PDA

View Full Version : **** Daily Wash - Saturday 9th April 2011 ****

CJMonty
04-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Well, Hello Everyone from another Sunny Cloudless Perth Day. They say we have a 90% chance of rain tomorrow and are estimating 10 to 20mm, so lets hope they are right. Mind you it would take a lot more than that to even start to make an impression on a lot of our Dams. The latest Dam report says the Average is 22% capacity, some as low as 9% Capacity which in actual fact means mostly a muddy sludge is all that is left in them.

I have less than Half an Hour before I have to set off for work, which is a 30 minute journey each way dependant on traffic. The book that I am listening to at the moment is "The Secret Garden" which I am really enjoying. I saw the Black and White movie of it when I was about 12 years old, maybe younger. It is so well read, so too was the Sherlock Holmes book I had on previously.

Well, I will say cheerio for now and will check inlater on to see who has been around.

Take Care.
Lots of Love Carolynn :grouphug::grouphug::heart::heart::heart::):):wave::clap::thumbsup::heart::heart::heart::grouphug::grouphug:

nola276
04-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi Carolynn, I am reading one from Opra's Bookclub called Drowning Ruth, a little strange but I am enjoying it. Nope there doesn't seem to be any rain in site and with the predictions being 10 to 20 mm, it probably will only rain for 10 or 20 minutes.

Darla, I have been thinking about you a lot lately. Hope you are feeling better. I wrote a poem a few years back and I would like to dedicate it to you. I have published it on my blog (in my signature line). :grouphug:

laudesan
04-09-2011, 01:31 AM
:wave: Carolynn, and Nola..

I have been busy. I have finally been able to finalise things, set my dates in ink, and look at booking my flights, for my trip back to Canada. :thumbsup: I am excited!!!! This trip is business mixed with pleasure, and only a short one this time 12 weeks. I am looking forward to my first Canadian summer.:thumbsup:

Carolynn, fingers crossed you get rain. We have had rain on and off all week. Puts a dampener on going out to sketch, pun intended. I was going out today too, as it is sunny, cloudy - windy - but sunny, but I had to sort stuff out,and it is now too late. I don't really feel like walking to the park, so I might just sketch out my window. :-)

Nola, I haven't read a good book in ages. I miss it too. Tania gave me an ereader for Christmas, but it was faulty, so i took it back to the store and had it replaced. She bought 3 altogether for family members and Lorraine's was faulty too. She exchanged hers for a Kobo. My second one failed too, so I want to upgrade to a Sony, as it is universal. I can't get one anywhere at present, I keep being told there is a worldwide shortage on them. Maybe I can pick one up in Canada. In the meantime , I could read my ebooks on my netbook, but I just don't seem to find the time, or when I do find time, I can't settle into it. I have some awesome artbooks to read too.
How is the packing going?

Well I need a cuppa, and go sit on the patio, see if the Lorikeets come for a visit. I found a beaut dry food mix online I made up for them. I put some out yesterday afternoon, and it was gone this morning. Both the Lorikeets, and the possums, I am guessing.

I am gone........ :wave:

MRSBB
04-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Hi Carolynn, Nola, and JJ. Had a busy day in Tucson today and just trying to wind down for the night.

Carolynn, I hope your day at work is a nice one for you.

Nola, I just went and read your poem. I'll share that one with Darla. You do some nice writing. I enjoy your blog.

Hi JJ. You must be excited about our trip. I hope you have lots of fun. If you happen to see Denis, tell him hi from me. I think of him often and hope he is well.

Hi to all who follow, stay happy everyone........Lenore

Yorky
04-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Good morning all from Sunny West Lancashire - not a cloud in the sky for Grand National Day.

Hope you get your rain Carolynn, we had the driest March in 50 years.

Not long to go now Nola.

We had a lovely tour of the countryside yesterday. A little gardening today I think then it's dinner with friends then off to Southport Little Theatre this evening to see Arthur Miller's "The Price".

Have a great day.

Doug

Afriqueen
04-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Hello Carolyn, Nola, JJ, Lenore, Doug and all the washers to come.

A sunny day at last after a wet week! I have curtains to wash and tidying and sorting to do today - so limited time for painting.

