PDA

View Full Version : S&T April 2011

samben84
04-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I've not started a monthly thread before, but here goes:

These are just some earrings I made the other day for a customer. He wanted two pair exactly alike, one for his wife, one for his MIL. He said they always dress alike and if he gets one something, he has to get the same for the other. I made him four pair to choose from. He wanted them either in sapphire or purple.

The earrings all have silver plated ear wires, the first has white quartz and howlite turquoise; the second pair has dyed lapis; the third has sapphire swarovski crystals and fresh water pearls; the last has glass round and bugle beads. The rest of the metal is silver base metal.

The customer chose the last pair. I like the third pair best, I think.

Sorry about the size of the pics. :o

RWSewell
04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
All four pairs have a very attractive component, whether it's color alone or a particular balance of color, size and shape. The last two pairs strike me as the more geometric so I can see why your client chose pair no. 4 and you like pair no. 3. No. 3 is the most understated of the four in terms of color and I find them very appealing as well. Having said that I like the howlight turquoise for the color...and of course the butterflies in the second pair. Very nicely done, Sandy!

:) Rob

samben84
04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Ok, here I am again. This is a necklace for Lianna, my daughter-in-law, today. Nothing like last minute... again.

Handmade polymer clay pendant, leather cord, base metal findings, swarovski crystals. Necklace is approx 22" long. Pendant is about 1.5x2.25"

samben84
04-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I've decided to try to make at least one piece of jewelry a day, plus do a bit of painting a day. That doesn't mean I'll actually get it posted, though.

Here's todays: polymer clay beads by me, African jade and base metal beads; base metal chain and findings. The sparkly stuff on the black (which is on the backs of the flowerdy parts) is supposed to be there. The green looks sort of yellow, but it is actually chartreuse.

RWSewell
04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
"Flowerdly?" ;) :D

Gonna be hard to keep up with your work at such a pace but I'm sure that's a complaint you're happy to hear.

Your pieces really capture attention with your use of colors and how you balance it with the neutrals (the blacks, crystals and silvers). Likewise I see a measure of restraint with how much color you're using (something I believe I mentioned earlier). You seem quite comfortable working with simple constructions or heavy, both with satisfying results. I like these both.

samben84
04-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I totally reworked the second pair and took new pics. I also retook pics of the first pair. I'm needing to work on my picture taking skills, also.

RWSewell
04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Excellent improvement in both areas. The turquoise pair are much more attractive in this arrangement. Nice composition on the rock picture BTW.

samben84
04-14-2011, 03:16 PM
I've decided to try to make at least one piece of jewelry a day, plus do a bit of painting a day. That doesn't mean I'll actually get it posted, though.

Clarification: That is, the five days a week I'm at work.

samben84
04-15-2011, 01:07 PM
I didn't have any chain to use with this pendant I made, so I made one. I think I might try it some more. Necklace is brass with base gold jumprings. Pendant is my version of mokume gane in polymer clay and brass. Chain is about 22" long. Pendant is about 1.5".

Earrings are base silver findings with silver plated hooks, turquoise fossil and glass beads. Drop is 3".

samben84
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Four pair of earrings alike except for the beads. Each one has a handmade 1.5" brass hoop, nickle tube bead with dangle loop and base gold findings. Drop is just a tad over 2". The different beads are:
1. Faux green cloisonne and chrysolite swarovskis
2. Coral fossil and hyacinth swarovskis
3. Faux black cloisonne and fern green swarovskis
4. Faux blue cloisonne and aquamarine swarovskis
The next picture is just one I wanted to add of all of them together.

samben84
04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Faux white cloisonne, two sizes fuchsia fossil beads, base silver findings

RWSewell
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Phenomenal creative output, enjoying your color pairings, particularly the blue cloisonne and aquamarine swaroskis. You're doing great!

samben84
04-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks, Rob. I try to make something for everyone. Of course, my favorite is the coral. :D

RWSewell
04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Of course, my favorite is the coral. :D

Thought it might be...very warm and bright.

Question: did you handpaint the cloisonne?

samben84
04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Question: did you handpaint the cloisonne?
No, they were some beads that I had from before.

I'd had a pair of the green ones, that were different, on my Etsy site and they'd been picked to look at for Mother's Day. Unfortunately, I didn't have them any more.

