PDA

View Full Version : Johannes-Student Discussion-Week 12-April 16-17

Johannes Instructor
04-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Use this forum from now on.
Just to let you know tomorrow Sunday we meet in the "Go to meeting" forum.

karan55
04-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I hate the smell of turpentine; it gets on my hands and even after washing my hands it drives me crazey, so I checked out some of the options. Here is a link to Blick's oil painting solvents; they have all the safety information and MSDS for all the various solvents. The information is pretty much all there for anyone to check out. The Turpenoid Natural looks like a very good option and the odor is a citrus smell which is not all that all that bad. Plus shipping is cheaper because it is considered non-hazardous. http://www.dickblick.com/painting/solvents/

MarisFS
04-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Johannes - Kenneth - and Robert......
Johannes, Thank you for all the excellent information and demonstrations. These classes have been some of the best and most informative I've ever attended.

Kenneth, you're artistic wisdom has been very enlightening.

Robert, your notes are invaluable and will be referred to many times.

Best wishes to all of you. On to bigger and better paintings!! :clap:

Maris

marsva
04-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Johannes - Kenneth - and Robert......
Johannes, Thank you for all the excellent information and demonstrations. These classes have been some of the best and most informative I've ever attended.

Kenneth, you're artistic wisdom has been very enlightening.

Robert, your notes are invaluable and will be referred to many times.

Best wishes to all of you. On to bigger and better paintings!! :clap:

Maris

Ditto to Maris' comment and may I add it has been absolutely inspiring. I hate to see the classes end and I hope you will offer more classes as you suggested yesterday (Saturday, April 16th). Thank you so much to you all for the opportunity to "see through your eyes".
Marsha

uthule13
04-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Johannes, I think maybe you don't get full participation in your polls if you post them during the break. People are off to the bathroom or to get snacks. Even so, 79% is a good indication that a further webinar would be a winner. Sign me up. I won't know what to do with myself after the classes end. I may not be a better painter, but I've certainly been entertained and loaded with food for thought. Thanks again. Mary

cranbrook
04-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Like so many others who are signed in to watch, listen and learn from you each week, it has certainly been a pleasure to be involved in this type of teaching tool. I would very much like to be involved in another session if you are able to host one and will be working to better my paintings in the future. Thanks to you Johannes and to Robert for all of his notes. They are invaluable to me if I have missed a class.

Eddypus1
04-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Can someone tell me which thread I can find Kenneth's notes? I thought I heard Johannes mention the notes were posted somewhere. I've been searching and can't find them.:confused:

Rosemarie
04-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Eddy - we are all waiting. They are not posted as far as I know.

Eddypus1
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Eddy - we are all waiting. They are not posted as far as I know.

Thank you:wave:

Eddypus1
04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey Johannes what are we doing next week?! I think I'll go into withdrawl syndrome without a week of your lessons. More lessons please. :heart:

Kat5
04-17-2011, 11:15 AM
I too will have withdrawl from these classes - hopefully you will continue to offer more Johannes. Thank you for all the helpful information and all the time you've spent expalining stuff to us. You make things easy to understand - a talent not a lot of people have!

Also I am looking for the information that Kenneth was to post in WC so if anyone finds it will they please post a link here?

Also one final thanks to Robert for all the great notes - i cold never write fast or neat enough for this so I really appreciate it!

Thanks
Happy Painting everyone!

luicre
04-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi, Johannes. What a great course!

I have learned a lot but, in order to incorporate the whole bunch we need to practice and maybe have some feedback.

Of course, watching you painting is something that gets incorporated in our memory.

I have found soo helpful when you take a posted work and make some corrections.

It is amazing to actually watch how with so little touches to a painting you can remarcably change it. And make it more beatiful and pleasant.

So I have thought about the idea of some webinars where you can do that, take some of our works, and rework them to enfathize what is wrong and how to make the right adjustments.

Maybe it could be useful after we have got another teaching about light, buildings, etc, so the themes can be variated.

And thank you very much for everything. You are not only a great artist but also a great teacher.

Saludos

Luicre

dartistflame
04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Jo/Ken, I too will hate seeing these classes come to an end. All that you and your team have put into teaching us, let alone the behind the scenes things we never know about, is greatly appreciated. My mind won't shut off....going 90 miles a minute on overload with all the information and adding to it all the studying I am doing during the week because of this. WOW!!!! All I can say is you have really renewed something in me. I have been telling other artist friends and they can't wait until you have something else so I can let them know about that. Thank you so very much........Darlene

robertsloan2
04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
We need to play Pomp and Circumstance. I'm going to miss all of you guys, so we need to keep this forum active and keep working with all that we've learned.

Johannes, thank you for this priceless course. It's incredible. Please do more. I hope that you will be able to offer future courses as you described in the poll, that's very affordable even when budgets turn tight.

I've been frustrated because I ran into some unexpected expenses right after ordering the last of the "Four Aces" books and couldn't boy the downloads that are available right away. I wanted to get the whole batch of them. I commiserated with someone who messaged me also in the same position about buying the downloads and frustrated that class is ending.

Of course when I give advice to other people it's always something I need to hear. That's just a given about giving advice. Works for anyone - think back to the last time you gave anyone some advice on anything.

I suggested "Why not buy them one per paycheck till you have them all if you've got a tight budget?"

It might be more convenient buying all of them at once but it might also be easier to squeeze out the money to get one at first and then the next and then the next whenever you get paid. For me that's monthly so that could take a long time, but others with jobs get paid twice a month or weekly and it's still small - it makes it a smaller priority decision, juggling it with a regular Starbucks treat versus trying to juggle it with needing shoes or something.

I am throwing this in because I think buying the downloads is important. Johannes said it in one of his classes. He doesn't feel like doing the book now because he's shared everything he would've put in a book within this class. So it's there - in download form. Well worth the price and if it was literally a book it wouldn't be one book, it'd be a series. The sheer amount of information in this class with his demonstrations is a whole lot more than could fit in one book.