Carolyn - hope you guys get some rain soon - dam position sounds serious
Nola - your poem is lovely and I enjoyed your blog
JJ - :( about your ereader. I have a kindle and love it. Currently reading Kathy Reichs 'Mortal Remains' - good book
Lenore - hope you sleep tight :)
Doug - enjoy the play

:wave: to all still to come and :grouphug: for those not feeling great - especially Darla - hoping for that sunshine of the soul to shine on you today
All blessings everyone
Gill

laudesan
04-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Hi JJ. You must be excited about our trip. I hope you have lots of fun. If you happen to see Denis, tell him hi from me. I think of him often and hope he is well.

I sure will..

Doug, did you take photos?

Gill, I would have bought a Kindle or a Kobo, until I found out they were store specific. Sony isn't which is why I want one, I am going to get the touch. I will have to put a wee bit more money into the money I got back from Tania's gift, but I have her blessing to upgrade when I can. I am eagerly waiting...

I have just taken to super photos of the lorikeets eating the "new" dry mix I made for them. They love it, and they have water nearby as well.

Scene Chaser
04-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Good day All,
Having a little trouble sleeping again. Going to eat a carb or two and get back to bed.
JJ, What ebook gave you the trouble?

Doug, Enjoy the play tonight. I saw Arthur Miller once in Los Angelas at an auto show in 1971, but did not talk to him. He had a girl on each arm. I guess he got over Marilyn Monroe.

I am reading Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol"

Gill, Reading paperbacks may be less expensive but lately I'm thinking an ereader would be easier on my eyes.

Lenore, Let's go back to bed, dear.

later,
Bill

Yorky
04-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Very few photos as I was driving JJ, But you can find Settle, Yorkshire (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=16+Duke+St,+Settle,+BD24+9,+UK&aq=0&sll=53.965314,-2.437334&sspn=0.00823,0.026093&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=16+Duke+St,+Settle,+North+Yorkshire+BD24+9,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=54.068729,-2.277195&panoid=fMMqO7wKgOryizm6tw0IZQ&cbp=12,166.84,,0,-0.22&ll=54.068606,-2.277185&spn=0.004105,0.013046&z=17) and Slaidburn, Clitheroe UK (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Slaidburn,+Clitheroe,+UK&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.149289,106.875&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Slaidburn,+Clitheroe,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.966841,-2.441046&spn=0.00823,0.026093&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.966819,-2.440757&panoid=_eOj-jzVvXFFvHBzu_2YOw&cbp=12,89.33,,0,3.63) on Street View.

Best laid plans and all that. Ruth noticed water on the carpet aand looking up found it was coming from the airing cupboard. Looks like the shower pump has been leaking :rolleyes:

Doug

laudesan
04-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the links Doug. Sorry about your leak.

I got to take some more photos of the Lorikeets tonight, just on dusk. It is amazing here, I do love it. The lorikeets come late in the afternoon. They leave at dusk. The kookaburra call/laugh for about half an hour, then the crickets start chirping. Next the possums are out. How cool is that, and I live in a capital city! I am not more than 15 minutes from the Post Office in the CBD. I can see now, why I could virtually pick a price for my house and get it, when I am ready. Cool!

Here are a couple of photos I took just as the sun was setting.

Noisy Minor Bird Look Here (http://australianmuseum.net.au/Noisy-Miner)

"wasn't me...wasn't me either"

doppler
04-09-2011, 04:46 AM
Evening all.

Doug:wave:

Carolyn, Brisbanes dams got to 15% and there were governmental bitten nails all over before the "great rains" that then flooded. More bitten nails. 100% is drinking water .. something like 200+% is flood mitigation. It got dangerously close to the upper limit during the Brisbane floods where there is no more control on water release... spillway. I know the media and habitual blamers are now blaming the weather bureau for the weather and the dam operators for the floods but ... I'll stop now and just suggest they should move onto to something more palatable like Justin Bieber.

When we first moved here and installed the rain guage (for several years the most useless bit of equipment we had) we'd get really excited about 5mm. Husband emptied it today after the showers this week and got 26.
It'll all change.

Gill ... :eek: NOOO! Don't wash curtains! What will become of the biosphere? And my own self respect? :lol:

JJ .. books ... try Major Pettigrews Last Stand by Helen Simonson. It's a honey! Good trip :thumbsup:

Lenore .. I hope you are travelling well.

Nola .. you will be secreting gouache in every spare corner of your 'van by now .. well I would .... BTW it looks very luxurious :thumbsup: Parents 'van was very well appointed too .. including porta potty. They went .. well.. everywhere as did their pet cockatoo (Legs .. that's the name) who had the honour of being the only sulphur crested cockatoo to dig hollows in every state of Australia.