A lady came around looking for donations for an annual event for foster parents. I let Madison pick out two pair of earrings to donate and that was one of them.

samben84
04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I have two pair for today, but only one is fit to photograph. The second pair is made of rose quartz chips and I noticed they had been sitting out and gotten dusty. Any ideas on how to clean them? Should I just soak them and then scrub with a toothbrush?
Anyway, this pair of earrings is made from sterling Bali connector and head pins, base silver hooks and ruby swarovski crystals. Drop from bottom of hook is 1". I used ruby this time because it's my birthstone. I may just keep them. I had one pair of silver hooks left that I was going to use, but I broke one of them. :rolleyes:

RWSewell
04-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Like the shape of these, definitely a pretty pair.

Just my opinion but I think you should rephotograph this pair. Seems to me the swarovski crystals are lost in the shadow of the rock and robs them the punch of their color.

samben84
04-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I agree. I'll do that and repost as soon as I have something else to photograph also.

samben84
04-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Sorry, no new pic for today. Too busy having an emotional/business crisis. Will try for tomorrow.

samben84
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Here's a reshoot of the silver and ruby swarovskis.
Also, an experiment in making a man's choker. Leather cord, bone and glass beads. The leather cord is too skinny, but I don't have any appropriate large holed beads. What to do? The leather cord will open up to about 24" or so. That pic doesn't give a very good idea of size. The middle bone bead is about 5/8" long. The cord is 1mm.

RWSewell
04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Like the combination of the bone with the leather cord. As an experiment it's a good one. Something to consider (but this is only subjective opinion here :) ) since the cord is thin there are two directions you may want to look at. Either go with a single piece of bone and make it the focal point or add 2 more pieces of bone to make a more solid chain across the throat and use the glass beads as spacers. Either would be nice with an open-collar shirt. Let me know what you think.

samben84
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Both great ideas, Rob. I think adding more to it might be best, because it's pretty light right now and doesn't hold its shape very well. I like the idea of adding the glass beads. It would make it appear a bit heavier without being too overwhelming. I'll try to pick out some knots to redo this pretty soon.

samben84
04-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok here's a redo. Is this any better? All of the bone beads have different patterns, so it's hard to find two alike. Picture crop is not too great.

RWSewell
04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Definitely a nice improvement. Good weight and balance and I like the neutral colors. You can wear this with any shirt. Photograph this on the rock and see what you think.

sterjane
04-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Your work is just beautiful. This Wet Canvas thread is to die for.... Thanks for posting.

Esther

samben84
04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Rob - You're right. It probably would look better on the rock. I might do that later. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to work on. I've got a couple of paintings going, so I'm not sure yet.

Esther - For my part, thanks! I know there are some very talented artists who usually post here.

samben84
04-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Me, again! Surprise!

Anyway... I decided to go with something a bit romantic today. Champagne and silver. Champagne colored MOP with "silk" colored swarovskis, silver and base silver findings. I photographed them twice, but I can't quite get the light colors right. They are about 3/4" wide with a 2" drop.
Also, Rob, I rephotoed (spellcheck did not like that word.) the man's choker. Any better? I know the shadows are a bit wonky, to say the least.

RWSewell
04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
"Romantic?" Definitely. I'll go so far as to call your first pair regal. Love everything about this pair so no critique. You do know that your daughter will want this pair. Really one of your best.

Personally I don't think the champagne and silver works well on the rock, it deserves to be draped or otherwise lain (layed? laid?) on something more delicate and soft. The man's choker, however, looks great on the rock. You should post that pic straight to your Etsy gallery.

samben84
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
You read my mind, Rob. I was just getting ready to add that choker to my Etsy site.

I agree with the earring pic not working on the rock. There's not enough contrast. I really need to come up with some more props.

mtbarr
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Electroformed pieces...

samben84
04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Those are beautiful and unique, Kay! Very organic

samben84
04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Today's earrings are leopard jasper, iridescent coffee colored crystals and base silver. Drop is about 1.75"

RWSewell
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Love the colors that the iridescent coffee colored crystals pick up and reflect, can imagine some wonderful combinations from this. This pair seems a little bottom-heavy to me but it may just be the photo. Very nice.

samben84
04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
This pair seems a little bottom-heavy to me

It did to me too. That's why I added the heart and crystal at the tops. Oh well, not every pair will be great.

Getting a late start today. Fussy kids and Amanda's not picking them up until 5 or so. I have gotten some painting done, though.