PDA

View Full Version : Rascal-scractchboard take 1

animaldoctor
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
So here is where i have got to so far....he has eyes and a nose but is somewhat lacking in the fur department.:rolleyes:

i am enjoying this but still ot completly happy with any of what I have done, it needs more experimenting maybe.

any comments or criticisms or advice you may have are completly welcome

Jen

PatrickHedges
04-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Looks good so far - this feels like it's going to have an intense look to it.

I know some people will say don't crosshatch eyes, and others do it your way. You'll find your style but I recommend having a really good look through this (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534109) thread (which is in the sticky thread on closeup techniques). It will show you lots of ways to do eyes.

Harry Seymour
04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Jen-you are off to a great start. The amazing thing about scratchart is that you learn quickly by doing. This piece may not be your best but it may be what you reflect back on as one of your best experiences in learning this art form.

lorna12
04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Welcome Jen...best advice...Play!..that's the best way to learn what these boards can do...and so far I haven't found anything they can't do! Keep a scrap board to try things one when you're not sure.

Your cat is looking good...as Patrick mentioned, check out the stickies at the top of the forum, lots of great tips and hints.

I looked at the link that you put in the other thread...awesome piece, extremely well done and BTW...it's absolutely perfect for scratchboard! It kinda reminds me of one Diana Lee has done.

artofnature
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree with all of the comments above jen. The more boards you do the better you become. You will learns different techniques and tricks to help you along the way. It's all a learning curve that you must go through when you tackle something new.

I always do the eyes first too! Just have another look at the pupils too. Is one a lot bigger than the other?

Looking forward to see how this progresses.

SammyH
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Jen, I'll be interested to see how you develop this kitty. I am new to scratchboard and am working on my second board. I think if we stay in touch with the talented people at this forum, we will learn plenty. Good luck.

Snuzin Susan
04-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Def. check out the thread Patrick posted. Oh and ask away! We love helping people and answering questions :) All of us started somewhere! The nose looks really well rendered.

-Susan

Rodman
04-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Jen ... a REALLY short learning curve and you will have this.... great looking start... listen to these talented folks.... how do you like the feel of it?...

03ahmed
04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Looking good!:) Keep going!

animaldoctor
04-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Wow so many comments!! thank you all, no progress withthis yet I had a very boring assignment to write for my diploma thats taken up all my time

Patrick-thanks for the link its very useful I think i know what to try next time
Harry -ty don't think I have acheived my best in any medium yet...theres always room for improvement
Lorna- ty I am enjoying playing:)
Lesley- ty for your comments there is a difference in size on the ref but not so much as in mine
Rod- I am enjoying it I'm struggling to get my strokes even but i'm sure it will comewith practice
Ahmed- ty I will dowhen life isn't getting inthe way

no to my first question. How to I best apply ink to fix mistakes I need to make a pupil bigger?

Jen

*Violet*
04-10-2011, 01:56 AM
wow !! ... this looks like it will be stunning !! ... and interesting to follow in wip form ... i just happened upon this and always love watching wips .... your work is lovely !! ... hope to see more of it ...:wink2:

Eilymcc
04-10-2011, 05:49 AM
I like the delicate eyelashes you have created! Great link too from Patrick - have fun!

Rodman
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Jen.... washes work best... build them up... washes seem to REscratch much better than a straight ink ... I think the iris on this would be a great place to give the washes aa go.... push this scratching back some and work again on top of it. You are going to excell at this.

Diana Lee
04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Great pose!! Looks like you are having fun!
I looked at the link that you put in the other thread...awesome piece, extremely well done and BTW...it's absolutely perfect for scratchboard! It kinda reminds me of one Diana Lee has done.Lorna I can't find the other thread with the link you mentioned here. However, this cat looks a great deal like my very first scratchboard, circa 1977.

Diana

animaldoctor
04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Great pose!! Looks like you are having fun!
ILorna I can't find the other thread with the link you mentioned here. However, this cat looks a great deal like my very first scratchboard, circa 1977.

Diana
I think the link was posted in different thread but here it is for you
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928420

Violet and eilybaby thank you there wll hopefully more to see soon

Rod- ty for your help i am playing with the eyes again atm i'll post a piccy when they are done

Jen

lorna12
04-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Yup...That's the one I meant...it was in the scratchy corner thread...great piece!

animaldoctor
04-11-2011, 04:19 AM
heres my next update i have reworked the eyes and made a start on the fur. I couldn't put it down last night ....I might be addictd already lol

next question...the ink i used on the eyes is a slightly different black to the board is there any wayto hide this?
Does it even matter? ...I am just a perfectionist:rolleyes:

thank you all for your help

Jen

animaldoctor
04-11-2011, 04:20 AM
and sorry for the slightly out of focus photo willtry again after work

artofnature
04-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Jen, those eyes are starting to look great. I think when you lighten up the left eye some more on the iris you will not notice the difference inks. It's very hard to pick. Just watch your highlights in the pupil. Are they in the right place do you think? But they are looking so very moist and this is the effect you should be looking for. Keep going - you are doing great!!. Can't wait to see more - you scratchboard addict!

*Violet*
04-11-2011, 06:32 AM
i am not experienced with scratch boards by any means, but wonder if ink was used in one place and was noticeably different, couldn't it just be used for the whole surface to *level the playing field*? ...

fire angel
04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
It is really starting to come alive!!

FoggyMountain
04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
You're getting great advice - keep it up; this is looking good.

animaldoctor
04-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Thank you all for your comments

Heres the next update with a bette photo this time :)

Have decided scratch board is a dangerous artform...I managed to stab my leg with the knife...can't quite work out how i did it tho

clearly I need to be supervised by an adult lol

SammyH
04-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Jen, this is looking really good. Can't wait to see the finish.

animaldoctor
04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
I had to take time out to sort my assignment out and work gets in the way but i have made some progress

Any comments on the fur would be appriciated

ty

artofnature
04-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Coming along nicely Jen. Fur is looking great and those eyes look as though they are ready to pounce on something.

pamelalbd
04-16-2011, 01:26 AM
Hi Ty
Lesley is right! this is coming along very nicely. :) I'm looking forward to seeing it further along!

animaldoctor
04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Its finished!!!! Unless you guys can see any tweaks that it needs. It has turned out beeter than I expected before I started

C+C very welcome

Jen

theBoardLady
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Great job :thumbsup:

Tonalea
04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
It looks great! I have a quick comment on the difference in inks and original board- once you spray it when you're all done, it almost always makes it to where you can't tell where you inked. =)

animaldoctor
04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
another newbie question but what do i spray it with?

ty both for your comments

PatrickHedges
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
You could spray it with either fixative which evens everything out and makes it all look better but doesn't necessarily protect it, or you can spray with an art varnish like you'd use on an oil painting. That protects it (I usually use three to four coats) and it also makes the different black inks look similar and fingerprints dissolve and generally evens it out.

Excellent work on this too!!

*Violet*
04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
very impressive indeed !! ... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rodman
04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Jen....congratulations on your 1st. SB. Youhave done a wonderful job.... what's next?

Harry Seymour
04-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Jen--well done! Now onto the next.

FoggyMountain
04-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Nice job Jen. Looking forward to your next one too.

lorna12
04-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Great finish, Jen...well done!

SammyH
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Excellent first scratchboard. You're on the way to being an expert.

animaldoctor
04-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Thank you for your lovely comments

As for whats next I have started another feline a bit bigger this time and with colour and a variety of tools ....Lots of playing :)