PDA

View Full Version : Trio

Eilymcc
04-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Hello,:wave:
Now you can see that although I hadn't posted much in the last few weeks I have been dabbling in SB a bit!!
Now this one, I think I will need quite a bit of help with.
It is from a photo I took at the Canterbury Agriculture show in New Zealand, and I just love the image - initially I felt it would be great in B&W, tried it in charcoal but I was getting nowhere fast so I started a SB piece...jumped in at the deepend and grabbed a big board (way too overexcited with these big boards!!!:lol: ). Now I started to so dark horses on a light bg, although the bg is time consuming its easy and Ill get there eventually...problem is I am really struggling with the manes - to the extent that I shoved the board under my bed for the last few weeks as I got fed up!
I think it has potential, but less will be more with the horses - now thats not my strong point - I find it hard to create that wonderful contrast that makes SB so good!
Anyway here it is...Scalpel and FG brush on the mane...
Ampersand 18 x 24
C&C appreciated :)

PatrickHedges
04-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Well, this looks like it will be stunning.

My recommendation is to do a stack of the background first. If you get bored with it and feel the need to go onto another area, what I'd do is work on another piece to break that monotony. That way, once you have a lot of light background done, you'll be able to work the values easier.

lorna12
04-05-2011, 12:42 AM
What you've done of the manes looks terrific to me! I agree with Patrick...getting that background done or mostly done will help you. It's a great picture and will be a great scratchboard too.

artofnature
04-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Hi Eilis, you have been busy. What a beautiful reference photo. I love these reined horses.

I think the mane is very well scratched on the back but you have chosen the f/g for the front hair. I like the back hair better. Maybe you could gently ink over the front mane and do it the same way as the neck hair. It could look a bit strange having 2 different styles of hair when they are all on the same horse.

Just wondering why you are lightening the background. I think this would look fabulous black. There's enough soft blacks around the outline to give your horses body. But that's just my opinion. It's your work of art and not everyone has the same idea about constructing a painting. Be a boring world if we did eh?

I am sure that whatever you do it's going to be fabulous as I saw the first one you did of haltered horses and it was stunning.

Did it cost you much to have that board sent from the USA if you don't mind me asking. I think the bigger the post box the more expensive the postage rises.

MuttHut
04-05-2011, 01:50 AM
This is coming along nicely, cudo's to you on background, your much braver than I.

Wendy

caribouhills
04-05-2011, 04:37 AM
This is going to be great when you are finished Eilis. With the BG you are doing this should really striking. I have to say, that is the strangest blinders I have seen.

Rodman
04-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Eilis.... what a cool shot to work from...love the wind blown hair. The scratching looks great on what you have done.... it doesn't look like you struggled with any of it. ...nothing looks labored to me. Your bg is so cool...Are you left handed? Some of the bg looks like it a lefty did it. ( odd thing to say...I know )

fire angel
04-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Great start on this one!! It doesn't look like you are struggling to me at all. Can't wait to see this one progress.

03ahmed
04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Looking great already!! I am interested to see the background progress!:)

Diana Lee
04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
You have already gotten all the advice you need so I will just pull up a chair and enjoy the show!

Diana

SammyH
04-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Interesting subject. I'll be watching, too.

tigress
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
This is going to be fun to watch. I do not know how you get that background so even-don't cough or sneeze please. That is a great pic and will be a great piece I am sure.