Husband has bought me an Iphone ( gosh kick the Luddite!!! Me :lol: ) and is now threatening to buy me an IPad :heart: Whop! Another kick to the Luddite.

Fun, if a bit clicky. Then there are the Balinese dancers hand swipes over the thing.

Sleep well Bill

:wave: to all following ..

laudesan
04-09-2011, 05:00 AM
JJ, What ebook gave you the trouble? It was the Laser ereader (http://www.laserco.net/component/products/detail/445/215) from Target. Mine would not hold it's charge. It was a multi media thingy, it had movie functions supposedly, I didn't try it, and music and photo storage too. It only had 6 hours battery life.

Annie, I will have a look out for it. New toys!! Wow!!

Yorky
04-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Here's a farm we passed near Slaidburn.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2011/1046-Farmstead.jpg

Doug

laudesan
04-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Gosh Doug, that is flat for England :D

Yorky
04-09-2011, 05:15 AM
It's at the top of a hill Judy ;)

Doug

laudesan
04-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Ah ha!! :D

Johnnie
04-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Beautifull Wonderfull Bird pictures.. Wow.. How Nice..

Johnnie

painterbear
04-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just after 6:00 a.m. here in still sleeping Oakwood. Another nice day forecast for today.

Gill, my DH Larry and I plan to mop the kitchen and bathrooms floors today. :rolleyes: Exciting, eh. They are in dire need of a bath after only being swept since Larry's accident. We do them in tandem, I mop up the dirt and he does the rinsing with clean water. :D Something about Spring brings out the cleaner in us all I guess.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Annie, I understand about being a Luddite with modern techie things. We must be the last couple on earth not to have a cell phone, e-reader, or some sort of i Pad apparatus. ;)

I'm reading a book by Donna Leon called Drawing Conclusions. Her protagonist is called Commissario Guido Brunetti of the Venice police. This is her 20th book in the series and we've read all of them I think. She's a good writer and it brings back memories of Venice as the characters roam through the city.

doppler
04-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Johnnie .. you can skin 'em anywhere but their home country .. here. And you wouldn't want to if you you met them. They're pretty good people on the planet.

I do hope the bagpipes are going well .. one of my husbands ancestors was exiled from Scotland (a few centuries ago) for "killing a piper". I can only imagine (on current descendent behaviour) it would have been be at 4 am after a big night at the hall. :lol:

Seriously .. how the hell do you coordinate breathing, fingers and elbows ( or is that Irish pipes? ) Whatever ..

Admire that you can.

XPost Sylvia .. re bathrooms ... I haven't either and I have no excuse. :lol:
Big excitement for me ... after the Balinese dancer training was planting spuds (potatoes).

At least we get reception here with the Ithingy instead of imitating Anna Pavlova on the points on the footpath ... a sight no-one should ever have to behold .... sober.... or ever.

Johnnie
04-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Johnnie .. you can skin 'em anywhere but their home country .. here. And you wouldn't want to if you you met them. They're pretty good people on the planet.

I do hope the bagpipes are going well .. one of my husbands ancestors was exiled from Scotland (a few centuries ago) for "killing a piper". I can only imagine (on current descendent behaviour) it would have been be at 4 am after a big night at the hall. :lol:

Seriously .. how the hell do you coordinate breathing, fingers and elbows ( or is that Irish pipes? ) Whatever ..

Admire that you can.

Hi Annie..

Well I deleted that at the prompting of Doug.. Guess was not good taste but have done that before in the bush. Not that particular brand but quail and cornish hens etc. .they are still birds. Funny some are ok to cook and others are not.. lol

Bagpipes.

coordinate breathing, fingers and elbows ( or is that Irish pipes? ) Well thats for the GHB pretty much.. The Irish ones you have to add Wrist lol

Yes I have Great Highland pipes McCallums actually Silver , blackwood and Antler mounts.. oh.oh.

I also have Uillean full set. Irish pipes.. They are brass, antler mounts and African Blackwood..

Irish pipes are considered the hardest instrument in the world to learn. Takes years.. There are 7 double cane reeds to deal with and that is a chore on its own.. The GHB only have 4 to which the chanter is a double reed..