Definitely go back and save any of the handouts too if you missed them. Store them on a USB key in case you lose your hard drive. CDs and DVDs degrade so they're not permanent storage. Many of them are handy checklists that would be good to print out and put in a folder in your studio, ready to refer to while painting.

I'm tempted to print and laminate yesterday's "Do's and Don'ts of Plein Air" and stick it in my field easel's sketchbox. Just keep it there and look at it whenever I pack up to go out, then have it with me when I'm on the spot to remember those things. I could not believe how obvious some of those things are in retrospect - don't wear bright colored clothes while painting outdoors because it'll reflect on your palette.

Me and my red T-shirt. I love my red t-shirt. But I also emailed Blick with a product suggestion last night and asked if they'd look into carrying a gray artist's smock that won't reflect color onto your palette. That way whatever you wear, you can toss that on to keep the oil paint off it and not worry about color reflection. It happens in the studio too.

I might do it on purpose sometime in still life painting if I want warm reflected color in the highlights. Wear an orange or red t-shirt to give a pink or orange glow to the lights. Colored screens may work for that too. I never noticed it in life because I usually wear black all the time, so I'm used to how my palette looks when there's neutral reflected light on it and less light. Gray would be truer though.

Ken, thank you so much for all you've added to this course. I loved your presentation. It was fantastic. I took very thorough notes and I hope it's there on the downloads, that had better get kept in with the edits! You do so much in the course and I am so grateful you did.

I'm also grateful to all the editors at F&W who are taking the time to clean up and edit the hours and hours of video that Jo created. That's another good reason to buy the downloads - that's how they're getting rewarded. When we get the information clean without any tangents about whether the camera's working or five minutes of trying to find a reference that isn't copyrighted to someone who hasn't given permission, people backstage are taking a long long time to make sure these downloads are legal and neither the company nor Jo gets sued for our glimpses of the contents of his hard drive.

I can't wait to get the downloads, and I'm going to check my account today. If I can't do it any other way, maybe I can get them one at a time - and hopefully F&W will keep them available long enough that those of us that have to take the slow way of buying them can get the whole series.

I'm saved. I checked my account and my articles income came in - enough to get the first half of the downloads! Yayy! I am so relieved. I was a little worried that if I took too long to get them, they might no longer be available at F&W. I hope they do decide to keep them available on a permanent long term basis and they're worth the storage, this course is priceless and the good work all the editors put in on making the final versions is worthwhile too.

I also found out another happy little thing about North Light Books. If you weren't aware of it, when you get a discount like the North Light VIP Program, that is cumulative with other discounts like the promotion they're running for the course attendees! I got the Johannes discount and another discount I had was stacked on top of it, further lowering the price. Your ongoing discount shows up again at the checkout.

Amazing. Very happy thing at a time when I wound up short on cash after an unexpected expense, it came right at the best time this time. So it's definitely also worthwhile getting their bundle discounts and things like the VIP program.

Johannes Instructor
04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Hey Johannes what are we doing next week?! I think I'll go into withdrawl syndrome without a week of your lessons. More lessons please. :heart:
Time to crack open your paint tubes and paint.

Johannes Instructor
04-17-2011, 12:47 PM
We need to play Pomp and Circumstance. I'm going to miss all of you guys, so we need to keep this forum active and keep working with all that we've learned.

Johannes, thank you for this priceless course. It's incredible. Please do more. I hope that you will be able to offer future courses as you described in the poll, that's very affordable even when budgets turn tight.

I've been frustrated because I ran into some unexpected expenses right after ordering the last of the "Four Aces" books and couldn't boy the downloads that are available right away. I wanted to get the whole batch of them. I commiserated with someone who messaged me also in the same position about buying the downloads and frustrated that class is ending.

Of course when I give advice to other people it's always something I need to hear. That's just a given about giving advice. Works for anyone - think back to the last time you gave anyone some advice on anything.

I suggested "Why not buy them one per paycheck till you have them all if you've got a tight budget?"

It might be more convenient buying all of them at once but it might also be easier to squeeze out the money to get one at first and then the next and then the next whenever you get paid. For me that's monthly so that could take a long time, but others with jobs get paid twice a month or weekly and it's still small - it makes it a smaller priority decision, juggling it with a regular Starbucks treat versus trying to juggle it with needing shoes or something.

I am throwing this in because I think buying the downloads is important. Johannes said it in one of his classes. He doesn't feel like doing the book now because he's shared everything he would've put in a book within this class. So it's there - in download form. Well worth the price and if it was literally a book it wouldn't be one book, it'd be a series. The sheer amount of information in this class with his demonstrations is a whole lot more than could fit in one book.

Definitely go back and save any of the handouts too if you missed them. Store them on a USB key in case you lose your hard drive. CDs and DVDs degrade so they're not permanent storage. Many of them are handy checklists that would be good to print out and put in a folder in your studio, ready to refer to while painting.

I'm tempted to print and laminate yesterday's "Do's and Don'ts of Plein Air" and stick it in my field easel's sketchbox. Just keep it there and look at it whenever I pack up to go out, then have it with me when I'm on the spot to remember those things. I could not believe how obvious some of those things are in retrospect - don't wear bright colored clothes while painting outdoors because it'll reflect on your palette.

Me and my red T-shirt. I love my red t-shirt. But I also emailed Blick with a product suggestion last night and asked if they'd look into carrying a gray artist's smock that won't reflect color onto your palette. That way whatever you wear, you can toss that on to keep the oil paint off it and not worry about color reflection. It happens in the studio too.

I might do it on purpose sometime in still life painting if I want warm reflected color in the highlights. Wear an orange or red t-shirt to give a pink or orange glow to the lights. Colored screens may work for that too. I never noticed it in life because I usually wear black all the time, so I'm used to how my palette looks when there's neutral reflected light on it and less light. Gray would be truer though.

