but as I work I could not find any that would fit into my schedule. This was so perfect for me and there was so much information that I now feel confident. I am just a beginner and I struggled so much with the understanding that I knew I did not know anything. The old saying "the more you know the more you know you don't know" applied so much to me because I am an 'information gatherer' in other words I had been searching through books, magazines and videos but knew that I still did not have enough information to really paint. People would look at my painting and be so impressed at how well I paint but I know I was only a very good 'photocopier' lol So once again I say THANK YOU and a thank you goes out to Robert, as well all the participants who contributed. I have printed all his notes, the handouts, the Q&A as well as some of the critiques. I have purchased some of the books and the first half of the videos and am going to buy two more books and the other half of the videos, This is MY way of saying thanks.....Hugs Sapphirelynn

Rosemarie
04-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Your bookmarks will be automatically redirected. I placed a note in the Landscape Forum.

Future webinars will no doubt cover various aspects of art.

Doug
That is my point. How will people know which threads are about landscape painting? Could they have been put in its own sub-forum, or folder or something, to keep them together and also tell viewers what they are about?

Amandine
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Future webinars will be located in the Learning Center.Doug
Thanks Yorky for this notice. As you wrote, there's so much to discover in the whole WC site.

*Deirdre*
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
That is my point. How will people know which threads are about landscape painting? Could they have been put in its own sub-forum, or folder or something, to keep them together and also tell viewers what they are about?
Rosemarie...don't worry, this has all been well thought out and will become clear as we roll out the other webinars!:)

paskavau
04-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Incredible 12 weeks are over. I learned so much in these months and will miss the webinar a lot.
Many thanks to Johannes, Robert, Kenneth, Judy and all who managed the webinar

Johannes, please teach us some more.

I hope there will be a further webinar in the future

Klaus

Yorky
04-20-2011, 01:13 PM

The Wetcanvas Live forum is all about online teaching and that is why the Learning Centre is the appropriate forum. Other topics will be covered in due course.

Unless part of a webinar assignment Landscapes go in the Landscape forum or the appropriate medium specific forum or both as usual.

Doug

Rosemarie
04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Rosemarie...don't worry, this has all been well thought out and will become clear as we roll out the other webinars!:)

I sure hope that because one can't see in the titles that the threads are about landscape painting. A new comer wouldn't know where to start and will not find anything about horse or what ever.

robertsloan2
04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Doug, I can see why the whole forum got moved into the Learning Center. However, when a webinar is as big as this one it might be a good idea to give that one its own subforum. Especially as the recordings sell and new students follow it but want to read the old threads and get input from other students.

I know that when I sign up for another course, I'd feel a bit odd about posting my notes on it into the exact same thread, making it harder for people to find the notes on Johannes class. It might get confusing. Each course would need its own set of threads. Maybe a subforum could be created within the WC Live! forum per course, so it's easier to find the handouts for the course you're in, any notes on it, older critique threads etc.

I definitely agree that's probably the best home for "all webinars" because that's the intuitive place to look if I was coming in from outside.

Also, doesn't the Learning Center connect to that long series of ongoing drawing classes in the Drawing and Sketching forum? Long ago, some teachers set up a complete drawing and rendering course in a subforum in Drawing and Sketching. It's extremely thorough. I looked into it because I wanted to do one of the 102 specialty topics and found out you have to finish the 101 topics before doing any of the 102 ones - and when I looked into 101, realized this was a good thing.

I came to it from having drawn all my life, pretty experienced, but being self taught I had some gaps in my drawing skills. Anyone who's having trouble rendering accurate shapes when it matters - faces, figures, animals - the Drawing 101 classes always have moderators, guides and other volunteers helping and critiquing anything that's posted in them.

I also devoutly hope Johannes still has the time and interest to keep interacting in here now and then. His critique is priceless, every time he comments on a painting hundreds of others learn too!

Yorky
04-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I am pretty sure something like that will ensue Robert. Wetcanvas Live was created in a hurry as an experiment and if the experiment continues to grow it may have to be re-jigged as a main forum with the webinars as separate sub forums.

Technology is always improving and I applaud F+W for grasping the opportunity.

Doug

Johannes Instructor
04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I am pretty sure something like that will ensue Robert. Wetcanvas Live was created in a hurry as an experiment and if the experiment continues to grow it may have to be re-jigged as a main forum with the webinars as separate sub forums.

Technology is always improving and I applaud F+W for grasping the opportunity.

Doug
From my point of view it was not created in a hurry. I already had the material, the experience and the know how to do this online. Nothing what I did was improvised. As far as I am concerned the result was a done deal the moment it began.

nougat
04-21-2011, 01:43 AM
the webinars did have a couple of minor teething troubles regarding the level pc knowledge of the attendees. however johannes was extremely patient and helpful and we all did our best to help each other too.

the content, however, was excellent. our tutor more like a friend.

TMOORE13
04-21-2011, 06:44 AM
thank you Johannes and all involved in making it happen..not sure how many beginning painters were there, but i have so much to wrap my head around .i find myself thinking about what i want tp paint and how to do it,instead of just jumping in and trying to paint and fixing problems later.i know the WHY of a painting now..i will miss the weekend webinars, but at least i can replay them and take my time with the information..1 question..is there a way to get Roberts notes in a downloadable pdf, like the weekly handouts?...thanks again...

flowergram
04-21-2011, 08:47 AM
thank you Johannes and all involved in making it happen..not sure how many beginning painters were there, but i have so much to wrap my head around .i find myself thinking about what i want tp paint and how to do it,instead of just jumping in and trying to paint and fixing problems later.i know the WHY of a painting now..i will miss the weekend webinars, but at least i can replay them and take my time with the information..1 question..is there a way to get Roberts notes in a downloadable pdf, like the weekly handouts?...thanks again...

I might be able to help with that, let me know if this will work for you before I go to the work of converting them all... You'll have to click on each page and save them to a folder on your computer.

http://www.carleys.net/paintings/robertsnotes.html

Grainne
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Wow, that works beautifully! How nice of you! :)

Grainne

LynnM
04-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I saw somewhere that someone has already done the conversion and they are posted elsewhere......anyone remember that? Was that you, Flowergram?

painter 55
04-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I am already missing the class. I'm watching the videos and will paint from sample photos used in the classes. Loved the class and wish to say Johannes is the best teacher I've encountered over many years.

flowergram
04-21-2011, 02:47 PM
I saw somewhere that someone has already done the conversion and they are posted elsewhere......anyone remember that? Was that you, Flowergram?

Rats! No, I didn't see it anywhere else. Oh, well, if I didn't see it, maybe others didn't either. Here they are again, it's all good...