Speaking of killing a piper.. My wife almost killed me when she came home one day and my pipe teacher was there in the kitchen doing his thing.. First lesson.. lol.. never forget it.. Walt my teacher don't either. lol

I never knew that anyone hated bagpipes. I thought everyone liked them. Well what a shock when I found out Mama hated them just hated them. So I sold them and forgot about it to make peace. have to live with her after all lol.. Then she died.. and about 5 months or so after bought another set, the McCallums and never looked back..I enjoy it. Too old and not good enough to play in a Pipe band but thats ok..

Thanks for asking

Johnnie

Uilleann Irish pipes first pic
My McCallum GHB second pic

Flattwo
04-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi to All

What a beautiful day it is here (apart from radioactivity in the air)

I never watch or bet on the Grand National race, it is one of cruelist sporting events around, 18 horses had been killed during or after this race since 1979, including 3 in 1998.

See you later

Henry

JudyL
04-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Hi :wave:
A beautiful day here, and on a weekend too! So good the boys (Jack and Rodney ) are mowing the hill in front of our house. It takes two, one at the top of the hill and one at the bottom, the mower, a hover craft type, on a rope. Usually attracts spectators, one will say "I wondered how you did that!"
We are having new carpeting put in the master bedroom this week so I must do some clearing out of the other one, to make room for stuff.

BBL

nola276
04-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Hi Johnnie, It's just so admirable to be able to play an instrument of any kind, let alone such a complicated one. Shame they sound so :eek::lol:.

Hi Annie, No I'm not secreting gouache in every spare corner. I'm turfing stuff out and plonking the gouache front and center:lol:. Had to buy myself another brush though which will never see a gouache tube. Ruined my other sable on it. I'm just a bit heavy handed I suppose. You've got to get your priorities right with packing. Gouache packed first followed by fishing lines, followed by clothes then if there's room, food:smug:. Lucky girl, I believe the IPad's are really great, but not really much good in the LONI. Had to google Luddite:eek:.

Hi Sylvia, I'm with Annie, cleaning's got nobs on it!

Hi JJ, I noticed that there was a Sony Touch on Ebay. Do any of you guys using EReaders have eye problems. I get tired sore eyes if I read too much on my computer screen. Lovely photos JJ. You don't need to go caravaning, you have it all at your door!

Hi Doug, how come you are getting water from your bathroom coming through your Clothes Airer? Are they attached?

Thank you Lenore, I do enjoy reading and writing poetry, but I can't read it out loud or in public. Anyone who knows me knows I am a very wet person, I cry at the drop of a hat. I cry when I laugh, I cry when I am sad, and I cry when I write or read poetry. I could possibly be the answer to Perth's water shortage:D. I'm not at all a depressed person, far too glib and jolly most of the time, just extremely WET. No one will sit next to me at a funeral for fear of flooding.:lol::lol::lol:

Hi Bill, warm milk usually does the trick.

Thank you Gill. Annie's right, if you'll give us all a bad name if you keep cleaning.

Hi JudyL and Henry. Henry, are you glowing in the dark?

laudesan
04-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Doug, how did your demo go, with the Lorikeet photo?

Nola, I am a bit worried about buying one off ebay at present, how do I know it is genuine? You sure got your priorities right girl!!

Uschi
04-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

Oh my God, temperature is going up to +14C, and it's beautifully sunny:clap: -3C right now.

Table tennis in the morning and after a couple of hours of rest will attempt a bit more gardening. I'll also have to do some shopping for tomorrow's brunch. That's my day in two lines:lol:

Nola, really lovely interior of your trailer!!!!

Geoff, your caravan looks wonderful too!!

Char, what a day you had :rolleyes:

Carolynn, Annie, Nola, what would happen if the water runs out?? Has it ever happened or does mother nature step in in the last minute?

My friend Rita has given me about 15 Peter Robinson books so I won't need to worry about what to read next.

Sylvia, my kids keep threatening me with a gift of a cell phone:D I ask them, what on earth for:D

Darla, I hope this is a good day for you!!!!

Also :wave: to Johnnie, Lenore, Doug, Bill, Judy, Henry, Gill, JJ and all yet to come and wishing you a good day!!

Uschi

Claddar
04-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Hi All,
I don't know if you remember me from a few years ago. So much has happened. Too much to post.
I do stop by occasionally. I do continue to paint but not as much as all of you. I now teach art to grades 3 through 8 in a Catholic school & next year will teach pre-kindergarten through 8 to over 200 kids at the same school.
I had my own art exhibit of about 38 paintings at our library last year.