Ken, thank you so much for all you've added to this course. I loved your presentation. It was fantastic. I took very thorough notes and I hope it's there on the downloads, that had better get kept in with the edits! You do so much in the course and I am so grateful you did.

I'm also grateful to all the editors at F&W who are taking the time to clean up and edit the hours and hours of video that Jo created. That's another good reason to buy the downloads - that's how they're getting rewarded. When we get the information clean without any tangents about whether the camera's working or five minutes of trying to find a reference that isn't copyrighted to someone who hasn't given permission, people backstage are taking a long long time to make sure these downloads are legal and neither the company nor Jo gets sued for our glimpses of the contents of his hard drive.

I can't wait to get the downloads, and I'm going to check my account today. If I can't do it any other way, maybe I can get them one at a time - and hopefully F&W will keep them available long enough that those of us that have to take the slow way of buying them can get the whole series.

It was Judy that did all the editing Robert. She deserves the recognition.

robertsloan2
04-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Time to crack open your paint tubes and paint.

Absolutely. Will they keep these forums open so we can continue to have discussion threads and critique and stay ganged up to work on it?

dartistflame
04-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I was wondering if the critiques would remain on wc or if they would be taken down after the classes are over? It is really nice to be able to go back and review what was said and see all the posts from everyone. It would be a great way to keep in touch and see how we "progress" after the classes as well.

Johannes Instructor
04-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Everything remain on wetcanvas for years to come. Everything that happened here is perpetual. (Including what you learned)

Johannes Instructor
04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
If you did not get an email from me this morning don't worry. My internet service provider has blocked me from sending bulk emails until a few days from now. We will meet in the “Go to Meeting room”. Then we go to the webcam which you can access here:

http://improvemypaintings.com/stream2.html
Remember to chat you need to sign in with a password that you create. You cannot use wetcanvas password unless you repeated that for stickam.

beart
04-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I can't say enough about your classes. I have rented video's but no matter how talented those artist are, most don't put the pizazz in it as you do. You sit there and watch them paint. sure they might say this color and that color. Johnnie Liahdail had excellent videos to copy and you do learn from them.. I like the fact that you give techniques little names that stick in your head. Thank you very much. D Jenkins hope you are back

pat-trew
04-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Johannes, I would like to take this oppertunity to thank you for such a wonderful class, I will sincerely miss them.
Years ago I took portrait classes, with a man named William Kalwick, over 27 years ago he had to move to Arizona, for health reasons , and my painting , and practice for it , diminished considerably. Bill was a great painter, and his son has taken on his fathers talent, residing in Houston Texas, ('Bill Jr, studied with Markos Lajos, friend of Bill sr) , the one thing I have to say, is you are a great artist, and the same goes for your method of teaching, and I say this, because Bills wife, used to say to me, " Bill never tells the students what is reallly good or bad, " He would correct, but with not many reasons why, and you do that. So thank you soooo much for your dedication, and selfless personality.
I signed up for your newsletter, so I will be looking for workshops, I would like some information on what you need for compansation, so if you would consider, one in the Bradenton, Sarasota Florida area, I could work on making that possible.
Now ending, a Big Thank You to Judy, ( where do people like her come from? ) and a Big Thank You to Kenneth, with all his knowledge, and also to Robert Sloan, for his fantastic notes,. Bye for now, will Miss You Guys. Pat Trewern,

Kurlie
04-17-2011, 01:56 PM
:clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: WTG.. To all that worked to make these classes a success! I joined late, health problems kept me off the net, but I am soaking up every word and stroke of the brush. I agree with everything Robert Sloan said. I am trying to get all the dls from the class, on a shoestring. I would never be able to pay as much as this class is worth!
I hope that the threads for the classes stay active. Lots can be learned by critiques done by others that understand what and how you are trying to paint.
My paintings may look like they are done by a child, but I am far from that! I am in the "Old Dog New Tricks" phase and this has given me a boost!:D
:) Kurlie

robertsloan2
04-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Wonderful! Thank you! I am so glad we'll still have these forums!

I tried to edit more gratitude into my short little post and edited too long - it's time to go check in early! But here's what I would have added to my post.

There is so much that you've taught me that's changed everything. I've had more than one "quantum leap" in your courses. I went through all the ones you did in December and thought this class would be easier. Oh no! Everything I got in December wound up deepened and richer and easier to understand. Everything familiar became more understandable.

Every single time I've gone to one of your webinars you've gotten me with at least one big Zap. One thing I'd never thought of that makes an enormous difference in my paintings. Sometimes three or four or more in a session.

One of the things I love in your classes is the way you not only teach the rules and tricks but explain why they work. I had trouble all my life understanding composition. It seemed like an arbitrary set of rules about paintings and very often I ran into conflicts with previous teachers who tried to explain it because changes they made to my paintings for compositional reasons destroyed the intent of the painting. Changed its theme or its mood or its accuracy in ways that wouldn't work.

That teacher made it a lousier painting for reasons you'd understand very well - if you make one change you usually have to make a lot of other changes to harmonize and unify it with the rest of the painting. When someone does that without explaining it to a student's physical painting and then says "There, doesn't that look better?" it can make no sense at all.

The only honest reaction is "No, it looks worse. It looks horrible. Why did you do that?"

At that point the teacher would just recite the rule again and tell me I didn't understand painting. Well, that was why I was the student and he was the teacher! If I understood it, why did I need his class?

Every one of the things that has stuck in my craw over composition and painting has been cleaned up and handed back to me as a useful tool in your course. Johannes, thank you.

That includes the green avoidance that puzzled me for so long. I get it.