R Leon
04-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Analia converted Robert's notes to pdf format. Here is a link to the discussion about that early in the classes. See entry #7 to start then follow the thread to where she posts how to get them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872812

Mary 2
04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you. I learnt a lot.

Laura2011
04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
What can I say that hasn´t been said already and much better than I could express. Thank you Johannes for the webinars. Thank you also to Kenneth, Judy and all the team that made this possible. Also thank you to Robert for his notes which were of great help.

The experience was incredible and I hope will soon be repeated. Thank you again.

MarjorieCurl
04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Johannes, your class was wonderful. I have been painting watercolor for about 5 years and oils for many years. I learned so many things from your class. It is amazing how much we can learn and still have more to learn. I have been practicing what I learned in your class and sharing it with other artists. I look forward to be able to express my thoughts in my paintings with the lessons you taught us. You have filled my head with so much new information. I look forward to any future classes you might teach. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Marjorie

winecountry
04-21-2011, 08:43 PM
whoo hoo fantastic discovery today, because I'm showing my work more lately, I've been winning a few awards, and joining some local art groups, sort of coming out of the closet so to speak as an artist. Because of the recognition, some people come up to me and want me to critique their work. something I usually at all costs avoid, I never know where to start and I'm just useless in being socially correct.

Today was so cool! when some one came and hauled me over to see, a novice piece but sincere...I had a place to go, I told them of Jo's dvds, and classes then said "lets just look at one thing he talks about, the no fly zone he calls it"
and went on to explain and point it out. Just like magic she understood, I didn't have to drone and on and she found by herself the places where it was violated

OMG THANK YOU JOHANNES, this is one reason I never go out and join groups, I never know where to start or how to talk a language they understand, since I've been through the university art system B A and MA and lots of art history to boot.....It made me feel so good to have a simple easily understood non academic way to show and explain to her, and to feel like I really helped instead of confusing her. And to have something to point her to that she can now do for herself....the dvd's

winecountry
04-22-2011, 03:28 AM
boy o boy what a mess, just read a whole section of this thread I missed.... but maybe everyone had to say what they felt was important...so as my granddaddy used to say, time to draw a kindly veil, and move on.....

this thread is a thank Johannes and all the people involved with the webinar he put on so THANK YOU ALL and in my experience of 40 years of painting, degrees, classes, books and workshops Johannes IS unique, he has the gift of making memorable phrases, easily remembered of just a few words , that codify a whole bunch of concepts. Memorable metaphors that just slide into place and keep neatly stored in the mind so they can actually be remembered. That's a first and I've been all over this site, and a lot of the art world, like a perpetual student. There's been lots of help and a lot of tripe, and some memorable guides like Larry Selier, but no one quite like Johannes.

Of course some of the experienced long time artists like Dave here might know all this stuff, and so wonder what all the fuss is about, but those of us who've been toiling in the fields know a golden nugget when we find it and so just can't help but want to say a special thanks

and Dave if you worked hard to help the webinar go on, thank you too.:thumbsup:

Yorky
04-22-2011, 03:37 AM
The principles, implications and arrangements for the webinars were discussed extensively by the moderators whilst they were being planned. I can only hope that F+W has the facilities to continue the series which has been so popular and let's face it has attracted many new members to their site.

I do encourage the new members to explore the site and take part in some of the many medium and subject specific forums (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/).

Doug

winecountry
04-22-2011, 03:56 AM
good Idea Yorky, Johannes webinars brought many new people to WC and we oldtimers did our best to help them navigate through the protocols necessary to use it, we spent time every meeting helping them and every meeting WC was mentioned and promoted.

Probably why you all got so much flack earlier, we did a lot of work to help WC and the newbies, then comes the mess earlier...no good deed goes unpunished my grandaddy used to say....

It will be very interesting to see if another artist can draw a group the size of the one he got, I guess then you'll know if it is his special gifts that made it happen or just the new way it was taught.

Johannes Instructor
04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
whoo hoo fantastic discovery today, because I'm showing my work more lately, I've been winning a few awards, and joining some local art groups, sort of coming out of the closet so to speak as an artist. Because of the recognition, some people come up to me and want me to critique their work. something I usually at all costs avoid, I never know where to start and I'm just useless in being socially correct.

Today was so cool! when some one came and hauled me over to see, a novice piece but sincere...I had a place to go, I told them of Jo's dvds, and classes then said "lets just look at one thing he talks about, the no fly zone he calls it"
and went on to explain and point it out. Just like magic she understood, I didn't have to drone and on and she found by herself the places where it was violated

OMG THANK YOU JOHANNES, this is one reason I never go out and join groups, I never know where to start or how to talk a language they understand, since I've been through the university art system B A and MA and lots of art history to boot.....It made me feel so good to have a simple easily understood non academic way to show and explain to her, and to feel like I really helped instead of confusing her. And to have something to point her to that she can now do for herself....the dvd's
I'm so glad all this is rendering fruits for you Colleen. You always had that drive to improve. That's what did it. You deserve the credit.

edtree
04-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Johannes's promise--from day one--was that any artist, from beginner to advanced, who followed his advice, would see marked improvement in their paintings.

He delivered on that promise!

I have been an active and participating member of the WC forums here for years and will state as fact that what Johannes provided was unique and unequivocally beneficial to our growth as artists. Members here are hungry for interactive-style guidance and Johannes's method of using visual analogies along with pertinent and memorable phrases instilled (for life) the lessons we were privileged to attend.

Instead of trying to wrench members away and disburse them around the site, perhaps an expansion of the ideology should be considered.

And since the true reason for the thread is appreciation, I would like to thank you, Johannes, and all that helped you bring this valuable service to us. Because of the gained confidence I now have, I have accepted an instructor’s position at our local Art Center. I would not have done this a year ago. I am forever in your debt.

Elizabeth

dcorc
04-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Instead of trying to wrench members away and disburse them around the site,

Sigh. I'll reply on this issue one last time.

Nobody is trying to "wrench members away" - all I have tried to do is to point out to those who have not participated elsewhere on this site, that there ARE other things here too.

I'm trying to make them aware that the site has additional facilities to offer, as well as the webinars.

This in no way diminishes the input of Johannes - its merely an attempt to make people aware that there are other facilities too. It's POSITIVE comment, increasing the range of learning opportunities on offer.

Dave

Johannes Instructor
04-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Johannes's promise--from day one--was that any artist, from beginner to advanced, who followed his advice, would see marked improvement in their paintings.

He delivered on that promise!

I have been an active and participating member of the WC forums here for years and will state as fact that what Johannes provided was unique and unequivocally beneficial to our growth as artists. Members here are hungry for interactive-style guidance and Johannes's method of using visual analogies along with pertinent and memorable phrases instilled (for life) the lessons we were privileged to attend.

Instead of trying to wrench members away and disburse them around the site, perhaps an expansion of the ideology should be considered.