The reason I'm posting today is that my daughter (grown now) & I will be traveling to the UK April 25-30. It's a mother/daughter trip. DH will stay home this time. We will be staying with friends of hers in Coventry & one night in Oxford with another. Are there attractions, museums and the like that are a not to be missed? I know we will spend at least one day in London. I would also like to see a castle. We plan to avoid the thousands of people in London the day of the royal wedding which is also my daughter's birthday. I have read all sorts of tour guides but there is so much to see in such a short time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Debbie

Afriqueen
04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Nola and Annie, don't panic too much - the environment is safe for another 24hrs - didn't get round to the curtains (which by the way I DON'T normally wash except these are hardly used and I'm donating them to someone). So will have to try again tomo - too much distraction :D

Johnnie, I wish oh I wish I could hear your bagpipes. I'm a total bagpipe fan - must be my Scottish blood showing. Send them here anyday, along with the piper to play them - we have plenty of mist to skirl them through! Huh? Don't know if that makes sense. :confused:

JJ, you are so lucky to have such lovely birds and wildlife around your house. We're also blessed to be right in the city (well 10 mins away from the centre) and have plenty of birds and critters - vervet monkeys, porcupine, blue duiker, bush pigs, ornery duiker, bushbuck, and once I saw an otter. Just love being woken by the birdsong.

Oh and the kindle is designed to be a reader - so no back lighting which gives you the sore eyes - it's just like reading a book. Downside is can't read in the dark without a light :cool: and no colours, black and white only.

Henry, I'm with you on the Grand National - saw it once on tv - never again! :crying:

:wave: for now!

Yorky
04-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Debbie, good to see you. Best way to see cities is to use the CitySightseeing tour buses (http://www.city-sightseeing.com/). There is one in Oxford that takes around 45 minutes, you buy a ticket and can hop off and on all day. The best way is to do a full tour then second time around you know where to hop off.

Best check whether museums are open on the Royal wedding day - It has been made a holiday.

Hi Doug, how come you are getting water from your bathroom coming through your Clothes Airer? Are they attached?
Well Nola, the peculiarities of the UK system is we have a 30 gallon tank of hot water in a cupboard on the first (2nd) floor where the shower pump is also situated. Traditionally the cupboard has slatted shelves and can be used to air clothes - hence "airing cupboard". They are fast becoming obsolete as direct supply "combi" boilers are replacing old style boilers.

Well, the plumber cam within the hour and fitted a new washer on the pump connection and :crossfingers: hopefully solved the problem. What's more he only asked for £15 :clap: Now we have a little decorating to do :rolleyes:

So we should be able to go to the theatre after all.

72F outside now.

Doug

artmom
04-09-2011, 08:50 AM
. . .

Oh and the kindle is designed to be a reader - so no back lighting which gives you the sore eyes - it's just like reading a book. Downside is can't read in the dark without a light :cool: and no colours, black and white only.

Gill, I've had a Kindle since they were first released and isn't it wonderful!!! The new Kindles have a lighted cover you can buy, my SIL bought her one. I don't read in bed, so I don't care whether it has a light or not. The great thing I like about the Kindle is the range of font size you can choose. Also, it is so simple to use; long battery life because there is no back lighting. I LOVE my Kindle. :) My DIL reads a lot of magazines, so she bought the Nook for the color.

JJ, Ed has an I-Touch and I bought him a Kindle for Christmas -- he prefers the Kindle for just reading -- the I-Touch he uses for other things, too.

Samantha has found an apartment, unfurnished, so she is out looking for everything!!! She loves shopping, so she is in her element! :lol:

Lyn

laudesan
04-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi there Debbie, welcome back. :thumbsup: When I went to London, I had prebooked that ride on Big Bus Tour (http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/international/default.aspx), Doug mentioned and also the Duck Tour. (http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/) I had a blast!!! They are fully commentated!! For one day, this is just the ticket! Have a ball!!

Lyn, I don't need an IPad Touch, I have just bought a net book. I would think seriously about one, if I hadn't though. Lucky Ed..

Gill, your wildlife sounds fantastic too!!! With the EReader, like Kindle and Sony, one can buy a cover with a light! No worries reading in bed in the dark..

Doug, glad your water problem was fixed so easily..

Uschi, busy girl :thumbsup:

shipbroker
04-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Afternoon all......20C and cloudless....