Painting the vast greens in nature without modifying them can make the scene look like a Playskool setup if you're shading up and down from Pthalo Green Light with water or white. It can look like a model train setup if you carefully shade up and down from Pthalo Green with Pthalo Blue and Lemon Yellow. I've done both and beaten my head on the desk over it.

My very latest landscape painting has pure emerald green in one half-inch by inch and a half patch, an area I could cover in one stroke with a softer pastel than I used. I chose to make the grass green and mute the still-green trees that were starting to turn, varied the colors but kept all the trees other colors. I might knock back the chroma of the blue-green tree a bit and will definitely need to play with the shape of the orange tree.

But I got the greens to work because less was more. I got the impression I wanted - just how green that clipped and watered park grass was in comparison to the trees that were turning. In unkempt nature, the grass might have been far more ochre that far in the season and the brightest green might have been in the last tree to turn.

It worked even in a higher intensity painting. It came out as what I wanted - a higher chroma painting at the golden time of afternoon. I like that, so that's what I wanted to do. With that I know I can paint my spring and summer scenes. Violet flowers can break up the spring green grass on the particular day large swatches are lemon green, before they yellow or darken. Violets grow in big clumps, so I can move one in from memory and make the season look even truer.

Thank you again for everything - including how to handle green. Less is more and it really does work even when I want a moist spring day or a warm summer vacation afternoon!

pat-trew
04-17-2011, 02:06 PM

I'm saved. I checked my account and my articles income came in - enough to get the first half of the downloads! Yayy! I am so relieved. I was a little worried that if I took too long to get them, they might no longer be available at F&W. I hope they do decide to keep them available on a permanent long term basis and they're worth the storage, this course is priceless and the good work all the editors put in on making the final versions is worthwhile too.

I also found out another happy little thing about North Light Books. If you weren't aware of it, when you get a discount like the North Light VIP Program, that is cumulative with other discounts like the promotion they're running for the course attendees! I got the Johannes discount and another discount I had was stacked on top of it, further lowering the price. Your ongoing discount shows up again at the checkout.

Amazing. Very happy thing at a time when I wound up short on cash after an unexpected expense, it came right at the best time this time. So it's definitely also worthwhile getting their bundle discounts and things like the VIP program.

Robert, this is to thank you for making available, your wonderful notes, you seem like such a kind & unselfish person. Also for answering my questions about color pencil, and sending the links so I can optain more of your articles, on pastel and color pencil etc. Hope , we can all stay in touch through the student discussion thread, and see what each of us is up to with paint , pastel and so on. Thank You again, Pat Trewern

robertsloan2
04-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Pat, thank you! Purr! We do need to stay in touch through the discussion threads and keep helping each other with all mediums. Oil pastels, oil sticks and colored pencils, all of his principles apply to those too. It's just the techniques for getting edges and putting down color effects that vary.

I just downloaded today's handout and it ROCKS! It's fantastic! I love it. Another checklist to bring with me when I paint outdoors!

pat-trew
04-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Pat, thank you! Purr! We do need to stay in touch through the discussion threads and keep helping each other with all mediums. Oil pastels, oil sticks and colored pencils, all of his principles apply to those too. It's just the techniques for getting edges and putting down color effects that vary.

I just downloaded today's handout and it ROCKS! It's fantastic! I love it. Another checklist to bring with me when I paint outdoors!

My mother and father have a beautiful cat , and I have been trying to capture a photo shot that suits her personality, then I will paint her, ( I love painting animals, 1st love is dolphins and underwater scenes) when I do paint this, I would like to show you for your critique., where should I post that? It will not be for a few weeks , still have to get that picture.
Your friend in art . Pat Trewern

N.Ramchandran
04-18-2011, 02:51 AM
It was Judy that did all the editing Robert. She deserves the recognition.

I endorse everything that Robert has said, and would like to add my thanks to you, Ken, Judy and everyone who was out there helping to put up a flawless show everytime.

My special thanks to Robert for his notes.

While on this, I would like to check if we can occasionally send our works for your C&C? If so how and where?

Thanks once again.

versailles 78
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Thank you Robert for your notes on each of Johannes classes. I have missed 4 of them being away from a computer, and if I buy them to download, i'll still refer to your precious notes and these wonderful little drawings.

I can't imagine you wrote them while Jo was speaking ....! It's so neat and well written ...!

Anyway, thanks a lot for the time you took to help and fix things in the mind of anyone.

I'am a pastellist (soft pastels) and until now only a portraitist. With all I learned, I can't wait to start landscapes, first from photo and then.... who knows.... outside ...
I'll read often your notes and keep them in mind.

Merci beaucoup and Hi from France:wave:

seven7
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Thank you for the great lessons. I know it took lots of effort from you and your team.
Did Kenneth post his discussion on light?

I don't know where to look if he did. Thanks again, Suzanne

Johannes Instructor
04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Here is the tutorial on light.

Johannes Instructor
04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you for the great lessons. I know it took lots of effort from you and your team.
Did Kenneth post his discussion on light?

I don't know where to look if he did. Thanks again, Suzanne
It is posted in this thread.

TerryKrysak
04-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks very much Johannes for a truly brilliant course. You have brought knowlege and inspiration to all of us.

Without question, I have learned more about painting in this course than I learned in two painting classes per week in first year of art school in 1971. They taught us some basics, but did not teach us how to paint.

To your credit, you have taught us how to paint. And that is key, it is wonderful to be shown how to do something, reinforced with "why" you should do it this way.

I hope F & W will see the value on putting on more courses with you as the instructor.

Well Done!!!!

Many thanks to Judy for editing, Ken for his excellent efforts, and Robert for his brilliant notes.

oils4me
04-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Thank you for the light pdf Kenneth...very much appreciated!! And also for answering all of our questions and putting up with us for all of these weeks. your input was invaluable. Wishing you all the best. Linda

LLeone
04-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Ken: thank-you for all of your patience in answering our, sometimes quite repetitious, questions. Your input has been terrific. As well, I thank-you for your 'light tutorial': I listened carefully as you were speaking, but did not truly understand all that you said at the time. It will be very good to have a reference.