And since the true reason for the thread is appreciation, I would like to thank you, Johannes, and all that helped you bring this valuable service to us. Because of the gained confidence I now have, I have accepted an instructor’s position at our local Art Center. I would not have done this a year ago. I am forever in your debt.

Elizabeth
There have been so many posts in this thread that I can't address them all. That doesn't mean the others posts in this thread are less important. It's just there are so many. I feel compelled to address this one because you have become an instructor. I'm sure after what we all experienced that the students you will be getting will greatly benefit from the solid clear answers you will be giving them give them to solve their problem areas. They too will see the world from the artist's eye and enjoy the ability to create paintings with assertiveness. Just pay what you have learned forward to your students. This is how you pay "your debt".

Dana Design
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Elizabeth

Wrench them away? One of the best qualities of the WC site is that there is something for everyone! And spreading that information is in no way trying to 'wrench members' anywhere. It's an informational, free and very giving site for artists worldwide in order to advance members' artistic work.

For example, why wouldn't a landscapist who paints in oils want to visit the Oils Forum to learn of new techniques, paints, substrates, mediums and brushes. For those willing to step out of their comfort zone, there is a wealth of information here!

No one is trying to wrench anyone. WC is not a cult. WC is merely here to broaden the view of an artist's knowledge.

NorthCarolinaStudent
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh my, here it is the Friday after the last class and I am really feeling this big time. I really miss the fun and anticipation of the classes. I am about 75% finished with my latest painting and have realized that Johannes' teaching has enhanced my technique, color and tone sense. There is a definite benificial difference in my work from before Johannes and after.

I also want to thank all who assisted in the classes.

Elisabeth Cline

winecountry
04-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Sigh.
I'm trying to make them aware that the site has additional facilities to offer, as well as the webinars.

This in no way diminishes the input of Johannes - its merely an attempt to make people aware that there are other facilities too. It's POSITIVE comment, increasing the range of learning opportunities on offer.

Dave
well put, and probably by now the message has gotten across, it was also mentioned the many times we promoted WC in the Chat rooms before each webinar started. As you can see from the oldtimers who have chimed in here, we all felt what Jo gave was above and beyond whatever else we had gotten previously on WC and this thank you thread was to honor that.

NeldaJansen
04-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks to Johannes and his "assistants" for a wonderful course of instruction. When I first got the announcement, I had never heard of Johannes, and joined because it was free (and he had a Dutch name) and figured I'd check it out, not really expecting much. The first class impressed me so much that I told my own oil students about it, and consequently, we would discuss some of the techniques and information during our weekly meetings.

What a wealth of information! And beautifully presented, clear and well organized, and with tons of examples for our understandling. My students and I now have a whole new vocabulary of Do's (abstract shapes) and Don'ts (soup bowls, no-fly-zone, clones, worms, domes, geometric shapes...) We have all enjoyed it so very much.

I just wanted to chime in and say that the effort and instruction was so very much appreciated. Thanks, Johannes!!

Regards,
Nel Jansen

painter 55
04-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I am new to the Wet Canvas with Johannes landscape class. That does not mean that I have not taken a peek now and then at WC. Over many years, I have collected art books, attended many workshops even by highly rated artists; Johannes is very good at sharing valuable information, and he is an excellent teacher. Different strokes for different folks, but my money is on JV. He pulls together and lays it right out there what we artists look for and may overlook in all those art books. He brings it together in a visual package. I'll buy the JV videos and add a book or two. Bravo, JV, I look forward to more of your teaching! You could write a book for use as a reference manual for artists to keep in their work area--"the artist's eye".

zentyme1
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Johannes,

I was sketching a floral composition from a photograph and was in the 'zone' for several minutes when I stumbled onto a slight challenge, suddenly I heard your voice, ' think in abstract-shapes '...needless to say, I did, overcame the obstacle and carried on. It brought tears to my eyes because I don't think that I've ever had an instructor that has made such an ' immediate ' difference in my life...thank you for all your patience and humility.

I'll be purchasing a few classes as soon as the second set becomes available and I'm looking forward to all the 'nuggets' you have for us next...

Cindy, Pacific Coast, Canada

J.Lloyd
04-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Well, it's a little bit after 1 pm, there are no handouts to download, no classes to sign into early at 2-ish, and there won't be any Johannes this afternoon. This is all too depressing for words. I feel like one of the baby bears that's lost Pappa Bear.

Johannes, I hope you are having a good vacation/break. I'm going to run one of the downloads and see if that will make me feel better.

Joan

hewill4giveu
04-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Boy joan im with you there.

jmcedeno
04-23-2011, 02:50 PM
For 20 plus years every October I've been taking workshops with various "top notch" instructors and had to prepare in advance to get registered, pay a high fee ($70-$120) for a 3-hour hands-on class, get up early in the morning and travel few miles, spend a lot in art supplies, food. etc, hear the teacher talking about his/hers artwork for at least 45 min., and at the end get the feeling that I wasted my time and money because the description of the class as advertised did not resemble what took place. So now compare that,with this: Johannes Vloothuis, a real top notch artist and instructor have given us all we need to know to be better painters of landscapes in just 12 weekends two-day-24-3-hour classes and recording videos that we can keep and play anytime over and over for the rest of our lives at a minimal cost of $9.00 per video, and also have Ken Vloothuis another top notch artist to answer our questions as we go along with the class, and last but not least Robert Sloans fabulous notes to reaffirm what we learned in class that also we can read along with the videos, and Judy's tireless contribution editing the videos.
In my wildest dreams I could never had imaging that I could have all that sitting by my PC in the comfort of my home.
WOW, Johannes where were you twenty years ago?

Pinklady219
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
:grouphug: I agree wholeheartedly with Jose, Joan and Cindy, you made me cry too when I read your post. The tears kept coming as I read the rest from you guys. Tears, not only because it is over, but so thankful for having been taught by such a giving person. I will NEVER forget you Johannes! Lots of love and respect, Carol :)

painter 55
04-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Here it is Sunday, another day whether holiday or not, I am missing the Landscape class by Johannes. His words come to my thoughts when I look into painting another landscape and when I review what I have done. Best wishes to all. Now I am waiting for the last six videos to become available. Have they? Are they available and I just don't know? thanks for your help...

Johannes Instructor
04-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Here it is Sunday, another day whether holiday or not, I am missing the Landscape class by Johannes. His words come to my thoughts when I look into painting another landscape and when I review what I have done. Best wishes to all. Now I am waiting for the last six videos to become available. Have they? Are they available and I just don't know? thanks for your help...
They are still in Northlight and I have not received notification that they are ready.

winecountry
04-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Happy Easter all, a time of renewal, and time for all of us to make new paintings that make Johannes proud of us:wave:

Analia
04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
First of all, I´d like to thak Johannes and Ken and Judy for all the effort you put on this, which made possible for people so far away, like me, to receive your knowledge. You are a special teacher for many reasons, that's evidently out of question for every single one of your students. It´s been a pleasure, and all of us from the most advanced to the beginners have come up many steps, in a very friendly environment. That´s why we will never forget.
It´s been an odd journey for me, this summer (I'm in the southern hemisphere) My mother is ill, and somehow the hours I spent with you and my 1000? 2000? fellow artists have been a help to make me think and keep on track. There´s a story behind each name here, though some might not really catch the meaning of what we write.

So thank you again, you're kind, generous, and a great teacher; hope to have some more opportunities to learn from you.

For those who were asking for Robert´s notes on pdf form, I've been posting them on Scribd with his permission, they are available to read online and download here: http://www.scribd.com/Analia6960

:wave:

ColorOfLove
04-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Johannes, I am so deeply grateful for this course. I wasn’t able to come to even half the classes, but came when I could—especially during the value masses presentations—and yet learned so much and developed an approach for the first time to systematic learning instead of being stuck where I am, making effort but with so little result.

I was not able to catch up with the technology, but if there is another course (especially watercolor or sketching/drawing), will manage, I believe, to make it to every class, to figure out the technology step by step, and submit assignments. I did do them! In the meanwhile, so inspired and empowered, I am now pursuing book-directly daily painting and study of basic watercolor skills. Thank you for helping me to learn to focus on basics.

Had I been able to participate earlier, figured out how to go to the forums and write there, I had one bit of feedback on language that might help us artists make all the world a more beautiful place. In Robert’s otherwise beautiful notes, I saw the sketch of “shooting clones,” and there and in your speech I heard about things that “look like bullet holes” in a painting. Along with all the other beautiful golden nuggets you have taught, may I suggest another: that in making the world a better happier, more beautiful place, may we look for the metaphors and language that participate in creating positive experience of all kinds. The use of language rooted in violent experience and concepts is permeating our language more and more. Just as one chooses the palette of colors one will use to paint the painting one wants to paint, may I suggest that as artists of a more beautiful world, we might take responsibility for introducing language which is more beautiful as well, and help the world calm down and get a little wiser as well.

Rather than getting rid of clones using a metaphor reflecting a destructive, rejecting paradigm, such as society is pretty caught stuck in, may I suggest as a for instance finding ideas in the opposite realm, that of constructive, problem solving… say for instance, when seeing apparent “clones,” One might pick language of “bringing out individuality, helping unique personalities to shine” rather than language of destroying clones.
It’s just a thought, and I hope those reading this don’t might my sharing these thoughts on language… we are artists-- we look for what is beautiful and try to share and promote this lovely experience. I hoped that others might want to join with me to make the whole world our canvas for peace, joy and beauty in the realm of language as well as well as our art depicting natural landscape beauty.

Thank you so much for art instruction and helps that made such a difference to my experience and possibilities,

Sincerely,
Joanne

hewill4giveu
04-25-2011, 03:06 AM
For those who were asking for Robert´s notes on pdf form, I've been posting them on Scribd with his permission, they are available to read online and download here: http://www.scribd.com/Analia6960

:wave:[/quote]

This is great and thank you for doing this. You will only get to pdf7 tho and then they wont let you download anymore unless you pay to do it. but its great up to them. thanks

Analia
04-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Teresa, you can register or login with your facebook account in case you have it, it´s all for free. Then you can download all the documents. To see them all in your screen you can go to "my shelf" or scroll down and click over each item.
Hope you´ll be able to get them :)

DeboraM
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Dave

First off, I want to express my deepest and sincere thanks to Johannes, Kenneth, Judy, and all the rest at WC and F&W who made this webinar possible and pulled it off so well that even a rank beginner artist like me could understand not just a couple of concepts, but the whole enchilada!! I will cherish this for the rest of my life and am already implementing so much of what I have learned and have overcome a few fears along the way. (Jo - I finally painted a tree and a rock and they turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. lol)

To F&W - please bring on the webinars! What a wonderful way to both teach and learn from the modern day masters!

In response to Dave (above), I have been with WC for years now and spend a lot of time browsing the various forums and mediums and always come away amazed by the talent that is represented here at WC. I have NOT posted comments during that time simply because who am I, who has such limited knowledge, to assume that I would have anything constructive to add to the conversation? I read and absorb and try to learn from them all, but not posting does not mean I am not "there" or interested. My thoughts on the huge number of "newbies" here on WC as a direct result of Johannes' webinar are that they will find their way around the site and explore every nook and cranny just as I have been doing and you will probably be pleasantly surprised at just how many new visitors to all the various forums there really are now that Johannes has "flung open the doors" to WC so to speak.

We can all learn something from everyone and I try to learn as much as I can from all the other artists here and the many, many books I have purchased from North Light over the years, but Johannes' unique way of teaching and the webinar format has made it all start to click and now when I look through my books I "get it", and I look forward to actually being able to implement the new knowledge and maybe someday I will have the courage to speak up in the other forums as I gain confidence in my own abilities.

Keep up the good work WC - Love you all!!
Debora

dcorc
04-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Johannes' unique way of teaching and the webinar format has made it all start to click and now when I look through my books I "get it",

Good! - excellent, in fact!

I have been with WC for years now and spend a lot of time browsing the various forums and mediums and always come away amazed by the talent that is represented here at WC.

Drawing and painting are skills which are learned, not just by instruction, but by practice. "Talent" (in the sense of "just being naturally good at it") is overrated as a contributory factor - what people call "talent" is usually the result of lots of study and practice. When people say "I can't draw", what they really mean is that they've never been taught how, by someone who knows what they are doing. There are specific techniques for getting proportions correct, for example.

I have NOT posted comments during that time simply because who am I, who has such limited knowledge, to assume that I would have anything constructive to add to the conversation?

Ask questions. Post some work, and ask for help with it.

maybe someday I will have the courage to speak up in the other forums as I gain confidence in my own abilities.

But why wait? One learns more by getting involved, posting your work, and discussing it. There's no reason to be shy. The facilities are here right now, why not make the maximum use of them?

Dave

painter 55
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
OK sir moderator. I have a membership to Artist TV Network, I get 2 art mag subscriptions, I have watched 3 of WC one-hour live workshops, and I've peeked in on WC communications a few times over the past year. I've also stood in masters ateliers and watched them paint while "teaching". It may be true that the material covered by JV is not "new" but I personally witness that his style of teaching, the articulation of voice, the presentation of a man mostly unseen, if you will is NOT easy to come by in art teachers. Why can't you just give it to the man that he may be bringing to his students his own personal gift of teaching. I have had difficulty sitting still for even an hour's presentation by two of your WC live teachers. They do not seem to be comfortable sight unseen, nor are they always appropriate with their voice modulation. That doesn't mean they are not a good teacher. It just means they don't 'speak' to me, nor do they compel me to watch or listen. JV does/did that for me! It appears to me also that his style of teaching has touched others. He's comfortable in his own skin, he's comfortable teaching what he knows. You present yourself like someone who is afraid that WC will dry up on the vine if JV's students don't get spread all over WC. He (JV) held almost 900 students attention 2 days in a row for a minimum of 4 hours, 12 weeks in a row. That speaks to his teaching abilities. Why do I have trouble sitting still for your teachers giving a one-hour live WC demo? I don't think Johannes' students are going to stagnate on the vine I just think they are missing his style of teaching which is a normal result of such dynamic art presentation. It wasn't without flaws, nor is the man, but I give it to him for his teaching abilities. He brought to sight and now to my mind what books as well as a long list of teachers I don't wish to name here haven't done for me. Johannes is a teacher not easily forgotten.

dcorc
04-26-2011, 10:37 PM
painter55 - I have absolutely nothing to do with the selection of teachers for live workshops. They are not "my teachers". My involvement on this site is that I am one of 4 moderators who look after the Oil-Painting forum.

You present yourself like someone who is afraid that WC will dry up on the vine if JV's students don't get spread all over WC.

Eh? This site has literally dozens of forums, with many thousands of members participating in them. There is absolutely no danger of WC "drying up".

If you choose not to avail yourself of the other facilities this site has to offer, apart from the webinars, then fine, thats up to you - but at least you can't say that no-one told you they exist.

All I'm saying to those here who haven't explored round the site, is that they should do so. They may find it useful.

I really don't see why this suggestion should be controversial, or be seen as any criticism of Johannes or his teaching. (And I'll add - I'm making this statement rhetorically, I'm not inviting further debate here on this point. This issue is now closed as a matter for discussion on this thread, and any posts attempting to reopen it will be removed)

He brought to sight and now to my mind what books as well as a long list of teachers I don't wish to name here haven't done for me.

Good, I congratulate him, and you.

Dave

pezk
04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
maybe I missed something but what happened to all the threads? Even from week 1 of the course. Where did they go? Lots of good material in those threads.

Rosemarie
04-27-2011, 08:25 AM
They are moved.
Use this link to get to them http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

Yorky
04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Yes, the Wetcanvas Live forum is now part of the Learning Center (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7) and has been moved from Landscapes.

Doug

Greatblu
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I've not been one to comment either, but Judith (painter 55) kind of said it all. I have been painting for many years, never had opportunity to go to workshops, etc. but watched videos online and been a member of w/c a long time. I've submitted works to the different threads and sometimes received good suggestions, but I find there a lot of kudu's; "Wonderful job", "love your trees", etc. I loved the nuts and bolts of composition, the teaching on hues, and all of the rest of the recent classes. I am very grateful. Now I can go back to my old paintings and realize what is wrong with them. Thank you for the opportunity to comment. And thank you to whomever was involved in the Johannes classes.

carol_lee
04-28-2011, 05:07 AM
maybe I missed something but what happened to all the threads? Even from week 1 of the course. Where did they go? Lots of good material in those threads.

Go to second page (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522&page=2&order=desc) of the forum on the bottom you will see week one

Margail
04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I would like to say thank you to Johannes, Ken, Judy, Robert and Webinar for providing such a wonderful and informative course. I learned so much and experienced great compliments on my trees from my painting friends, it was a good feeling and I was able to pass on my knowledge to them. Thanks again Johannes.:wave: :clap: :clap:

lotus999
05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I feel the biggest compliment that can be given to Johannes is to continue painting, apply the design principles learned that work for you, and follow your own Inner Guidance to discover the artist you are meant to be. Most importantly share your art and knowledge, as Johannes has done for you. -Crystal

Aspiring
05-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I want to let Johannes know that I appreciate all his effort and that I did get a lot from them. Thanks very, very much. I still would like to know what you said about taking green out of your painting...and all would harmonize. I know I must have this wrong, but it might indicate where I am stuck.
JC Smith

Johannes Instructor
05-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I want to let Johannes know that I appreciate all his effort and that I did get a lot from them. Thanks very, very much. I still would like to know what you said about taking green out of your painting...and all would harmonize. I know I must have this wrong, but it might indicate where I am stuck.
JC Smith
Greens are hard to work with and I am not the only one who says this. What works for me is that I tend to substitute greens for more ochres. If you do use green then make sure you can echo it elsewhere such as in shadows, rocks etc,

Aspiring
05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Thank you. Trouble with me is that I do a lot of horse and cow paintings and there is too much green. I am weak in texturing so my greens have been boring.
Did get the Carlson book you rrecommended because I had seen it years ago. What a shock when I got a paper cover and no color! But I have two Margaret Kessler books.

Arantxa
05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Thank you very much Johannes.
This webinar has been like being in a class, but from home. The benefit of asking questions and having homework assessed has been fantastic.
I think this mixture of webinar and interaction with other people(new friends) at the forum is unique.
I have understood (at last) the meaning of values, quicker and clearer with you, than reading it in lots of books.
Your "painting secrets" have been a WOW! and your way of teaching with humour touch a real treat.
Just wonder if you are thinking about doing any other webinar? Please, let us know
Thank you

cosmos05
05-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Johannes webinar really made me open my mind.I had to rethink.He was so clear/concise in his format.Thanks so much.Somehow the times eluded me due toEST.so I was able to download the first 12 lessons and can't find the last lessons can any one direct me to the . Thanks Lorri.

Johannes Instructor
05-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Johannes webinar really made me open my mind.I had to rethink.He was so clear/concise in his format.Thanks so much.Somehow the times eluded me due toEST.so I was able to download the first 12 lessons and can't find the last lessons can any one direct me to the . Thanks Lorri.
They are not up for sale yet.

painterted
05-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Jo, have you tried the new INTERACTIVE acrylics yet? I would like to hear how you found it.

ted

Johannes Instructor
05-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Jo, have you tried the new INTERACTIVE acrylics yet? I would like to hear how you found it.

ted
Interesting you asked me this. I have received an interest from them to sponsor me with their materials. I just received a shipment from them a couple of days ago but the package was missing titanium white and some other products to make a full evaluation. Nevertheless I have done some experiments and so far I am content with the results. This is what I know so far
1. It does not feel like acrylics. Because of its thickness it gets close to oils in that sense. You can see the brushstrokes.
2. It does blend after it is dry like they promise. But I found out you need a thick layer or when you wet and blend it exposes the bare canvas. I would recommend toning the canvas with normal acrylics first so that layer does not get removed.
3. Their slow drying retarder works very well.
For me to assess this completely I will need to do several paintings and see how it handles on a real battle field.
I also learned not to dry it with a hair dryer for this will solidify it and make it next to impossible to blend. Please ask me this question again in a couple of weeks.

We maye finally have the perfect medium.

IrmaH322
05-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Johannes I am glad you are trying Interactive acrylics, I will be very interested in your opinion. When I tried them I found that I had to wait for a pigment to dry before I brush another one on top; otherwise it will feel sticky and cannot slide the brush properly. Maybe I should use one of the mediums. I use the sta-wet palette with the wet sponge so there is no need to spray water too much. I do like them. We are waiting for your next webinar.

Johannes Instructor
05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Johannes I am glad you are trying Interactive acrylics, I will be very interested in your opinion. When I tried them I found that I had to wait for a pigment to dry before I brush another one on top; otherwise it will feel sticky and cannot slide the brush properly. Maybe I should use one of the mediums. I use the sta-wet palette with the wet sponge so there is no need to spray water too much. I do like them. We are waiting for your next webinar.
This would be the same case with oils if you wait two days. The paint is not workable and we would have to wait for several more days. At least with the interactive paints we can get the painting done in one sitting with the advantage that we get the soft edges like oils offers us. Maybe we will finally have the perfect medium. If that is the case I believe more people will paint.

painterted
05-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Johannes, I going to try these interactive paints, but I've never painter with oils or acrylics - question, what basic brushes should I get to start?

thanks ted

robertsloan2
05-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Interesting you asked me this. I have received an interest from them to sponsor me with their materials. I just received a shipment from them a couple of days ago but the package was missing titanium white and some other products to make a full evaluation. Nevertheless I have done some experiments and so far I am content with the results. This is what I know so far
1. It does not feel like acrylics. Because of its thickness it gets close to oils in that sense. You can see the brushstrokes.
2. It does blend after it is dry like they promise. But I found out you need a thick layer or when you wet and blend it exposes the bare canvas. I would recommend toning the canvas with normal acrylics first so that layer does not get removed.
3. Their slow drying retarder works very well.
For me to assess this completely I will need to do several paintings and see how it handles on a real battle field.
I also learned not to dry it with a hair dryer for this will solidify it and make it next to impossible to blend. Please ask me this question again in a couple of weeks.

We maye finally have the perfect medium.

Johannes, this is great news. I'd love to hear your considered opinion of these interactive acrylics. They sound like another good medium is getting a lot better - and the water cleanup doesn't hurt at all. Or the relative fast drying after you're done with all the wet in wet.

Johannes Instructor
05-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Johannes, I going to try these interactive paints, but I've never painter with oils or acrylics - question, what basic brushes should I get to start?

thanks ted
I would use the winsor & newton grey handle brushes for water soluble oils. Also you can use bristle brushes as long as they are not flat. Brights have shorter bristles so they would be stiff enough even when wet.

Pinklady219
05-13-2011, 08:51 PM
My interactive paints came today. I'm going to settle down here and read all about them. Just cannot wait to do a picture tomorrow. I'll pretend I'm listening to Johannes!! (and read the notes) :thumbsup: I miss you guys!

dartistflame
05-14-2011, 01:11 AM
:clap: I haven't been on here much because I have been painting like crazy!!! Today I completed my 3rd painting within a week and a half. ( I have never painted that fast before). I've also been doing lots of studying and listening to the videos. My painting skills have definitely improved after taking Johannes' classes. It was time well spent.

painter 55
05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I've found that I look at every painting differently now. For the first time I find myself truly aware of values, planes, abstract shapes and composition. I give that credit to being on the computer at the right time watching an excellent learning experience in painting. I am telling all my painter friends what a great class I had the privilege of taking. Now, I wait for the rest of the lessons on video. I have accumulated so many oils, acrylics, pastels, and watercolors, that I am not ready to start the new interactive acrylics but I enjoy reading about them.

Sienna black
05-23-2011, 08:17 AM
This would be the same case with oils if you wait two days. The paint is not workable and we would have to wait for several more days. At least with the interactive paints we can get the painting done in one sitting with the advantage that we get the soft edges like oils offers us. Maybe we will finally have the perfect medium. If that is the case I believe more people will paint.

Johannes, have you tried the Golden Open Paints? I love them. They have the closest feel to oils! Check them out! I can paint for hours blending and reworking. Just love the pigments too. They also have a product called Golden Open medium that I use with my regular acrylics to keep them open longer.

BumpaBob
05-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Johannes:
It's been a while since I've posted (been studying pen and ink technique) but this item came across the ArtistsNetwork wire and I am hoping everyone saw it. There is a Webinar class tomorrow (May 25) afternoon by none other than Catherine Gill, whose book you had recommended so highly. I have signed up and I hope all of your other students saw the notice too. I put this message in the two threads which seem to get a fair amount of exposure. Hopefully you have heard about it too; looks like your class was so successful that F&W is taking another shot at it! You are the pioneer! (BTW, when I have some artwork to post, I'll drop it in here.) All the best. bob.c

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Northlight has posted the registration link for the next course which will be called,

Essentials of Painting Buildings

After a 3 month very successful course with thousands of students, Johannes is backagain to teach a new course. He will share his expertise at painting buildingssuch as barns, stone bridges, brick homes, etc. Learn how to do house portraitsand town street scenes.

His very simple approach to perspective will take away the complexity of thissubject. Depicting buildings that tell a story will make people want to “moveinto” your paintings. Paintings with buildings tend to sell the most.

This course will give you that insight.

·June 4 - June 25. (4 classes)
· Saturday live online classes from 1 to 3 PM EDT. (Check your local time)

Fee $19.99

This course will include some video demos. Incase you miss a class, you will be able watch it on a streaming option at yourconvenience (Included in your fee.) You will be given a certificate ofcompletion at the end of the course

http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wet-canvas-live-essentials-of-painting-buildings-with-johannes-vloothuis-w6039/

IrmaH322
05-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Johannes are lessons 13 & 14 ready for sale?

painter 55
05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Sounds like the next Johannes class will be very good for those who do buildings. I am still waiting to get the last set of videos on the landscape class. Sorry to say I won't be joining the "building class". I hope you follow up with more classes in the near future Johannes.

Rosemarie
05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Johannes are lessons 13 & 14 ready for sale?

Yes, they all are for sale. I am right now downloading several. Remember to use the WCLIVE code

crazywoman53
05-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I signed up for the buildings course coming up soon. I have always fought with them, especially getting the perspective correct. I'm looking forward to sitting in with you again Johannes. Will you be sending out reminders and class handouts again?

RainySea
05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I am very interested in the Buildings course but unfortunately I will be out of town at a dog show on the last day of the course!! UGH!!!

I wonder are they planning to sell these as downloads like the others?

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
I am very interested in the Buildings course but unfortunately I will be out of town at a dog show on the last day of the course!! UGH!!!

I wonder are they planning to sell these as downloads like the others?
It doesnt matter if you miss a class. You will be able to see it streaming afterwards. This only applies to those who signed up.

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I signed up for the buildings course coming up soon. I have always fought with them, especially getting the perspective correct. I'm looking forward to sitting in with you again Johannes. Will you be sending out reminders and class handouts again?
I am SO looking forward with being with all of you as well. Yes handouts will be available like always.

painter 55
05-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I see that we can finally purchase the rest of the landscape videos. However, using the WCLIVE does not give a discount. What happened to the discount? They made us wait all this time.

RainySea
05-25-2011, 06:23 PM
It doesnt matter if you miss a class. You will be able to see it streaming afterwards. This only applies to those who signed up.

Well that sounds cool!!!

So if I sign up and I miss that last class, I can watch it later for free!? Or does it cost extra?

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Well that sounds cool!!!

So if I sign up and I miss that last class, I can watch it later for free!? Or does it cost extra?
If you register and miss a class you will be able to watch it streaming at no extra cost.

sapphirelynn
05-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I am so looking forward to this next session. I want to paint a picture of my house and yard and have been waiting for this course before attempting it. Right now the Rhodos are in bloom and everything looks rich and alive, cant wait...hugs Lynn

oCDs01-711
05-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Painter 55, the discount still applies. Type in the code WCLIVE and continue with Checkout. It shows on the next page. I did and received the 10% discount!

crazywoman53
05-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I used the WCLIVE and they gave me the discount for the upcoming building class even.

sallspaw
05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Sorry for all the confusion about the coupon code, we planned to have it inactive in between the webinar series, but since it's in such popular demand, we are just going to leave it active. You guys can use WCLIVE to get 10% off of Johannes related materials in the shop from here on out. Feel free to contact me any time via PM if you have any questions!

painter 55
05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks, I am going to try and place my order, again, today for the rest of the tapes. I called Northlight and was told by CS that "the discount ended the end of April". I told CS that I was very unhappy to hear that and it is not fair as "we had to wait for the tapes, it wasn't anything we had control over". Maybe that is why Sarah's message above. What does PM stand for?

Dana Design
05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks, I am going to try and place my order, again, today for the rest of the tapes. I called Northlight and was told by CS that "the discount ended the end of April". I told CS that I was very unhappy to hear that and it is not fair as "we had to wait for the tapes, it wasn't anything we had control over". Maybe that is why Sarah's message above. What does PM stand for?

PM stands for Personal Message through the WC messaging system.

painter 55
05-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Great! I just placed my order for the rest of the videos from the landscape class and received the discount. So far as the building class, I have to wait a until Sunday to see if I will be available for the June class. I am happy we have JV classes again.

Johannes Instructor
05-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Great! I just placed my order for the rest of the videos from the landscape class and received the discount. So far as the building class, I have to wait a until Sunday to see if I will be available for the June class. I am happy we have JV classes again.
Even if you are not available you can still watch the lost episodes if you register.

sallspaw
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM

yes, that is the reason for my news. You had good points and the news traveled to me quickly :)

nougat
05-27-2011, 12:16 AM
just registered for the buildings class :)

i'll order the rest of the landscape videos asap, now you say they're available!!

painter 55
05-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I just registered for the building class and am looking forward to it. I am trying to learn more computer skills so that I might participate in submitting my work to Johannes for critique. Not too sure about that at this time.

painter 55
06-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Johannes teaching via live webcam is excellent! His instruction is always of great value for his students. Please do keep the Vloothuis lessons coming. I am proud to say I am taking his computer classes. Thank you F&W.

just having fun
06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Today lesson was the greatest I learned so much. I for one learn more with the live paintings everything just come together and Johannes is the very best on the web, hands down. F&W you have a real goldened nugget with Johannes, so keep his instruction coming . and we will keep coming back for MORE!.

BumpaBob
06-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Jo: this was the first time that Stickam totally failed for me; It worked every time during the last course. Today, the Stickam logo never came up on the sunset scene when I logged on many times to your website's "livestreaming.html" connection in the email. I tried all possibilities, including logging off and following along on the webinar, but it never did work. The webinar connection went off around 1:45 to 2:00 pm. In fact, just now I tried logging on and Stickam still does not show up. Maybe the Canada Post strike hit the electronic pathways too... Looking forward to the streaming video but disappointed about the live show. Will it work again for the next class?? We'll see.... thanks!

hewill4giveu
06-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Once again i have totally enjoyed Johannes teaching. Everything went very smooth here for me. I am so thankful WC you are putting Johannes class on for us. I never knew there was so much to landscape painting , and buildings. Thank you Johannes and W.C.

I would only have one request and i don't think I'm the only one who would like to download these videos instead of having to go on line each time we want to view them. I am not always near a wifi and i like to be able to have his lessons on hand to review. Some have even said they have to pay big money for band width so every time they log on to review the video it costs them over again for the viewing by the high cost of there internet provider. It would be nice if we signed up for the class we could have the download. It would also be good to sell them to others who might not have been able to buy the coarse at the time offered due to other plans. Would bring in more money in the long haul. Just a thought and a request if possible to think about. Thank you so much for the opportunity to learn from one of many talented artists on here. Teresa

nougat
06-26-2011, 12:49 AM
once again johannes has been a lovely patient generous teacher. :)
i am looking forward to his next course (mountains) even tho i don't live anywhere near mountains. :)
i hope there will be even more courses available in the future, perhaps including 'seascapes'

i also would so much prefer being able to download the lessons and have them available without having to go online. please consider this option.

Johannes Instructor
06-26-2011, 07:56 AM
once again johannes has been a lovely patient generous teacher. :)
i am looking forward to his next course (mountains) even tho i don't live anywhere near mountains. :)
i hope there will be even more courses available in the future, perhaps including 'seascapes'

i also would so much prefer being able to download the lessons and have them available without having to go online. please consider this option.
That is not my decision. You would have to send an email to Northlight for that.

Johannes Instructor
06-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Jo: this was the first time that Stickam totally failed for me; It worked every time during the last course. Today, the Stickam logo never came up on the sunset scene when I logged on many times to your website's "livestreaming.html" connection in the email. I tried all possibilities, including logging off and following along on the webinar, but it never did work. The webinar connection went off around 1:45 to 2:00 pm. In fact, just now I tried logging on and Stickam still does not show up. Maybe the Canada Post strike hit the electronic pathways too... Looking forward to the streaming video but disappointed about the live show. Will it work again for the next class?? We'll see.... thanks!
What i will do next time is run it directly from the stickam website and simulatneously broadcast thru goto webinar so if someone cannot get the streaming they will be able to get the other option which is choppy but will not be left out.

painter 55
06-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Jo, I live in very flat warm climate and wonder if you will be doing any seascape lessons? I do plan to take your "mountains" class but I will have no local reference points for them. However, I do want to add that I've found the logic of your teaching follows all form, no matter the subject, so I am not lost on this. Ken did a good job yesterday of explaining context. I missed your commentary remarks at times when you were not on microphone during the live demo. Keep on talking, teacher, we love you for it.

Mary54
06-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you Johannes for another wonderful class! I hope you will be teaching many more classes in the future. I've have learned so much from you. You are a truly gifted painter as well as a gifted teacher. Responding to all of my posts has truly helped me see how to improve my paintings. I appreciate that you teach from the heart.

Thanks!!!

robertsloan2
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Johannes, that's a brilliant idea - if you set it up to also run on gotomeeting, then anyone who's not getting Stickam can still get it. That rocks!

Like Painter SS, I hope you will do a course on seascapes in future. Where I'm moving, I'll be one in city bus ride away from a beautiful bay that I have loved all my life. I could sit by the sea every day and never get bored, it's so beautiful.

I know you'll do courses on all the most important and popular subjects. Thank you so much for everything you do.

emilyopal
06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I want to thank Johannes for his classes, needless to say I have learned so much and will continue to take his classes should they be offered. When I look back at my work " before and after Johannes" there is a marked :clap: improvement
Thank you!!
carol gander

nougat
06-26-2011, 01:53 PM
That is not my decision. You would have to send an email to Northlight for that.
i know its not in your hands johannes. i DID email northlight about it and got no reply...

nougat
06-26-2011, 01:59 PM
as i mentioned in a previous comment, like robert and painter55 i live in a mountain-less island surrounded by sea. so like my two classmates i would love a course on seascapes. i'll be attending the mountain one too :)

beart
06-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Johannes, I used to draw line drawings as a kid but my Mom did not want me to be an artist. I moved in a house and had no funds for pictures so I took left over paint and old paint brushes and cut them to use for brushes. I painted murals on my wall but never was schooled. I went to work at a pottery which before me only hired graduates of art school. I became a teacher to teach the free hand painting. I retired because of leg and foot injury and decided to paint on canvas. I taught my self portrait painting but it takes me a long time. I decided to do your landscape class and it put me in a shock. (My brother said when he retires he will paint landscape as he saw my portraits and said he could not do that.) He does not know the difficulty to paint them with out the golden nuggets. I did take some written classes from Raybould and his painting are great but coming from you is like God knew what I needed and put you there to carry it out. He gave you that great voice, humor, and knowledge that only you could teach without putting me to sleep. Your terms like pizza slice, bowl shape, meatballs, etc. make us remember it. I have always liked the free style of painting and when I first went to this art club I was told why don't you use a ruler to make it straight and I said I don't like it that way. I kept looking at the paintings brought in and I thought all look the same and no brush strokes. So I hope for people like me who don't get out much that WC will continue your amazing teaching. I think I speak for the whole class we love you for what we gained from your kindness and knowledge.
:clap:

Johannes Instructor
06-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes I am aware of this. What i will do is broadcast both options by webinar and stickam. That way you can use any option whatever works best for you. Also I will just let the viewers see stickam directly from their website instead of embed it on my website. We work out the bugs as we go. Good thing is the recording will be available in a few days. Thank you for your patience. I am doing my best to give you the very best teaching possible.

Johannes Instructor
06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Jo, I live in very flat warm climate and wonder if you will be doing any seascape lessons? I do plan to take your "mountains" class but I will have no local reference points for them. However, I do want to add that I've found the logic of your teaching follows all form, no matter the subject, so I am not lost on this. Ken did a good job yesterday of explaining context. I missed your commentary remarks at times when you were not on microphone during the live demo. Keep on talking, teacher, we love you for it.
yes seascapes are in the works as well.

BumpaBob
06-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Yes I am aware of this. What i will do is broadcast both options by webinar and stickam. That way you can use any option whatever works best for you. Also I will just let the viewers see stickam directly from their website instead of embed it on my website. We work out the bugs as we go. Good thing is the recording will be available in a few days. Thank you for your patience. I am doing my best to give you the very best teaching possible.
Sounds like a plan: have several pathways to the presentation. Looking forward to the video; what I did see looked great. Thanks for your effort to make us better artists. bob.c

Johannes Instructor
06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a plan: have several pathways to the presentation. Looking forward to the video; what I did see looked great. Thanks for your effort to make us better artists. bob.c
BumpaBob check your private message please.

LadyMadonna
06-27-2011, 06:49 AM
Although I had a difficult time with other commitments this time to watch the classes in their entirety, I know I can watch them all again at my own leisure. I join with all of you in thanking Johannes for time well spent learning and absorbing information.
When I stand at my easel, I almost hear your voice in my head repeating tips that you have given us. I look forward to learning more on any subject!
Here is to the summer of art !

Carol(SA)
06-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Johannes, Thank you so much for another mind blowing course. I have at long last managed to make the changes to the picket fence (week one) that you changed so beautifully. I did thank you but I think it got lost in the wrong place. I too have not managed to watch any of the Stickham demos but the Webinar works great so your change will also help me. I would be interested in "seascapes" course if you ever run one. I did register on your site but have had no newsletter or other information sent through to me. Should I re-register?
You are an amazing teacher - THANK YOU FOR SHARING

Sandra39
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Dear Johanne:
Enjoy all your classes esp. the last one when you showed us the"How to do it" from your actual painting step by step and how to take unnecessary objects out.
I have attended some workshops with noted artists and have never learned this much. They were actually "painting along" with the artists and they sometimes didn't even come to critique my painting. They did critique a few so called "students" but not all and I think those sessions were a waste of my money and time.
Please keep the "How to do it with demonstration" in every set of your class. We learn better by visual than words.
Would that I could come to your workshop in Jackson Holes, Wyoming but the timing and circumstances are not right with me.
Will wait for your next classes on line.

Sandi C.

Johannes Instructor
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Dear Johanne:
Enjoy all your classes esp. the last one when you showed us the"How to do it" from your actual painting step by step and how to take unnecessary objects out.
I have attended some workshops with noted artists and have never learned this much. They were actually "painting along" with the artists and they sometimes didn't even come to critique my painting. They did critique a few so called "students" but not all and I think those sessions were a waste of my money and time.
Please keep the "How to do it with demonstration" in every set of your class. We learn better by visual than words.
Would that I could come to your workshop in Jackson Holes, Wyoming but the timing and circumstances are not right with me.
Will wait for your next classes on line.

Sandi C.
Every course will have video demos. I agree they make the point clear.