Been doing a carboot stall this morning...did quite well but car still full of 'stuff' so will empty it now and look in again tonight.

geoff

CharM
04-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Good morning! We've been without internet most of the morning and I'm a little pressed for time... Our friends will be here shortly and we're heading out for breakfast with them... then on to "Carva-Paloosa"... :) It's an event where woodcarvers create sculptures using chain saws and big tools... :)

I took some photos of the new squirrel feeder...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2011/20514-SquirrelFeeder.jpg

Which then becomes a bluejay trap...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2011/20514-SquirrelFeederBlueJay.jpg

Which then becomes smorgasbord temptation...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2011/20514-SquirrelFeederKitty.jpg

Johnnie... you are learning... :) Those pipes are beautiful...

Gill... I've been reading the entire Kathy Reich's series! Good stuff, eh?

Lyn... Samantha will be in my thoughts... glad she's found an apartment!

I have to get going... Can't reply to everyone today, but I've enjoyed reading your posts so much... I hope you all have the very best day!!! :heart:

laudesan
04-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Char, that is a cool feeder! Wow, Ted is good! Laughing at the Blue Jay and the kitty. Did the Blue Jay get out on his own, or did he have to be shown how?

I too, am reading the entire Kathy Reich series. I love her writing. I get my books at Sam's Warehouse for $6.00 each..:thumbsup:

Claddar
04-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Thank you for the tour information. The bus is a great idea!
Beautiful day here in northern Vermont. Still lots of snow but at least the sun is out & it will be warming up.

Debbie

Scene Chaser
04-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Judy, When Doug drove us by your house last summer, I did wonder how you mowed your lawn.

Uschi, You should move the tennis table outdoors.

Doug, our plumber charge $50 to to make the trip, then $50 an hour plus parts. Glad it didnít spoil your evening.

Hi Lyn, does the light on the cover allow you to read in bed or without lighting?

Char, LOL

Bill

Flattwo
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Gill, 2 horses died during the race, the winning horse was also de-hydrated and in a critical condition.

The Grand National! more like a national disgrace! it is all about profit for the sponsors and bookmakers

Henry

Strawberry Wine
04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Morning Washers from another beautiful sunny day in the Grove... Gardening is beckening but it is still too early to be clearing all the leaves from the beds. The nights are still below freezing. The beneficial ladybugs hibernate under the leaves. The grass received a lot of winter kill and their are areas that are very dead. Lots of little tunnels so I guess the mice and voles were very active. I can rake all the dead stuff up, add some triple mix and top soil and overseed..

I also have to grocery shop today. (yuck)

Sylvia and Uschi, we have a pay as you go, bare bones, cell phone.. No texting or voice mail.. It costs about $10 per month or pre paid less than a $100 per year and of course no contract. It does provide us with peace of mind that the phone is with us and available for emergency use. However, I do call Dan or he will call me occasionally to bring in something from town if one of us is out and about.

Char, Very cool feeder !! Do the squirrels have to lift the lid or get to the seed via the holes. The one we had was similar where they had to sit on the platform and lift the lid to get to the peanuts... I think it was the chipmunk who couldn't figure it out and chewed the lid to gain access.

Short but read everyone's posts... Gotta run

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

footman
04-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Because I finally got to put some paint on my brush today after a long break I thought I'd drop in and say hello :wave:

We're on holiday in Egypt at the moment. We've done a number of the ancient sites, and at we're just having a final few days in Luxor. Then back to work to save up for next time!

HAWLTAIN :wave:

Uschi
04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Ohhhhh, the thrill of the first real Spring day:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is absolutely gorgeous outside, My french doors are wide open, the motorbikes are out, the cars have their tops down, kids (university students) are wearing shorts and I am in the process of putting on my old peddle pusher gardening pants and head outside.

I have a question - how do you bird feeding people stop from the seeds going mildewy inside the feeders?????

Char, beautiful feeder and I too am curious how the blue jay got out:D

Looks like the flowers are behind, daffodils are only up about 2 1/2" but are supposed to bloom in about 10 days BUT the crocuses are out:thumbsup:

I mustn't waste this beautiful day on the computer so :wave: to all!!!

Uschi

Ellen in Ont
04-09-2011, 02:07 PM
:wave: everyone,
I'm up after yet another nightshift. Two more to go and then I'll have a week off.

