PDA

View Full Version : Why not painted clayboards?

orniodesigns
04-16-2011, 05:45 AM
I am interrested why so few use white clayboards as their board? Most of artists here seems to use black inked board. I was never happy with my results on those! Now I paint over clayboard, scratch it and paint it over as many times as needed.

Is this just cultural :) thing or board suply thing or do you have a reason why you prefer black background?

FoggyMountain
04-16-2011, 09:45 AM
I am definitely interested in trying them; just haven't taken the time yet. They seem intriguing.

Crias
04-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I am just curious what type of paint you like to use Ornio? Quite a few have tried colored inks on white boards, which is a bit like painting. I had heard that some people have tried painting on whte white boards, but have had problems with the ink chipping off. I'd love to see a WIP of your process.

MJGresko
04-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm willing to try the white boards, in fact, I bought a variety of sizes a while back. My problem is I just don't know where to start. Need to look at some of the WIP of others who use them to get going I guess. I like the effect of the black boards but I'm not that experienced so until I actually use a white board I really can't compare.

orniodesigns
04-16-2011, 11:50 AM
I use Holbein aeroflash colors that are liquids. Brand has both opague and transparent paints. 35ml botles lasts for years! So far not a singn of any paint chipping of.

Diana Lee
04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I do both. I like color, but there is something very gratifying about pulling an image out of the black for me. I like the simplicity.

Diana

Obedec
04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Funny you should say that, I was in awe over a piece you posted in A&W and my first thought was why don't you use black claybord? I prefer the black for the same reason as Diana said above, and I love the drama of it without the layers to create the black background. I will do both if I have both bords, just prefer the black.

Harry Seymour
04-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't know why most paints could not be used on white claybord. Each medium has its' own unique properties that one has to adjust to. Venkat does beautiful works with acrylic on claybords. I've done casein, egg tempera and most recently pastel. Moreover, there is nothing to preclude these paints with blackbords. The scratching is a method that can be used alone (utilizing various tools) or in combination with brushes. In my opinion, the defining factor is the board itself which offers tremendous opportunities for variation.

I suggest the book "The New Scratchboard, Clay Surface Techniques and Materials for Today's Artists" (by Charles Ewing) which shows many uses of paints on claybord.

orniodesigns
04-16-2011, 02:46 PM
In my experience watercolours do not work very well since they mostly just float on the surface. Acrylics do fine and after aclylic I often use coloured pencils.

Diana Lee
04-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Ampersand makes a board that works well with watercolor. It's textured.

Diana

lorna12
04-17-2011, 04:14 AM
I think the colored boards no matter what the medium when done well are quite wonderful. I've tried color and clayboard and have done a nice piece, but I think if I was going to go full color I would prefer painting with acrylics on a regular surface.

For me, it's all about the light and I love the drama of black and white images, so I use the black boards. Only rarely do I use color to make a statement.

PaintDog
04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I do use the white boards (Claybord) - I paint/draw the blacks with India ink (Koh-i-noor Ultradraw) where I want them and then scratch and re-ink as needed.
See this Boston Terrier WIP
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915432

I tried using watercolor on a white board (the regular Claybord, not the textured) also - doesn't wash on very well, and it tends to lift with subsequent layers, but with scratching to smooth the paint and give it places to settle, it worked out fine. I also used some India ink & color pencil. See this bunny WIP: http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926055

I know there are other threads with color on white, but I can't recall which ones.

The black boards though, seem to define scratchboard - most people think of that as the base media when they hear or say "scratchboard". I really need to get my backside in gear and work on some black boards - I'm so inspired by what I see in this group!