Robert: my sincere thanks to you as well - your notes have been a superb reinforcement to the classes. It's great that we'll be able to keep in touch in these threads.

Art Leat
04-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Like many others, I was saddened when the webinars ended.

Johannes and Kenneth. supported by Judy and Robert, are a great team, and webinar particants, even those like me (and I think there are a few), who often could not watch everything because of download speed issues, will have learned much from their labours. The experience was a joy

I've bought the download of the first weekend's webinars. I've not been able to spend a lot of time with it yet, but what I've seen so far looks good and I'm sure I'll buy more.

In the UK there is an aweful dearth of good video art instruction. Many of the TV programmes you see here turn out in the end to have been nothing more than elaborate marketing exercise (for art materials, equipment, books,etc.) wrapped up as serious demos.

Typically, a watercolour artist will do a landscape, telling you how to do a graduated sky wash, tree foliage using his special foliage brush, tree trunks scatched in with his magic knife, rocks made with a credit card, sparkling water with masking fluid, etc., etc.. And, of course, when it's over you get the plug for the brush, the knife, maybe a book. You'll probably be able to replicate what he's just done, but will have learned little, if anything, about the principles and elements of design, the intelligent use of photos, use of values, melodic lines, negative painting, and all the other stuff covered by Johannes in his webinars which will help you to become a better painter.

If Johannes gets something wrong ("I've got that rock too symmetrical", or, "I've cloned that tree") he owns up and puts it right - Charles Reid is another great painter from across the pond with the same charming humility. They are human like the rest of us, unlike our watercolour artist who (thanks to careful editing) has produced in half an hour, without a stumble or a glitch, an immaculate, if not to say memorable, image.

Come back soon, Johannes et al.,

Art Leat:clap:

Lin Frye
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Thank YOU Johannes for such an incredible course, Robert for his awesome notes, Judy for her editing, the folks attending, F&W, and the entire operation for such an informative, enlightening, delightful course.

I had to miss the last two classes for a huge fundraiser I was in charge of which was followed by horrific tornados and our area of North Carolina under a state of emergency during the worst of the devastation. Fortunately, we were spared with little property damage, but there is still a large amount of disruption in power, services, etc. as things get cleaned up.

I am eager to purchase the rest of the classes and catch up ..

AGAIN, MILLE GRAZIE!

Amandine
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Here is the tutorial on light.
Thank you Kenneth (and Jo, of course) for this tutorial. As some others, I had a hard time trying to follow what Ken was explaining. :( I'll carefully read this tuto and if don't understand - which may happen :) -, I'll ask my lover who's fluently bilingual to translate it in french for me.
Again, thank you all. :grouphug:

seven7
04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Thank you for posting the Light Tutorial and the painting from Sun. (missed Sun) Again thank you for sharing your amazing knowledge with us. I have learned so much. Hats off to you and the whole crew who helped do such a big event!

springcleaner
04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much Johannes!!. I love watercolor and your lessons on mass planning were invaluable to me. Your teaching method is outstanding, as one person said earlier, you taught the why not just the how of painting.

I truly appreciate Ken and Judy and most assuredly Robert Sloan for his remarkable talent for note taking to share with us all. I will keep coming back to Wet Canvas of course so that I will not miss out in case you do another webinar.

I had to miss the last two days and will miss my weekends with everyone, but now I can get to my yard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz Schaeffer in Collinsville, IL.

judyfilarecki
04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Johannes,

The finished painting from Sunday is beautiful. There is so much light and color coming out of it, it is hard to believe that it was painted from the photo that appeared to be so gray and lifeless. Thank you so much for all you and your team have given.

Judy

firesignart
04-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I love the finished painting. Nice to know you can keep working and not wreck it! Well, you can. I like the focus on the end of the fallen log...draws you in. Thanks again

AnitaBee
04-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Johannes
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your passion for art so freely. I’ve never been able to understand where I was going wrong with my paintings; (even though I have taken classes from other instructors) your lessons have lifted the fog. I can’t even begin to express how excited I am to pick up my paint brush. YOU have inspired me. I truly believe that when people share with such generosity they are rewarded in extraordinary ways. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, Johannes your examples and teachings were worth millions. I’m looking forward to ordering and watching the classes I missed. I would also like to extend a big thank you to Judy for her editing, Kenneth for sharing his expertise and to Robert for his comprehensive notes. Robert your notes were amazing and a great way to reinforce the lessons taught by Johannes.
Johannes, please keep me posted if you have any more classes. All the best!
Sincerely,
AnitaBee :)

Johannes Instructor
04-20-2011, 07:47 AM
I was finally able to get the right lighting for the photo. This is a bit better.

LynnM
04-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I am happy I found this thread again, the forum has moved out of Landscape, so wasn't sure where it had gone.

Johannes Instructor
04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Starting Tuesday April 26 I will resume answering questions and critiquing your work. So please feel free to post paintings and questions. I am taking a week off. I deeply appreciate all your wonderful comments and your gratitude. Imagine how it feels when you get up in the morning and turn on your PC and get bombarded with all your thank you notes. Nothing will take that away from me.
Sending you all a huge bear hug.
Johannes.

Johannes Instructor
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I have some advice for you when it comes to taking photos. Don't fit the whole painting in the view finder. When you do that it sees differently than the human eye because it zooms in and reads the texture of the canvas. When I zoomed out and cropped the picture I got much better results.

carol_lee
04-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the tip... I also have a nice tip I often use for Sqare up (http://emptyeasel.com/2008/01/03/how-to-square-up-photos-of-your-art-in-photoshop-with-free-transform-liquify/)

LadyMadonna
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
I am sorry to say that I missed the very last weekend as I was out of town and away from my computer. I have been reading all the accolades and wanted to add mine as well. You have taught us with expertise, patience, integrity, understanding and humour.
There is no greater gift than to give of oneself and you have done that for thousands of us ..all strangers but somehow all connected with a joy for creating our individual art.
It is your kindness and caring that comes through the words that touch each one of us. Thank you for not abandoning us and for the continued support you will still offer via this forum.
Happy Easter to you and your family. Rest & Rejuvenate.
Donna

hayday77
04-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Just like everyone else - I will go through withdrawal. On the good side - I can't wait to practise what I have learned.

This was an incredibly useful experience. less guessing and more thoughtful painting ahead. Thanks to Johannes, Judy, Ken and Robert. I didn't miss a single class (and probably gained a few pounds for it by all that sitting)

THANK YOU.

IrmaH322
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Kenneth thank you for the light tutorial. I have been reading Carlson's chapter on light and it was confusing, now I can "see the light" better.
Johannes we miss you but take your time, you really went through some technical glitches that put a lot of pressure on you, but you conquer them, now relax, we will be here waiting for you.

jmcedeno
04-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Starting Tuesday April 26 I will resume answering questions and critiquing your work. So please feel free to post paintings and questions. I am taking a week off. I deeply appreciate all your wonderful comments and your gratitude. Imagine how it feels when you get up in the morning and turn on your PC and get bombarded with all your thank you notes. Nothing will take that away from me.
Sending you all a huge bear hug.
Johannes.

WOW! that is the best news I have received in a long..long time "I was lost but now I'm found". I've been working hard painting, watching the videos, reading Robert's notes, practicing color mixing swatches, etc. but I kept staring at the canvas with frustration because wasn't sure if I was applying the check out list of all the things that we have to keep in mind to paint landscapes. Johannes you gave my life back when I opened your announcement and immediately went back to the studio with vigor and more confidence knowing that you will be back to Q & A and most importantly your valuable critique to keep us in track. THANK YOU soooooooooooo MUCH. Have a wonderful week and a very happy EASTER!

jmcedeno
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Kenny, thank you very much for your Light tutorial it is wonderful. You are a genius like your Dad.

winecountry
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Ken thank you so much for the tutorial somehow for me reading it was more clear than listening...you are so patient with the horde we were on the chats.

Cant' wait to see what I can do on my own now...Blessings to the whole amazing team that got this done....and do't forget we have a facebook group of alums here (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_184426631570594) you have to sign up, and Robert will hook you in if you want to post or you can read it without sign up.

Johannes Instructor
04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
WOW! that is the best news I have received in a long..long time "I was lost but now I'm found". I've been working hard painting, watching the videos, reading Robert's notes, practicing color mixing swatches, etc. but I kept staring at the canvas with frustration because wasn't sure if I was applying the check out list of all the things that we have to keep in mind to paint landscapes. Johannes you gave my life back when I opened your announcement and immediately went back to the studio with vigor and more confidence knowing that you will be back to Q & A and most importantly your valuable critique to keep us in track. THANK YOU soooooooooooo MUCH. Have a wonderful week and a very happy EASTER!

How can I ever leave you after all we have been thru. I'm going to make sure you all supersede your expectations.

junehart
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm soo disappointed I could not see the Plein Air demo.
Will it be available somewhere?

Johannes Instructor
04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm soo disappointed I could not see the Plein Air demo.
Will it be available somewhere?
Yes, it will be available for download in the near future.

Dharma_bum
04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Johannes---Enjoy your week off, you have earned it. Thanks for all of your work with us.

Dan

Obion
04-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Happy Easter To Everyone, take care and be safe :wave:

oldradagast
04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Just wanted to chime in with the others here regarding these wonderful webinars!

Thanks to everyone: Johannes, Judy, Ken, Robert and everyone else who took notes, and the WetCanvas folks for setting things up for this amazing way of learning.

The classes were all very helpful and eye-opening - I finally understand WHY various rules exist and how to properly apply them together in a painting. I also am grateful for all the little "tricks" we were taught, many of which we might have never found on our own.

I hope all this info survives on the web forever... when one thinks about how many budding artists don't know these rules and who then end up discouraged to the point of quitting, it makes it clear just how much we need folks like Johannes and tools like webinars to get the knowledge and experience out there.

Thanks again, and I look forward to any future classes as well as seeing how we all improve from what we've been taught!

nougat
04-21-2011, 01:30 AM
oh WOW!!! JOHANNES!!!
how fantastic that you are going to take all this trouble for us!!
truly it feels like i've found a new friend!! (yes i know i've mostly been quiet and only posted one painting but i've followed almost every webinar and post)

i wish you and your family a lovely easter weekend.
see you on tuesday!!
nadine/nougat

ilovewc
04-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Kenneth, did you post your finished painting of the waterfall. I have looked, but I am still meandering my way around the forum site.

Thanks for everything!!! and a giant hug to Johannes!!!! ....but, you are only an email away. Have a safe vacation, come back refreshed and ready to tackle us all again (ha).

Many blessings to Johannes, Kenneth, Robert and Judy. Thank you!!!

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Kenneth, did you post your finished painting of the waterfall. I have looked, but I am still meandering my way around the forum site.

Thanks for everything!!! and a giant hug to Johannes!!!! ....but, you are only an email away. Have a safe vacation, come back refreshed and ready to tackle us all again (ha).

Many blessings to Johannes, Kenneth, Robert and Judy. Thank you!!!
Yes it is in this thread
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929558&page=3

mij
04-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks to Johannes, Kenneth Judi et al. What an enlightener this series has been. Thanks have been sent to F&W for similar. My extra thanks for Johannes 'operating my computer' from stateside and the geat patience shown in aiding me get the downloads via Int Exp when firefox would not do what it was told.

Just the one question Jo, when does an 'an echo' of whatever kind (shape, colour, value etc) not become a clone?

I often hear peeps exclaim that the shape of the hills is echo'ed in the clouds, the shape in the COI is echo'ed in the stream.
Why can't shapes of trees be echo'ed?
jim

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks to Johannes, Kenneth Judi et al. What an enlightener this series has been. Thanks have been sent to F&W for similar. My extra thanks for Johannes 'operating my computer' from stateside and the geat patience shown in aiding me get the downloads via Int Exp when firefox would not do what it was told.

Just the one question Jo, when does an 'an echo' of whatever kind (shape, colour, value etc) not become a clone?

I often hear peeps exclaim that the shape of the hills is echo'ed in the clouds, the shape in the COI is echo'ed in the stream.
Why can't shapes of trees be echo'ed?
jim
The key is not to echo the EXACT same color elsewhere. You echo a variation of it, proabably less saturated. Mainly when I refer to clones though I am referencing shapes.

Sunny7
04-23-2011, 11:29 AM
How can I ever leave you after all we have been thru. I'm going to make sure you all supersede your expectations.

Yippee! I know we all willbe looking forward to this!! Johannes, you ROCK!

Sunny

zentyme1
04-23-2011, 12:52 PM
$2.61 Canadian was well worth 12 weeks of spectacular live web classes with Johannes!

A few weeks ago, I ordered ' Your Artist's Brain ' by Carl Purell - here is the breakdown

At North Light, the cost of the Book was $17.03 - $1.00 (WCLIVE discount) + $11.00 shipping to the West Coast + 12% (CDN TAX) + approx. 10% (Currency Exchange) + $3.95 (Credit Card Transaction Fee) so the total cost of the book was $37.25

At my local Chapters, the Book cost was $32.99 + 5% (tax), the total cost would have been $34.64 give or take a penny.

The difference of $2.61 was well worth the opportunity to show F&W my appreciation for their generous support of Johannes live web classes and to encourage them to continue.

Cindy, Pacific Coast, Canada

nougat
04-23-2011, 01:56 PM
:(
no webinar today!!!
aaaww :(

so i'm watching the videos instead...

Johannes Instructor
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
I did this watercolor in class today. Thought I would post it.

jmcedeno
04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I did this watercolor in class today. Thought I would post it.
Johannes, that is a gorgeous painting congratulations. Did you glazed it with violet?

Johannes Instructor
04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Johannes, that is a gorgeous painting congratulations. Did you glazed it with violet?
No but I used violet for mixing.

northbank
04-25-2011, 09:57 PM
So lovely! Hope you will share many more with us. I love studying the light, the lines, the colors, the negative spaces, the soft background......all the things you have shared with us.

carol_lee
04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
What a beautiful painting and place!!! Love the mystery created here!!!
Miss the classes....

nougat
04-26-2011, 10:30 AM
this is a very lovely painting.
i love the soft mauvey tones and then those tiny dots of bright yellow and orange on the piled up buoys (or whatever) that just draw my eye :)

IrmaH322
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Johannes for a violet in watercolors do you use dioxazine or mix a red and a blue?

dartistflame
04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
:( : For those of that had Capturing the Moment in Oils, David Curtis book through North Light on back order.........a bit of information...... I contacted them today!!!!! The book is out of stock with the publisher.The lady I talked with told me I could still get it from Amazon. There are about 50 students still waiting for this book. North Lights will probably be letting everyone know soon that they will not be able to fill that order.Hopefully everyone can get one from Amazon!:crossfingers:

Johannes Instructor
04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
I use dioxazine but you can mix red and blue as well. But I like dioxizine's staining power for punching holes in foliage etc.

IrmaH322
04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank you Johannes, I love your watercolors.

dartistflame
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Is Kenneth going to post his painting of the waterfall on here so we can see the different angle where he painted from? I saw his notes on color and light but no painting....

Johannes Instructor
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Is Kenneth going to post his painting of the waterfall on here so we can see the different angle where he painted from? I saw his notes on color and light but no painting....
he says he needs to do some more work on it. I conveyed this message to him.

bernape
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Where can I find Ken's notes?

Thanks

Johannes Instructor
04-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Where can I find Ken's notes?

Thanks
Post 31 in this thread.

bernape
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Thank you sir!

KenBratto
04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Wet Canvas keeps saying I need to post something. What if I don't have anything to say?

ladypainter12
05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
When will the lessons 13 and up be available for purchase? Thank you Jo for your advise, education and patience.

Johannes Instructor
05-09-2011, 07:42 AM
When will the lessons 13 and up be available for purchase? Thank you Jo for your advise, education and patience.
Should be any day now.

hewill4giveu
05-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Johannes someone has asked me to paint a picture. They want mountains, creek and deer or elk. I have taken several pictures and put them together in Pse. (still learning it ). The land and mountain came together i think the land should go further up and trees smaller and mountain area smaller. I put a creek in and will make it go further back to the small group of trees in the back. Now i have done a grey scale on this picture . Which i do not feel i can use the trees of coarse are to dark and the water is the same value as the grass.
Below i tried to mark off the masses. couldnt get it to mark the creek seperate from land.
Now i know i cant use the values in the greyscale of this pic they are wrong to dark for trees. So this was what i thought it needed to be.
1. Sky is one mass value 1,2 light
2. Mountain top half 2/3 light and creek 3
3. bottom of mountain 5, trees 6,7 mid dark
4. land mass is mid light 4

Now i was going to carry the creek to the back where the small group of trees are to the left. Take out the log. I think the land should go further up more on the 2/3 mark of the canvas? I plan on practicing the trees and actually the whole painting before putting it on canvas. The canvas will be a 30x40. Thank you

Johannes Instructor
05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Johannes someone has asked me to paint a picture. They want mountains, creek and deer or elk. I have taken several pictures and put them together in Pse. (still learning it ). The land and mountain came together i think the land should go further up and trees smaller and mountain area smaller. I put a creek in and will make it go further back to the small group of trees in the back. Now i have done a grey scale on this picture . Which i do not feel i can use the trees of coarse are to dark and the water is the same value as the grass.
Below i tried to mark off the masses. couldnt get it to mark the creek seperate from land.
Now i know i cant use the values in the greyscale of this pic they are wrong to dark for trees. So this was what i thought it needed to be.
1. Sky is one mass value 1,2 light
2. Mountain top half 2/3 light and creek 3
3. bottom of mountain 5, trees 6,7 mid dark
4. land mass is mid light 4

Now i was going to carry the creek to the back where the small group of trees are to the left. Take out the log. I think the land should go further up more on the 2/3 mark of the canvas? I plan on practicing the trees and actually the whole painting before putting it on canvas. The canvas will be a 30x40. Thank you
I think you have a strong supporting reference photo here. So I believe this will turn out just fine. Where you got really lucky is that all the deer are positioned differently which is ideal. Remember to keep it simple. 3 value masses. This is what I would do
Mid light value = sky
mid value = mountan and terrain
mid dark = trees
You could show more of the mountain if you want so the trees don't take up too many square inchesIn this case I would probably give more square inches to the terrain because of the wild life. I would not make a big deal of the mountains in this one. I would really like to see this one finished. Please post it when you do. Be careful with the tangent of one deer touching the other. When it comes to wildlife like in this case keep each animal separate from each other as long as they are not at equal distance.

hewill4giveu
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Thank you so much Johannes i will move the baby deer so hes not touching momma. Im going to practice my different things like trees, creek, etc individually first so i feel comfortable with how they look . Then i will put them to canvas. Im very nervous knowing it and doing it is two different things but i have to start somewhere. thanks i will post when im done.

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Northlight has posted the registration link for the next course which will be called,

Essentials of Painting Buildings

After a 3 month very successful course with thousands of students, Johannes is backagain to teach a new course. He will share his expertise at painting buildingssuch as barns, stone bridges, brick homes, etc. Learn how to do house portraitsand town street scenes.
His very simple approach to perspective will take away the complexity of thissubject. Depicting buildings that tell a story will make people want to “moveinto” your paintings. Paintings with buildings tend to sell the most.

This course will give you that insight.
·June 4 - June 25. (4 classes)
· Saturday live online classes from 1 to 3 PM EDT. (Check your local time)
Fee $19.99

This course will include some video demos. Incase you miss a class, you will be able watch it on a streaming option at yourconvenience (Included in your fee.) You will be given a certificate ofcompletion at the end of the course
http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wet-canvas-live-essentials-of-painting-buildings-with-johannes-vloothuis-w6039/

Rosemarie
05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
It seems the second half of the videos are up for sale too. Difficult though toget them all on one page.

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
It seems the second half of the videos are up for sale too. Difficult though toget them all on one page.
Yes
http://www.northlightshop.com/category/online-seminars/?r=wclivesanl052511&et_mid=505923&rid=2768408

tedzart
05-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Johannes:
Thank you for offering another class. I benefited so very much from the 3 month of classes. Thanks to you, I understand so much more when attending other workshops.

Unfortunately, I will only be available to participate in one of the 4 Saturdays. I see that there will be a stream option available, which is included in the fee. How long will I have to load it onto my computer, as I will be out of town for several days in June? Will I still be eligible to receive the certificate?

By the way, the stream option was not mentioned until I read your post on wetcanvas.

Thanks again for sharing knowledge with us.
Teddy

Improv
05-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Johannes:
I see that there will be a stream option available, which is included in the fee. How long will I have to load it onto my computer, as I will be out of town for several days in June? Will I still be eligible to receive the certificate?

By the way, the stream option was not mentioned until I read your post on wetcanvas.
The email that was sent has a link to the page at Northlightshop.com:

http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wet-canvas-live-essentials-of-painting-buildings-with-johannes-vloothuis-w6039/?r=wclivesanl052511W6039&et_mid=505923&rid=49837512

On that page it says:

" In case you miss a class, you will be able watch it on a streaming option at your convenience"

I take that to mean that the streaming link will not expire.

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Johannes:
Thank you for offering another class. I benefited so very much from the 3 month of classes. Thanks to you, I understand so much more when attending other workshops.

Unfortunately, I will only be available to participate in one of the 4 Saturdays. I see that there will be a stream option available, which is included in the fee. How long will I have to load it onto my computer, as I will be out of town for several days in June? Will I still be eligible to receive the certificate?

Thanks again for sharing knowledge with us.
Teddy
The streaming will probably be available for quite a long time so you won't miss it. About the certificates I will have to get back to you on that.

tedzart
05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey Johannes:
I am already enrolled. I know you will do your very best to take care of us.
Thanks,
Teddy

Johannes Instructor
05-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Hey Johannes:
I am already enrolled. I know you will do your very best to take care of us.
Thanks,
Teddy

Oh you bet!

RainySea
05-25-2011, 11:21 PM
That is great since I have slow internet on weekends and fast on weekdays. . . I can watch on weekdays when the sound and video match up better!!! Thanks!

luvs2paint1
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I just registered! This is great, cause I'll be gone on the 11th, but knowing I can then watch it on another day rocks!

Johannes Instructor
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I just registered! This is great, cause I'll be gone on the 11th, but knowing I can then watch it on another day rocks!
Due to popular demand they put the 10% discount up again for the recorded webclasses.

hewill4giveu
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Johannes does this mean we wont get our own copy of the class download? The only way we can look at them is on line?

Johannes Instructor
05-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Johannes does this mean we wont get our own copy of the class download? The only way we can look at them is on line?
That is as far as I know yes. But they make the decisions on this.