At work last night we had a little excitement. A small box (like a computer) which runs a digital X-ray viewing center in the unit overheated. We noticed a smell like a combination of burning rubber and perm solution. It took us a while to track it down (with security guards help). When we found it was coming from this box. There was no smoke showing so we unplugged it but it didn't cool down. It was so hot I lightly burned my fingers just touching it for a split second on the bottom of it picking it up to take it out of the unit an hour after unplugging it. Security put it in a stair well where it couldn't do any damage and was cool. It stayed hot for about 4 hours until it started cooling down (no more smell coming from it). He figured there was still a battery back-up keeping things going. Talk about a close call. We only had one vented patient in the unit and we are trained to evacuate a patient like that to another unit in probably less than a minute if we needed to. Still, didn't feel like doing that in the middle of the night.

Not much more news. I'm going to have a coffee and then I'm off to Michael's to see options for trying Ona's technique for gallery wrapping. I am going to buy one of those hard board wooden boxes things and a shadow box frame. I'll take pics of my experiment too.

Have a great weekend everyone.

happhoto
04-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Good morning Washers!!

Did not get in yesterday at all :o so busy getting ready for opening day at the ballpark...beautiful sunny spring day, gorgeous!! Of course as soon as the sun dipped below the western horizon...it got colder than a well diggers....ankle!:evil: The ballpark was FULL, great starting ceremony, and a commemoration of the broadcaster who had been with us since the team originated 35+ years ago...he passed away during the off season and it was a BIG blow to the many thousands of fans who listened to him on the radio and telly!

The game however was another story entirely!:eek: We STANK!! Played terribly and got soundly beaten by a score of 12-3!! Very embarrassing!!

Got home after midnight, and Annie was waiting up for me...which was extra nice as today is her birthday, so I was able to sing her "Happy Birthday" from the very first moments! Today I ordered her a Kindle for her birthday, we got one for Amanda for Christmas and she liked it (Anne did) so I bought her one as well...hope she still likes it after she gets it!!:wink2:

Too much to respond to individually, so I'll say what Char, Uschi, Sylvia, Doug, and others have said!!

Off to surprise wifey with another Birthday happy!!

hap

Afriqueen
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi Debbie, I can recommend a visit to the Tower of London - it's really interesting and the beefeaters who lead the tours around are so knowledgeable. And you get to see the crown jewels too! But do check if it's open that day.

Lyn, yes, I love my kindle too. I think I'll have to order a clip on light for it. I really should have got the cover with the built-in light. Don't know why I didn't.

Charm - lovely pics of the squirrel feeder, the bird and the kitty. What a laugh I had - just love the cat's expression! And yes, I love Kathy Reichs - all her books are good. Also love Elizabeth George and PD James - as you can probably tell, am always keen for a good murder/detective story :)

Uschi, your spring (+14C) is definitely not weather I would sit outside in, wear shorts in or open the French doors in!!! For us, that would be an extremely cold day and I would be sitting inside on top of a heater or next to the fireplace with layers of clothing on, drinking hot chocolate and trying to keep warm!! I guess you guys are used to colder though so perhaps for you it is warm.

Hello Ellen, Gail, Bill and Kate.

Hap - sorry about your baseball score :( Better luck next time. Hope you enjoyed the game anyway. Birthday wishes to your good lady and hope she enjoys the kindle as much as I do mine.

Well that's all from me for today washers. To all of you including those still to come, greetings and blessings
Gill

shipbroker
04-09-2011, 02:53 PM
stop from the seeds going mildewy inside the feeders?????

Looking at the wildlife they gather I don't think it lasts long enough to mildew Uschi!!!

Message from Claire who is spending Easter Holidays in Turkey...would I go around to her house and put together a new light fitting!...... sends it when I can't reply!! Anyway,someone ( a pupil I think) has given her some flowers and Eileen might as well have them here....

Golf from Augusta on live here shortly so that will keep me going....I missed the Melrose 7's Rugby this weekend...for reasons we all know...Malaysian F1 GP on tomorrow.....

Good night all

geoff

ReggieS
04-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Afternoon all! I have been packing and doing laundry. All done now to shower and drive to Connecticut (3 hrs.). I got out of work at 8 last eve and then drove home, got home at 9 and we went across the street to Bella Luna and Italian restaurant. Had ravioli and Al had Zuppa di Pesce. WE had the leftovers for lunch today. It was nice after sucha long day and a long week. Got caught up pretty well. Dan told me I did a great job which made me feel good.

The conference starts at 7am in the morning. I slept terribly last night, I hope I sleep well tonight at the hotel. It is a Maririott. It is a beautiful hotel, they have the conference there every year as it is next to Mystic and the MYstic Seaport. It is right across from the Groton Naval and submarine base.
It is about 15 mins from the Mohegan Sun and MGM casinos so maybe one night I'll go over there and eat and play the slots for awhile.

Hap- HAppy Birthday to Annie!:music:

Char - that is some feeder.Did the Blue Jay get out ok?

Lyn- Tell Samantha happy shopping and good luck with her new home!

To else have a great day!:clap:

Gotta get going. Will check in later and in the am.

Reggie

Uschi
04-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Just taking a little rest. Actually I am worn out and my back is killing me but I have to put the fertilizer on the grass because we are expecting rain for the next three days which will work nicely to feed the roots.

I already have 5 large brown garden waste bags packed full and barely done half the garden. That reminds me I have to take them into the garage so they don't get wet. I guess that is the end of the car being in there.

I also still have to get the groceries for tomorrow.

Gill, that is 14C in the shade, the sun is already quite warm.

Reggie, enjoy your trip and conference!!

:wave: to ALL!!
Uschi

CharM
04-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Hiya! We had a lovely day, even though it was pretty cold and raw outside. Uschi, it never warmed above 7C today... My lunch was so big that I brought half of it home to share with Magoo... he loves fish & chips, so I know he'll enjoy my leftovers.

The CarvaPaloosa was really a treat to see... Chainsaw Sculptors from all over the world participated in this 5-day event... I guess this is the third year that it's been hosted right here in the outskirts of the little town of Highgate (just down the road from us)... Each day, the participants carve something from huge tree trunks or logs and tomorrow, all these art pieces will be auctioned off. There is some incredibly awesome art and it's amazing that these sculptors create what they do with the tools they use...

As to the poor confused blue jay, Ted had to reach into the jar to release him...

I'm off to make something light for dinner... :wave:

laudesan
04-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Gill, 2 horses died during the race, the winning horse was also de-hydrated and in a critical condition.

The Grand National! more like a national disgrace! it is all about profit for the sponsors and bookmakers

Henry :mad: That is absolutely dreadful. Where are the vets?

Because I finally got to put some paint on my brush today after a long break I thought I'd drop in and say hello :wave:

We're on holiday in Egypt at the moment. We've done a number of the ancient sites, and at we're just having a final few days in Luxor. Then back to work to save up for next time!

HAWLTAIN :wave:Hey!!! :wave: :thumbsup: Great to see you. Wow Egypt. That is one place I want to visit too..

Hap :wave: Busy Man. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Annie!!! :heart: :grouphug: :thumbsup: :clap:

Char, :-)) I thought he might have needed help, especially after he had eaten his fill, he would have been in Blue Jay heaven with all that food and no competition.

I am off to draw a train shortly.

:wave:

MRSBB
04-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi everyone. Just cruising through. I want to wish Hap's Anne a Happy Birthday. Hope her day was special, but knowing Hap, I'm sure it was.

I finally got into Johannes class today. I usually remember to sign in to late and it's always full. Really enjoyed it today as it was totally about landscapes and limited palette. We did lose power her for a bit and I had to reboot the computer, but I was able to get back in.

Lovely shots of the birds JJ. I enjoyed seeing them and your getting quite good with that camera.

Annie, yes I traveled fine. Perhaps I should drop you a line.

Nola, your personality sounds like mind. I am also a very upbeat positive person, but also a sentimental wet one. Lots of music makes me cry and poetry and nice writings, or seeing a newborn. Lol at the funeral. Maybe I should go with you to fill up Perth's water tanks.

Hi Doug, Gill, Bill, (I slept like a baby), Johnny, Sylvia, Henry, Judy, Uschi, Debbie, Lyn, Geoff, Char, Gail, Kate, Ellen, Reggie, and I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Uschi, you were warmer that Arizona today. We only got to 42, but we had lovely rain all day and boy did we need it. Stay happy everyone......Lenore

Flattwo
04-10-2011, 08:38 AM
JJ, it would be too late for vets to do anything to save them, the horses usually break their necks and die instantly when they fall jumping ove the high fences

laudesan
04-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Henry that is just dreadful :mad: